October 31st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/31/08

Happy Halloween!!

Here's a special treat for you: We're less than 100 hours from election day. If you're tired of all this campaign talk you're likely saying, "HOORAY!!". A confession: We will miss covering this election. But, hey, it's not over yet.

Tonight on AC360°, the final countdown. See how Senators McCain and Obama plan to battle it out until the end. They each have quite a ground war attack in mind these last four days. We'll have the raw politics. And, there's also the fear factor. Tonight, we'll look at why some African-Americans are worried about a possible Obama victory. We're uncovering America.

Share your thoughts during tonight's newscast by scrolling down to the comments section.

We want to hear from you!

Though, keep in mind, we can be the "Gremlins" who won't post your comments if you don't follow our guidelines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short
2) NO CAPS!!!
3) Stay on topic

Don't forget to watch Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST.

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Maybe you'll spot some people in costume? We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Desirae, Mount vernon, N.Y

4 more days for change

October 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Carl

What is McCain insinuating when he says at the end of his monologue that , "I am an american". Is he trying to say that Obama isn't?

October 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Effie

Hi Anderson,
    These polls showing McCain inching closer to Obama are very scary indeed on this Halloween night!

Boo to you!

October 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Isaac Mitchell, Anderson, Indiana

Just wanted to let you know, I went to cast my early vote today here in Madison County. The lines were INCREDIBLE!!! 2-3 hour wait to vote. I've never seen anything like it here!!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  5. georgia wilcox

In Missouri we have a contest for govenor with a DEM. leading. Don't you think that this could be the deciding factor that carries Obama to victory?

Georgia

October 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Robert

I 'd rather take advice from Warren Buffett concerning the economy than to take advice from Gov Arnold of California ,since Gov. Arnold has California $7 billions in the RED . What, yes in the RED Zone not football but monetary Red Zone . If Sen. McCain really wanted change he'll consult someone who knows how to keep things profitable. Is California asking for a welfare check

October 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Indiana could go Obama, lots of democrats here, you'd be surprised. But it is the reddest of red states. Beautiful state.

October 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Linda

If I were McCan, I would feel rather sick about such a small lead in my home state.

October 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  9. sean madden

are those that have voted early still counted in the current polls?

October 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Karin - Canada

How can anyone still be undecided who to vote for. Wasn't the campaign long enough for them to know? Just imagine if they had to choose between three major candidates?

October 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Tammy, Iowa

I don't know about you...but I'm nervous!! The long wait at the polls worry me and I hope everyone takes this election as serious as it needs to be and be willing to wait in line!

October 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Mark Barbeau

I'm am completely baffled that any voter could still be undecided. Have they not been paying attention? These 2 candidates have run very different campaigns, one positive and full of hope, the other negative and rife with attacks. They offer completely different policy proposals If you really can't decide at this point, maybe you shouldn't vote.

October 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Debbie - Arkansas

I think Obama's legs will carry him quite nicely to the White House!!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  14. Sandra

Have a haunting Halloween! Will miss all the excitement of a presidential election year, especially this one but what an incredible ride it has been. Hoping Obama wins in a landslide!

October 31, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Phil Young

I have not heard any discussion on the Electoral College voting per expectation. Can the Electoral College go rouge and vote against the expectation?

October 31, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Carol

Do you think if a voter is still undecided that they just won't vote?

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Jean

First Sen. McCain says Sen. Obama isn't ready to lead, then, when it looks as if Sen. Obama might be preparing for the possibility of leading, Sen. McCain says he's being presumptuous.

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  18. William Courtland

Can you describe each of the electoral methods used in each State and so better describe the exampled differences in State method, and displayed while using that screen map, so showing the divisions between the nominational zones of some States which adopted that method?

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Robin - Texas

I think the race is going to be much closer than what some of the polls are indicating. Besides, there are people that don't even start paying close attention until like the final days, if you can imagine that.
    Oh well, each to his own.

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Ken in NC

I sure hope the election does not get any worse than it already is. I am so sick and tired of all the nasty ads and Robo-calls and all the lies from both sides.

I must admit that I also lost respect for McCain when he picked THAT WOMAN and when he made the comment that the campaign got down and dirty because Senator Obama did not join him on the Town Hall Meetings. I thought that was so childish of him to do that because his opponent did not do as he asked him to do.

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Robert Greene

Obama's speech in Indiana brought tears to my eyes!

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  22. shirley

My husband and I live here in Oregon. We vote my mail. Wouldn't
    it be eaiser if ALL states had mail-in voiting???? It would stop all the
    long lines, machine glitches, people & security at the voting places, etc. What is your in-put on this??? Thanks

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Jai

As a Californian, I can't believe that Arnold is out validating McCain when this so-called CEO of California can't even manage his own state affairs. But that would be like McCain, he has Sarah Palin, Joe the Plumber and now Arnold the Terminator who should be terminated. I am annoyed by his appearance. He needs to handle our state business!

October 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

It is amazing to see John King touch hand magic wall!!! that is so interesting new poll tonight....... Thanks John King......

25. Reggie

I have a hard time understanding how some people are still "undecided" ... we are less than 100 hours away from the next president!!
    what is influencing these poll numbers to change so much?

26. Jersay Volcom

Arizona closer for Obama. Intrusting.

27. Deverson

Hello everyone

Happy Halloween. how is everyone doing today.

Arnold got me upset today. His comments about Barack were lies and not necessary. I guess he doesn't know his state and his wife is voting for Obama

28. Christopher Wagner

Maybe Arnold is hoping that if he could help McCain get in, he will help get California some money.

29. Anton

Hi, Anderson and Erica! I hope all is well. I am from Los Angeles and I look forward to voting on Tuesday. I hope the lines are not as bad as they are in Atlanta.

Happy Halloween everyone and please go vote!

30. Belinda

What an upset that would be if McCain lost his home state.

31. Linda

When Oregon went to mail-in voting, I was a tad skeptical. However, it works fabulously. No waiting in line and plenty of time to review the ballot measures! And, so far no problems with fraudulent voting. I voted last week and now I am anxiously awaiting Tuesday. Happy Halloween!

32. Rob

Doesn't California have a budget crisis just like the Federal Government? Arnold the budget extravagator and suplus terminator. I would really run the California budget against Arnold. Making fun of somebody physical attributes shows the mental capability of Arnold.

33. Lissa

If Obama pulled off Arizona...can you just IMAGINE it?! Sweeeet!

34. Jeri Pittsburgh

Arnold is a has been. His state is so much in debt, he was asking for a bail out and he is here to support McCain on the economy???

35. Ursula Garfield

So McCain introduced Arnold as "a true American hero". Why? McCain does understand that those "heroic" acts were just movies doesn't he?

36. kim-chicago

It must be very interesting in the schwarzenegger house this week...Maria can't be too happy about the new McCain spokesperson. My neighbors have both an Obama/Biden & a McCain/Palin sign in their yard....gotta love these bi-partisan marriages.

37. Jason King

We here in Jacksonville , Real America , and Real Navy thing that the race is over . Who like officers anyway ... forget the polls just ask around yes people are going to vote for McCain but even they know its very bleek and some are leaning the other way.

38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I took the Arnold's "skinny legs" comment in jest. I don't think Arnold was insulting Obama.

October 31, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Jade

I find it odd that Arnold Schwarzenegeer is for McCain and his wife is for Obama.

October 31, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  40. fadia

hey anderson happy halloween, watz up with the web cam?

October 31, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  41. david

obama is going to win tennessee!!!!

October 31, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Greg

Arnold questioned Obamas meat????

What meat has McCain provided towards his supposed policies????
    NONE!!!! All he has done is make promises without stating how he will pay for them as well as his persistent war againts Iraq.
    He LIES way too much along with Palin which proves NO TRANSPARENCY would be provided by them.

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

Hey everybody. Happy Halloween.

Can this campaign get any nastier? We've been rollling in the muck for months now, ro raking, just rolling, well a little raking.

Why can't pundits admit they were wrong about Sarah Palin? She's allright. Now everyone's asking about future plans to run for pres.

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Nasiha R.

This just keeps getting weirder, First Joe the Plumber becoming a hero, and now Arnold commenting on Obama's legs? These 4 days will just get more exciting...

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. robert wright ( bahamas)

we pulling for obama in the bahamas

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. ronni

Go Obama!!! We need change and he can give it to us!!!
    Happy Halloween Everyone

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  47. EJ (USA)

For early voting – perhaps they should have just hired more poll workers and do a 24/7 type operation in some states (like Florida). Or do what Nevada did and have the voting in malls.

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Patricia McAtee

Although I am a news and political junkie, I am so nervous about this election that I am glad that the stress will be over on Tuesday. I think I will hold my breath all day. Anderson, you are great!

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Paolo

Hi Everyone, going back to Candy and Ed's accounts, we shouldn't count McCain out. These last 100 hours are an eternity and we may get a late trick-or-treat. Fortunes of candidates can change in seconds.

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Amina from TN

arnold cracks me up.
    but why is he using him now? isn't he alittle too late.

October 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |