October 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Donata, Amarillo, TX

How can Palin be a Gov. and clearly not be interested in governmental issues? Tomorrow may give us more fodder than we can handle.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Dianne

Part of the problem is that the 'bad' mortgages were 'bundled' and sold to foreign investors. The U.S. could no longer get buyers for their Treasury Bills & Bonds, therefore no money for credit or deficit spending by government.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I hope you are going to discuss the controversy over Gwen Eifel moderating the VP debate since she has written a favorable, some say, adoring book about Obama. She should recuse herself from this debate.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Hank from Georgia

I keep hearing people say Biden would be better served not coming off as a bully.

Why is that? Because she's a woman? She's inexperienced and he SHOULD show it in all it's inadequacy.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Rich Perkins

Sarah Palin prepping? This will make no difference. She will be asked a question at the debate that she has not been prepped for and her answer will be similiar to the Couric interview. She was asked simply: What magazines or newspapers do you read to keep up with the issues around the country? She could not answer that either. I guess she needed to be prepped for that question also. This is precisely why the media and we the public are sick of her antics, that was a simple personal question and she could not answer it seemingly because she was told not to have any opinion of her own. Perhaps Katie should write down her questions and give Palin five minutes to think and respond, she may be able at that point to think of an answer that is coherent to most americans.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Autumn

I am having a hard time balancing this whole argument for or against the bailout. We can blame the ones that took on mortgages that they couldn't pay, but what if some of them were able to pay until their recent lay-off due to their company's inability to receive loans from the bank, which is the reason for the cry for this bailout? Also, if the government buys the bad loan, did they place something in the bill to help these homeowners with the adjusted mortgage loan find a way to have a fixed loan so that they can pay and stay in their homes in which case the government is helping main street? I am not sure how I feel about the bailout, but from what I hear this is a problem that hasn't come up before, I find it funny that the Senates and the Representatives had any one experience to help advise them on this crisis/issue. I am still trying to educate myself on all this stuff before I say yes or no.

October 1, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Rachel

I am so sick of this government! Will we ever have the right people in Washington wanting to do the right thing for the American people??

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

That is so interesting new poll for Obama is leading than McCain.

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

Felicia (Georgia) I think you have a good point.

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Gina - Missouri

I can't believe Sarah Palin again can't answer a simple question, this one about which supreme court rulings she did not like.

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Jolene

Are we actually going to hear something positive about Sarah Palin tonight? Is she really a good debater? I suppose we won't really know until tomorrow night.

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Jana, Indiana

I thought the same thing that all the politicians were patting themselves on the backs. Makes me sick

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Kerry Foster

Anderson you are so right. this buch of self serving senators make me sick. I so hope this bill falls in the house and Americans wake up and throw the whole bunch out on their pork barreled filled fannies.
    this election is supposed to be about change and only with a congress full of fresh faces will there be any chance that this country can ever expect to flourish again. Politicians all make me want to puke!

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Peter Cohen

Looks like the Senate put lipstick on pig this time.

Instead of passing the Bailout with only the hard choices we are all going to have to digest for the next decade or more, they had to pork it up to buy votes. That is the root cause of our current national deficit. At a time when fiscal responsibility is the battle cry they have failed the test once again. It translates to need vs want. The harangue us as taxpayers about living beyond our means and slap us with their irresponsible habits in their rush to be seen as saviors!

Pete at the Jersey Shore

October 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. patricia - oklahoma

I hope the house has enough sense to reject the bailout. My arteries are hardening reading all the pork.

October 1, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Rich

Don't let Barny Frank off the hook he is responsibles for much of this economic mess we are in. He needs to be investigated.

October 1, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Emma, Atl

Exactly how many times has Palin been interviewed by Katie Couric? It seems like you guys have covered it every single night. Is she being interviewed on a daily basis?

October 1, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Patty

At least Palin and the late night comedians have provided us some comic relief these last weeks....

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Rob in Floida

Nothing like funding Wall Streets mistakes, throwing good money after bad. This isn't the fix, but what do I know.

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Mike Baker

Very proud of our Senate, the leaders put aside their differences and politics. Then there is Barney Frank, what an embarrassment. He just can't accept any responsibility, you tried Anderson to press him. He became rude. He needs to go. he just can't stop blaming everyone else. Anyone could do better for the citizens of his district....

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Martie

Thus far, there is no consensus that any of this will work – and that's really scary. Raising FDIC limits may be helpful in preventing immediate runs on banks, but it's not going to matter if the value of the dollar is obliterated if these stabilization efforts fail.

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. dave

I don't want to give you a big head Anderson, but you are dead on tonight!! It sickened me to watch Harry Reid almost get emotional praising Chris Dodd. Maybe if he would have listened to the reform cries back in 2004& 05 for reforms for fannie and freddie, we possible may not be talking about a bailout, today. Do these politician really think we are that stupid!! Enough pats on the back, Senator Reid!!

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Christian

what will happen when people can't pay their credit cards anymore and those "no money down, no interest till 2009" bills come in ? why wasn't there any capping on predatory credit card rates ? maybe because they all receive money from the credit card companies ...?

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  24. kevin

In tomorrow's debate why does Biden need to treat Palin so carefully? She's a big girl, and this is so huge that it should be beyond that kind of thing. And isn't this supposed to be a somewhat post-feminist world anyway? Gains have been made, and do women want special treatment these days?

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Mary in Tampa

Erica, I know there are so many questions about whether this will work or not, but the sense that we don't have time sounds false to me. We have already let this go for years and years. Isn't it better to stop the leak instead of keep replacing the water?
    How about not putting good money after bad?

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Jenna Morgenthaler

Many people and economists believe the bail out is a poor way to solve the economic crisis, but i don't see them on your show. I know that fear attracts viewers, but it seems that the media is pushing the fear and not the facts.

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Tom Downey

The Senate bill aded 100 Billion to the cost to the tax payer, but nothing to make tax payers, there is nothing to strenghten the US or put the american workers back to work.

October 1, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Greg

The ballout is something that needs to be done yet, people like me are going to paying for it. Why didn't we know years ago that this was something could happen? What is this going to cost me?

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Joanne Ridley-Pacicca

Mr. Cooper, how does this bailout benefit our 401K and other investment instruments that are not direct investment in banks? Our financial managers use their "genius" to formulate huge conglomerates under investment choices. Will those financial backers of Goldman Sachs and other "favored" banks be held responsible in the rear view mirror of this disaster?

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Susan

Please do a program on "Keeping them Honest" and explain the "pork" that is getting attached to this bill. The lobbyist and special interest groups are celebrating tonight. I cannot believe this actually can be held up as a success for any candidate. Surely, the American voter is not that stupid.

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Katie Mendetta

When the vote was finished and the "main characters" Senator Dodd and such were thanking this person and that person I felt like I was watching the emmys! Hello....get a grip on yourselves. You self serving politicians are so vain.

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why didn't they give that extra $150 billion dollars to the American people who are losing their homes instead of throwing it away on pork?

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  33. lisa tx

This election was complicated enough without throwing a bailout into the middle of it.

October 1, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

Anderson, I agree with you on the finger pointing. If a politician admitted that he was wrong then that would mean that all politicians have to admit that they are wrong and that is just bad for their egos

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  35. tony arterburn little rock arkansas

Anderson, here in arkansas i thought wall street fell long ago i worked from sunup to sundown and so does my wife and we barely make it from check to check. i dont know what needs to be done, but i wish we could enjoy life instead of just living life.

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Eugene

The Senate bill passed tonight is a bailout of Wall Street and not Main Street. As usual, a 700B bill is now 810B. The US can afford this. The is only the beginning and who knows what the final cost may be.

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Chuck

Clinton praising Biden...... NOT Obama?

Great speech Joe.

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's a shame when our country is in a mess, that politicians are hunting for cover. They really think they are the center of the universe.

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Jean - Dallas

Saw the Bill Clinton speech today and my first thought was ...........Bubba is back in a big way and in his element!!

Florida was the right place for the Obama campaign to ask him to go.

He hit it out of the park today talking about Obama........I take back all the negative comments I made about him in the past.

October 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  40. Hank from Georgia

WOW, AC!!! Your completely right! De Jevu!

They were patting each other on the back(your exact words during Katrina) and nothing has been done!!!

How would it look if someone stopped in the middle of a race and started celebrating?

October 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Jennifer

How can the Senate vote on the bailout bill before the House approves it?

October 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Richard, NY

we tax payers should receive a $1000 stimulus check every 6 months after this bill.

October 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Kenya

Wow... and one who gets a bonus or incentive pay even after not having met their targets will actually have to pay it back! So how long it will it be before it's proven to be a wrongful pay out???

October 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Chanel

Good point Anderson! Was it really wise for them all to be publicly patting themselves on the back while the majority of Americans are still against this bill?

October 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  45. dorothy

Anderson – I'm with you – they all stood there and padded themselves on the back! Where were they when all of this was happening?

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Martha

Did I hear Rep. Frank correctly??? Did he say he passed a bill in 2007 that would oversee Freddie and Fannie??? If that is the case, can anyone tell us why then did they have to be taken over by the government?

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Russ

Clinton's support of Obama today tended to help me make up my mind who to vote for. I, like many, respect the way Clinton ran the country and are hoping some of his ideas will rub off onto Obama.

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Dan from Andover, Minnesota

After the government bails out the banking industry, how are they going to bail out the housing market and auto industry?

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Debbie, Bronx

Hello ac .....i do not agreed on this bailout...... wallstreet should be able to this bailout by themself. ..... how the hell they get into this. what happen if this happen again.... another bail out.......no way. sorry

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I am disgusted with republicans and democrats! They all make me sick at this point!

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |