September 29th, 2008

O.J. Trial: Secret recordings

Paul Vercammen
CNN Senior Producer

Jurors in the O.J. Simpson armed robbery trial strained Monday morning to hear the secret recording made by alleged gunman Michael McClinton.

Simpson defense attorney Gabe Grasso replayed the tape in cross examination and questioned the reliability of a transcript of the recording.

One of the most disputed interpretations of the recording, did Simpson say "you didn't pull your piece (gun) in the hall?"

McClinton hid the tape recorder and tried to capture Simpson talking at a restaurant after the sting at the Palace Station Hotel.

The tension between Grasso and McClinton was palpable in the courtroom with hard stares from the witness who opened the morning testimony with a strident "let's go."

The key prosecution witness is one of four former co-defendants in the case to make a plea deal that could result in little or no prison time.

McClinton testified he had his handgun out the "whole time" during the mission to recover Simpson's sports memorabilia.

Defense lawyers argue McClinton made the recording to try to sell it to the tabloids.

During one part of the painstaking cross examination and replaying of the recording, it looked like Simpson dozed off.

1. Joan Kamen

I have watched the trial and believe the trial was a waste of
    taxpayer money. McClinton has an agenda. He is a smart man
    who had a permit to carry a fire arm and certainly knew better than
    to draw the weapon unless he intended to use it , he also gave a
    weapon to Alexander who did not have a permit. I don t believe
    that Simpson asked him to draw the weapon.

September 30, 2008 at 7:08 am |
  2. Tina

It is O.J.'s personal stuff at issue. Pics of his Mother, his kids, his family, etc. Pics of him with dignitaries, autographed TO HIM, not v.v. He wanted HIS STUFF back. The Goldman's don't have rights to the personal items, just the memorabilia items that can make them some money. And what purpose does that have anyway? They come across also as just being Gold(man)diggers, no less than the memorablia scumbags. I realize they lost a child, and that is incredibly sad and tragic. Grudges and revenge are not beneficial to anyone, however.

I am not saying OJ was innocent in the past. But that trial is over! Over! The courts have spoken.

But I think he IS innocent of these charges in trying to get his personal items back from his home and his Mothers storage. Stolen goods, go for it!

I am not in the courtroom, nor was I in previous trial. Just my opinion from what I read and what I see on TV. Give him his s**t (as quoted in many court documents) back. Let him go. This is a bogus case!

As for the other scumbags in the case who made plea deals so they can hope to go free, get probation, well, their trials should be broadcast also, so we can decide. Let us see those trials on TruTV (Court TV) and Live CNN feeds!

September 30, 2008 at 12:26 am |
  3. gloria

I cannot believe some of you people. It doesn't matter if he was set up or not. If I told you you could get some money by holding a gun at a store and you went along with it....should you be set free????? Of course not, go to the police and file a complaint. He couldn't do that because he paid bills with that stuff . If he filed a complaint it would prove he had it and it belonged to the Goldmans, not him anymore. The man is a scumbag. I hope he get 5 life sentences.

September 29, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Tina

This trial has nothing to do with the 12 yr old murder case. Totally separate, and you should evaluate as such.

Also, this is not the "O.J. Simpson Trial", it is the "Stewart and Simpson Trial". They are being tried together. It is not all about O.J.

I've watched it all and Riccio is a scum, he should be in jail. O.J. rightfully wanted to retrieve his property. I have never been a victim of crime, or stolen property, but I would be really ticked off and would want it back.

Not sure about the gun issue.....but O.J. was not carrying a gun, nor was Stewart.

Slap their hands (O.J. and Stewart), give O.J. his stuff back, and get over it!!!! This is rediculous!!

P.S. Never buy memorablia! It's a scam game. Won't make you rich, just the scum who peddle it!

September 29, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  5. carolyn maclennan

I strong believe OJ was guilty of the murdersof nichole and Ron but the one that should be behind bars is Tom Riccio in thos case.. He is the one that set this whole thing up. He wanted to get back at Beardsley and used OJ to do it. Isn't it obviuos. I believe most of the other characters were set as well. Except the guy that was on the stand today. I believe he heard of the plan and took it upon himself to bring the guns. The last prosecution witness was a joke. His testimony did not match up with others..

September 29, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  6. dee

What part of this don't you all understand. By law, You can not obtain any items from someone by force. Wheather OJ knew of guns or not, he was a participant....period. Even if these items were his(???) one still cannot retrieve them by force. That's plain and simple ...robbery.
    He should have gone though the legal system like anybody else would have to get the items returned to him. So now he's trying to use the system for his egotisical self. Grant all the players are thugs hanging on to OJ's tail for profit. If you lay with dogs, you'll get up with fleas. They all deserve to do time for this crime...and it was a crime!

September 29, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  7. Kathy

None of you get it, they had guns with them, they stole things that did not belong to them and even if he was set up, he did not have to have those guys bring guns with them. OJ killed his Nicole and Ron on my birthday in 1994, I watched that trial from the start to the end everyday and there is no way anyone will make me believe that HE IS NOT GUILTY OF THE MURDERS, The guy should be in San Quentin on death row in my book and I am glad that finally the Goldmens are finally going to get some of his belongings that he was suppose to turn over and did not. OJ has always felt he was above the law and still does, so I am glad that the DA took this case on so he can spend the rest of his life in prison where he belongs.

September 29, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  8. Tracy GA

ANOTHER WITCH HUNT THATS ALL IT IS. the stuff is his! If it were mine I'd be trying to get it back too for my children.

September 29, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  9. tony in Hannibal mo

Who is going to be the first to make a movie deal or book deal. If OJ goes to jail when he gets out he will make a movie deal unless the others do it first ,or they all have a deal then split the money. This may be another way for OJ to try get back on top by getting out of this then he will have people wanting to do a movie or write the book and tell the truth,like he did in his wifes murder.

September 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  10. Mike in NYC

Sheri wrote:

"OJ, would of never been there is that one blonde guy..."

What does his hair color have to do with it? Oh, right, I get it - the evil white man strikes again.

OJ owes his wealth to whites paying to see him run real fast.

September 29, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  11. anthony johnson

w hy are las vegas waseing tex payer money 4 this trial lets fight rell crime are help schools and the poor what you thak AG360.

September 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  12. Kelly

I just wish that the truth would come out, especially regarding his ex wife and friend's murders. There are so many other things in the world that we are facing right now, the war in Iraq, the U.S. financial crisis, the presidential elections, gas wars, and a myriad of other problems that are a bit more pressing than whether some little boy stole another little boys toys. Come on folks, this is really getting ridiculous, either jail the man, or leave it alone.

September 29, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  13. Susan

There is no doubt in my mind that OJ should be sitting in prison right now for the murders of his wife and Ron, but the prosecution and police department messed that up bad. Now you have all these people trying to make money off his name. It is obvious this was a set up. It is really sad that our justice system is trying to put OJ away because they screwed up years ago and they are letting the other guys who all have records and were holding the guns walk free.

September 29, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  14. dw

Just another example of our judicial system doing what it does best... wasting the taxpayers money on lost causes. He's nothing but a greedy thug shining in the spotlight...again! Put him away!

If we didn't waste so much $$, we wouldn't need a $700B bailout.

September 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  15. Earl

Another waste of taxpayer's money.

September 29, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  16. Sheri

If this was any other person then OJ this would be never gotten this far. I have to ask if the co-defendents always walk around with tape recorders.

This was ONE BIG MESS, and the guy who set this up to make money off of it, do not recall his name should be in jail .

Everyone of these co-defendents are in this for money, of some kind.

Leave OJ alone and let the man live his life. It is SO OVIOUS this was a SET-UP from the start one guy made 250,000.00, and what now others walking around with tape recorders as well, I believe if the first OJ trial was not a farce, he would be in prision already, but that is whaty it is.

OJ, would of never been there is that one blonde guy did not start this ball rolling, and now he is 250,000 dollars richer for his scam.

September 29, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  17. Buck

FREE O.J!!!!!!!!!! Leave this man alone.

September 29, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  18. paul

have fun in prison,dude.you should have been there a long time ago.

September 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm |