October 28th, 2008

Jennifer Hudson's Triple Tragedy

A memorial for the Hudson family stands outside Darnell Donerson's home in Chicago, Illinois, on Tuesday.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

What family, friends and fans suspected has been confirmed. The Cook County medical examiner's office has ruled the death of actress Jennifer Hudson's nephew a homicide.

Authorities say 7 year old Julian King died of multiple gunshot wounds, but they're not saying where on his body. And, they haven't determined when he died.

The boy was found yesterday shot to death in the back seat of an abandoned Chevrolet Suburban on Chicago's West Side.

The discovery came three days after Hudson's mother and brother were found shot to death in their home in the city's South Side.

Jennifer Hudson had the grim task of helping identify all three family members at the medical examiner's office.

The boy's mother, Julia Hudson, wrote about the triple tragedy on her myspace page.

"Now because I chose to do what was natural to me and love someone, it cost me my beautiful family. It cost me my beautiful, loving, supporting mother Darnell, my true blue baby brother Jason – I love u big baby – and last but never least, my only son Julian, my innocent baby one that was sheltered from all the evil in the world because we loved him so much."

Julia Hudson goes on to thank all of those who have supported her family and concluded the post by writing,

"His lil soul is at ease. I take comfort in knowing that Julian is with my mother and my brother and most of all the Lord, and now he's my angel, he's protecting me."

No charges have been filed against anyone in the triple murder case.

However, William Balfour, 27, who is Julian's stepfather and Julia Hudson's estranged husband, was detained over the weekend for questioning in connection to the case, police told CNN.

Balfour is being held on a parole violation. According to court records, he spent seven years in prison for attempted murder, vehicular hijacking and possessing a stolen vehicle.

His mother, Michele Davis-Balfour, told CNN her son has nothing to do with the murders.

"I'm sorry this has happened to this girl's family, but they're not going to put it on my own son," she said.

We'll have the latest developments on this case tonight on 360°.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Maureen Miller
  1. Renee

jennifer,
    Our hearts go out to you and your family we pray that in time God will heal your hearts and surround you with his loving kindness. We will continue to pray for you and your sister. May God continue to love on you and your family.

October 28, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  2. Cadillac855

My prayer are with the family too. I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that. I live not too far from the crime scene. I live in englewood too. It's a bad neighborhood ,but we can't blame it on that because it was domestic. What did that child do to deserve that? Also my prayers are with the childs father.

October 28, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Jennifer,
    My thoughts and prayer with you..... My heart breaking for you and your family...... I am sorry about your mom, brother, and nephew. My smypathy for you and your family........ you are my favorite fan actress and singer...... God Bless You!!!

October 28, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  4. Vickie MO.

Quit giving life sentence's to these people who commit murder. Bring back the death penalty and let them know that, this type of crime will not be tolerated. Maybe, if, the law were already in effect. We would have room in the cell's for other crime offender's! And, we worry about terrorist's from other countries! We have terrorist's within our own back yard. How many people die each day, because an "American" killed them? Our government has set a fine example of what war means. We talk about killing but, no one wants to talk about the dead. God Bless You, Hudson Family !

October 28, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  5. Bambi

Jennifer,
    We are all so sorry for your loss. Just know that their are prayers and thoughts with you in mind. Stay strong and let God lead you through.

October 28, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  6. Max

So awful.

So sad.

October 28, 2008 at 6:55 pm |
  7. Melinda

To the Hudson family our hearts and prayers are with you. I pray that God's peace will flow through your hearts and give you comfort. It is a very sad day to loose the ones we love, especially to tragedy or disease. Please know that God is faithful, He will be your strength even when you feel you have none. (psalms 92:2)

October 28, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  8. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Such a tragic affair. My thoughts and prayers are with Ms. Hudson and family.
    God speed~

October 28, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  9. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

My sincere condolences to the family. This is an American tragedy.

October 28, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

My sympathy goes out to Jennifer and Julia in this horrible horrible tragedy. I just cringed when I heard the reports that Jennifer had to identify the bodies – what an awful thing to have to do. I hope she can forget the image of them when she identified them and remember them all in good times – happy times. I cannot even imagine the grief the family is going through right now. I hope for their sake that the police find who did this and at least find out why. It won't bring them back but at least Jennifer and Julia will know why they died.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

October 28, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  11. Lori, Boston

I'll keep Jennifer and her sister in my prayers. It is so sad. God bless them and grant them peace.

October 28, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  12. Heather,ca

Its one thing to lose your family to terminal illness or to a car accident, but no one should ever have to go through this. This is beyond horrible or tragic. I feel terrible for her and the rest of her family. No matter how much one has or how much success they achieve, being able to share it with your family is what always matters most. She shouldnt have to go through this. Her family didnt deserve to be treated this way. The great sadness I feel pales in comparison to the pain the family feels. I hope the legal system works and the monsters who took their lives are sentenced to a lifetime without the freedom to live theirs.

October 28, 2008 at 6:09 pm |