October 1st, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Clues

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

It’s amazing how people seem to find the money to feed their addictions, even in the worst financial times. But even addiction isn’t recession-proof. Yes, I know it may not be an official recession, but for many Americans it definitely feels that way. And when the casinos quiet down, it’s hard not to notice.

Connecticut’s Foxwoods Casino is cutting 700 jobs and in case there was any doubt, the casino says the economy is to blame.

The trickle-down could be vast. In addition to the hundreds of families affected by the layoffs, think of all the local businesses who will feel the pinch. The hairdressers whose clients will have to stretch their regular visits out a bit farther, the grocery stores, the daycares…all will feel these 700 job cuts. Keep in mind, these cuts come on top of those announced last week at the neighboring Mohegan Sun Casino.

__________

I love Craigslist. When I lived in San Francisco in the late 90’s, this was the place to get everything – an apartment, a car, a job even a date. A job as a decoy in a bank heist, though? Who knew that, too, could be had on the site?

The alleged robber recruited his apparently unassuming decoys with promises of $28.50 an hour, but when the dozen or so men dressed exactly like him showed up at the Bank of America in Monroe, Wash. Tuesday, there was no boss there to tell them what to do. It seems he’d split, on his way to the Skyhomish River and an inner tube getaway. You can’t make this up.

__________

A year after Steve Fossett’s plane disappeared over the Sierra Nevada, hikers in California found a sweatshirt, money and a pilot’s license with the adventurer’s name. The license did not have a picture.

Filed under: Erica's News Note
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    Well, between the meltdown deal and the one armed bandits (Slot Machines) I guess it proves we Americans are not hitting any jackpots. Take Care

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

October 1, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  2. earlyn pirtheesingh

Dear Erica,

Does everyone who is supporting this bail out know that the same people they are bailing out are the same banks who have foreclosed on their homes. How ironic is this? NOT FUNNY I am sure if they look at this one aspect of this it will be a resounding NO FIND ANOTHER WAY. When they wanted help they could not get it yet they now have to help the same people who put them there. SHAME ON THOSE THAT ARE STANDING THERE FEEDING US THIS NONSENSE. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EDUCATE THE PUBLIC ON AT LEAST THIS ONE IMPORTANT FACT THAT MY FELLOW TAX PAYERS ARE NOT AWARE OF!!!! I am forever grateful to yourself and Anderson Cooper because from day one I could tell YOU ARE TRUSTWORTHY, CARING AND I DO BELIEVE YOU WHEN YOU GIVE INFORMATION because I know it is checked out first.
    Thanks on behalf of those of us who are uneducated as to what the money is really for. GOD BLESS YOU!!!

October 1, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  3. Lauren

I wonder if Fossett experienced major engine failure, and possibly tossed the items off his plane becasue he knew he was going down, and feared they'd never find any clues if his IDs were ruined in the wreck? Sounds like he'll be found soon. At least he died doing what he loved, with his boots still on, so to speak. What an inspiration to us all, to live our lives to the fullest!!

October 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  4. Tammy, Berwick, LA

How many people like the elderly and disabled living on pensions were blowing money away each week at these casinos? No offense to those who lost jobs, but maybe those who couldn't afford it in the first place will at least try to better use their money now. They might be able to afford that hairdresser or extra meal out or new clothes that the casinos were sucking dry. For every bad, there is a good that comes out of it. These people not being taken advantage of anymore is one of them.

And is Fossett dead? Or did he just fake it? Or it is something else? Sounds like a mystery worthy of Dame Agatha to me.

October 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Hellooo Erica!!!
    I once visit Casino in Las Vegas, I don't play at all. Yes, that is very danger addicted gamble. Of course, that is so risk to blame Connecticut’s Foxwoods Casino is already cutting 700 people to lose their job due economy ...... that is not good news for people to cut or layoff people.... I did check craiglist to find apartment or job.... I don't like craiglist.... it is very scary to see craiglist..... I found out that on website CNN it says hikers found many items belong to Steve Fossett... my thought will be found him or not....
    P.S. Welcome back Erica! missed you....

October 1, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

Blues Clues?

October 1, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  7. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, glad to hear from you. We missed you!

The Craigslist story…what can I say…only in Washington state…fellow Washingtonians, that’s a tongue-in-cheek comment, don’t be offended…I live there.

I was wondering about Steve Fossett…whatever happened to him. He died doing what he loved to do. I’ll always admire him for that. If those belongings truly were his, even if they don’t find the body, I hope this gives some closure to the family.

Take care,
    Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

October 1, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  8. Carlos

Erica, I hate to tell you this, but you sound as bad as Governor Palin. You have no idea what you are talking about, please stop trying to scare the American people. By saying that we don't get it, when more than 50% of the people are saying you don't get it! Please stop insulting the American people, you sound dumb.

October 1, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  9. Alexander

Glad to see you're back, Erica.: ) I find that story regarding the robbery to be quite interesting. Hmm, will be interesting to see if anything further develops relating to the story. Hope your evening is going well, and, again, glad you're back at work.: )

October 1, 2008 at 6:49 pm |