October 2nd, 2008

Bill Schneider on the V.P. Debate

Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

10:36p ET: Palin's primary strength is her outside of Washington status. She doesn't act like an insider, she doesn't talk like an insider, and a lot of voters may respond to that.

10:24p ET:
Palin's answers do not lack confidence, they lack coherence.

10:20p ET:
Reform, corruption, maverick…these are words that Palin often uses, but she needs to define them.

10:16p ET:
Palin say's she'll be a maverick, but she doesn't talk about how her administration would be different from McCain. She isn't drawing any kind of distinction.

10:14p ET: Biden's in an awkward position…Biden voted for the use of force in Iraq, Obama came out against it from the beginning.

It's a problem that he shares with Hillary Clinton.

Read more of Bill Schneider's notes

1. GRACIE PARKS

I don't know where to begin. Biden could have said more if he wasn't warned to tiptoe because she was a female. If women want to
    be in this situation, they should be treated equally without being insulting. Well, i guess that settles that!

Did anyone get that she called Senator O'Biden after she said Obama?

Leave the baby at home. He should have not been in public with all the "unknowns" out there. I wouldn't expose mine at every event.

I cannot imagine anyone is falling for McCain/Pain.

I was disappointed in the "best news team" on your program telling it like it is with Palin. They were being kind.

Thanks for letting us get our feelings on your page.

October 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  2. Curt

Was I the only one offended by the "East Coast" politician remark?
    I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST, as do a hefty number of American citizens and if she chooses to govern ALL of the United States and not just Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Mississippi, Texas, and Alaska then I suggest she cut the snarky East Coast remarks.

Hey, Sarah, ever been to New England? Ever been to New Jersey? Does she realize that the swing states of North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, and New Hampshire are located on the EAST COAST?

Biden clearly was the winner and the only one on the stage who didn't look or sound like an infomercial for "mavericks" who aren't really mavericks.....Who have no distinction from W....So how are they mavericks? No thanks.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  3. Alumbra

VERA

She even mispronounced words just as Bush (”nuculer”)!

THATS ENOUGH TO BURN HER AT THE STAKE!! In the great states of SC and NC I doubt you will find a single person that will pronounce every word correctly. (and that counts for a lotta votes) What do you know about nuclear fission? Where did you get your degree in that field? Bush had to ask for the increase in production from other countries since your heartthrob is voting to stop drilling.

October 3, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  4. John T.

Sarah Palin didn't answer the questions. Might as well have been a stump speech. You could almost swap any answer she gave with any question asked and you'd be none the wiser on her position. Biden actually answered the questions and looked more vice presidential.

McCain killed his campaign by pandering to voters and picking her. His decision was rushed like a few other decisions he made last week and that is no way to make decisions on how run a country.

I imagined a future where Sarah Palin was giving a press conference at the White House lawn about the situation in the Middle East and of course, she gave the same answers she gave tonight and it was just a little terrifying.

October 3, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  5. Dave Benthin

I could definitely see a polished old car salemanship in Joe Biden tonight. His answers were pretty typical as to what was predicted the way he would need to answer. He is an old established professional politician who knows the answers that people want to hear. It too bad so many citizens can't see through the smoke screen.

In Oregon the economy was fairly good until the democrats took over the senate couple + years back. It is not the president that runs the country, but the congress.

Let scrutinize Biden, Obama evenly right along with McCain and Palin. What I am looking for not professional politicing, but a person of integrity, servitude demeanor and a fear of the living God. Not some watered down religious bigot or atheist.

The analyst team have so many liberals on it. Our founding fathers, let alone most grandparents would roll in there grave to see such a promiscious mindset. We can scoff and thumb our nose up at God now, but do not be deceived, surely, we all will be acoountable for our actions, words, and support of that which does not bring glory to God.

Thank you for your time.

October 3, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  6. zee

As an independent I waited to hear the debate tonight. Sara you did not connect with me. I want a leader not a soccer mom. Stop saying phrases like “joe six pack, daw right--whatever. Sara Palin did not answer any questions. Period. She just talked about energy but not alternative energy. Instead of answering the question she was keep going back to her comfort subject. Why she was winking? What the hell was that about? Is she going to convince foreign leaders with winking? I am going with the guy who has degree from Harvard.

October 3, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  7. charles

Palin is not prepared to do anything. She is a diaster waiting for somewhere to happen,.

October 3, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  8. Vera

Butch H.

"but it is ok to tell OPEC to increase their production in those countries with the poorest record of clean drilling"
    This is exactly what Bush and his crew were doing - ask OPEC to increase their production of oil. If you think Macain will do differently with all his advisers who worked for Bush administration, you are dreaming...

October 2, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  9. sue

It was not really a "debate" since they had few rebuttals. Palin did a good job of reciting what she had memorized but failed to defend McCain from the criticisms raised by Biden.

Some of your analysits keep saying Palin represents the average American and not your typical politician. Come on, there are many people who can connect with the average American like Palin, but the Vice President of the United States needs a lot more than just being a mom and living an average American life.

October 2, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  10. Phil, Indianapolis.

As an independent voter, I believe Biden did much better job in this debate than Palin. More impotantly, Biden convinced me of who is more qualified to the VP office. The Republican ticket has not gave the direct solutions of the current and potential future crisis other than name callings and labelings. Be honest, I really don't know and care of who is a maverick.

Unless Mc Cain can provide real solutions, I'm leaning to vote for the Obama/Biden ticket.

October 2, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  11. Alumbra

One is like talking to my next door neighbor, the other is the loan officer at my local bank. Obama states that every American should have health insurance, send the kids to college and own the American dream. The American dream we just tried by letting every American get a loan to buy that dream.See what position that put us in? McCain wants to control the middle east and you can tell from thousands of years that "that ain't gonna happen". The last administration has dealt with something no other has, and that is an attack against us on our land. We struck back, now take action to remove ourselves from a foreign land. Let American stand on her own and that means desperate measures to eliminate the need for foreign dependency. It may cost more to invest in technology now but over the long haul it's worth it. Palin has the track record to continue with creating our own domestic energy.

October 2, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  12. Kendall

Sarah Palin did better than I expected, but she remains unqualified for the job. As a mother of four who also worked outside the home until just 18 months ago, it is 100% clear to me that she is not representative of middle-class working Moms. In addition, I think her informal speaking style is fake and unprofessional. I kept thinking Andy Griffith was going to show up. Love her or hate her, at least Hillary Clinton came across as educated and made professional women proud. I have been an Obama supporter since the beginning, this certainly doesn't change anything for me.

October 2, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  13. Butch H.

Biden and Obama seem to have to resort to outright lies of the facts to try and convince people that they are the good guys. If you look at Obama's voting history, you can see that he consistently votes exactly how Pelosi and Harry Reid tell him to vote. He has only rarely accomplished anything with a bipartisan effort. If we think that partisanship will ever be put aside and the business of this country put out front, it doesn't stand a chance when you have two of the most liberal, most partisan party members like Obama and Biden. The extreme leftist views of Obama are nothing but absolute Socialism. The democrats tout all this clean and green energy proposals, but yet are so hipocritical. They don't want us to drill in the US where we have the best technology and cleanest drilling processes in the world, but it is ok to tell OPEC to increase their production in those countries with the poorest record of clean drilling.

October 2, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  14. Diane

I am 59 year old female in Texas. I believe Sarah Palan did not debate tonight but delivered her rehearsed speech. She only answer her questions and stated what she was prepared to say. My opinion of her has not changed at all. She might refer to herself as an average Joe six pack, but that is not what we need to lead our country out of the disaster it is in now. I am also a very average mom, but I don't want an average person dealing with the current situation. Second the female gender should never be brought up in the election, when she decided to become the VP nominee on the Republican ticket she is on the same level as the other candidates and should not be handled differently because she is a woman.

October 2, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  15. Pat Valind

Joe Biden is hands down winner, landed credible and effective one-two counterpunches on Sarah, one after the other.
    Joe summed up the debate results early by raising his arms up directly in front of Palin and saying, "This is the definitive Bridge-To-Nowhere"
    John McCann, I like and respect you, but picking Sarah Palin was
    not the right thing to do.

October 2, 2008 at 11:33 pm |