October 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/31/08

Happy Halloween!!

Here's a special treat for you: We're less than 100 hours from election day. If you're tired of all this campaign talk you're likely saying, "HOORAY!!". A confession: We will miss covering this election. But, hey, it's not over yet.

Tonight on AC360°, the final countdown. See how Senators McCain and Obama plan to battle it out until the end. They each have quite a ground war attack in mind these last four days. We'll have the raw politics. And, there's also the fear factor. Tonight, we'll look at why some African-Americans are worried about a possible Obama victory. We're uncovering America.

Share your thoughts during tonight's newscast by scrolling down to the comments section.

We want to hear from you!

Though, keep in mind, we can be the "Gremlins" who won't post your comments if you don't follow our guidelines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!!
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Maybe you'll spot some people in costume? We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Minette

I have yet to hear about the impact of college voters in this election. As a college student, myself, I sense a stir among the college students that perhaps has potential to produce a significant effect.

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Sandra

Early voters in the past have been predominatly white, male, older, and republican. Quite the opposite this time around. If I were McCain (which I am glad I am not!), I would be in a panic. And, from all accounts the early voters are coming out in droves!

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  3. ericacnn

Tammy, I know you're nervous about the early voting lines, but the positive here is that people are voting.

Plus, when I lived in GA, it seemed every time the early voting started, the lines and the wait were ridiculous. I don't really get it, but I will say when I went to vote on Election Day each time, it was a breeze and hardly a wait.

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Desirae, Mount vernon, N.Y

I think there is some white voter that say they going to vote for mccan but, in the voting both they will vote for obama

October 31, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Kim

I'm glad to see that Obama is running up to the finish line. I think he has demonstrated his endurance seeing the election through to it's end. McCain doesn't seem to have a coherent message at this point, there's been too much going in all different directions. Perhaps an understanding of Marxism (not practice because that idea is silly since it is a theory, not a practice) provided Obama with the ability to recognize the consequences of rampant capitolism and consolidation of wealth?

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Cynthia

Congratulations Ashly on voting for the first time.

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Janine from PA.

People should stop obsessing about the election, either candidate is a billion times better then bush.

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  8. Steve - southern Illinois

LOL at the electrified campaign sign. I love that idea.

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Cheryl K., Sask. ,Canada

Hi Anderson & Erica,

Tonight is my first time blogging. Hi everybody.

A very close race it is. I believe the wonderful USA is headed for a
    welcomed change and a historical one at that. How exciting! Good
    luck to all you voters.

Anderson, your show is great, love watching it!

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  10. John W Chicago

I love Sarah Palin...she's a breath of fresh air and not a typical politician.

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Brandi-bottom of the boot

haha, shocking campaign signs! yeah, i remember snatching a few in my younger years. no electricity connected. lol

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Mabel - VA

I think that this reverse bradley effect scenario is idealistic. Even if there were enough black people in the US to only vote for Obama because he is black, they wouldn't be able to win him the election by themselves nor offset the numbers of people who hold specific prejudices and chose Not to vote for him because he's black.

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Karin - Canada

In contrast to statistics regarding the percentage of liberals as quoted ... I like to know what the percentage of right wing republicans are in relation to the populaton of the US.

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Halloween.
    I've voted early for several Presidential elections–it's great not to be pressed for time. It seems to be becoming more of a necessity to have a wide span of time to accomodate everyone, though. I hope people are able to vote on Nov. 4th without the polls closing before everyone who wants to vote is able to.

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. judy

Please everyone...vote early!

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Jade

The Bradly Effect has worn off? David gergen, I don't think so, I know alot of people that won't vote for Obama just because of his race.

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Ashly

This is my very first election! Vote dem...Gobama...America you know we mccant.....

choose or lose...

October 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Larry

I keep hearing comments about the Bradley effect. Has anyone given thought to the possiblity of a reverse Bradley effect? People not wanting to say they are going to vote for Barack yet will!

