October 7th, 2008

McCain's desperate claim: Obama is dangerous. Vote for me if you want to live!

Arianna Huffington
Editor-in-Chief, The Huffington Post

The McCain campaign is all set to roll out its message for the last 30 days of the campaign: "We may not be good for your bank account, your mortgage, your health care, or your job security - but none of that will matter if you are dead. John McCain: If You Want to Live."

It's coming a little earlier than expected, but with an imploding economy and no solutions from the McCain camp other than yet another round of tax cuts, Team McCain is hitting the GOP's default key: Be Very Afraid!

The title of McCain's latest TV ad says it all: "Dangerous." The ad brands Obama as "dishonorable," "dangerous," and "too risky for America." That's right, folks, it time to appeal to the voters' Lizard Brains.

For the moment, McCain is allowing his high-sticking hockey mom to lead the fear-mongering parade, accusing Obama of "palling around with terrorists" and not seeing America "like you and I see America." For bad measure, Palin also teamed up with her mentor Bill "Henry Higgins" Kristol to re-pry the manhole cover off the Jeremiah Wright sewer.

But Palin's Alaska crude will soon be mixed with McCain's own Maverick mud. At a Colorado town hall last Thursday, McCain was asked, "When are you going to take the gloves off?" His grinning reply: "How about Tuesday night?" So how long into Debate II do you think it will be before McCain brings up Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, or Tony Rezko?

Clearly, McCain has concluded that the only way he can get enough votes is to pay for them with his once-valued dignity and honor. And it appears he's not planning to leave any of that precious personal capital in the bank by the time election day rolls around.

So here it comes. One last desperate, pathetic, sordid attempt to distract the country from anything resembling a real debate about a real issue. Don't have health care? Rezko, Rezko, Rezko. Wonder why our financial system is on the brink of collapse? Ayers, Ayers, Ayers. Worried about whether we'll ever get out of Iraq? Wright, Wright, Wright.

Read more...

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. nate

Arianna,

I have thought about my vote as well as its great importance in this historical Presidential campaign which is going to John McCain. The reason for this is very simple, John McCain loves his country and will do what is right even when his decisions are unpopular. His life story speaks to his great character and honesty. Regardless of what you say in your well written literary piece, my vote is for John McCain!

October 7, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  2. Kathleen Shipley

We have looked too long into the face of hate and fear in this country and it is time to say Enough! No more threats of what could happen in the future just to cover up what is happening right now. Senator Obama may very well be our last and finest hope.

October 7, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  3. suki

McCain has truly shown what he is all about – fear mongering and lying and he selected Palin because she is just as bad

When you are unable to speak about issues you resort to speaking about everything else – McCain has no economic plan and yet he criticizes Obama

McCain is clearly out of touch with what we the American people are going through – he and his VP candidate should not be bringing up Bill Ayers or Rev Wright when McCain and Palin have had more than their fair share of troubling associations themselves

McCain is desperate and pathetic and he thinks this new tactic will win him votes – he has decided if you can't win on issues then just sling mud – good luck Mad Dog

October 7, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  4. Brandi

I agree with Ariana, anything McCain can do to "throw" this election he will do even if means inciting a hateful race war accusing an INNOCENT man of terrorism. It really is reprehensible.

And for the gentleman who posted earlier that he is voting for McCain because:

"I am voting for Senator McCain because he values and respects life."

No he does not. Do you think that McCain is "valuing" any of the American lives already here, like Senator Obama, his wife and his 2 very innocent beautiful children! I do not think having a rally where people are yelling "KILL HIM!!" is valuing life. Call me crazy... but I'm so tired of all the right-wing BS w/ this prolife crap! Oh geez lets not support abortion but lets support WAR that KILLS innocent men and children in a horrific way ...more so than any abortion does! LETS TALK ABOUT IT! You are all brain-washed and to say McCain is going to lead us to a better economy, HELLO!? he supports Bush economics, have you been watching the news lately...! What economy?

October 7, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  5. Jordan (Minnesota)

The Huffington Post lost all credibility in my mind when Hilary regiritated false rumors that Palin decreased funding for children of special needs by 62% on September 9th with no correction by Larry King, and then again on September 10th with a three-hour delayed correction by Wolf Blitzer. Hillary Rosen was such a coward, she wouldn't admit her deceit on camera. Face it CNN, The Huffington Post has dragged your name in the mud.

October 7, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  6. DR

I'm scared, scared that stupid ignorant people will vote for the McCain -Palin Ticket. Every time I hear the words Joe Six Pack I know she's saying red-neck racists. She should not use inflamiltory words. She's truly just a trashy bigot who should have never held any office. Certainly the VP! I think she should be drummed out by the GOB unless they all want to be voted out of office. This kind of racist, disgusting low-life behavior is not what America is about. IT is not what Obama is about. We need to elect Obama as he and Biden are the BEST candidates for the job. I too will not go to the back of the bus because the whole bus belongs to all of us. Racists are wanted in this country, not now, not ever. No McCain Noway.

October 7, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  7. Erik

If Democrats were republicans, this single issue off some one shouting out "Kill him" in a rally would be a total game changer. This should put Sarah Palin in defensive. But guess what, there is no Democratic Senetor, congressman, or anyone out there that has the guts to challenge this non sense.

October 7, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  8. Jim

"You shall know them by their fruits"- A Good tree does not produce Evil fruit- A Bad tree does not produce good fruit- If you put frosting on a Cow patty its still a cow patty. Better put your wading boots on cause were gonna be in it deep tonight.

October 7, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  9. Wes in Texas

The right is showing,there true colors,and there crowds,want to smell blood in the water.There's nothing,nothing they won't do,to win.The far-right sold there soul,when they,did what they did,to Sen. Cleland.I feel sorry,for Sarah Palins son,in Iraq.He needs to hide with the muslims,to protect,him from the republicans,till after the election.

October 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  10. Annie Barrett

I'm voting for McCain/Palin because I don't want terrorists or Muslims in our White House. Obama has ties to Kenya (all his relatives are Muslims) and Chicago (terrorist Ayres). I'd feel safer if McCain was in the White House and I'm sure he would have our best interests at heart. NOBAMA!!!!!

October 7, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  11. Republican for Obama

It's funny and scary how McCain has portrayed himself as a maverick reformer who wants to change the tone in Washington, but now he is resorting to the same old tactics. At the same time, I didn't expect Obama to hold the Keating 5 scandal over McCain's head. That was a brilliant move, considering the economic crisis we're in. Hopefully, McCain will resort to actually talking about the issues tonight instead of insinuating Obama is a terrorist and maybe he won't lose too big next month.

October 7, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  12. GAIL Centre,Al;

Obama has been running for this office for over 20 months., and we know nothing about him, thanks to the bias media. There's no doubt about Mccain I'll take my chances with him. I don't want a bunch of militants in the whitehouse, our country deserves better than the likes of Obama. I hate the thought of Michelle Obama being the first lady, they have always been some one admired, who in the hell could admire Michelle Obama.

OBAMA THE BRIDGE TO THE UNKNOWN
    SCARES ME TO DEATH

October 7, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  13. Surafel Melaku

Keep it real Anderson, report why John McCain hate black people?

October 7, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  14. Richelle Stafford

What about Palin's ties to the Alaska Independent organization? This is a group whose leader denounced America, and wanted the State of Alaska to break away from the rest of the country. Palin and her husband were involved with this organizaton for years...WHY isn't anyone talking about this????????

It's only fair!!! We (the American people) have a right to know!!!

Richelle

October 7, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  15. Gina

So the gloves come off and the ignorance spews. McCain and company have crossed the line. Scare tactics, placing panic on the campaign trail. McCain is a very crazy man, and his Puppet Palin,
    is a disgrace to women everywhere, hockey moms, soccer moms,
    any mom and no mom at all.....she is bringing you down. She stoops
    lower and lower.....this is an awful defermation of character, I don't think anyone has swung this low.
    Terror at home....supported by John McCain and Puppet Palin.

October 7, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  16. Jim

I am hearing that within days a video of Obama is about to be released to the public that will make Rev. Wright's rantings pale in comparison. CNN will be behind in the reporting the story since it will cast a shadow on past judgements and praises of Obama.......

October 7, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  17. scott german

when these questions about past associations arise, can't it be said that associations with a secessionist movement (mr. palin) is at least as questionable and certainly closer to the vp candidate. her husband. and if that's not palin' around (no pun intended) with people who don't share "our view" of america, i don't know what is anymore.

October 7, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  18. Vickie MO.

McCain's strategies should kick him off the polls...Very Non- American! If, McCain can treat his opponent in this manner. Scary what he will do next! Shows us what this man is capable of. I'll take my chance's with Obama any day. McCain needs to step out of the race. He's a disgrace to this country. And, its people.

October 7, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  19. GAIL Centre,Al;

Somebody needs to question Obama, the media is not going to report anything negative, truth or lie. The media is disgusting they only tell you what they want you to know, to get Obama elected. MCcain has no choice, if any one knows the truth about Obama it would scare us to death. Obama and his radical views, plus a wife that is a loony tune, by the way where is Michelle. They are keeping her out of the public eye until the people have been scammed.

Obama the bridge to the unknown
    scarry isn't it

October 7, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  20. Janice

I am a Indepent who will vote for McCain/Pallin. The reason these 2 will get my vote is I know who John McCain is, his record is out there to see. The American people need to do some research on Obama theirself and make up their own mind. Obama has said that he might have to scale down some of his programs but has yet to name even 1 that he will give up in this time of crisis that we are all going through. I urge people to do their own looking into the candidates before going to the voting box!!

October 7, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  21. E C Bell

McCain and Obama are not running for dog catcher. They are running for President of the United States of America. The American people need to hear and learn about these two peoples past. How can we make a decision if we things are hidden and misrepresented?

May God Bless America

October 7, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  22. Maureen / Newman, California

First of all, I am glad that Obama does not see America the way that McCain and Palin see America. This is why I am voting for Obama. And this fear mongering is nothing new with the Grand Old Party. It worked for Bush, but too many people are angry now that he lied to America to justify the war. We are not safer because of the war. We are in debt and bin Laden is living outside of Iraq. While Obama talks about real solutions for real problems, McCain and the gun-toting Prom Queen say anything to change the subject, because they have no original ideas or plans to bring America back to the America we all love and most of the world admires. We can achieve this goal by electing Obama.

October 7, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  23. Willie

I hate saying this, but shame on McCain and Palin. U.S. have been killing terrorist for years now, and the Republican Party are very close to calling Obama a terrorist. There are crazy people in the U.S. You know where I'm taking this, they should be ORDERED by the President to STOP IT!

October 7, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  24. Dan Stewart

John McShame, a man who tossed his morals out of the window in order to gain personal power and glory. Its absolutely tragic to see this happen to a public figure who you once had some respect for. He has gone back on so many of his positions its hard to see him as anything other than a typical Republican politician. How he can claim to be a maverick when he has gone from opposing to pandering to the Evangelicals, voting against and then voting for Bush tax cuts, saying he will run a "clean" campaign and then launching these smears is beyond me. I think he sums it up the best when he said "We were elected to change Washington, and we let Washington change us". He had his chance and failed, now is the time for a true reformer to cleanup Washington and it is Barack Obama.

October 7, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  25. Maritza

Sounds like your desperate, be greatful this is still a free democracy where you can shoot off your misinformed extremist mouth off, the vile you spill on your post is the lowest of the lowest, Bringing up Obama's radical/ racist associates is legitimate and is what democracy is all about , the fact that it's all TRUE makes the liberals blood boil, hard to ignore where this man kicked off his political career in the living room of a blatent terrorist, anyone that votes for this man is blind and denies reality.

Maritza

October 7, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  26. Surafel Melaku

Why John McCain don't like black people?

A campaign stop at Panama City, FL on Friday, Tallahassee Democrat senior writer Stephen Price (the only black reporter at the camp. trail) was kicked out by security, even thought he told them who he is and show an identification card. Why John McCain hate black people? If he hate black people and don't show respect and treat them how they suppose too, how is he planning to lead the country. I mean, i work hard every day trying to improve my life, if my bank don't give me my money, if i lose my job, if i don't have health care, if i don't have money, what is the meaning of living or life by any means?! John please, tell me i rather be died than not having any thing or some powerful person talk what i have and work for these whole years. I'm sorry but you piss me of John you are the most racist ideologies person, discriminator wow! i don't know what to say any more i'm stun.

October 7, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  27. NC Women for Obama!

Instead of asking, "Who's Barack Obama?", we all should be asking, "Where did John McCain go?" and who is this angry and arrogant man in his place? Though I disagree with his beliefs and his policies, I've always thought Sen. McCain to be respectFUL and respectED, but.......no more! He stated publicly that he would run a "respectful" campaign - guess that's just one more campaign promise he can't keep.

And, BTW, Sarah Palin stated this week that she doesn't "have time" to speak correct, standard, and acceptable English. Well, guess what Silly Sarah, I don't "have time" to vote for you.

In addition, for the folks who are claiming racial prejudice in this election, which half of Obama do you find "offensive"? His mother was white and his father black - which half are you so 'against'?

October 7, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  28. Mary

I think the media should take on the shouts of terrorists and kill em heard coming out of the MaCain Palin campaign. I think this is a very serious thing and should not be overlooked. Is this the United States of America or some other country like Pakistan where it is OK to kill the opponent that you don't want to see elected?

October 7, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  29. Lori, Iowa

I am a "white female" and I am appalled at McCain's and Palin's behavior. Why are they not stopping this "mob mentality". They could very easily stop thier speeches and reprimand anyone who yells out to "kill him" or anything else that is totally out of control. Remember that Barack Obama did this reprimanding when someone in the crowd said something disrepectful of Hillary. Plus, this has not just effected Obama, the media (cameraman) is receiving derogatory and racial shots. Oh my goodness what is McCain and Palin doing? Have we gone back to the dark ages? I hope we do not end up with bloodshed because of this new campaign tactic.

October 7, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  30. Jes S.C.

For every two bloggers that support McCain, there are seven to eight that supports Obama. Now that being said some have drank the kool-aid and some have not. It amazes me how ignorant some think and say to please their outlook on other individuals. By all account the Obama bloggers have the edge, so will it be a landslide in Nov? Let's get out and vote and make it reality.

Well ,as for me I cast my absentee ballot last week and it was not for a pitbull or a pig with red lipstick nor senile old fart. Let all others do there part for change. Vote the issues not becasue the senile old fart looks like me.

October 7, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  31. Toni from PA

It is so sad when an election boils down to negativity and trash talking. McCain and Palin are scarred because they're losing in the polls. Don't they get it? People are scarred of our economy!!! Mr. McNasty needs to retire..as he's like a character in "Grumy Old Men" and Palin needs to tone down that annoying, screeching voice, go home and Governor her state as she's watching her neighbor, Alaska out her window. GROW UP PEOPLE..Our country is in trouble and we do not need the McCain tactics.

October 7, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  32. Rod

It appears that the definition of terroist has been re-defined. If you spread fear throughout the land and your Republican, it's OK? GOP stop spreading your manic fear. Distractions and fear hid your inability to lead this country for a time, but eventually the truth is exposed. Is the real face of the GOP fear. Where have all the wise men and women gone? Anyone that has been to Alaska knows there are vast areas of nothingness. The definition of the GOP VP candidate; vast areas of nothingness.

October 7, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  33. Flavia of San Mateo, CA

This is the first time I've gotten this involved in a political activity. First time I wore a button, put on a bumper sticker, donated money, and volunteered to help register voters.

Why? Because we need hope, we need help, we need our democracy back. We need to have a say in our destiny.

Too many people are suffering because everyone was only concerned with themselves and their personal wealth and they don't care what happens to anyone else as long as they get their new car and plasma TV.

It hurts to see this level of campaigning, when we should be coming together to deal with these terrible times. How many people will be loosing their jobs this week? How many next week? It's time to put humanity first.

Flavia Franco
    San Mateo, CA

October 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  34. Fay, CA

The McCain campaign wants to rehash Reverend Wright and characterize Obama as a "terrorist" and "dangerous", but they don't seem to have a problem with Palin stirring up the more racist and ignorant element amongst their supporters as was apparent at the rally in Clearwater–hypocritical AND genuinely dangerous and McCain and Palin should be roundly condemned for it.

October 7, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  35. Madeline

Ms. Huffington, I think you're missing the point. McCain is questioning whether or not we can trust Obama. This is a legitimate concern. Sure, Obama has made many promises. However, he has not done much to prove that he will keep these promises. While it might be unfair to judge him solely on his past relationships, I'm somewhat skeptical that Obama didn't know about Ayers' crimes and Rev. Wright's controversial statements. By the way, how do you feel about Obama's negative ads about McCain....I guess negative ads are acceptable as long as they're about McCain.

October 7, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  36. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Does anyone else find it peculiar that McCain had to put his campaign on hold to go to Washington about the economy but now that it is failing and falling, all he wants to talk about is scare tactics in Obama's camp being associated with a terrorist?
    Yeah right, Barrack Obama is planted in the U.S. to becme President and wants to bomb our own country. NOT!
    The amazing thing is that I know people who actually believe this!
    Ludicrous!

October 7, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  37. RL

Greetings,

I never thought I would see desperation in an election played out this way. Sen McCain and Gov Palin have no shame, (Win by any means necessary). What kind of bothers me is, There are many of my American brothers and sisters that actually are listening and believing this rhetoric. Please! My friends, this election is too important.
    Don't be hoodwinked by this kind of politics. Peace and Love

October 7, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  38. Cindy

Well it seems like McCain and Palin actually telling the truth on Obama's little lies and cover ups have gotten Arianna and the rest of the left wing nuts all in a tizzy! What's wrong...can't take the truth about your great ones relationships with radical nuts? The truth needs to come out. No one in the media has the guts to do it! The people need to see just exactly who Barrack Obama is. They need to bring on Rezko, ACORN and all of the others too. Obama is far from clean. He tries to hide this stuff...not because he wants to discuss issues, no, because he doesn't want anyone to know the real truth.

Cindy...Ga.

October 7, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  39. Not this Time

McCain and Palin should be charged with hate crimes for inciting fear and casting aspersions on Obama's good name and reputation. Which American who puts "country first" would call the next president a "terrorist" ? They make me sick and make no mistake, anyone who shows this behaviour will sell you down the river as well.

October 7, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  40. Sophie

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"

i.e. the real dangerous politicians are those that use fear mongering to control us like they did to vote for Bush and then for the war in Iraq and now maybe on this bailout, and now on Obama. Obama is a kid who grew up in Hawaii playing basketball and then work his butt off to get into Princeton and do so well there to get into Harvard Law school where he was seen as "safe" enough to be head of the Harvard Law Review a very prestigious position only given to the best of the best and the sanest of the sane and the brightest of the bright and the FAIREST of the FAIR... then he dedicated his money earning years to not making money from his "elite" degree but to helping poor folks in communities then he spent years in the senator and gained a great deal of respect from all his colleagues and the citizens he served there, and then he gave a talk last election DNC convention and showed he was a good man of good words and good deeds, and how the Republicans can rewrite all that history based on where he went to church and what charitable committee boards people served with him, or what profs taught in same school or lived in same neighborhood, sounds like a witch hunt to this American.

October 7, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  41. Jan Millsboro,DE

I am so sick of this election. I think they ought to change the rules....whoever wins the Presidency must have the loser as his/her Vice President. Maybe that would change the nastiness.

October 7, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  42. Amy / Minnesota

I realize it's hard for some to feel positive about things going on with the canidates. Especially when the one you're probably voting for are being so negative themselves. But please don't come down on CNN as being a bad guy or so you say Bias. They're doing their job putting the news out there just as well as other newscasters and i guess what is it they usually say...you made your mess, you clean it up.
    If John wants to clean up his act and start really fight for US maybe he'll stop going backwards. I'm a independant and haven't totally made up my mind. My husband has his i think, but i do have to admit when McCain talks i don't feel he's speaking about me.

October 7, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  43. Michael, Scottsdale

WOW! It only took Sarah one month to become one of the scum she is going to Washington to shake up! You go girl. You show America how a great smile, cute wink, and unsophisticated use of the language will beat truth, justice and the American way every single time. Thank you for confirming that pretty people can be just as ugly as every other political candidate!

October 7, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  44. Brenda Dennis

Anderson, I am sure this will not be read or published. This election has taken on a dangerous undertone by the McCain camp. Obama, being Afro-American and running for one of the highest offices in American, his life is in danger each day. Look back at the Kennedy's and Martin Luther King. There are people out here that when they hear McCain/Palin state Obama is a terriost and that your life will end if he is elected, take this serious and will kill thinking it is ok. I am an African American. I am very offended that McCain/Palin would incite this. People in their crowd yelling TERROIST and Kill. It's not funny and is very dangerous for Obama. This man has a wife and children. He is not encouraging chats of kill and terroist. The news should put a stop to this by mentioning that saying this could cost a man his life. I now would never vote for McCain/Palin, no do I respect what they are about. This is racist at its worst.

October 7, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  45. Ida

At least we know who McCain is. He is a double faced, crooked talker, war mongerer, kept man who has disdain for his fellow citizens.

October 7, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  46. Wyn in Alabama

I am personally offended by McCain and Palin actions. When you are desperate, you will try any dirty, low-down trick. I feel sorry for people who applaud them in their effort to sling mud in order to gain votes. Palin is playing the attack dog and McCain is following right behind her.
    She is dangerous and if by chance McCain wins, he better look out because she is not interested in being the vice president but president!

October 7, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  47. Barbara

Wha kept me awake last night was hearing shouts at both McCain and Palin rallies – someone shouted out "terrorist!" about Obama at McCain's prompt about his association with Ayres – and at Pailin's, did I acutally hear someone shout out "kill him!". Are these two now responsible for inciting violence by not stopping this mob attitude towards a US Senator, no matter how you feel about his candidacy???

October 7, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  48. Carmen

McCain and Palin are scarier than one hundred Bush/Cheney.

October 7, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  49. Ken

Ms. Huffington,
    I am voting for Senator McCain, not because I want to "live", but because I want to live in a free market society. I am voting for Senator McCain because I need a person with executive experience. I am voting for Senator McCain because I don't want a government that is forced to be a socialistic and over bearing subsidy organization. I am voting for Senator McCain because he values and respects life. It is not above his pay grade to say so. I am voting for Senator McCain, out of fear, but out of a desire for a successful and joyful future. The constitution, as it stands now, guarantees that as a pursuit. If I want a socialistic and marxist style government, I would go to Europe or Russia.

October 7, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  50. Paula from Ga

Obama uses People to suit his needs. The church ran it course, it was time to drop his long time Preacher. Then he decided was best to drop his Church or Did he. I think the Chicago Black community is pulling a scam, we will get him his Brass and Gold Ring and Crown. Then we will be in, for the Biggest Payout from him winning. From their Pullpit to yours.

October 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm |