October 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/01/08

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials.  LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t?  Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

hi, bloggers

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Jason

People, let's not act surprised, this bill is nothing but a continuation of the corrupt spending and funding that goes on day after day in D.C.. Just because the national and global audience is watching this issue doesn't make the decisionmakers actions, behind closed doors, any different.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Matthew Caravella

The US Government has lost touch with the American people, they no longer represent us which is there duty. We must take the power back. I dont know anyone who wanted this bill to pass. Who are the Senators listening too?

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Hank from Georgia

Interesting, although not uncommon, that none of the major figures involved with take on any blame.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Ronnie

I want to know what are the FBI doing with there investigations on all those banks they went into... and where will this lead anderson??? Jail time???

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Carolyn Johnson Mesa Az

How dare these Senators get on TV and take turns praising each other. I heard some say there sould not be finger pointing. I have news for them everyone I know or just hear talking about it in stores want heads to roll over this. There better be a special investigator that can move quickly to name names, votes, and collaborations that put us in this position and we will take out our own vengence on them and the ones that did not stop them. Please let them know when they show their faces on TV that they all make us sick..I beg everyone to please get very educated on this before you make your vote.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  7. jack

Nice work getting Barney Frank to answer to his recent record.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Alex C. Balla

The extras added in the Senate were for Tax-Cuts and Credits; some of the tax breaks are for those taxed under the Alternative Minimum Tax, others for those people who pay sales taxes. The Tax breaks are for those people who guy energy efficient items such as solar panels. there are also provisions for allows Mental Health to be just as equal with terms to deductions as that of physical ailments.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Patrick, Because they don't work on "Wall Street."

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. billy truck

Nice to hear anderson acknowledge that people who took on mortgages that they can't pay are partially responsible for the current financial situation versus everyone else who points finger at the big wall street monster.

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Marguerite

What is in this bill for oversight, regulation and subsequent discipline and disciplinary actions for the perpetrators of this mess?

October 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

I'm a college student really into politics, but I'm a little confused over what I should feel about this "Bail out"/"Investment" ?

I believe that business failure is one of the potential consequences of the free market system, but I understand that a lot of the economists are saying that this "bail out" will do more for Main Street than Wall Street.

Should I be for or against the bail out?

October 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Greg

Barney Frank in waist deep in this and he knows it

October 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gee Barney doesn't sound too certain about the House vote. Could it be because they are up for re-election this year?

October 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Jeff-->(D) Illinois

I am appalled at all of our Senators. Today is a sad day for all Americans.

I would recommend all register voters to boycott this election.

McCain more of the same.
    Obama more of the same drama.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Kathy, Chicago

Do the people who were not smart enough to live within their means have to pay anything back? Are we expected to just bail them out.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

I still dont know what to think of this bill. I see the good but I see the bad

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  18. doug - Ohio

No, Bailout

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

This bill is going down.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Louise

Irene, exactly how should they help home owners? People say this all the time but I've yet to see anyway that would manifest.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Marian

The House had better vote for this bill or they will be blamed if the credit market freezes to a screeching halt which will affect every American, not just wall street. It seems as though many of our citizenry cannot understand this.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Emma, Atl

I don't understand how including "sweeteners" could persuade certain members of Congress to change their minds when their constituents still oppose the bailout.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Barney Franks "Facts" seem very unclear to me.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Nicholas Chilton, Buffalo NY

Would someone please tell me what is going to happen to the value of the dollar once if this bailout goes through?? Nobody seems to talk about this and I feel it may hurt a lot more than passing the bill.

October 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Margaret Wilson

I think the average American taxpayer was totally overlooked. All these corporation CEO's make bonuses through neglecting the lower employees. They don't want to pay you but bare minimum and refuse to offer and pay for medical insurance and retirement plans are left at risk if the company fails.Yet the CEO's are taken care of in every way shape and form. There needs to be a board of directors out there who can do right with distributing the wealth throughout the company the govern.

October 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

LorieAnn in CA,
    Good point...... I agree with you, but I don't understand either too.

October 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Brian Amos

I have a feeling that anyone who balks at 800 billion thinking this is too much should realize it may in fact cost over a trillion or more. The market lost over a trillion in less than a day then bounced back, but not completely. It's like someone selling you something and not telling you the real cost cause they want to get you prepared for the shock. Lets see how bad this realy gets.

October 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Jo Ann

Anderson, I was hoping you were going to ask Barney about his friends on the banking committee who voted against this bill. If he can't convince members of his own committee to vote in favor of it how can he hope the Republicans will "come around?"

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse NY

Barney Frank was instrumental in the 90's in getting Clinton to put pressure on banks to make 'politically correct' loans to minoroties. These loans were not financially correct and have helped cause thiis problem. ACORN was in the middle of it, and Obama supported ACORN.

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Irene - Florida

We the people are saying no, find a better way then making us the taxpayers pay for this. If we have to bail anyone out at least help homeowners that have seen the value of their homes almost drop to half of what we paid. Who is going to bail us out?

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Louise

Lorie Anne, that worries me too. What extra did they tack on? And why?

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Patty

Congress is ignoring its Constituents. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Write the better, more thoughtful bill that includes provisions for main street - how about the accountability?????

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Gregg - Florida

Good Evening Anderson, Erica, all the bloggers, /phew!! anyone feeling at ease now? passed the senate vote, now its up to the House Of Rep, /fingers crossed...........

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Alex C. Balla

I feel that adding this extras in the Senate INCREASES the long term costs and makes the risks even higher. The cost at over $825 billion is a lot of money of the table that 30 or 40 years from now when I retire I don't want to still be paying interest and principal on as a taxpayer.

October 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. James, Montgomery, AL

I get the impression that we the people annoy Rep. Barney Frank.

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Marty

I know we want to blame the government for this whole thing, or some want to blame wall street, but maybe an issue to discuss is how we, as a society, have a constant need for instant gratification. We can't blame everyone else without looking at ourselves as well. Even "main street", as we have become known, is partially to blame. It is a much bigger problem than just economics.

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Jason - Orlando, Fla.

Sounds like we're becoming more "European" in regard to socialism.

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Tom

I don't understand why the extras would be added to this bill when the senate knows the bill would be scrutinized by the media?

Couldn't they find a better bill to slip these extra's into?

Any ideas?

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Julia Warren

Hi Everyone, this bill bothers me a lot. Where is the US infrastructure in this bill. I haven't heard anything about job creation..

October 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I just can't understand why the bill had to be sweetened over and over.

October 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Louise

It had to be done. I just wish they'd talk about the substance of it rather than the politics.

October 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. patrick

So how come the $150 billion dollar add-on to this “bail out” doesn’t include some provision or relief to unfortunate families in this country who were sold a bill of goods in the form of irresponsibly structured mortgages from companies who were filled with greed? What if we took a small percentage of this bloated gift to those irresponsible, publicly traded companies and instead helped to restructure those loans and give these families a second chance. How much would it take?

October 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Good point!!! EJ!!! Right on!!! I agree with you.

October 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Steve in PA

Congratulations, America, 298 million people just bailed out 2 million others incapable of living sensibly. Don't forget to be afraid when you go to be tonight, and go out and buy something tomorrow! Oh and don't forget to take advantage of the tax break they just passed on manufacturing wooden arrows with a special laminate. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt – I'd like you to meet CONSUME.

October 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Quincy

Why does this bailout bill have PORK!!!! Is this true. Anderson, can you discuss this please and give us "just the facts"

October 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, and best bloggers!!!!
    Wow!!!! Senators said we already passed the bill bailout and will give to congress....

October 1, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. EJ (USA)

I don't get it! How is adding on these extras going to get the House to vote for it? Why would the House be more likely to vote for it if their constituents are saying 'no' louder and louder?

October 1, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Its going to be another busy night I see

October 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. JImmy in California

Good evening Anderson, Erica and all bloggers. A lot going on tonight with the Senate vote.

October 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Alex C. Balla

I am a student in college, the actions of our Congressmen & Congresswomen are a travesty; our Senators made a decision to gamble the future of my generation and possibly the children of my generation at the benefit of businesses who made bad decisions. Its possible to see the taxpayers make money, but also its possible for the taxpayers to lose their money and we shouldn’t play that game. Wall St. did it and they failed, why should we as the American people now shoulder that risk?

October 1, 2008 at 10:00 pm |