October 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Amina from TN

Anderson
    great point about not believing in polls. i the past few weeks i gave up on polls so i wont be misled once again.

Alex is write about the McCain camp not having much passion about building up...

i don't think this will be a close election. either Barack will win drastically,or he will lose because of the Bradly effect. thats the reality

October 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Jeri Pittsburgh

I think it is absolutely terrible for anyone in this country to have to wait in line more than one half hour to vote. This isn't a third world country, this is America, the United States of America. I am in Pennsylvania. We do not have early voting. I have taken a vacation day to help the election as a supporter. I think all states should have early voting.

October 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Jade

The Bradly Effect has worn off? David gergen, I don't think so, I know alot of people that won't vote for a black Obama just because of his race.

October 31, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Bob

This is not a desperate move of McCain but a panic attempt of the republican party to keep face.

October 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Cynthia

The McCain camp has been doing that every since the primaries before we even knew who the Democratic nominee was.

October 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Rick

I think some people are waiting because they want change but maybe they are not sure which change they want.

October 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Fjola, NC

I say don't pay attention to the polls, just do your part and vote. And make sure everyone you know votes as well. And when you go to vote, go prepared, some water, some skittles, some reading material.

October 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. John

A poll is merely an educated prediction based on a set of data. If the data is biased, so will the prediction.

October 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Steve - southern Illinois

I predict total mayhem on Election Day. I think all this electronic voting has screwed things up.

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Sam

If people haven't been paying attention, I'd like to know what they've been watching, reading or listening to. Its impossible to not pay attention this year!

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Melinda

I think this election will not be as close as the others. I am thinking we will see a landslide Tuesday night.

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. EJ (USA)

I also think that the black turnout will be much higher – as Gergen said.

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Those "undecided" voters could still be undecided simply because they aren't happy with either candidate and can't make up their mind.

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Cindi Abbott

I am getting nervous about Pennsylvania. I think Obama should be working harder to make sure that he can hold serve in this state. Hope I'm wrong, but I think that Florida,Ohio, and Missouri will go red at the end of the day. Obama cannot afford to lose Pennsylvania too.

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Maureen T

David Gergen, not all blacks are Democrats though! There are a lot of black Republicans!

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Sylvia

A very strange presidential campaign no doubt about that is coming to the end on Tuesday. Good luck for everybody.
    Happy Halloween to Anderson, Erica and all the bloggers!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  35. David

If Obama pulled off Tennessee…can you just Imagine it? Sweet!

October 31, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Belinda

I hope this weekend flies by! I am obsessed with the election and can't wait for Tues.

October 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Steve

It's scary when John Mccain speaks he seens to be so angry.
    He's not relaxed like Barack Obama

October 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Linda

Things look good for Obama, but I will be nervous until Tuesday.

October 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Chris from STL

I can't believe that there are voters still undecided, unless they are aliens just landed from another planet!

October 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. AJ, Minneapolis

If John McCain would have picked Mitt Romney or Tim Pawlenty, the GOP would have never been in this situation to begin with....

October 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Esther M Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

i think the polls are way off with so many people having cell phones they don't even really know who those people are anymore. ma bell is not in charge

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Bless your heart Anderson. You can't trust polls. They are merely a broad "What If" when they depend on the honesty of the people polled.

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. David

Obama is The Man.

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Steve - southern Illinois

I wonder how many "undecideds" there will be on November 5? What a joke.

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Maureen T

The polls are just to keep the media talking. We will not know until November 5, 2008, okay!?

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. John W Chicago

McCain's speech just brought tears to my eyes...

October 31, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Sam

I am one who believes this will be over before the polls close on the west coast. I think people are tired of the angry republicans; I know I am!

October 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Chris from STL

This is the same Arnold, who was asking the fed to bail his state out with 7 billion dollars ...

October 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Danney, Manitoba Canada

Hello my southern brothers and sisters ... vote Obama!! Dont make the same mistake and suffer another 4 years!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Maureen T

How much of a lift has Arnold brought to the McCain campaign, David Gergen?

October 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |