October 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I don't think I can't pay for this, can't afford bailout...... that is so scary for me....

October 1, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse NY

We should view the bailout as basically comfort food for Wall Street. It will make them feel good for awhile, but in the end solve nothing. Hopefully some of the more responsible members of Congress will work behind the scenes to creat a real fix.

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Mark, Norfolk Va

Erica or Anderson...In your opinion and also from what you have seen tonight, what do you see as the opinion of Americans? Do you see more against than for this bill, or the opposite?

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Mary B

This will be an unpopular position, however, I think "we the people" need to take responsibility for our part in this mess. The general public's greed of wanting more than our parents had and imediate gratification is partialy responsible for this mess. If you think the real estate debt has caused a crisis just wait till the credit card debt chickens come home to roost.

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Right now, it is an uphill battle for John McCain, but there are a lot of twists and turns in this election as David Gergen says, good panel disussion overall support can move back and forth rapidly at this point. Good point by Gloria Borger too about McCain stressing bipartisanship and attacking Obama in the same speech. The election and the rescue bailout are all tangled up

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. James, Montgomery, AL

The sweeteners are provided for by the framers of the constitution, many of whom were heroic, but also understood human shortcomings, and how to make something happen instead of nothing. The credit markets are seizing up. It would be particularly untimely for the legislative process to do the same.

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy October.
    I'm glad for the Senate's approval of the bailout. The crisis on Wall Street seems a reflection of the economic instability of the country overall–not separated from it.

October 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Bill Thissen

Where are the many top economists who are against this plan?
    Why aren't you interviewing them?

October 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. jayson

Anderson I love your coverage of the bailout! Maybe everyone in america should go to their banking institution and withdrawl every penny they have in their account and go back to the days when america slept with their money!! Never mind, I almost forgot, our politicians are taking care of that for us!!!

October 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Jefferson

The amount they are paid by us the people that vote for them is nothing compared to what they can sell it for.....

October 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. paul from wisconsin

Look, I'm scared like everyone else out there. But the one guy I really trust said it's time to show support for rescue, Bill Clinton! So I,m ready, let's go!

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. CAROLYN JONES

gloria sen mc cain is unstable, and if he or the media uses rev wright, he will be shown as miss conginality. and we maen miss.

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Michaelorange

With the the John King's map changing every week its makes this election confusing.America make up your mind.We shouldn't be moved by what we see but make the right choice from the issues the candidates have.Being moved by the prospects of the future and not the fear of the unknown.

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Sylvanus Bent

Sarah Palin just doesn't know anything of substance. In responding to Katie about abortion rights, I thought she said - "I'm a Federalist" - she believes the issue should be left up to the states.
    ---
    But a Federalist is one who believes in a strong Federal Government – the opposite of leaving it up to the states. She needs to stop pretending to be educated - stick to words of less than 7 letters – and use the phrase "I don't know" a lot more.

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. sylvia, chicago

looks to me like the republican machine is getting desperate...serioulsy...give us, the voters, more credit and don't insult our intelligence...we can see through all of the negative attacks and see them for what they are...a poor attempt to deflect our attention from the real issues

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. steven powell

Maybe I am wrong but seems like to me if the government gave 700 billion back to the taxpayers it would allow some people to pay off their mortgages and stimulate the economy

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  17. toby m, montana

The bailout is not necessary. It seems that this is an advertisement for credit. From my understanding if the same policies are in place, this bail out is not going to accomplish anything. The hole, and I mean hole issue is bad loans. When I want a loan they look at a debt to income ration and if I am not mistaken debt is not to exceed 40% of income. But, now days it is over 60% so how are people going to save.. Any comment.

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Steve in NC

Can CNN do a serious investigation as to ALL the players, both Republican and Democrat who let this problem happen. Cut through all the crap and bring to light all those who betrayed the peoples trust.

October 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Patricia

What happened to Palin's handlers? Why has Couric had repeated attempts to embarass her? Are they asleep at the wheel?

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Gary - Kent

Dave Robert is the man. I agree with you 110%....let's vote all of them out!

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Kelly

This is absolutely sickening that provisions have to be added to "sweeten" the deal so this important bill will pass, making it $110 billion more expensive. For crying out loud- craft a bill that we can all agree on. This is seriously crazy!!! I agree...don't these Senators know how much scrutiny this bill is under? Very good point, Jason. Sickening.

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Amanda, Pittsburgh PA

This whole bailout...is exactly that a bailout and not a rescue! it's nothing more than other display of complete incompetency of this administration and our government. My husband and I both have full time jobs, own a house, 2 cars, some bills and have recently had to decide which bills not to pay in order to buy food or gas for the car. Nothing has made me more frustrated with the government than the fact that I actually work for my money, went to college, did my year of service and I'm not getting bailed out!!!! Nothing like rewarding the bad kids...yet again!!!!! i'm tired of bailing out the fat ceo's that do absolutely nothing in return!

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Edward Fleming

This bill does nothing for the common man, If it passes why would banks loosen guidelines to lend more money and take the same chances of losing more?

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  24. jessie from Ontario

Well the vote is over & the American taxpayer already in debt up the whazzoo can now add 700 billion $ plus you gotta throw in an extra 150 billion $ to sweeten the pot. Your great-great-great Grandchildren will remember you fondly.

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

This will be a huge mess for the next President whomever he is!

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  26. ericacnn

so mang ifs, so little time...and that applies on a number of levels tonight

October 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Hank from Georgia

The difference in Palin's debate performance running for governor and her attempt to become vp is simple. Knowledge and time to acquire that knowledge.

She was prepared for her governor's debate. Had time to prep and the amount of material was minuscule compared to what she has to digest now.

And the Couric Day Massacre has painted her as over handled and under experienced.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Harry in Fort Worth

Erica,

What was the change in the Senate bill related to AMT?

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Julia Warren

If McCain goes negative and uses Rev. Wright he better be prepared for a MAJOR backlash because of Palin's pastor and his pastor, if he has one.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  30. David

The rescue package needs to be passed. The "sweetners" on the other hand.....not so sure. But I'm glad the Senate acted the way it did and I can only hope that the House will pass the bill.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

It's amazing to see how much the American economy affects the economies of other nations. For instance, I've seen some AP reports about a major lender on the brink of bankruptcy in the Netherlands was bought by the gov't, and the Japanese economy was also affected.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Gary - Kent

AC.....good observation on the "it's not my fault" mentality of our "leaders". What would be refreshing is to see a politician...someone who is supposed to "represent me" actually act in such a way that DOES represent me.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Ed

If they free up credit markets, won't they start making bad loans all over again???

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Gary

Craig: Thank you...I have been trying to say the same thing here.

October 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Mark, Norfolk Va

Karen,

We are not a Democracy. We are Representative democracy...in other words, the members of Congress are elected to represent the wishes of their constituents. And they didn't. The large majority of Americans are against this bill.
    These bums voted for their re-election coffers, because Wall Street is who gives them very large sums of money for their allegiance. And today, Allegiance is what they got.

October 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Mike - Martinton, IL

I cannot beleive we are sticking the taxpayers and our children with a $700B debt. This is a free market society...companies thrive, whle others crash. Those that know how to run their buisness thrive while those who don't fail...why should it be any different on Wall Street. Why isn't the governemnt concerned with bailing out the little guy when his/her buisness goes under. I do understand the implications of this...but God forbid we let the government control this!!

October 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Dominick

Lets hear from the no votes.

October 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Anderson,
    I agree with you, no one made a mistakes at all. I am forgiving all senators and congress.

October 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Chico Seymour Hoffman

I really made me angry watching the senators parade to the microphone congratulating and patting each other on the back for merely doing their job.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Mike, NC

Hey Anderson,
    love the show, LOVE YOU TOO!
    As a U.S. citizen and a college student, where do we go from here? I mean, our economy is in a lose lose situation and for the first time in my life, I am a little nervous for our nation's future.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  41. mike - moreland, ga

all this talk about credit drying up and interest rates rising is silly. it's like listening to a drug addict who needs a fix. the first time i got a mortgage for a house 18 years ago the rate was like 9 point something percent, and that seemed low at the time. i wonder how many billions people would want the government to pay out if the average mortgage rate was above 9 percent now?

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Chuck

Funny, Obama gains points on economic diaster that liberal programs caused.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Felicia, Chicago, IL

The bill hits the House on Friday, so I'm telling my Congressmen if they vote yes on this thing, they can kiss their job goodbye, because they have just lost my vote.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Lane

Many Senators in close races voted no..house members all are up for re-election...vote will be close.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Manuel

As a democrat I will never vote for dem again if this bill passes with the new pork added to sweeten the deal for the repubs.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why cant the rest of America vote on this bailout? We are voting for our next leader, so why cant we vote for where our money is going?

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Edward Fleming

Don't pass it won't rates sink so those of us will get even better then the great rates on mortgages we have now.

October 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Kenny, Atlanta,GA.

I will not forget our lawmakers are deaf election day and urge everyone to remember our leaders failed us again. All people should vote against the incumbents so they will hear and realize the American people do have a voice. As far as i'm concerned the lawmakers in Washington today will be unemployed January. Let's see how many citizens have the backbone to vote them out of office.

October 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Acola J in Georgia

This is ridiculous. I would have rather paid each taxpayer another stimulous package o $100,000 than to bail out Billion dollar companies. My children's children will be paying for this mess. I will vote against any congressmen who voted in favor of this bill.

October 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Vicki Braun

Actually, the only "sweetener" was the FDIC increase. The other tax provisions had already passed the House and was only awaiting Senate action to become law

October 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm |