October 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Anna, minneapolis MN

$150 billion dollar add-on.....seriously?? Isn't 700B enough? I've never been more frustrated and disappointed with the government. What a joke.

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  2. jon in minneapolis

i can't believe we are letting this happen. there should be no bailout! now it's worse with the "add-on's'. the middle class is screwed for generations to come.

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Christian

i would love to know how voted for or against having the super-rich pay for some of the bail-out. i 'll send the ones who voted for that measure a check next time the are up for re-election and support the opponents of those who voted against that amendment. the fact alone that we are now talking about super-rich and super-poor, not just poor, is outrageous.

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Maureen

We haven't heard much from President Bush about where he plays a part in this whole mess-where is Cheney these days? I am discouraged by their lack of ability to take part of the blame for this craziness on Wall Street. Where has our administration been for the past eight years with regards to the American public and thier needs-Iraq took priority over main street Americans

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Connie Snyder

I want to know exactly and in great detail what "sweeteners" were added to the bill to get House Republicans to vote for the BAILOUT BILL (I refuse to use the new euphemism) and who proposed and supported them. I believe that the truth as to who is voting for the middle class and the general economic good and who's putting "Rich Guys First" lies in these additions. Please highlight it in your broadcasts so even the dullest voter understands this bill.

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Toni - Phoenix, AZ

It is ANOTHER interview with Katie – someone needs to stop her...

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Kelly

I just watched you interview Barney Frank... he put regulations in place when Democrats took control of the house (so he said) so what went wrong????

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Joe in New York

Another blow to the American people. As if $700 Billion wasn't enough, our intellectual geniuses in the Senate, who believe that they are doing the right thing, and believe they know better than 300 million Americans, have just given us a bill of $850 Billion dollars that we will be paying for the next 10 generations. Incredible! Get ready folks, this mild recession is going to turn into American bankruptcy!!! What's that over the shore? Is that China? Looks like they are going to want their money back...

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Marty

We do need action regardinf this crisis, yet isnt further analysis in order. It appers this legislation is cruising thru the drive thru and being super-sized. Whats next? Ginnie Mae?

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Toby - Virginia

I understand the importance of credit markets in not only providing to consumers but allowing companies with loans. When banks are afraid to loan to anyone the entire enconomy is in trouble. However I only hope at this point that this bailout will not be abused. Obama is showing better leadership on this bailout than McCain.

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  11. James, Montgomery, AL

Hi Erica, what tax breaks were extended?

October 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Margaret Wilson

There are many who saw the greed starting and were careful. I gave up on buying an inflated house price and a mortage offer with a high monthly payment. I decided to rent until it all came crashing down. Here it is. Oooh boy now I have to help pay for a wallstreet bailout?! 😦

13. jason

A lot of what I'm reading on this blog is "I DON'T UNDERSTAND". It's the presidents job to make us understand why this "bailout" was so vital. Ladies and gentlemen this was vital for the middle class future of our families. We need to get educated on this "bailout". This is more important for the middle class then fo the fat cats.

14. Kim

Unbelievable...they should all be recalled in their respective states/districts! Pork on top of this issue?! Their arrogance is unbelievable! Why don't we try addressing this issue from the main street up instead of from wall street down? Yep, let's save the companies and their greedy managers and do nothing for those who were taken advantage of during this historical financial fraud!

15. Dave in CT

We seem to be between a rock and a hard place. If we do nothing and more banks continue to fail, our economy will become ruined. If this "rescue plan" passes, more debt could be passed onto future generations. If this plan passes and fails....what then? My god, what has Bush done to this country?

16. Jonathan

This bill was bad enough before, now they have added even more spending? This country is owned by the filthy rich and their lobbyists. For the first time in my life I am ashamed to be an American.

17. Norm Church

I would like to see a summary of specific differences of items contained in the 2nd proposal of “bailout” features from those in original bill.

18. david

Well after today I saw on CNN Business that AT&T cant get a short term borrowing and the effects are coming if the U S House of Representatives dont pass this bill. The part of the bill is clean that ACORN is not part of the package and keep it that way.

19. Salima Portland OR

I have one question, in all this bailout talk where has anyone of these politicians talk about giving the ordinary citizens a break too.

20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

McCain made a mistake. He should have backed the Republican version of this bil. If he had he would have been looking good today.

21. Tameka Vaught

Hey everyone, I think the bailout was needed and had to be completed, failure to stop the freeze on the credit markets can lead to devastation to the main stream economy, which I am apart of and so are the rest of us.

Thanks Anderson, love the show.

22. Louise

Erica, are we going to stop talking about the politics of this bill and start hearing about the content anytime soon?

23. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Jason, I agree with you. Im in the same boat with a full time job and worried about how this is going to help us college students

24. Cindy

Unfortunately this mess on Wall Street is a lose-lose situation for all of us taxpayers. We pay with the retirement accounts falling or we pay with the bailout, which in my opinion is just letting the Wall Street Guru's get away with murder so to speak. My husband and I at the age of 45 and 47 respectively will have to work the rst of our lives while the gurus on Wall Street continue to make money. Amazingly enough if you look at it, when the dow dropped on Monday, it didn't happen until after the gurus realized that they may actually have to work like the middle class person to make things right.

25. Nick

I am disgusted with the United States Senate. I cannot believe this bailout bill has passed. Taxpayers should not be responsible for private business failures. Everyone I have talked with feels the same way. I hope the house denies the bill. The markets will still survive......

26. Susan

Thank you Anderson for attempting to pen down Mr. Frank on his involvement in this fiscal disaster. Unfortunately, he was able to use his professional double talk to shirt the responsibility. This whole mess needs your professional search as the journalist we saw during Katrina. The Congress men and women that benefited from the below the margin financial dealings need to be exposed. Thank you.

27. Jeremy in West Virginia

I cannot believe the Senate just added $150 Billion onto this $700 Billion dollar JOKE! $850 Billion! All on a 50/50 gamble.

Every poll and everyone I’ve spoken with have said this is a disaster. No one wants this bill passed yet our Wonderful Senators think the “unwashed, uneducated, and confused” constituents aren’t thinking straight and they decide to vote how they feel.

BOO!!!! I’m voting Sen. Rockefeller out this fall.

Yeah it’s that important.

October 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Bradley S (Knoxville, TN)

Why in the heck do we need this bail out or rescue plan? Please explain more than it hurts the credit industry?

29. Wesley

It is amazing to me that there aren't any major, reputed economists amidst the center of this debate.

The first person I would trust with repairing my car is a mechanic, not a race car driver.

The first person I would trust with repairing my economy is an economist, not an ex CEO, or a day trader.

30. jayson

I am sorry! Since when were politicians experts on investments, the market and whether or not this bailout will sink or swim. The only investment infor politicians kow are what the "insiders" tell them when they make their millions! Too bad us mainstream americans are going to be the ones who take the hit on this. Not to mention out kids and grandkids.

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

Does this rescue passed by the senate, if passed by the house as well taken together with the mortgage relief bill ( the assist for homeowners in danger of having their mortgage foreclosed on, that established the hope now fund right?) provide enough bottom-up and top down relief for homeowners, banks, wall street mainstreet the entire economy?

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Andy

Appreciate your view tonight Anderson, sounds like your listening to the main street..hope you continue looking and asking the real questions.
    Thanks again

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Mark

Barney Frank was one of the culprits that got us into this mess in the first place. The American public has no confidence in the leadership of this country due to the fact that they have mis-managed this country for decades. Politicians are now trying to make up for their past mistakes. Period.

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Bill

Too many unanswered questions. If it's that bad give the power to the FDIC with the full faith and credit of the treasury.

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Holly

I am trying to email my representative to vote NO on the bailout plan and can't even send them an email!

I am sickened by the fact that pork barrel items have been added to the bill and our Senators voted yes. Their actions are certainly not in the best interest of mainstreet. What is so very frustrating is I think mainstreet is helpless to impact their decisons.

My family and my children will be stuck with this bill for years to come.

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Brian

Anderson,

Thanks for asking Barney Frank about his role and if he felt any responsibility in the whole Fanny, Freddy mess. Of course he blamed only the Republicans and has no remorse for his role in the mess.

October 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  37. catherine

We will now reap the whirlwind

38. Aaron Lesher

Regarding Barney Frank's response to roadblocking reform to Fanny/Freddy... "He Doth Protest Too Much". He was all over the place. I could smell the fear. He doesn't sound very credible.

39. Steve in NC

Just saw Barney Frank deny any responsibility on this issue when he and many Democrats said there is was no problem at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Instead of admitting, all he did was point fingers. We know BOTH sides screwed this up. All the do is point at each other, even when caught on tape. Disgraceful.

40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Emma, It just goes to show you how easily votes can be bought and sold in Congress.

October 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

I hope they will pass bailout or not pass bailout.

42. Toni - Phoenix, AZ

Joann – the committee passed it – the house trashed it. We could use a few more like Barney Frank

43. Patty

Home Owners can be helped by a bill that includes a moritorium on
    their morgage rates, allowing them to stay put and not be forclosed on.

44. Madeline

Wow, the Palin/Couric interview again?!? This is the fifth night. How about some airtime for Biden?

45. Louise

Hi, Erica.

46. JImmy in California

It looks to me like while Democrats control Congress, they want as close to an equal "Yea" vote among their members so that in the event of this "Rescue" failing then Congress Democrats can claim that an equal number of Republicans voted for the "Rescue" too. As dangerous as this problem has the potential of being, they are still playing politics.

47. mike - moreland, ga

It's hilarious how the republicans want to blame democrats for everything. They don't seem to understand that they had responsibility to do the right thing all those years they had power, they thought they just had power.

48. John, Georgia

This turkey was going to cost 700 billiion and the solution is to add 110 billion to the bill! Have they no shame?

49. Louise

If the sweeteners are along the bridge to nowhere lines, it's disgraceful.

I am appalled by the number of politicians who put politics ahead of the country at a time like this.

Throw those bums out.

50. Julia Warren

Looks to me that this bill just made the rich richer and the rest of us praying that we keep our jobs and can feed our family.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |