September 22nd, 2008

ON THE RADAR: Tuesday

Lisa Ort
AC360° Producer

The road to nowhere…and other stories on our radar:

ON THE TRAIL:  Obama spends the day in Tampa.  McCain tours a factory in Middleburg Heights, OH before heading to another factory in Freeland, MI.  Biden delivers a speech in the evening in DC.  Palin is in New York City where she’ll meet with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, and Former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.

RAW POLITICS:The “bridge to nowhere” in Alaska became a lightning rod for federal waste and abuse.  Governor Palin says she said “no thanks” to federal money for it but what about the road that was supposed to connect that bridge to an airport?  Gravina Island Highway runs about three miles long and Governor Sarah Palin did not stop building the $26 million road even after the bridge was stopped.  Abbie Boudreau visited what many locals call the "road to nowhere."

63rd UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY GENERAL DEBATES BEGIN: Leaders from around the world are scheduled address the General Assembly during opening debates.

HEALTH CARE FOR THE UNINSURED DEBATE: Experts and lawmakers debate the need for health coverage for uninsured Americans at the National Press Club.

NEW MICHAEL MOORE FILM RELEASED ON THE INTERNET: Filmmaker Michael Moore’s new documentary “Slacker Uprising” will be released for free on the internet.  The film follows Moore as he traveled to 62 cities during the run-up to the 2004 election in an attempt to remove President Bush from office. Moore is releasing the film for free on the internet as a gift to his fans and hopes it will inspire “the largest turnout of young voters ever at the polls in November."

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. edwin pagan

I have been keeping an eye on the market am no wiz on but yes lets help the aig lemans and so on but let hold responsible the ceo! if they where willing to work with people , for example a family is having problem paying the morgage lets send some one to there house and see for first eye withness and help like this if there % is 9% lets make it for one year until the family is good for one year the family keeps the house the bank still gets an income and the house does not go on the market or the house dont gets vandalize .....Can you see what am saying ...

September 23, 2008 at 7:22 am |
  2. anthony

What is the current approval rating for President Bush?

September 23, 2008 at 5:13 am |
  3. Hot Rod

Do you feel safer yet? Are we better off than we were before? Is the future so bright you need to buy sunglasses? I think I've seen enough cheerleading, incompetence, and group think from the 2 percent to make me puke. Just wondering about the "beat away from the presidency" Palin's education? After watching hours of TV coverage, I'm not sure of her qualifications. Should we be concerned about her qualifications or should we be concerned with anyone's qualifications. I've always heard that what makes an expert is someone from out of town. If that's the case, she more than qualified and being a crack shot with a rifle too. I'm feeling safer all the time. Why should I worry if the GOP is elected to the presidency again? Let me count the ways......

September 23, 2008 at 4:35 am |
  4. J.V.Hodgson

It has been said before, but it's the economy, stupid. In that sense the electoral map you paint is out of touch in Ohio and Michigan, and possibly Nevada and Colorado, where unemployment and foreclosures, ethnic issues vs more of the same big business solutions of the recent $700bn bailout will play big time in the final votes. Michigan especially is leaning Obama.
    Please, please be realistic before the first debate and update polls in Michigan, Ohio, Nevada, Colorado, North Carolina. If Obama wins those he can lose the rest and win. Florida would simply determine the size of the win.
    Missouri and Wisconsin are up for grabs.
    For now Obama needs to hold his own on the foreign policy debate as expectations are very high for Mccain ( the POW bit is not enough) and Biden needs to say his famous "Yes" or "No" as often as posible in the Palin debate and not be a windbag and he will destroy her.
    All candidates VP and president need to concentrate on the real absolute lies or unrealistic stretches of the truth of the others campaign in thier responses that have emerged in the campaign and discussion and in the debates
    More of McCain /Palin = Bush is a winner. Economy, wars, domestic good feeling on many issues.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

September 23, 2008 at 4:02 am |
  5. Margaret in MD

I would like to see more actual numbers concerning the time period when most of these bad loans were made to buyers (for example 2003-2005), the total number of loans and their total value made during that time period, the number of foreclosed loans and their total value during that time period, the projected number of loans and their value that will be in foreclosure for the remainder of this year and next year, the percentage of total loans made during that time period that have gone into foreclosure, etc. Also, why isn't the president and/or other members of the government having special reports to keep the general population informed as to what is transpiring concerning these problems. I think that is better then going home to campaign. I know Bartlett in MD will not get my vote after this mess.

September 23, 2008 at 2:48 am |
  6. ken

Would you pay $2.00 for something worth 2 cents? Why would you pay 100 times more than something is worth? Bush is asking us to pay $1 trillion dollars to bail out banks worth no more than $20 billion dollars. He is stealing your and mine $980 Billion Dollars so his friends won't loose money. He is smart in stealing from us as he has done for last 7 years. WHY ARE WE JUST AS DUMB AS WE HAVE BEEN FOR LAST 7 YEARS? WHY??????? WAKE UP. OPPOSE THE BAIL OUT.

If you know a stock is only worth 1 penny would you ever pay a dollar to buy it? That is exactly what Bush is asking us to do. That is exactly how he sold us 1 trillion dollar IRAQ WAR. He makes us panick. Call your senators and congress people to oppose the bailout. WAKE UP!!!!!!!! IT IS OUR MONEY. IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY.

September 23, 2008 at 2:42 am |
  7. JOHN

Thanks Anderson, you really do try to get to the bottom of things. America appreciates you and CNN.

September 23, 2008 at 2:36 am |
  8. Pat

Keith, Senator Obama was on the Senate Foreign relations committee. Also he is just better educated than Palin who barely got a degree in journalism. Yeah she was voted Gov., of Alaska and can see Russia.

September 23, 2008 at 2:26 am |
  9. Maryann

If the Government can bail-out banks, when the banks had an opportunity to sell the properties in short-sales, instead they turned down the short-sale, wanted to collect their PMI (if they had it) then let the property go into foreclosure at 50% of short-sale offers, not Loan balance.

Why can't they bail-out the Americans that lost their home, after trying to re-negotiate their loans, or short sell the properties or both?

I say give everyone the opportunity to a clean slate, not just Wall Street!!!

September 23, 2008 at 2:18 am |
  10. K.D.Chapman

Mr. Cooper In all honesty I do watch your show/and of course Lou Dobbs. But, this Democratic Congress has been in charge, according
    to CNN 2 years. Just what has this Congress done in that 2 years.
    I would like to know. Is there anyway CNN can place on thier web
    pages a complete detail of each member of the House and the Senate for future references....sort of keeping them honest might say.

September 23, 2008 at 1:58 am |
  11. K.D.Chapman

Confused: Just what is the plan? For wall street. Just what is the plan by Obama/McCain?? What is the solution? All the experts
    all the talk?? Just what does it all mean to me?? Let the chips roll.
    Wall Street rolled and the lost. Tighten the belt and go on. No need
    for any type of bailout. If the world suffers for few years or more so
    be it. Want be the first time, want be the last time.

September 23, 2008 at 1:54 am |
  12. Dylan

Mr. Cooper,
    If Barack Obama is to become president on Nov. 4, and Hilary Clinton is offered a position in his cabinet, such as Secretary of State, do you think that she would except it?

September 23, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  13. K.D.Chapman

Question: Does Obama have any econmic experience within the political circles?

September 23, 2008 at 1:46 am |
  14. K.D.Chapman

Think of the canidates for a moment. Three years as a senator. Two which was spent on the campaign trial. What economic experience
    does OBAMA really have? Has he studied econmics? Has he been
    in charge of some committee that has dealt with, for instance de-regulation, or regulation. Same speeches, mainstreet america. Last
    time he was on main street was when he was moving up to a US Senate seat. Just what is his plan for a nation of 300 million? Just
    what crystabl ball does he hold to expect someone like me that he
    can get a democratic congress to do anything. They've been in charge
    last two years. My mortgage would be safe if I got the deal he got on his house...yes sir..sure must be nice to smile say I got it in the bag.

September 23, 2008 at 1:37 am |
  15. David

I really wish that people would stop comparing Palin to Obama or even talking about them in the same league. It took her 5 colleges to get a journalism degree while he was the president of the Harvard law review. Doesn't that make him about 10,000 times smarter? If McCain becomes president and something happens to him it would be a disaster. I would probably move to Europe.

September 23, 2008 at 1:31 am |
  16. K.D.Chapman

Pay for this bailout with the billions going for foreigh aid. Pull the troops out of Europe, since NATO does not work nor help in our
    efforts in Iraq or Afganistan. Stop assistance to any country or
    government that does not see it our way. Demand payment for
    debts that remain uncollected from World War II. OR, forget the
    bailout and go to the World Bank and declare bankruptcy.
    Forget Wall Street. Stop unsecured loans to illegal aliens from
    Mexico, by institutions. Thats a common practice in Arkansas.

September 23, 2008 at 1:30 am |
  17. Heather Ferreira

Anderson!
    Please remember that the" 7 hundred billion dollar bailout", isin't the purchase of a disposal commidty, but rather an investment, which has intrinsic value, and in the end; we will most likley uncover our investment, make a profit or at least a modest rate of return.
    However, we will have accomplished a major goal of restoring faith in the basic fictures in our ecconomy.

September 23, 2008 at 1:29 am |
  18. Robert

What difference does it make at this point in time what experience someone has.. Apparently it doesnt because we have a bunch of experience up in Washington now and they are all screwed up. It is about character and doing the job you were hired to do. PERIOD.. My 13 year old kid has more common sense than the people up there. Its not all about experience sorry to say...I mean if you watch Obama answer questions he is much more calm and intelligent than McCain.. who trips over his words and doesnt seem to have a clue what to say..Leadership that is what we need.... The situation is every changing and we need someone who can change with it!

September 23, 2008 at 1:22 am |
  19. Charlotte in Oregon

Anderson 360,
    I applied for an FHA loan and was denied because I was late on my payments; I have been caught up since March by because of my history I was declined. I think it is sad that the banks that caused this melt down can be rescued but the governement doesn"t care about the peopled that will be taxed to coved the bale out (I only make $90K so I am middle lower class). We will loose our homes, be in financial straights but the financial instiitutions , the CEO and CFO's that are responsible will be fine. I love how our government is looking out for us. I was able to afford my mortgage payment prior to my ARM loan adjusting and asking the fine estblishment, that are asking for help now, for the same consideration they are asking of the tax payers I was told no. I don't know how I will make it but I am sure glad George B is looking out for Wall Street; makes me feel so proud to be an American.

P.S. I would have sent this to Obama, believing that he had the common man in mind, but I can't send him an e-mail unless I am willing to donate $15 to his champaign....maybe he isn's so different from John and George after all....it is only to people that can afford to donate that he cares to hear from... Thank you AC360 for being different.

September 23, 2008 at 1:18 am |
  20. Robert

We need to stop the bail-out and let the economy bottom out as the normal economic cycle dictates. If we bail them out the system stays inflated....And then people like me still wont be able to afford to buy a house. We need a change.. We need to keep foreign investors out of the U.S. in markets like this. Why are we allowing foreign markets to profit off Americans hard times??? We need more of an isolationalism mentality. Spend more time and money on our country, pull out of Afghan and Pakistan and use the money for our own country. We need to oust everyone in Washington and re-elect new people. Get rid of both political parties neither have fixed the $4 a gallon gas or $4 a gallon milk I pay for either.... They could have taken oil of the speculative commodities list, but nope they didnt. They dont want to change that because they are making money... bottom line.. I am a single dad of 3 boys and Active Duty military member. No bail-outs.. The American people need to SEE that you are doing something up there.. Action no words!!
    I dont care if they come back from washington with nothing decided at least it is not the wrong thing and at least that means they are not caving in. Take back this country.. before it takes itself back..People are pissed!

September 23, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  21. Gilby-HI

I got a call from my son who lives in tha bay area. He was very sad and affraid of what was happening around him. The Idea that a woman with five children and a husband that loves her is a very firghtening aspect to a presidentual campaign.
    For me watching the congress with the same guy stand up front, that got us into this Fanny/Freddy mess is way more serious. I swear lots of them have feathers around there mouths and cash hanging out of there pockets.

September 23, 2008 at 12:42 am |
  22. KIm

Joy Behar from the View discussed this topic tonight on Larry King and said,"We know you said yes and then took the money." "We know what happened." No we don't and what happened ? We the people heard Palin say,"I told congress thanks but no thanks."

September 23, 2008 at 12:32 am |
  23. kay

Mccains so-called experience got us into the Iraq war. The cost in lives and treasure is incalculable. Obamas good judgement would have prevented this.Obamas good judgement is superior to Mccains over-hyped experience.

September 23, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  24. karen

I don't know about the rest of AMERICA, but I think we got a real big MESS right now!! We are bailing out the banks with all this money. Can you tell me who thought about bailing our fellow American out when the housing market start to belly up? People losing their jobs and homes at a all time high. And then here come this drama with the Republican VP pick, she was aloted $95,000.00 for her a lawyer for her mess in Alaska. I believe this woman did that mess!! I don't care what you say, if she trying to get the investigation stalled or stoped until after the election, SHE DID IT !!! If you aren't guilty it doesn't matter when the truth comes out, I would want it to come out before the election so people would know "that I am what I say I am". So you better think on November 4, about the last eight years. We can think about the last month all the devastation that has gone on with the gas, the economy, and the jobs that has been lost. I believe if we put McCain/Palin in the White House we will continue to make AMERICA suffer. McCain helped create this mess with the BUSH ADMINISTRATION, and he will continue on the same path. I want to keep my job just like everyone else does and I want to be able to buy gas, and invest my money safely. Remember McCain helped create this mess!!!! ( Believe That !! )

September 23, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  25. Catie

Yay Jeffrey Toobin! Thanks for coming to Elon!!!

September 22, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  26. kay

Mccain has poor judgement. He is quick to assign blame and tell lies with a straight face. Americans have good reasons to be scared if .God forbid, he becomes President.

September 22, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  27. jerome

Bravo!!! We really screwed this one up by doing the job of the extremists who want to topple our country by destroying our economy.
    We are self-destroying because of the greed of executives of large financial companies whom we trusted with our retirement and now we want to trust them again to fix our problems!!!!
    This looks like the last days of the Roman empire and I am not sure we can ever be the same again.
    Hope we can get some real leadership in Washington to help us out of this mess and guide this wonderful country back to the right path.

September 22, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  28. carol ann fitzgerald

if paulsen is a goldman sachs grad does that mean he has wall street interests at heart?

September 22, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  29. theresa brassard

When will the revolution start in this country? How many homes have to go in foreclosure? How many people have to loose jobs? How many people have to lose their savings? How high will we allow the price of gas to go ? $10 per gal ? What more has to happen before the people wake up and say enough is enough?
    Bigger government is not what we need. We pay our taxes for representation??? Health, Education, Roads, Social Security...What's so secure about that now...If all the monies donated to polititions to campaign and run for office were used instead to repair our economy maybe that would secure our votes rather then line the pockets of a select few.
    Paulson's bailout plan gives him "Carte Blanch" to rape us again and again... They want people to not get deeper in debt but it's ok for the government? Maybe if we all refused to pay taxes that would get their attention.

September 22, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  30. Constantin

hello Anderson, I understand that most comunity banks have up to 11% of their investent invested into Freddie or Funny. The goverment took over fre and fnm and in the process deluted their shares by 80%. And, as a result deluted the investment of the comunty banks. Now , we are trying to bail these banks out. It seems to me we are going in a circle and wasting our money. Please let me know what you think, thanks

September 22, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  31. Oscar III - New York

Henry Paulson proposes to "lay golden eggs" for wallstreet... at least Trouble lays eggs that are eco-friendly.

September 22, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  32. Lauren, Northern California

Senator Obama has Senator Biden as his VP who has extensive foreign affairs and international experience.

Obama has more international experience than Palin does. He has actually lived outside the US and has traveled extensively.

Palin only got her Passport last year for the first time.
    If she thinks she is going to fool the American people with this last minute photo op with leaders, she and McCain have underestimated us. I think this will backfire on them.

Yes, Palin is running for VP but the danger of McCain not finishing office is a very real danger.

September 22, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  33. Gary

No wonder this country is in the shape its in, when vice president candidate Sara Palin, is going to meet with " Bono " ha ha a world leader give me a break.

September 22, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  34. Mike in NYC

I'm sure Randi is a nice kid, but her comment is a sad indicator of how early anti-white brainwashing is starting nowadays.

I wonder if she picked that up at home, at school, or from TV. Everything seems to be pushing the same line, sadly.

September 22, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  35. David Lambard

David from Phoenix,
    Anderson You guys are smart, do some math for me. How much money would each American over 21 would make if we split 700 B.?

September 22, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  36. John Harper

Our Parents are probably mad at us right now...and many are turning over in their graves. I am a Boomer. Our parents went thru the Great Depression and they instilled in us Boomers the story and how terrible it was.

Now, because of our apathy and inability to take control of the unacceptable politicians, party wars, etc. etc. we are reaping the tail wind . Because of extreamism of all kinds.....we will suffer this second, Great Depression....I hope you all think of your parents and ask yourself.....did I do what I could have to help prevent this....did I do my civic duty in all cases....did I council my children as our parents counciled us?

Good luck everybody....we are all going to hell together.....we are all going to be the Okies traveling to California to pick fruit....perhaps next time....we will remember and not allow our politicians to run our lives again. Politicians have sold their soul to the lobbyist's and the inflated dollar. They haven't really served the people for many years now. And We The People let it all happen.

May they

September 22, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  37. Jim McCanna

You all watched while the "Kingdom of Bush" floated their so called tax break for the rich, giving up over a trillion dollars in taxes over 6 years and replacing it with loans from foreign governments and now you all seem to think that bilking the taxpayers of another 2 or 3 trillion will straighten things out, in truth you are just delaying and creating a basis to leave our country in complete ruin. When are you all going to realize that in the past 7 years the National debt has been doubled and we are paying $441 billion in interest on this debt before this latest 2 or 3 trillion is added on. You can't buy an economy no matter how hard you college grads try.

Not smarter than A fifth grader

JJ in Nv

September 22, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  38. sharon

The govt is going to bailout the banks how about helping the homeowners and give them something off their home loans we are the ones that is going to be paying this back, we are the taxpayers, don't we have a say in this and where our money is going

September 22, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  39. Jason

Yea, thats just down right horrible when the THEME of the campaign, is in itself, the biggest lie they tell over and over..."Country First". It's so easy to see through the lie. I can't comprehend why people continue to vote for these people...
    WHO ARE THEY? Why...just why?

I couldn't believe it when the US elected GWB the 1st time, let alone a 2nd time!!?? So wonders will never cease to amaze me, if mccain gets elected I'm moving to Canada!

September 22, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  40. Gregory /Charlotte NC

Here is a question, how can we give a blank check to a man that ran one of the sinking ships, goldman sachs three years ago, I think he knows more than what he is saying., WITH know questions ask, the question. WHY WAS HE PICKED TO BE THE TREASURER AND HAS BEEN WRONG MOST OF THIS YEAR AND LAST.

September 22, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  41. Robin

Personally I would like to see the CEOs of these companies be held accountable for what happened. Now the taxpayers have no choice to bailout the Wall Street.

As for Palin meeting world leaders at the UN has to be the biggest joke. Anyone else but this woman should have been picked for VP. She is an embarrassment to the GOP ticket.

September 22, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  42. Deryk Anderson

Since when did Bono become a world leader?

Thought he was just an activist/rock star...

Not that the other guys don't count – but no G8 leaders?

September 22, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  43. Latrese Magee

Hi Anderson,
    I am so concerned that this whole bailout business is

just a way to cover the deeds of Bush and his goons. Sarah is just as

out of touch as Macain if she doesnt realize that she just a pawn, but what's scary is she may really know.

September 22, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  44. Randi

Mr. Cooper,

Who do you want to win the election? I think Obama is going to win, but the only thing hoding him back is the racist White people! Dont you agree? Anyways... My Mom thinks that if Obama does win the election, he is most likely going to get assasinated within the first 3 years of being president. I think there is a possibility that it could happen, but i dont think it is likely. But i dont know. Thanks for reading this if you do..

-Randi, 13,
    Appleton, Wisonsin

September 22, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Keith

What knowledge of, or experience in foreign policy or international affairs does obama bring to the table? He's running for POTUS for crying out loud!!

September 22, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Sandra, Ontario

Hi Anderson, Hi Erica

Sarah Palin will be at the UN for photo ops with foreign leaders, does this translate into foreign policy experience as she claimed when she said she could see Russia from her house?
    We first heard about the bridge to nowhere, now we are hearing about the road to nowhere, what's next?
    This woman has no knowledge of, or experience in foreign policy or international affairs. What was John McCain thinking, we know she was chosen by the fundamental christians but should he not have been thinking about the country first rather than winning?

September 22, 2008 at 10:10 pm |