September 23rd, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Movin’ right along

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

I drink a lot of water. I like it au natural, as they say – a little hydrogen, a dash of oxygen, hold the fillers…and that includes rocket fuel. The EPA, however, doesn’t see it the same way. The technical name for this additive is perchlorate, a little gem that’s been found to interfere with thyroid function and also harbors developmental risks, especially for babies and fetuses. So why not rid your drinking water of the rocket fuel? The EPA concluded a perchorlate clean-up wouldn’t be a "meaningful opportunity for health risk reduction for persons served by public-water systems."

----

During last night’s webcast, there was a lot of talk about David Blaine’s latest stunt  in Central Park. Some of you weren’t too happy with the… let’s say “lack of support” for the planned 60 hour upside-down hang-fest. Today, some interesting developments about Mr Blaine’s time in the Park, including whether the claims about his stunt were truly on the up and up. Ah, the intrigue! Tune in for the latest tonight on the show.

----

I have to send you to the best blog of the day from our own Jack Gray. He has a fantastic, dry sense of humor – he’s also a fellow New Englander, which makes me love him even more. Who couldn’t use a few chuckles on a Tuesday? Click here for your ab workout, courtesy of Jack and the UN.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Erica!!!
    I agree with you!!! I always drink water many times everyday!!!! It is very interesting to check only purified water, it helps me more energy!!!It is work for me!!! it is very clean water without tap water!
    Last night..... I was so laughing so hard I agree with Anderson that was so funny caption beat 360!!!! I love this..... I love magician Blaine always tricks so fun!!!! I watch once David Blaine's show. it was so awesome to watch best trick!!!! See you there online soon!!!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

September 23, 2008 at 9:54 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

Hi Erica

Jack's post is funny. Thanks for pointing out his blog. It gave me a good chuckle.

Rocket fuel in our water? Yuck – how does it get there? Sounds like to me it would be a worthwhile exercise to get it out.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 23, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    Perchlorate? Perhaps David Blaine could make that disappear. Now that would be much more productive than hanging upside down like a bat. Oh well, whatever floats your boat..I guess magic is in the eye of the beholder. We all have our own waterway to travel.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

September 23, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  4. Colton Bentz, San Jose, CA

Hey Erica!!!

Rocket fuel in water....well..that's something alright. Im not sure what to think about that. Why wouldn't organizations responsible for our health try and actually HELP us. Perhaps we should get one of those water filters that go on your sink...they do always look so clear in the commercials...=D

And Blaine....i dont care for his...magic....not that it can be called that....more like uneventful stunts(Neither does my mom or dad). Did you ever say what your veiws were on him...you pretty much agreed with Anderson right? I think...

Well i'll see you in a bit!!!!
    -Colton

P.S.-If you get a new laptop soon, get a Macbook. They are great. Really. I got one and i LOVE it.

September 23, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  5. Marilyn Woodcock

I am a Senior. My retirement funds were invested, [misdirected by my financial adviser], in Fannie Mae Stock. It was my IRA money. Nobody is saying anything about Retired, people, their Stocks and Bonds, that were in IRA accounts.

We have lost everything.

And, the United states is spending 500-1 trillion dollars to go to Mars, and set up a useless moon space station. Why don't they freeze those
    programs to pay for this bail out.

I am crying out for help. Please pay attention to us Seniors..

September 23, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  6. Jeff Davidson

What if President Bush is lying about the bailout just as he lied about Iraq?

September 23, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  7. Sara bear, SoCal

Evening Miss Erica,

Is there any info on how the perc actually gets in the water? I'd assume it's the same way traces of pharmaceuticals are getting into drinking water, but I suppose truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. It's just too bad the EPA isn't interested in protecting people from potentially harmful substances. Cheers, I'll be seeing you wherever they sell water filters.

As for Blaine, I have to agree with Anderson. When I think "magician" (or even "illusionist", if he's ever called himself that), I expect disappearing elephants, or at least rabbits pulled from top hats. Come on, put a little effort into it, Blaine.

xo

September 23, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  8. C.Ross

Well,

I guess we need to start growing gardens, and collecting (ACID) rain water. You have to consider the lesser option of what will harm you the most!

Blaine WHO (LQTM) Laugh Quietly to Myself.

September 23, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  9. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

P.S. Congratulations on your new job! 😀

September 23, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  10. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Erica,
    Nothing like a little rocket fuel in your water to get ya goin'. I am addicted to the sparkling type. I don't know why. I feel completely nuts that regular water taste "flat" to me. Isn't that silly?
    Anyway, I take meds for my thyroid so maybe. . ?
    I don't care what kind of toxins are in my food, I don't want to know. THAT is why I'm voting republican! 😉
    ( You know that ain't so, don't ya?)
    I thought Anderson was right about David Blaine. At least he's honest!
    Thanks for the blog sister~
    XXOO

September 23, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  11. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Erica, I checked out Jack's artiicle you are right, it's way cool. see you tonight.

September 23, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  12. Heather,Ca,US

Hello Erica,

I read the rocket fuel article and it reminded me of a article my husband sent me about a study done that found traces of rocket fuel in "breast milk". I don't know what is wrong with FDA, but I also drink nothing but bottles and bottles of water and to think that the FDA who are supposed to be looking out for our health and well being, well I find it troubling to say the least. It makes me wonder if they mean tap water or bottled water or all water? I think Anderson is right about David Blaine. I think its a publicity stunt. I read the blog and it was great. Like I said only in New York.

September 23, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  13. Alexander

Erica, I had read through Jack Gray's piece earlier as well. I thought it was funny, personally. Hehe. See ya tonight, Erica.: )

September 23, 2008 at 7:54 pm |