October 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paul from Iowa

And Washington wonders why mainstreet doesn't trust them. You would think if the country is in such economic trouble the Senate could come together and pass a clean bill without all of the pork.
    Any earmark is just ridiculous. If we are to believe this is a serious issue then pass a serious bill. Otherwise, don't expect the taxpayers to foot wallstreet's screw-ups. Take care of the mortgage problem and leave the rest alone. Deal with the pork another time.

October 1, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Sort of a theme tonight and throughout the campaign Biden's and Palins offenses ransom each other, repub and dems in congress the same thing

Cracked me up asking Anderson what's been happening lately, Erica

Good night everyone!

October 1, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Jen

Audrey, you aren't running for a top office. Palin is, and even purely part of being familiar with Republican party policy she should be able to name some cases Republicans as a group disagree with.

October 1, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  4. lisa tx

If Palin has her way we will have back alley abortions again . My grandmother died from a illegal abortion.Is this what we want again.

October 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Graham

Why hasn't anyone commented that Sarah Palin's problem in interviews is simple–she cannot think on her feet. She's fine when reading from a prepared speech or when she has notes but just doesn't think fast. Not very good for a Vice President. Could get into lots of trouble.

October 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. David Gergen

Hello everyone - a breakthrough tonight in Washington with the Senate voting overwhelmingly for this rescue package. Like you, I hate the whole idea of it but I am also persuaded that it is castor oil we have to take in order to head off a far worse illness.

What worries me is that the overall economy is heading down so fast. Did you see those auto sale numbers today? Huge drops. That spells more job losses. We'll get a better picture of just how serious the job loss problem is with this Friday's announcement on unemployment - the last report before the elections.

In the meantime, I just want to repeat something I had a chance to say on the show tonight: the rejection by the House this past Monday of the rescue package has meant another big blow to federal finances - the sweeteners that were added to get Senate passage tonight have added a whopping $105 billion to next year's budget. That is an extra debt that just digs the hole deeper for all of us. We have a lot of work ahead of us.

October 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Wednesday evening..The Shot? Brings new meaning to the tall and small of life.. Night all.

October 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Kathy

Bay Bucchanan, SERIOUSLY???? how can u defend palin's non response to Couric's question aired tonight. If Biden or Obama had answered w/ such a vague response you'd be all over them.

October 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Michael

When the bailout says for Banks and some "foreign" banks, which foreign banks will get taxpayers bailout too? Should one penny be given to any foreign banks?

October 1, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  10. bill

why does biden have to take it easy she wants to enter the arena treat her as one of the guys

October 1, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  11. lee

I also caught Palin referring to herself as a Federalist when opining that abortion should be up to the state. Later Paul Bergala, if I heard right, said she understood Federalism. I disagree, I think she gaffed again (and so did he). Right?

October 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Jolene

The moderator of the debate tomorrow night should back down. That would be the right thing to do. Why add more controversy to the debate?

October 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Sherri - Port Townsend, WA

Palin was a journalism major and an anchor for a news station, Contrary to what Bay thinks there is ZERO excuses for her abysmal interviews and rambling questions.

She KNOWS how the media works- and for that reason she can't blame "gotcha media" she of all people should have known what to expect- period.

October 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Alicia

We were all told when we were younder to THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK...maybe no one told that to Sarah.

October 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  15. ed

piont of fact; any way you look at it, spin it, question it, i would rather have a vp learning on the job then a president learning on the job. get off the experiece issue it goes nowhere, dem for mccain.

October 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Sharon

Paul, I like that comeback about the your book on McCain, good for you. Hard hitting.

October 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  17. EJ (USA)

Nice point on writing a book about McCain, Paul Begala! You got that in just under the wire! Very good.

October 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Melinda

It is just scary to me that Palin does not know more than one of the main rulings of the Supreme Court over the years. She chose to take on this responsibility. Now it's time to step up and take the heat. Being a bully only works in highschool...

October 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  19. paula

sarah palin couldnt think about a supreme court case she didnt agree with? what about exxon vs baker....good grief, exxon got their damage payment reduced 2 months ago, it affected her own state adversely and she couldnt think of it. PEOPLE we r in trouble.....paula in idaho

October 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  20. mike - moreland, ga

so, let me see if i understand this. palin thinks that when the supreme court issues judgements she disagrees with, they are issues "better left to the states". maybe she really just means they are better left to any court whatsoever that agrees with her.

October 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Katt in Citrus County, FL

Whenever she doesn't know the answer, Palin turns into a "cutie-pie." It's so sexist, I can hardly stand watching her.

October 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Julia Warren

Faye, stop making excuses for Palin. Face it she gave a lousy answer!!

October 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Marian

Not all women in this country are impressed with Palin and as far as being herself – what she is portraying is probably what she is actually all about. That what is so scary.

October 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Hank from Georgia

I'm sorry, but humor and personal stories do not win debates. Knowledge of the topics do.

Not Palin's strong suit. She dances around topics, especially she when she doesn't know a decent answer.

October 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. june

OMG- This woman is scary...she can't even address a Supreme Court ruling! This is the person who could be President! NO THANKS!

October 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Greg Reizian

In lieu of offering heart felt apologies for their pathetic level of service to the people of this country, after this evenings vote, key senators lined up to take their turn praising each other for such a great job done. I felt like barfing and grew more fearful of learning the details of the deal they had struck.

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Gary

When did any reporter ask Obama "which Supreme Court decisions do you not agree with" or "please name one regulation that Sen. so and so implemented? It is ridiculous to say that Obama has had to prove he is "presidential". No one asked him these questions.

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Greg- Northern Cal

Pain can't answer a simple question!

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Susan in Orlando

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. I was completely stunned and disgusted by the self-serving comments of the Senators following the vote. It sounded like they had just won an Academy Award as they congratulated themselves. It's their job! And no one is acknowledging that they have failed us completely and should all be fired.

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. doug - Ohio

Palin Can't Answer a simple question about her opinion on major judgments.

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. bob

I think we should demand a full audit of the federal reserve before we cough up another dime. Thomas Jefferson warned us against putting our money in the hands of a private bank.

October 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its easy to take down Sarah Palin, and make women happy about it. In order for her to change certain supreme court rulings, she has to know what they are first!

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Donna

This is totally wrong! What our government is now telling us is steal from the people and you get rewarded.

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. don dignan

Good day Anderson

Sitting here in the great white north wondering what is going on in your country. No more earmarks, pork barrelling and they add $150 Billion to the relief plan. Why not add another $150 billion and wipe out a third of the Canadian National Debit and we will ship a little more oil your way. I wonder just how much change people believe either leader is going to bring to government. You could give $10,000.00 to a lot of homeowners to put on their home loans for $850 Billion dollars. 8.5. million homes, money back into the banking system. give them 10 years to pay it back.

Good luck with the mess and your leaders.

Don

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Michelle Smith

Palin is grossly unprepared. Our DC "advocates" have all drunk the Kool Aid sold on Wall St. It's time for another "Boston Tea Party". Americans must rise up and ensure voices are heard!

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Karen Joy

Sarah Palin may be a seasoned debater but I still see nothing of substance to her. She supposedly appeals to "Joe six-pack" . She doesn't appeal to me as a middle class American. Joe Biden seems real even though he makes mistakes. She is out of her league unless you need to have a moose dressed.

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I could have coached Palin better than they did!

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Audrey C.

Honestly, how many people can name a Supreme Court decision that they disagree with.....on the spot? Quick....everyone go on google. I'm a law school grad and I'm ashamed to say I had to think for a few minutes. Was Biden asked this question?

October 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I am looking forward to the VP debate. I wish them both well.

October 1, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Shiela

Why not tell the American people exactly what is in the bill? Sounds like a whole bunch of pork with some pretty red lipstick to me.

October 1, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Brian

Of course Bill Clinton says it is good because he is in the mess like everyone that wants to get this over as quick as possible. The more anyone pushes to get this passed as fast as possible is in up to their necks in the crap.

October 1, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. sylvia, chicago

what a shame for a woman to say that its the states or any other government bodies right to decide for a woman what she can and can not do with her body; I love kids, probably would never consider an abortion but I strongly oppose anyone dictating or limiting my rights as a human being...my body, my choice

October 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  43. doug - Ohio

Row V Wade is a non issue, it will not change no matter who is the next president.

Vote not on; pro life or pro choice, vote for the issues that the next president will actually have to deal with and not this political football.

October 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Jacqui Chan

so according to Sara Palin if my uncle raped me I would have to travel in my traumatized state to an unfamiliar state with a strange doctor to have an abortion

October 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Greg- Northern Cal

Joe's answer on Rov V Wade I thought more thoughtful.

October 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Quincy

Is it a double standard that Obama has had to prove that he is "presidential" while Palin doesn't have to prove that she is "vice-presidential"?

October 1, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  47. paul from wisconsin

As hard as it is to do people, it,s time to take a chance,let go and trust our leaders in Wash.

October 1, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Claudia , Watsonville CA

When did my body become a property of the state? Last time I checked I owned myself. Sarah Palin is truly one of the scariest women out there! I'm afraid for my uterus!!!

October 1, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Jen

I can't believe Palin couldn't name one Supreme Court case other than Roe v. Wade. I'm a Canadian and not in politics, still I could name other US Supreme Court cases. There are ones were such crucial turning points in American history and the rights of American citizens. What about cases like Brown v. The Board of Education? How could a responsible, competent American leader NOT know that case? Do the Republicans really think America can afford to have someone plain ignorant in a VP slot at a time like this?

October 1, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Connie

What is wrong with Washington. We should have never gotten into this MESS. The middle class has been walked on since President Bush was elected. President Clinton was the best one to help working people. Why would I vote for experience. I think John McCain's experience and all the others got us into this mess. Doesn't anyone care about being honest. I am voting for Barack Obama.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |