September 22nd, 2008

Dominick Dunne hospitalized: "I am in a lot of pain. Lot of pain"

Editor’s Note:

O.J. Simpson is on trial for robbery and kidnapping charges nearly a year after police arrested him in Las Vegas, Nevada. Prosecutors say Simpson and five other men stormed into a Las Vegas hotel room last September 13 to recover sports memorabilia that Simpson said belonged to him. They say at least two men with Simpson had guns as they robbed two sports memorabilia dealers. The following dispatches come from our Paul Vercammen covering the trial.

--------------------------–

Author Dominick Dunne observing the O.J. Simpson's trial in Las Vegas last week. Dunne was taken to Las Vegas hospital today after complaining of pain

Paul Vercammen
CNN Senior Producer

Vanity Fair writer Dominick Dunne was taken to Valley Hospital in Las Vegas shortly after complaining of pain.

Dunne was sitting in court listening to testimony in the O.J. Simpson kidnapping and armed robbery trial.

Just before 10 this morning Dunne grabbed me and said "I am in a lot of pain. Lot of pain," he then motioned toward an area below his belt.

"I want to go back to my hotel."

Dunne, who is battling bladder cancer, looked ashen as he gingerly left the courtroom.

Court marshals called paramedics and Dunne was taken to the hospital.

UPADTE:

“I’m okay, I am doing fine under the circumstances,” Dunne said from the hospital just before 11am PT.

“But this probably means that I will have to go back to New York in the next few days.” Dunne said against doctor’s orders, he flew to Las Vegas to cover the O.J. Simpson trial.

When testimony began last week Dunne told fellow journalists and writers it was great to be back working after his “difficult summer,” alluding to his bladder cancer.

1. MaryLou Taylor

Our love and our prayers are with you. Thank you so much for your work. Please be well soon! I can't wait for your biography.

September 23, 2008 at 8:35 am |
  2. JGM

You are a lovely thoughtful gentleman. We hope and pray for your full and complete recovery. For all that you do, for victims of crime and their families, we are grateful.

September 23, 2008 at 5:37 am |
  3. Wayne

Hope things work out okay for Dominick. Although I disagreed with his opinion that OJ was guilty in the murder trial. I enjoyed his analytical view and the way he always presents himself.

September 23, 2008 at 3:12 am |
  4. Angela

I just heard that mr. Dunne was'nt feeling well. I hope he has a speedy recovery and is better real soon. I too enjoy Power, Priviledge and justice. He seems like a fine man.

September 22, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  5. Patty

Mr. Dunne has been such a loud voice for the victims of crime.
    I admire his advocacy and am so sad to hear that he has not been well.

I'm keeping him in my prayers.

September 22, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  6. Paige Parker

I just love Mr. Dunne, he always has the perfect twist on all of his stories, books or reporting. I have followed his “writing” career since the beginning, he has been the MAIN reason I purchase Vanity Fair every month and when he does not have an entry in the magazine-no matter what is featured, it is just another magazine. I am so sorry to hear that he is having another bout with cancer-you are in my prayers and take care of yourself!!! Your devoted fan, Paige Parker

September 22, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  7. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Hoping the best for Mr. Dunne. I enjoy his articles in Vanity Fair. He's one of the reasons I've been a subscriber for so long. He brings an honest perspective to everything he writes, one that I appreciate in a world of spin doctor journalism. The OJ trial won't be the same without him there.

September 22, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  8. Alex

This is turning in a "typical" OJ Simpson circus again with all sorts of people hitting the deck. I hope this fellow gets over whatever he has, but gish...get this trial going and convict the guitly dude!

September 22, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

Dominick Dunne is awesome. What a great writer/story teller. I wish him the best! I love that show especially on TruTv – Power, Privilege, & Justice.

September 22, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

I love his show, He is most amazing person author on Tru Tv! My dad had cancer too, he bladder problem and found cancer his body for ten years before he died.... I hope he will get well soon, my prayer and thoughts with Dominick Dunnne. Take care,
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

September 22, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  11. Beth

My prayers are with Mr Dunne. I love his writing in Vanity Fair magazine as well as the books he has written.

September 22, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  12. Melissa, Los Angeles

I had no idea he had cancer. I wish him well on beating it.

September 22, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  13. Angie

I was deeply saddened to find out Dominick Dunne has cancer. I absolutely love his show, "Power, Privilege and Justice", on Tru TV, and have always enjoyed his appearances on Larry King Live. He is a person of such class and taste.

I first became interested in him when he wrote about the murder of Martha Moxley, and that is when I learned of his own daughter's tragic murder.

My prayers are with you, Mr. Dunne.

September 22, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  14. Ellen Carver

I've always enjoyed Dominick Dunne. I wish him well.

September 22, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  15. Cathy Crosby

I am saddened to hear that Mr. Dunne has suffered even a bit. He is such an important writer with uncommon integrity, willing to expose the likes of these arrogant, rich criminals, including murder, double murder!

I wish him a speedy recovery and many more years of good health.

Cathy Crosby
    Santa Monica

September 22, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  16. Joy O

My best wishes to a great man who has done the public a great service. Dominick Dunne is a hero to me.

September 22, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  17. Heather,ca

I have known he has been fighting bladder cancer since the day it appeared on CNN ticker. I have been a huge fan of his show on TruTV. I have learned so much from a true gentleman who lost his one and only beautiful daughter to a murderer. I read that he would fly in for this case against doctors advice. I think that says everything. I don't think even Simpson could ever comprehend that the best dressed man with the most class and courage is fighting for his life with dignity,class and elegance. I know cancer pain is really really bad and I just hope he gets to finish his work for all of us to read. Im sure his daughter is looking down from above very proud of her father. What courage and strength to fly to Vegas for this. I hope he makes it home ok.

September 22, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  18. Bernadette

I second that. He truly is a blessing to watch and hear his insight on what's going on. Hope he is going to pull through.

September 22, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  19. Judy

Dominick Dunne is a brilliant journalist. I am saddened to hear of his illness and pray that God will be with him and keep him from pain. My sincerest wishes go out to him that he will make a complete recovery.

September 22, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  20. Socalgirl93

WOW! This is the first time I'm hearing about Dominick Dunne having cancer :-( I hope he'll be okay. I love watching his show on TruTv. Can't get enough of it!

September 22, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  21. Keith

O.J. made him famous.

September 22, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  22. Beni

My best wishes for Mr. Dunne's health and recovery! He has always been an enjoyable and insiteful member of the true crime reporting community and I'd hate to see him suffer ill health.

September 22, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  23. rl-OH

I read Mr Dunne every month in Vanity Fair. So sorry to hear he is
    having health issues. All of my best thoughts to him while trying
    to do his well respected job as well tend to his own medical issues.

I know how he lives for these trials, so I can understand his efforts
    to ignore his own doctors orders. Think of yourself Mr Dunne and
    just get yourself healthy again.

September 22, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  24. Susan Foster

Get well wishes to you Mr. Dunne. Have so enjoyed your Vanity Fair articles over the years as well as your Court-TV program. God Bless you.

September 22, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  25. BRIDGIT

My prayers are with you. I love watching you in action.

September 22, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  26. Nichole..Il

Sending out many well wishes to Mr. Dunne. I very much enjoy watching him on Court TV. I was unaware that he had been ill. I sure hope he has a swift recovery.

September 22, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  27. Vikki56572

My thoughts are with you, Mr. Dunne. I love watching your show, Power, Priviledge and Justice.

September 22, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  28. Nancy

I hope he gets well soon. He has done alot for victims and he is a wonderful person

September 22, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  29. Betty... AZ

I am a huge fan. Be well, Dominick!

September 22, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  30. Tina

I love "Power, Privilege & Justice" as well as the articles he writes. All my best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

September 22, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  31. Meg

God bless you, Dominick.

September 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  32. Kathy

Covering OJ this time around...not important. Taking care of yourself....IMPORTANT.....get your fanny on a plane back to N.Y. and listen to the doc.....and get well soon....xo

September 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  33. Frank

I enjoy Dominick Dunn's television shows very much. He is one of the most prolific writers. I like him alot.

September 22, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  34. Marie

I didn't know either. I also enjoy his show on Tru TV. I hope he recovers and will pray for him.

Marie...TX

September 22, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  35. Nona

Sorry to hear this news about Mr Dunne. I enjoy reading his books as well as his magazine articles.He leads a fascinating life and I certainly hope that he will quickly recover. God bless!

September 22, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  36. Lynsey Powers

Best wishes to Mr. Dunne for full remission and recovery. I have read and enjoyed Mr. Dunne's fiction works as well as his reporting and he has never let me down. I will pray for you, Mr. Dunne.

September 22, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  37. cecilia

my sister and i love you, mr. dunne. please get well as fast as possible. we love your work, so listen to your doctor this time. our prayers go out to you, you are in our thoughts and prayers

September 22, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  38. Anna

I've read some of Dunne's books and he's a wonderful writer. Has he written any more lately? I hope he gets well soon!!!

Anna of Indiana

September 22, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  39. Adrienne

My best wished go to you, Mr. Dunne.

September 22, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  40. Cindy

I didn't know that Dunne has cancer. I enjoy seeing him on Tru TV and hearing his thoughts on the cases that they cover. I hope that he is going to be OK.

Cindy...Ga.