October 28th, 2008

"I’m Joe – not the plumber – Joe the Biden."

Editor's Note: The following report comes to us from a pool reporter on the campaign trail with Sen. Joseph Biden. We share his latest dispatch:

John Broder
New York Times

Senator Biden stopped at a Kilwin's ice cream and candy shop in a shopping mall in The Villages, a huge residential complex near Lady Lake, Fla. Before he entered the shop, he stopped at gallery next door and signed the back of a painting of John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson speaking with some of their aides. We couldn't hear any of his remarks.

Once inside the sweet shop, he ordered a single dip of chocolate chip on a sugar cone from Marilyn Fennell, who was working behind the counter. He then visited with a number of customers who crammed into the store.

It was difficult to make out much of the banter, but at one point he declared to someone, "I’m Joe – not the plumber – Joe the Biden." He asked one of the patrons, "Did ya vote already?" She replied that she had. "I love ya," he said and kissed her on the cheek.

He also met a woman who said she was from Scranton. "Oh, where?" Biden asked. She said the Green Ridge area, where he spent the first 10 years of his life.

He commented on how nice the shopping plaza and surrounding area were and said, "In Delaware, we have a law – you can adopt someone younger than you. You can adopt someone older than you. I'm available for adoption."

Many small cameras and cell phones came out.

Senator Bill Nelson, who along with his wife, Grace, joined Mr. Biden for the stop, noted that The Villages is very Republican territory.

"This is really going into the lion's den and bearding the lion," Mr. Nelson said.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Raw Politics
  1. Dani

Sen, John McCain once again relying on a gimmick with "Joe the plumber". Where is John McCain big message? Lost in "Joe the plumber". Obama is about the 21 st century and beyond.

October 28, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  2. Billy Montgomery

I wonder if old Joe ever figured out the job of the Vice President? When he an Governor Plalin had their debate She got it right on the job and duties of the Vice President and Joe wasn't even close! What did the media say? NADA, SQUAT! That's what they said. I guess giving free rides to the annointed ones is what it is all about.

October 28, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Twilla Runyon

sorry Vegas but youre wrong just like McCain and Ms Whackjob it's net not GROSS. check it out.

October 28, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Rebecca O'Neal, Chicago, IL

Joe the Biden is definitely my favorite of all the Joes....

October 28, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Jo Namio

I just love Joe Biden. I always have. He is intelligent, he is personable, he can talk to the common man without being condescending, and he has a sense of humor. ALL those things that the Republicans are so LACKING! 🙂

October 28, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  6. harriett

JOE THE LIAR PLUMMER on the campaign trail for Joeshame /Joepalin. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.!!!!!!!!!!!

October 28, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  7. Larry L.

"GREAT SOCIETY" here we go again,didn't work before for Kennedy and Johnson,won't work for Obama and Biden,Socialism will be our demise.Learn from our past failed leaders Joe.One TERM only.

October 28, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  8. nelson

Tank you Lord for McCain/Palin ticket, and free choice to decide what is good and what is bad, the future belongs to our youth, It is our responsibility to turn it over to them under the best leadership as possible.

October 28, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  9. Presley

Joe Biden is the comfort food on the Democratic ticket.
    I like Joe The Biden.

October 28, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  10. Dan in Virginia

The ice cream shop owner better hope Obama and Biden win. Otherwise, he won't get a tax break. I mean, really, how many shop owners or plumbers make $250,000?!

October 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  11. Judy Smith

Joe Biden, I think he really loves his country and the people in it. To lead this country requires but one skill, to help each other. The greedy think only of themselves.

October 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  12. Kathleen

Am I the only one who finds the whole "Joe the plumber" thing hypocritical? McCain is firmly against Obama's tax cut policy. He called it "spreading the wealth". Yet, the Joe the plumber is getting donation from Rush Limbaugh's listeners to help him pay his back taxes. Is that consider to be the same as spreading the wealth? Just another proof about how the Republicans like to help those who choose not to do the right thing. Why didn't he pay his taxes anyway?

October 28, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  13. Mari, Kentucky

I love Joe!

October 28, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  14. GAIL Centre,Al;

one question, they don't like they stop all interviews. That is so funny. They thought every news station was pro Obama, well I guess they got fooled. I would love to see the interview West had for Biden's wife, She would have turned her inside out. Even big mouth Biden didn't know what hit him. WEST YOU GO GIRL. It's a hard task to get the truth out of them

NOT BEING HAD I'M VOTING MCCAIN -PALIN 08

October 28, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  15. Amanda

THE BEST KIND OF JOE!

October 28, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  16. GAIL Centre,Al;

After the election Biden might have to call Joe the plumber, for a job. especially if he keeps on opening his big mouth. His mouth is wild as a mustang, so we have Hussien and mustang, boy, that's a team. Maybe Obama and Biden, both will have to call Joe the plumber. They will before I vote for them

I want change, and it's not a little change in my pocket. It's change, and reform. Get rid of PELOSI, AND REED, PLUS OBAMA.
    Now that is what you call change.

MCCAIN-PALIN 08

October 28, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  17. Joanne, Syracuse, NY

Awesome Joe Biden!

October 28, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  18. Ken

We love you Joe? Speak for yourself. This guy is one of the biggest crybaby's in politics. He has had two hard interviews in the whole time he's been running with Obama and he acted in a hostel and unprofessional manor. Now both the Orlando affiliate and the Pennsylvania one are both on the no interview list. Better be careful CNN if you ask tuff questions good old Uncle Joe will cry and never speak to you again. Mark my words with Obama/Bidden in office the first amendment will go away for about four years until the Obama yes we can zombies wake up and see what he really is. Great point on the tax plan Vegas, I guess the next time Joe’s there he can get Starbucks because the ice cream shop will be driven out of business.

October 28, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  19. Vegas

It's a shame when his tax bill (cause it's gross... not net... something the Obama sheep don't understand) hits the store will close... and then he will get hit with a 65% capital gains tax when he sells the property... but hey... who needs ice cream

October 28, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Danielle

We love ya Joe. Keep up the great work 🙂

October 28, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  21. Mike Bielamowicz

Why didn't he ask the lady who she voted for? I guess he knew she might have said McCain/Palin.

October 28, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  22. Mary V., Salt Lake City, UT

THANK GOD FOR JOE BIDEN!! GO JOE!

October 28, 2008 at 5:28 pm |