October 29th, 2008

PLANET IN PERIL: Battle Lines – 'Elephant Poaching'

Check out the amazing photographs from the Planet in Peril team's trip to Chad. Special Correspondent Lisa Ling is in Zakouma National Park in southeastern Chad, to report on the disappearance of the Central African Elephant from the region.

Filed under: Planet in Peril • T1
  1. Tracy Barreto

I can't understand why they would do these amazing creatures like this- IVORY- How much money is in that? I was not aware of the degree of brutality until your coverage. How can we save these animals? It breaks my heart to know we value diamonds, ivory and things of this nature when the cost of these are not just money but our humanity and eventually our survival.

October 30, 2008 at 12:43 am |
  2. Sandra Robertson

Man has waged war against nature's inhabitants with such a vengence. Once the elephants cease to exist, poachers will keep moving about the lands destroying others, such as the rhino, also for their precious horns, and primates for their meat, hands and feet.
    I hope and pray for more allies to join together with the anti-poaching patrols, in order to ensure the survival of these, God's creatures.

October 29, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  3. Don, WA

These photographs show how much better tusks look on a breathing elephant than any other form ivory can take.

October 29, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  4. Joy, Fort Gordon, Georgia

It is just sad, when I was sixteen my parents took my brother and me to New Orleans, in the French Quarter we went into a shop that had handmade pieces from different countries, as tourists we were taking photos of everything, but as soon as the owners saw the camera we were asked to leave the shop. The reason was that they had items made out of illegally obtained ivory. When we got home I placed the pictures in an envelope with a letter I wrote to my Congressman requesting stricter actions on behalf of these majestic animals. Unfortunately, things have not changed since I was sixteen, I am now thirty years old and these creatures lives are still in peril.

October 29, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

The elephants are magnificent; its hard to look at the pictures of them alive and then the ones where they were killed for their ivory tusks. I hope the market for ivory dries up as awareness increases about the ultimate cost of ivory. Thank you for the pictures and for the story; I am looking forward to seeing PIP2.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 29, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  6. sharon from Indy

It is awful, just awful to see the remains of such beautiful animals.

October 29, 2008 at 7:07 pm |
  7. Vicky, Ottawa, ON

What incredibly sad pictures amongst some of the most beautiful photographs of landscape and live animals I've ever seen. Glad to know Neil's still on the job, and his photographs are, as always, amazing and moving.

October 29, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  8. jim

It is sad that nothing can be done to help save endangered animals in Africa. First African countries cannot manage themselves much less wild animals. Unfortunately there is nothing capitalist or communist countries can do to protect these animals. Even Jack Cafferty's messiah Barack Hussein Obama can do nothing to stop the poaching.

October 29, 2008 at 6:40 pm |
  9. JC- Los Angeles

Keep up the great coverage of these pressing issues involving the wonders of the world; safe travels.

October 29, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  10. Rachel Farris

Elephants are one of the smartest animals on this planet. It is heartbreaking to think these wonderful giants are being abused and poached. I wish there would be more people go in and try to take care of them. They have done the gorilla's the same way. I hope those people are caught and prosecuted! Elephants are as social and have family values more so than some of these sick morons who are killing them!

October 29, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  11. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

There is nothing like a good photograph to tell the story. You don’t even need words to describe them. Not only can you see the beauty but also the heartrending plight of these massive creatures. Perhaps more awareness of what is happening to the elephants and how hard it is to protect them from poachers will stop people from wanting ivory products so I'm glad PIP2 is investigating this. I see that Ebay is banning the sale of ivory products on their site starting this December. This may not stop the poaching but it’s a good start.

October 29, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  12. Heidi B

I am lost for words

October 29, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  13. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there,
    I was very moved when I read Lisa Ling's previous post about this subject. The pictures are exactly as she described. It's an amazingly horrible situation. The elephants are such beautiful, magnificent creatures – my heart goes out. Man and his greed for ivory is sickening indeed. Thanks for bringing this issue and their terrible plight before the public eye – I'll be watching Planet in Peril in December. Can't wait!! Thanks for all you do! Have a great day.

October 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  14. Vegas

The people there have nothing... and Elephant goes a long way... as sad as it is you can almost understand it...

A poacher can feed his family for a month or more off one tusk... it's terrible people in the world still have to live like this...

October 29, 2008 at 5:04 pm |