September 23rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/23/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Wondering why some comments are posted while others aren’t? Here’s a post that may help: LINK TO COMMENTS POST

We’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Drew, Pleasant Hill, CA

Maybe these executives need to read Ethical Ambition by Derrick Bell. I'd like to see CNN have him on the show and talk about his views about the Wall Street crisis

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar (Shoreline, Wa)

Thanks Anderson!!!!!! you have good point!!! keep going now......

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  3. toby knapp in dc

How can you say Palin is ready for prime time when they won't let her take any heat? This makes as much sense as this road to nowhere in Alaska she built...

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Jacqui Chan

true, hate to admit it but perhaps this is a double standard would a man running for VP be able to avoid the press ?'s for so long

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Tiffany in Denver

I cannot believe that the press has no access to Palin.
    There is little more than a month left...why is the press not pressing her for an interview????

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Maureen Startin, MACS, CZMT Certified

Anderson & Erica,

This has become such a joke! It would seem that Sarah Palin is nothing more than a "campaign strategy" as Karl Rove stated and window dressing to boot!

If she can't stand the heat (of facing reporters; or the McCain campaign is afraid of what she might say) then she needs to get out of the kitchen. At the current rate and stature of her "presumed" position, she's an embarrassment to women across America!

To be used in such a way is anything but feminist! Or, my preference, egalitarian!

Cheers!

September 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Raleigh, NC

This is all truly bizarre. Wall Street is on the brink of collapse, a 700 billion hail mary is being thrown, a VP nominee from nowhere emerges but isn't allowed to answer questions, candidates are ad-sparring over pigs and lipstick, for the first time in my life I was unable to find gas, and when I did find gas three days later it was nearly $5/gallon.

If Anderson were to report the sky is purple, I'm not sure I'd be all that surprised at this point.

September 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  8. EJ (USA)

Great questions on Palin avoiding the media, Anderson.

September 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Biagio

maybe many people have not realized that the issue of the bail out is not whether or not to have it, but rather HOW...
    The US economy is considerably undermined thanks to a war waged on borrowed money, tax breaks to the rich, and companies adding to their wealth, while average Americans (80%) struggle!

September 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Allan Mitchell

OK so the market is in trouble, I understand that much. What I don't understand is where has all the money gone? Is it truly in the hands of the oil producing countries or maybe in the countries that are used for outsourcing or China? Is it ever going to come back? I'm lost....

September 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Mike

Why not spend the $700 Billion on creating new jobs in new energy? This would fix the problem of people not being able to pay their mortgages! It would also fix the economy, and stop the greatest transfer of wealth out of the country!!!

September 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Max, Dallas, TX

No!! The public of rational thinkers care if the media is shut out! You guys are our filter- get this information to us, please!

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  13. Jacqui Chan

WOW – that is really cool- that the press insisted no footage without an interview – Way to not-enable her Good job!

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Gregory Doty

Dear Anderson,

This economic mess is the price we pay for letting the Republicans dictate policy. The heart of the Republican party has been stolen by corporations and greed. There is no way the people of America should bail out these thieves.

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

Poised and capable? Nope. The Republicans come across as embarrassed by her. As though they were counting on her saying things she shouldn't say. Bad move.

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Tom P.

I think Anderson and the AC360 Team should be in charge of the 700 Billion.....At least they ask the tough questions....and use common sense.

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Rodney

Greetings. I think that if Wall Street can be bailed out for their greed why can't we get the breaks that the hard-working american needs to be able to stay afloat. If this Bail-out goes through the value of the already declining dollar won't have a penny to stand on and the cost of basic needs will be out of reach. Will the government then come to our rescue? I doubt it !!!

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Michelle, Indiana

How much money does the government have invested with these investment banks for pension plans for the congress and executive branch?

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Rey Melendi

Regarding the BAIL OUT;

Why stop at limiting COE golden parachute pay outs, why not require these firms that are bailed out to pay the Goverment on future profits or dividens. Just a thought considering the basic fact the the goverment is becomeing an investor or partner in there assets.

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  20. sylvia, chicago

bravo to all of the news organizations; thank you for not letting McCain use you as tool

September 23, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

How quickly were the other bailouts this year worked out?

11, 500 dollars spread over how much time or how many years? One year? That's a lot to hit tax payers with.

David Gergen's right about jobs at the grassroots, that will help generate income.

Candy Crowley's got a good point about the political morass, but if congress can work out a good careful bailout that could help

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Janet (Chappaqua)

Anderson, what ever happened to freedom of the press? The manipulation of the media by the Mc Cain campaign, and the outright filtering of information that the American people are entitled to, is blatantly unconstitutional. How dare they.

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I'm sorry, but seeing Sarah Palin talking to these world leaders is even more embarassing than seeing George Bush talk to world leaders. We just look lilke amateurs...

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Patrick Esters

Hey,

In fact, 700 million new millionares would really stimulate this sluggish ol' economy!

Patrick, Iowa

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Joyce in Ky.

Thank You, Anderson, for bringing David Gergen into the conversation tonight. As I have said before, he is the only analyst that I totally and completely trust to tell me the absolute truth..no spin. Without David, I am always left to wonder what the real truth is. Thank You so much for having him in this economic discussion.

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  26. Chris from STL

Bailout is only a temporary .... for a long lasting solution we need to create jobs.

September 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Jacqui Chan

I am very interested in Erica Hill's mini-interview w David Gergan; I am hoping that U guys will reair or post it because there was NO volume- thank you

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Minou, New York City

Sarah Palin posing for pix with world leaders. No words. What a farce!

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  29. mitchell

is the government gonna charge folks who rent their house, for those who were lucky enough to own one ,for a while? why should i pay for rich stock traders and real estate speculators? i mean if i have to pay for a cheap house, shouldn't i get the cheap house?

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    I find the whole Sarah Palin candidacy strange. Shielding her from reporters, yet wanting her to look involved in foreign–public–policy makes little sense.

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  31. moe p.

Keep in mind that some of these loans were to help lower income people get in homes.

Don't make generalizations that it's rich Wall St. fat cat types that have these obligations to pay off .

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Adam

No Press can talk to her.
    Biden can't engage with her,
    and bedtime is 8pm

what does the vice president do?

September 23, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Bob VA

The fact is that much of the $700billion will buy assets that will be resold. The bailout could be recouped to a major degree just like the savings and loan bailout in the 90's. You are telling all the facts.

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Lisa L

Patrick they need to cover Palin after all she is fair game now why is she so special all of a sudden... She is running for the VP slot we need to know everything about this Stranger who will try to run this Country.. So I say go CNN and do your job reporting the story to all Americans.

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. sylvia, chicago

OK, so we bail out wall street; socialize one industry after another, all in an effort to save the US economy and maintain global stability...doesn't that make US the worst kind of hypocrit?! Promoting (by force in some cases) free enterprise all around the world and implementing socialist ideals at home

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Jacqui Chan

What Anderson And DG just said sums up EXACTLY how I feel
    Why does the government have $700 BILLION for this?!
    It odes feel like the government is bailing out the rich when American education is far behind other countries is this really where our tax dollars should go; WE should have a say!

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Julie Donnelly

Hi Anderson
    As a democrat, I am leaning toward not giving the 700 billion away. It is too much money, and too few are given the responsibility for all of it. Why do we want to take over bad debt? We never had a fraction of this money for health care or technology research. How do I know I am just protecting those who didn't care about anyone but their own wallet?

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Crystal

This mess with the bailout is crazy!!! How can our Congress agree to this? Instead of giving 700B why not do away with the capital gains tax and corporate tax? I heard on a talk radio show today that if we did away with both of these taxes for awhile, more capital would be freed up for these companies, our economy would be better and the taxpayers wouldn't have to foot the bill! I haven't heard anyone talking about this. SCARY!!!

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Holly

There are plenty of CEOs and people in Wallstreet who are criminals in this case and should be going to a real jail. Instead they will be withheld their millions? I don't think that's enough. White collar crime in the form of negligence needs to be punished by extensive jail time, period, especially when it jeopardizes the stability of the entire US economy. If you just withhold their money, big deal. They'll just turn around and do it again the next year because they know they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

September 23, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Wanda M Binkley

Erica, I would like to signup to a deal where I get 7 trillion with conditions Paulson wants!
    No rules , no court and no paper trail........

My question ....is ...congress going to extend the unemployment ifor thoswe of us who would like jobs or is it just the crooks they take care of!

September 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Michelle

We gonna vote everybody in the congress out. This is crap. Mainstreet bailing out wall street, you must be kidding me. We, the american people are angry to say the least. I want to see everybody make sacrifices, if I have to make him. I did not go out and buy a house I could not afford. I do not draw a 6 figure salary. I want ACCOUNTABILITY. CEO, CFO's and all other top mangement of these companies and Watch dog agencies have failed us, and darn-it, they should be fired for poor job performance -period.

September 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Caren in Nebraska/soon-to-be Boston

Anderson's point makes me think, and it makes me mad- how the gov't can now come up with this $$, even though for years, they've been saying they haven't had the $ for health care, etc. in the past. I actually hadn't thought of that before.

September 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Madeline

Howie, if we gave money to people facing foreclosures we might end up giving certain people homes they couldn't afford in the first place....in a way, we'll be rewarding these people for living outside their means. I live in a small house and not one of those mini-mansions because I'm responsible. I certainly don't want my tax dollars to go toward giving people free homes. Besides, I'm not sure this is the only problem banks are facing.

September 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    How will America pay back that 700 Billion to taxpyers.Where is the money gone.FBI have to ask.And who is responsibble for that?

September 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Lily

How come she speaks to Foreign leaders and not to the american press?

September 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Karen--Leesburg, VA

Some what contrary to David Gergen's point, last March Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-ND) pointed out that out of the bad mortgages 60 percent of those borrowers would have qualified for an affordable fixed rate mortgage–but the predatory lenders were making their money on the "exploding" mortgages. I'd say there are plenty of crooks for the FBI to investigate.

September 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Joy - California

The privatly owned and operated company named the Federal Reserve must to be abolished. The US Government must take back complete control of and responsibility for its economy and all the ramifications domestic and international. Outsourcing the control of the US economy to the Federal Reserve is completely insane and brought us to this catastrophy. If this insanity continues soon the dollar will worthless. How much worse will it have to get before people wake up?

September 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Patrick/Austin, Texas

Thank you David Gergen!

September 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

I understand that if we let some of these banks fail by themselves then there is a possibility of trouble for the rest of the stock market, but if we bail them out, doesnt it show the rest of the banks that if they should mess up then the federal government will bail them out? It sounds a little bit like the ultimate spoiling for banks. If you crash your car, daddy will pay for it and get you a new one.

September 23, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Peter Bauer

I am 45, and I rent in Seattle area because I didn't want to buy a house I could not afford knowing the ARM would be a lot higher if rates go up beyond the current record low rates at the time.

So, why should others get bailed out of their mortgages when I made the right decision at the time. Nobody is going to help me with my rent, are they?

September 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |