AC360 Thursday 8p

There are growing questions about the Bluefin-21 search for Flight 370. What's happens when it completes its sweep? The latest tonight on AC360.
September 13th, 2008

Sharing the roads with downed trees and power lines

Program Note: Watch special coverage from the storm, with Anderson Cooper tonight 6p -8p ET.

Kim Segal
CNN Supervising Producer

We woke up in Houston to find the streets littered with debris. After hearing about the flooding and rescue operations in Orange, Texas we decided to make our way there. Leaving a team behind to report on the damage in downtown Houston.

Those of us working on the CNN special — with Anderson Cooper, 6- 8pm tonight — hit the road. Starting out west on Interstate 10 we zigzagged around flooding, driving on and off the service road.

A half hour into our two hour trip the interstate became impassable. We are now going North to eventually go South in order to reach our destination. The fleeting view from my passenger side window I see destruction everywhere. Properties are flooded, roofs are damaged, we are sharing the road with downed trees and power lines.

With cameraman Robert Proctor at the wheel we are carefully making our way around the debris that blocks the road.

We just passed a military convoy. From our first glance at the aftermath of Hurricane Ike their assistance will be invaluable to numerous towns here in Texas.

Filed under: Hurricane Ike
  1. Donna Hauldren

I live in Orange Texas, "The Cove" to be exact.
    Where are the "eye in the sky views" of chemical row , all those plants back there next to the cove and the flooding, Has anyone even bothered to see how much contamination is in the water from the sediment ponds behind the plants.
    I work on chemical row, how bad has the industry been damaged?

September 15, 2008 at 6:43 am |
  2. Julie San Diego, CA

Hope everyone is safe and that the cleanup goes well and goes quickly. From your photo, I can see that the high voltage lines (the towers in the upper left of your photo) appear to be operational because the insulators look like they're still under tension so the lines can't be on the ground.

The low voltage distribution lines (short black poles in the foreground) are much easier to fix if they're down. The power company should have them up and running by the end of the week.

When you think about it, it's amazing that anything can stay up in 100+ mph winds.

September 15, 2008 at 2:59 am |
  3. Annie Kate

I missed the special – just now saw the blog entry. I hope it will either be repeated or put in the video section so we can see it from ac360.com.

I thought it was rather symbolic that Friday's 360 was dominated by the storm and the train wreck. The train wreck seemed to be symbolic of the impact of Hurricane Ike. Both terrible events. Ike is having an impact on a lot of the country where it didn't pass through and cause flooding – gas prices are through the roof. I feel for all the people in Louisiana , the Gulf coast, Galveston and Houston – the damage Ike caused looks a lot like what we saw with Katrina. I hope the recovery doesn't take as long for the sake of the people impacted.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 14, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  4. Linda Curcio

I appreciated your coverage, however, I spoke with my brother today whose family rode out the storm in NW Houston. He is furious because FEMA has done nothing and the press seems to be letting them get away with acting like they are doing things. The fact is that the local school district and other private citizens answered a local congressman's call over the radio that the Texas National Guard stationed at Tully Stadium were out of food, water and porta potties. Within two hours they were flooded with all they needed and were able to set up a food bank of sorts to hand out supplies to people short of food and water in another part of Houston. In other words, Texans, local citizens and the local agencies handled it all while FEMA did nothing despite all the time they had to prepare. Also, there may be a coverup not only of FEMA's incompetence but why is it that no reporters are allowed to the West end of Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula? Is there a body count that the U.S. govt is trying to hide? What's the deal? All I know is once again Texans took care of themselves with no help from the federal govt. I just hope that Texans wake up and give their state electoral votes to Obama/Biden as the incompetence and total lack of compassion for anyone but themselves continues in the Bush administration.

September 14, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  5. TheWanderer

After the 1900 storm, one would have thought that this area of Texas would have learned their lesson. They have had over 100 years to get ready for this one.

September 14, 2008 at 9:37 pm |
  6. Bonnie Graves

With stories that the Red Cross is so short of money, WHY aren't we hearing of the Oil Company Ceo's with billions in BONUS money making BIG Donations to the people of TEXAS-their OWN HOME STATE????? Drill-Drill-Drill--Didn't the Hurricane just wash ashore riggs and ARE'NT their OIL SPILLS in the gulf now as shown on TV–I guess the American People are really NOT TOO BRIGHT–HOW ABOUT DUMB!!!! Bonnie

September 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  7. Luis Soltren

I would grab the old hard bread from the fridge which my mom kept there to keep away from the bugs .

Then I would grab the Jar of peanut butter which we got from the food bank.

I would manage to scrape maybe 2 T- Spoons of peanut --I would ad a little bit of water and stretch it as I seen my mom do so many times before.

I would spread it on the bread and in those days call it a bread sandwich Then share it with my brothers and sisters.

We did this cause we had no money but we had hope that thing would get better.

I wish My mom could have been a Hockey mom but we could not afford shoes in those days .

In those days I could not play sports I shined shoes .

I see the Republicans are going through a Hard time - Because they have also Learned to make a Palin Sandwich -With Palin being the peanut butter and

the Jar almost empty they are trying to stretch it so much that My Mom and expert at it –could learn something from them.

When I look and listen to Palin- It is plain to see the Jar is empty in McCain I see what was once a great man now trying to sell the American people
    and empty jar of peanut butter.

In Obama I see the words that I have lived by HOPE That is why My life has changed Hope is a powerful thing with out hope we have nothing.

Because of community organizers like Obama Many nights I went to bed with some something in my stomach

TRUE STORY you can't help people i

Luis Soltren

September 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  8. Dan Crocker

How does anyone know how many people died that were actually in some of those houses completely destroyed by Ike? How does anyone get a body count from under all that rubble !!
    Dan

September 14, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  9. bill

You would think that two years after horrible Katrina and the Bush Administration could have developed a more in-depth plan for dealing with a natural disaster. What if we had to go to a real war with Russia ? Can you imagine what would happen to gas prices in that case, look at WWII. Maybe we should go to rationing as they did in WWII. The Bush Administration is like the deer in a horrible set of headlights.He is going to Texas for a camera op. He has pleged that all price goughers will suffer the wrath of the Fedeal Government.
    He doesn't care he will be back in Maine shortly sitting on his even newer oil revenues and looking forward to cozy visits to Bandar.
    I can only imagine how this country must look to foregin governments,
    even Cuba has done a better job than the U.S. has done as caring for it's citizens.

September 14, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  10. Jody

A group of us "refugees" from Port Arthur Texas are sitting up in Dallas. Were excited to see AC in Bridge City last night. There he was, standing in waders, hip deep in the flood waters......and then the dog walks up and AC walks towards the dog, up and out of the ditch he was standing in for dramatic effect. Sorry AC, you lost all your street creds right then and there.
    Bridge City and Orange flooding was very real, with water up to rooflines in several areas. We have friends that have lost homes and some that suffered severe damage. AC, standing in a ditch for effect, you are a better journalist than that.

September 14, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  11. Deirdre Anderson, Boston MA

Take care of yourselves and those around you. Our prayers are with you.

September 14, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  12. anastacia

I just spoke to family members in Orange Texas they need water and ice. No utilities at all. People are hungry but they do not care about food today. Lots of damage to buildings. Nothing is opened. Lots of rescues still underway.

I've tried calling FEMA and the Red Cross, lines are busy. Can you help get word to authorities. Please help.

September 14, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  13. Shiraz Younas

I wish the electrical companies could give an expected time for repairs for different zipcodes so that families with kids could plan appropriately. We were not in an evacuation zone but are considering moving out if there is no powere for a long time.

September 14, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  14. Nancy

Hi
    Whatever happened to the freighter with 22 people aboard?

September 13, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  15. nancy

what ever happened to the big ship that lost power out in the ocean?

September 13, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  16. Mark Garrison

Why is there no extensive aerial footage of what Ike has done to Galveston? After Katrina, dramatic aerial footage from the media was all over the news. Watch the news now; there's nothing showing how extensive the damage really is. Are they scared to show people what's going on over there?

September 13, 2008 at 10:58 pm |