October 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/31/08

Happy Halloween!!

Here's a special treat for you: We're less than 100 hours from election day. If you're tired of all this campaign talk you're likely saying, "HOORAY!!". A confession: We will miss covering this election. But, hey, it's not over yet.

Tonight on AC360°, the final countdown. See how Senators McCain and Obama plan to battle it out until the end. They each have quite a ground war attack in mind these last four days. We'll have the raw politics. And, there's also the fear factor. Tonight, we'll look at why some African-Americans are worried about a possible Obama victory. We're uncovering America.

Share your thoughts during tonight's newscast by scrolling down to the comments section.

We want to hear from you!

Though, keep in mind, we can be the "Gremlins" who won't post your comments if you don't follow our guidelines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!!
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Maybe you'll spot some people in costume? We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lana

Please America, go vote for Obama, not just for America's sake, but the sake of the rest of the world! We are counting on you!

October 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Benjamin

Breaking News....If you are black or if you vote early your votes don't count....are you kidding me! Lets put this on the news so we can make viewers dumber. Can't we look past this I mean its been a few years. Come on America don't get stupid now. May the best man black, white, pink, blue, yellow win!!!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. AlaskanWannaB

I love David Gergen...although I think he is wrong about the Bradley effect.

October 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Jason

Cindi Abbott , Please dont pass on fear , she went back and checked her vote and it was not checked for obama, but she checked it and it was fine , everyone go vote make your voice heard.

October 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Lani In California

Yes Roland....purging of the rolls, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsyvania, New Mexico, Indiana.

Kudos to Govenor Crist for extending early voting hours.

October 31, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Debbie - Arkansas

I'm not African American, and I'm still concerned about all the votes being counted...and...I'm praying that there are always enough Secret Service around Obama, I don't think this nation could even imagine what would happen, if anything happened to him. I remember the days of Kennedy, Dr. King, and Robert Kennedy...what frightening, sad days those were. God Bless all of us!

October 31, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Cindi Abbott

The world is watching this election and if race is perceived to have been a factor at the end of the day, we will be a laughing stock ( and rightfully so) around the globe.

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Keith Powell

I believe the sentencing for hate crimes need to be intensified. 6 months in prison and 'X' amount of community service hours for plotting to kill Obama will hardly deter others who are just as radical from thinking and acting the same.

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

Regarding polls : wasn't it mentioned the other day that a lot of people, especially younger ppl, cannot be polled by phone because the only have cell phones? So that's a whole bunch of ppl not getting considered, and most young ppl will vote for Obama.. so the polls are not that far off when it comes to predicting an Obama win.

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Steven

Anderson,

It's not just African-Americans that are wondering if their democratic votes are going to be counted. I am a 29 y/o white student at the University of Arizona. When I went to cast my ballot the other day, they didn't ask for an ID, and said that they were checking signatures to verify. Odd enough, but I also didn't see any monitors from either party there (which I believe are supposed to be there by law). In McCain's home state, it definitely makes you wonder.

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. John

Thank you AC ..Please bring up reverse racism

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Lesley from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Barack Obama appears leap years ahead of John McCain, in all aspects. Because of McCain's last minute desperation attempts to win by 'saying' anything, it is possible he will 'do' anything to win.
    Are there supervisors/regulations in place to ensure honest counting and operation of electronic voting machines?
    How can the system be trusted?

October 31, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Rich M.

A group choosing a candidate based solely on his race will set them back 400 years. A candidate instituting socialism will set back the country 200 years. Do your homework you have only four days to study for the test. Should you fail you will be left back for four years- should the wrong candidate be elected we may pay for many years to come.

October 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. ericacnn

we don't know if the father sent his son to steal the sign, but stealing a sign at *any* age is childish and a bit pathetic. if we're so against a candidate that we want to take away someone's right to support them, there are far bigger issues here. it happens on both sides, and it is sad and scary.

October 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Terry

Hi Anderson, Erica, and the rest of the 360.

I am enjoying this election mainly because it shows how far we have come and how far we need to go. Why can't we elect the man we feel is most qualified for the Presidency. Forget color.

October 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Cindi Abbott

I agree with those who think that "undecideds" will break for McCain. I believe that this Bradley Effect might well be illustrated in this particular group because no way are these people still undecided. A fellow blogger of mine today said that she is an Obama volunteer and she made over 234 calls today and most of this group said that they had decided on McCain.

October 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Jana, Indiana

The votes that are being cast early, are they all ready being counted or will they not be counted until the polls close on Tuesday?

October 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Michael, Canada

I'm really surprised to see that people actually wait in line for eight hours to vote. In Canada, we have a very simple paper vote (no machines) and most wait times are less than fifteen minutes.

October 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Marie in Georgia

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Americans who are cynical. My thoughts are one has to proceed with life with a leap of faith. No excuses get out to vote and take as many folks with you!!1

October 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  20. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Isn't that sad what that lady said to Randi? People won't respect you due to the color of your skin. That is sad to say the least.

I for one am praying that Obama gets elected and by some miracle things like that improve in this country. Talk about long overdue.

Go Obama!

October 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  21. kim-chicago

Unlike Oprah...I voted in Chicago a few days ago and it was a piece of cake. There is a review screen that comes up before you print the paper ballot and obviously it is important to check it before you cast your vote.

October 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Diane - IL

Erica, I think the reason voting lines are so long is that there aren't as many polling places and there aren't as many workers. When I went to vote the other day, there was only one person checking in voters. 😦

October 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Minou, New York City

People are inspired to take part in politics! You gotta love that...and thank Obama for it.

October 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Brandi-bottom of the boot

@ Jolene,

i have found myself turning into a 'decided' voter at the moment i cast the vote. i dont like it when that happens, i made up my mind ahead of time for this one. 🙂

October 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Chris from STL

Would you guys please stop talking about "race" at least untill this election is over .... it is such a polarizing topic ... we are overloaded.

October 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Reggie

It's funny how Arnold was making fun of Obama's legs... I'm sure Obama can outrun McCain any day of the week

October 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Emma

Hi Erica, I live in GA. I just voted about an hour ago. It was a long 3 hour wait but I didn't experience any problems.

October 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Chris, Missouri

I wish we had early voting in Missouri. Luckily I live in a small town so hopefully it will be easy. I hope this swing state turns blue this year.

October 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Karin - Canada

If you believe in your chosen candidate you MUST vote. Yes, you might have to wait for a period of time... but let me remind you that in countries where the fight to vote often has been bloody, it is no small sacrifies to stand in line.

October 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Cindi Abbott

I know just how these folks feel because I have that same paranoid feeling about the Republicans "stealing" elections and I am Caucasian.

October 31, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Jane, WV

I'm from West Virginia, which traditionally has conservative republican ideals and went Bush both times, but I've never seen so much support for a democratic presidential candidate. I'm predictiing an upset for Obama in WV, especially bc of students. Some of my classmates are going to Obama's party in Chicago tuesday night, I'm so jealous!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Diane - IL

I thought my district's polling methods were a bit antiquated, but after hearing that Oprah had problems with the electronic machine, I'll take the old fill in the dot scantron anytime.

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Josh

Are the state polls that show the individual counties available on the CNN website?

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  34. MaryBeth

I was surprised I didn't have to wait longer. I live in Chicago and I voted yesterday, the last day of early voting at the downtown place...and the whole thing took about an hour and 15 minutes.

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Melinda

It looked like there were no parking places at my voting place. The line was long, but it only took 25 minutes!

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  36. John

sorry a little behind on that one -voting any day or time , no matter how long you wait it is worth it ...it is yours and one of your only rights lefts

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Jane Toms

It is a shame we dont see Obama as biracial, but just black.
    If his mom were alive today, God bless her soul, I wonder how this would have played out. Time to tear down the racial characterization.

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. John W Chicago

This my first election..vote McCain..America, you know we don't need Oblaima.

October 31, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Sam

Steve, I agree with you on the total mayhem. This one will be worse than 2000.

October 31, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Will Powers

With so many people voting early and the Dems outnumbering the GOP in early voting, will that make the exit polls that the networks use to predict the outcome in a state less accurate and reliable, too?

October 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Felicia (Georgia)

I agree with all the other bloggers concerning the cheap shot by Arnold on Obama's physique. Down low by a low down!

October 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Marian Martin

Anderson, McCain seems too happy about where he is in the election, could it be that he and his far right know that they will be able to steal the election as before?

October 31, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Cindi Abbott

Wow, if Oprah was disenfranchised, the rest of us might as well forget it.

October 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

I went to get an absentee ballot today, and just walked in filled it out and left in 5 min.

October 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Steve - southern Illinois

What kind of father sends his nine-year-old kid to steal an Obama sign? I hate to think of the hate that kid's getting taught.

October 31, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Ashly

Early voting went fast today for me! I waited in line for (at the most) 15-20 mins.

October 31, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Marshall St. Louis

Mr, Gergen do you think that if Obama loeses the election it will be because of race and if it is, what does it say about the state of the country.

October 31, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse NY

Does Obama ever give a yes or no answer? He always says he'll consider this, or examine that. I guess what he really means is he'll conduct a poll and find out what's more popular.

October 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Sara

I'm surprised that you guys are finally questioning the polls. It seems like you've spent weeks telling us Obama is going to win.

October 31, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Renee

Tammy, I agree. The economy is in the tank. Most working people can not afford to stand in line for 2 hours or more. Early voting this weekend is one of their only options.

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |