September 12th, 2008

Lives saved: 62

Jim Spellman
CNN Producer

It hasn't even started raining and the coast guard and air national guard have already saved 62 lives.

In Bolivar Texas down near Galveston folks didn't or couldn't evacuate and the incredible storm surge ahead of Ike trapped them in their homes.

Here at the operations center the Coast Guard has set up in Katy, TX things are getting hectic.

Filed under: Hurricane Ike
  1. James

I really admire the Coast Guard and all of the rescuers who put thier lives on the line for others. That said, what is it going to take to put teeth in the term mandatory evacuation? This storm has targeted this area for days, yet now I read that as many as 32,000 may need to be rescued. How many rescuers will be injured or perhaps die for those who chose to stay or thought they could out run it like the freighter? Maybe the government should charge those who stayed for the cost of their rescue, or maybe thier next of kin.... Three years ago we blamed New Orleans for the deaths of those who chose to stay as well as those who didn't have the means to leave. These folks had the means... busses were available yet the news said they are largely unused... We'll see who is blamed for the deaths this time.

September 12, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  2. freedomfilm dot com

Jim,

Given the dangerous nature of reporting from a disaster area – I would like to see a story about how the crew and reporters are prepared for working in a potential disaster area. Show us the training, supplies, security, communications, water treatment etc.

You don't just drop them there I am sure... As well, it wouldn't be responsible to be sending staff into a place where they themselves would need to be rescued.

This type of story would add a personal aspect to the stories of these reporters in harms way and make the "reporting from the seawall" seem much safer and more responsible, and be very educational helping teaching preparedness, survival skills , and disaster readiness.

September 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  3. Cindy

Lucky for these people that the coast guard could get to them. Just think how it'll be during and after the storm if it is as bad as they say it'll be.

Cindy...Ga.

September 12, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  4. Jackie in Dallas

As a former "coastie" now living in the Dallas area, hurricanes are not to be taken lightly. Galveston, of all places, should know that, since the city has been nearly distroyed numerous times just in the last 100 years. Thank goodness, and with luck, we won't lose 12,000 or more like the great storm in 1900, but every death should be a warning that even a tropical storm, much less a category 2 or greater hurricane, is not a spectator sport. This intense media attention is both good and bad; good because showing the intensity of the storm and the flooding could save lives, and bad because it might desensitize people to the enormity of a storm.

My sister is in Beaumont, located east of Houston, and close enough to the direct path to worry me. I hope that this time, she has evacuated!

September 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  5. Joelle

Looks like "IKE" isn't so mighty as the human spirit!

September 12, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  6. Mitch

Being a firefighter and knowing what it takes for rescue, I don't like the thought of the people staying home, and wanting to ride out the storm. I took my excavating company to help with the Katrina clean up on the south side of New Orleans, when you combine this, I feel that it is unfair to ask the people to put their lives at risk for rescue efforts. I am sorry for the peoples loss of homes and property but they are putting other peoples lives at stake.

Thanks Michigan Mitch