September 9th, 2008

From Gloria Steinem to Norah O'Donnell, misogyny and sexism are fine if the target (Palin) is on the Right

Julia Reed
wowOwow Contributor

Last week, I was a tad distracted by the hurricane hurtling my way, but I spent my evacuation going between coverage of the storm that was Gustav and the storm that was Sarah Palin (whose speech I watched upon my return to New Orleans at a Magazine Street bar, as we still had no electricity). Now that my power has been restored, the mess that was my yard has been cleaned up (I have the scars to prove it) and New Orleans is out of danger (for the moment), I feel as though I must put in my two cents regarding the response of the media to Sarah Palin, including that of some of my fellow wOwers.

First, let me say that I was appalled by it generally, but I’ll try to dismantle the reaction piece by piece. First, there is the stunning double standard. In an op-ed piece in the Los Angeles Times, Gloria Steinem refers to the “ridicule and misogyny” suffered by Hillary Clinton. Both those words could certainly apply to what Sarah Palin went through last week. Blogs accused her of faking her own pregnancy with a Down syndrome child to cover up for her daughter. Mainstream journalists — female mainstream journalists — like Norah O’Donnell questioned whether a mother of five could effectively function as vice president. More piled on about her irresponsibility in accepting the nomination with five children, including one with special needs. Alan Colmes suggested on his blog that her airplane travel had possibly contributed to the fact that her child was born with Down syndrome.

It went on and on and on. Where was the feminist outcry? Plenty of Republican women were sickened over the treatment of Hillary Clinton (hell, even I cried at the video that introduced her convention speech), but there has been no reaching across party lines to defend Palin. Not even when Martin Peretz dismissed and demeaned her by saying, “I give [Palin] her due: she is pretty like a cosmetics saleswoman at Macy’s.” If he had said that about someone who agrees with them on the issues, Steinem et al would have gone crazy.

And therein lies the real truth. All the opiners who called the choice “insulting” (including my friend Sally Quinn before her about-face) really meant that it was not a choice that they would have made; she is not a woman who thinks or votes like them, she is pro-life, not pro-choice. (I too am pro-choice, but I respect the choices of other people — especially one, like Palin, who walks her talk.) Apparently only those women are worthy of defending. When so many of the most vocal critics weighed in by calling Palin a “cynical” choice, I had to ask myself, “Who is really being cynical here?”

Keep reading...

Filed under: Raw Politics • Sarah Palin • Women's Issues
  1. Gary Chandler in Canada

Americans are NUTS! Kerry was a woman? What Bush did to Joanne McCain in their primary was honorable man to man combat???
    Why can NOT women get the same treatment Doled out to men.
    Dukakis – (female?)

September 9, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  2. Rudy

For the life of me I can't understand why Dems have to be careful or delicate in the way they question Ms. Paylin. She's a politician like everyone else subject to the same degree of scrutinity. And from the way she spouts off she has NO problem attacking the Obama team. I think its the same dynamic in politics that we see in society where the divorce rate is through the roof because a lot of women want to be equal to men, but if things don't go their way or they facr adversity, then they just poor defenseless women. I say this without rancor, just an observation.

September 9, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  3. melissa Ohio

I live in ruel Ohio, I dont know where the polls are getting there info,but I can tell you, none of the women I have talked to can stand Palin! All the women around me,see her as a lip smacking, double talking puppet.

September 9, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  4. Portia A. English

Sarah Palin must be crazy to think she can be VP of this country. She is not on the level of Obama. McCain is a Bush politician and so is Palin. She is no phenom and I see the continued downfall of this country. If citizens of this country, men and women, are as dumb as McCain and Palin think we are, then they will support a governor over a Senator. America is still a prejudiced country;afraid of having an African-American in the running for President. God only knows why, do you?

September 9, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  5. Christine

I am a woman who feels most women are jealous of Sarah Palin. Women would have torn Hillary down had she won the nomination. Women can not be happy for another womans success.

I am pro-choice (not to be used, as some women do, as a form of birth control). Guns? Not for me, but others its their right. Hunting? Also not for me, but I see the need.

I really think we as American people should just listen and then judge. Not on voice, just on message. Listen!

Obama/Biden not what we need, at this time. Biden? Never what we need.

September 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  6. J

It is a sad commentary on our society and as a woman, how anyone can compare Palin's 3 minutes of fame (20 months Governor of small state, etc.) with that of Hillary Clinton(30+ years of experience) and her 18 million votes! I too, hold a B.A., M.A.+, studied overseas, bilingual, have 2 children (one is adopted), but still believe in the right to choose. . . to choose healthcare, get out of Iraq, create jobs, more education and save the environment. I am "Pro-Choice" and I choose Obama/Biden! God Bless America!

September 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Felix

When rural voters reject Obama it is because they do not "know him", not "racism"; when men reject Palin it is because they are "sexist" not "because she is unable to connect with non-republican men".

September 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. john raztis

Mccain ONLY got Palin so he could do exactly what he is doing.... Pull the sexism card everytime obamas camp sais ANYTHING... "lipstick on a pig"...sexism... "stem cell research" sexism. they are just smearing cause they cant win.

September 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Cocomo

Now more than ever the public is looking to the press for fairness and honesty. The other day Palin said Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac was getting too expensive for taxpayers. Clearly this women has no basic understanding of the economy. If Obama or Biden made these insane comments, the press would have made a mockery out of him. It seems that McCain campaign has a stronghold on the news media. Many of my friends have already decided not watch her interview with abc because Charlie Gibson will probably have his questions given to him by the McCain campaign. We need honest reporting. We do not know her or what she stands for and this why McCain chose her.

September 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  10. ALICE

when is macain goung to speak apecifics about his plan for this country that his theme use to be country firdt, until he stoled obamas theme,of change, i say let tjose middle income people vote for him they can kiss there union memberships good=bye, he's anti-union WAKE UP SMALL TOWN AMERICA, YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU PUT THIS CONSERVATIVE THINKING CANDIDATE IN THE WHIT HOUSE

September 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Sandy

I don't understand why there is such an uproar about Sarah Palin changing her mind on the "road to nowhere". Quote "when I was a child I thought like a child" is very true. AS we get more experience in anything we can change our minds about it. As she got more information on the road and the process she changed her mind. I know how that goes. When I was younger I was a Democrat then I found out what the Democratic platform said and what the Republican platform said and so as I grew up I became a Republican.

September 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. ACK

While I respect Palin's ability to balance life/work, this is still not enough reason to vote for her as some have suggested. I'm a christian woman and I don't think that's a qualification for a job and I certainly won't vote for someone just because they're christian.
    Next time I go for a job interview, I'm pretty sure that bringing someone else with me to answer questions, is going to land me the job. I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say on her own, unscripted.

September 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Mimi

It is a very sorry state to see that we Americans are approving people based on looks! The very fact that a McCain/Palin win will be a repetition of the Bush administration has not sunk in at all..and I am worried! I love our democratic process but imagine voting a totally unknown woman as a VP is a shame and scary for the country's future.

In all the melodrama, we seem to have forgotten the job losses to foreign countries, foreclosures of millions of homes, job losses, medical and insurance fiascos, losses of innocent lives in a totally unnecessary war.....If this state of affair continues, then all I can say is 'We deserve it' and can continue seeing our superpower status diminish as it has been the past few years.

WAKE UP PEOPLE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!! I can understand the rich Republicans backing them but what about the rest? Are we so shallow that we get taken in by a pretty face and are willing to udnergo 4 more years of misery??? Can't believe we can be that STUPID!!!

September 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Lisa

Sarah Palin doesn't represent the American Woman. She is being used as a prop by the republican camp. I heard today on MPR she's giving an interview and it's being done over 2 days. She basically is going to have a republican "aide" telling her what to say. It's bogus. I am not a feminist, I have been a working mom all my life because I have to. She will do nothing for me or those of you like me nor will John McCain. I believe in God and Jesus Christ but I don't believe in religion- They all scare me. If she is going national she had better be able to handle sexist remarks, be able to answer hards questions and answer them on the fly because running the United States is far different then running Alaska. Why does she get to embellish her few accomplishments as governor? I was fed up with her once I heard her daughter was pregnant. I know we all have our own family issues but I think her family has baggage than we Americans need to deal with.

September 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Gabe

The GOP continues to run a propaganda filled campaigns of lies and the media is afraid to report the fact. The fact of the matter is Gov Palin is not a reformer and she is telling lies about the bridge to nowhere. This election is turning to 2000 and 2004 in which the Democrats allow the Republicans to spread rumors and lies and scare the media and the American people. Senator Obama needs to be on the offensive at all times by continuing to spread his message of hope and change.

It is a shame that Senator Mccain has stolen Obama's message of change and it is time for him to take it back.

My last point is we all love America and our love for America should drive us to make sure that we report the facts and don't be afraid to question propagandas.

September 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  16. Jolene

Julia:
    I agree with you on most of your points, especially the point that the women screaming the loudest about Palin would never vote the McCain/Palin ticket anyways. If they are so confident in their beliefs, views, and choice of Obama as a candidate, why be so vocal and in some cases downright offensive about Palin? There is always going to be two opposing sides to every issue. I really don’t want to see women yelling at each other over what I basically see as age old Pro Life / Pro Choice debate. While watching CNN’s Late Edition on Sunday, I about fell off my chair listening to Sally Quinn. To say that a woman can’t raise a family and hold a high level office is not for her to judge. On the other hand, to say that men are not capable of taking care of a child or a family is simply absurd too.

It appears to me that this election year is dividing us as a nation more than ever. Time will tell on whether that is a good thing or not.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  17. MW Georgia

Bill Mahars said it all on Wolfz Bliztzer today and my sentiments exzactly. It is just amazing that a lot of Americans are that gullible. If Sarah Palin wants to act and talk like a man then treat her like one with balls. I wil not vote for someone just because McSame pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

September 9, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse NY

Why do you think Rush Limbaugh calls feminists femi-nazis? There's a myth perpetuated by liberals that they are the party of inclusion and the party of diversity. That's true unless you happen to be right of center. Look at how they treat Lieberman, who except for Iraq has voted the party line. The comments about Pain have been disgusting. Where is NOW? Nowhere to be seen. As far as I'm concerned, the feminist cause is dead and buried.

September 9, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  19. Linda

Sarah Pallin is not qualified to be one step from the presidency. This is the issue. The sexism charges are being driven by Republicans. There is a double standard for women. We can't question their qualifications without the sexism card being played. This is laughable. If Sarah Pallin is so qualified why can't she be interviewed by the media? Why does she need to be coached and tutored first? If we are talking about being fair, I think this hardly qualifies.

September 9, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  20. Mrs. Texas Teacher

I burned my bra right along with the rest of the women in the 60's! I could care less about Sarah Palin. The facts are that she is a self professed Pit Bull Dog with Lipstick! What I see is Bush/Cheney/McCain all rolled into one.... In a Skirt AND with Lipstick. She is playing with the BIG DOGS now and it is clear that she plays just like the Republican Big Dogs.

As one of the BIG DOGS, Palin has opened herself to the same scrutiny as the rest! Democrats should take off the kid gloves and fight the whole Republican Camp. They are merely offering four more years of the same old Bush/Cheney Policies.

Stop being fooled by the cancan show/Palin, the 3 ring circus (Bush/Cheney/McCain), and start jumping on the issues again, Democrats. Don't let the Republican Camp distract you with the SIDESHOW. They have NOT changed anything, but the SONG and DANCE routine!

What I care about is TRUE CHANGE .... that is Obama/Biden.

September 9, 2008 at 9:33 pm |
  21. Liz

We have known her for only two weeks and she represents
    for you so much? Silly. Silly.

September 9, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  22. Gail

As a feminist, I AM sad...to see other feminists go against everything we have fought for so long. But we aren't rrelevant. Don't kid yourself. Without the very women who today have disappointed me, Sarah Palin would not be where she is.

That said..I may not agree on many issues with Governor Palin, but I respect VERY much what she brings. I am so disturbed with the Obama camp and the media that I may even vote for McCain and Palin. Nothing more frightens those in power than a woman with power.

And finally, as hypocritical as it is for feminists, my ilk even, to DO to Governor Palin what they decried being done to Senator Clinton, it is EQUALLY hypocritical to shout foul only NOW...when it is YOUR candidate. It was equally foul when being done to Hillary Clinton...whether you agreed with HER or not.

September 9, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  23. Liz

Sarah Palin is a puppet reading speeches given to her and
    cannot talk unscripted. So...Who is the puppetmaster?

The sexism talk is being driven by the Republicans and
    I'm sure they hope it does not stop until sometime
    after November!

The world laughs at us and having this
    person who happens to be a woman as a VP makes us look weak in a dangerous world. Silly people- you'd think we were in high school- this is our children and world we are talking about. Higher powers people! Think outside of yourself. Look to the light.

September 9, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  24. Diane

Oh, please. My heart is breaking. This woman is no Hilary Clinton, and why everyone is so excited about her is beyond me. John McCain may not have looked at her record, but I have and it ain't pretty. Take away her good looks and they would run the Maverik out of Dodge.
    There were too many really great republican females who would have made this a dream ticket, but this is a train wreck waiting to happen on all fronts.

September 9, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  25. Tracy

Liberal women will never back Palin unless she is totally transparent. She is not in the same atmosphere as Hillary so stop trying to compare. She couldn't hold a candle up to Hillary if she tried. Her tough talk is nothing but well scripted politics. Let the debates begin! She needs to start interviewing with different news shows so we can see her fold under pressure. I am sure it will show that she is a true hillbilly to the heart. The Republican'ts need to stop protecting her and give her up to the wolves to see if she has the tough skin she says she has! ALL TALK NO ACTION!! PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!

September 9, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  26. Leslie from OHio

Okay, where do I start, first I am so tired of the exploitation women. The McCain camp only chose Palin out of desperation...Because she is a woman...I seen a video were Palin is sitting in a chair laughing and asking would somebody please tell her what a VP does? This is very scary America. We are talking about millions of lives in America that will be in the hands of a very aged Senator. Do we want some one like that even in second place? She is being stuck in front of a script with jokes at the equivalence of Saturday Night Live, while families are loosing jobs, houses and hope in this Country. The Republican Campaign is hiding here from the media, so she does not have answer "required" questions of her. Because they know she is not ready. This is a selfish act on McCain part. Country First. is his Campaign slogan. well making this sloppy selection of a chose, only let's me believe that the slogan should read McCain First! Oh by the way I hope woman white or black are not that stupid?????????

September 9, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  27. lynn

Palin and the McCain campaign are using the sex card to their advantage....Palin can say anything she wants, can refuse to answer questions and can lie over and over again. Someone questions her and they go ballistic.

They brought her into the race so late and she is going to do a softball interview while refusing to speak to the press. She is allowed to have her views on everything but a woman says she thinks she should be with her children and all of a sudden it's sexist. There is a blurring line between sexism and opinion. For example, I think it is sexist that Palin believes that a woman is unable to face her circumstances and her faith and decide on an abortion. Palin is sexist to state that this woman does not have that right.

September 9, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  28. Jacques Rutzky

Has Sarah Palin gone to college? What is her education background?

September 9, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  29. christina Dennis

There has never been a VicePresidential nominee who has banned
    reporters from their plane and refused to take questions from the media
    (until a well scripted, approved interview).

Wake up, People – this isn't a candidate – this is a puppet.

Sarah Palin is not a step forward for women. Don't kid yourselves,
    this is a step backwards and a step towards the recall of Roe v Wade.
    This is not a personality contest, it doesn't matter whether we like
    her or not ...this is about ISSUES. I am sick of hearing about
    personalities and personal attacks –until a candidate wants to talk
    about the issues –any candidate –they should be denied all media
    coverage.

September 9, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  30. Annie Kate

I hadn't paid much attention to the less than charitable responses to Palin that the article addresses; most of what I heard was her environmental bias, her sarcastic speech at the RNC, and the concerns over whether she would really be able to step into the President's position if need be. I'm not a Palin fan – I dislike her stands on the environment tremendously, but it is the viewpoint I dislike – not her personally.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 9, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  31. L.A. Rohrer

Just because Palin has the same gynecological map as I do, doesn't mean she represents my views, not just as a woman, but as an American citizen. Nor did Hilary, for that matter, on many issues. Being female just doesn't suddenly make you right.
    With the "new" star of Palin, too many people are losing sight of who exactly will be sitting in the oval office, John S. McCain. He will be either Bush-lite or a Bush-clone anything but a change agent (except for changing his address from Sedona, AZ, to Pennsylvania Ave. if elected), but will continue the dismal Bush policies which have plunged us into this Iraqi quagmire (surge or no surge "success"), looked the other way as Fannie and Freddie burned the candle at both ends, created a national debt that our grandchildren's grandchildren may be repaying, played into oil companies favorite mantra (drill, baby, drill) as their centerpiece of ending oil dependence, leave our "fundamentally sound" economy to flounder because it seems economy is not his strong suit.
    As for Sarah Palin, during her acceptance speech, she touted how she beat the "old boys club" of politics in her state, but who does she think picked her? ..... The "old boys club" of the McCain campaign. And if she (or anyone else) thinks their first thought or response to her was about her great policies or record as governor.........yeah, right! More like....hubba, hubba (what old boys say), and THEN looked into her record. I found the republican campaign buttons VERY sexist and offensive, hottest chick/VP. We aren't looking to elect the next Washington, D.C. pin-up. In addition, I was also very puzzled by her assertion and wink that she will be an advocate for families facing the challenges of disabled children, if elected. Wasn't she an advocate/friend before falling into the national scene or before having a child w/ disabilities?
    Let's find out more about Gov. Palin before assigning her the savior status.

September 9, 2008 at 8:25 pm |
  32. Ty

It appears to me that since the GOP made the charge against the media, there has been a deafening silence from the media regarding Sarah Palin.

The GOP game plan over the years has been to avoid serious debate about a serious issue by stirring up fear and hate.

Where is the outrage about Mrs. Palin not talking to the media? Don't the people of America need to know what she has to say without a scrip?

September 9, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  33. J. Knipple

Puh-leez! Every small town in America has a Sarah Palin. You know, the one who is a looker, who seems to have some power no one else has (though in her case it is a dark power), who seems always to be in the nick of time to take credit for something everyone else did the work on, the one who waits to see which way the wind is blowing before making a statement on TV? This is no goddess – her every choice, thought, direction is decided by what will bring her the accolades she so desires. It is so surreal that Sarah Palin could have landed on the ballot for republican (lower case intended) VP. Someone pinch me, I'm in the middle of a nightmare and I can't wake up. When I go to vote I'm going to at least know I am voting for the lesser liar – yes, they all lie. That's the best I can hope for since the veil was pulled from my eyes and I realized politics will never be fully based on truth. So there, that's my opinion and my plea- please no more Sarah worship!

September 9, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  34. Sandra

People have asked are "Americans that supid". It is sad to say but I think was are. For one, we voted for Bush twice and now we are letting McCain and Palin sway use from the important issues. The media is tip toeing around her, for what, every candidate goes through this scrutiny. What makes her so different? because she's a women? She goes from State to State repeating the some speech over and over again from the Republican Convention. No one knows what she stands for as far as national and international policies. If she is really passionate in what she supports and believes in, why is she not facing the the people she may on day represent, which are all Americans. She is portraying herself as a"Maverick". What independent stance is she taking? Or is she like a cattle without a brand.

September 9, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  35. Mara

I'm a feminist who questions Palin's ability to combine the VP job with meeting the needs of her family, and I see no double standard in this. Have we become so shallow that we can no longer discern the differences between one child and five, or grown children and very young children, or the job of Governor of Alaska (pop. way less than a million) and Vice President of the United States?
    Palin herself brings this to the fore with her emphasis on values and family credentials. She touts her experience as "soccer mom" and "PTA member," so it's very fair game to wonder whether her own stated emphasis on her family can be reconciled with the enormous job she would face in Washington.
    Good for the Governor if she was able to handle Alaska and meet the needs of her family (if, in fact, she was able to do that.) But five kids and two infants (including her grandchild) and the demands of the VP job, or–heaven forbid–the Presidency? I'm not alone in thinking she is either delusional or so overly ambitious that she has no idea of what she would face.
    Get real!

September 9, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  36. Sharon Wright

Firstly Anderson, I am no mysogynist and frankly when I first saw Palin in a small article about a year ago I wondered why, with her looks, we hadn't seen her before. Now that I've listened to the woman I just want her to go away! That voice! And she speaks in tongues??? She is a member of an evangelical splinter group known for completely absurd beliefs. And the run she took at Obama the second she hit the podium has left me limp. I honestly don't think she needs anyone in her corner, including you. She's tough enough to make it to the White House on her own, and I suspect it will be over John McCain's body.

September 9, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  37. John Smith

Right on Julia…the cynicism is beyond the pale! You know, two semesters ago we had Gloria Steinem come out to speak at our college campus. She is supposed to be this towering figure of feminism. But yet, Steinem and others have stood idlely by while the media and special interest have waged a campaign to besmirch and destroy Sarah Palin. The amount of sexist language and undertone injected in the media coverage of Sarah Palin would be something that if Pail was a leftist, feminist across the country would be outraged. And there is a double-standard here and that double-standard is that if you’re not a liberal woman than you’re not worthy of being defended by the feminist movement. I mean, how dare Sarah Palin think for herself and is pro-life and oppose to pro-choice? I think many networks across the country should be fined and even lose their licenses for the liberal bias (including CNN) in their coverage of Sarah Palin.

September 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  38. JC- Los Angeles

Gloria Steinem and her ilk have become so irrelevant in modern society that it's surprising to actually hear their name mentioned or read that they are still among the living.

I always find it hilarious when pseudo-celebrities wax poetic about their Democratic collegues then rush to the polls to vote Republican when someone like Arnold is on the ticket.

People like Steinem are representative of why our country is a mess; people who will say whatever is required at a certain times to advance political agendas; please go away.

September 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  39. Heather

I think(and I could be wrong) that the reason why many women both working moms and not have reacted the way they did is because we as a country have never had a female vp candidate with this many children spanning so many ages including a new born baby. I totally admit I like many others said how is she going do it. But then several days later I said hey she is doing it right now. Palin is the Gov of Alaska. She and her husband have been doing just fine. The only thing that would change would be her residence and her job title and duties. If women want to be treated fairly with the same access to opportunities and wages,and respect for our abilities and talents then we have to treat each other properly regardless of that persons political views. If Palin had decided not to accept McCain's offer we wouldn't be having this discussion. All women regarless of politics should know that as long as they have the skills,talents,abilities and experience needed that they have the right to make any career choice even if they have five children. I know I have no right to judge Palin in any way except on her political views. What parenting decisions she has made are between her and her husband not me.

September 9, 2008 at 7:41 pm |
  40. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Finally, a woman who will call a spade a spade. The "feminist" babble I read against Sarah Palin is embarrassing to me as a Republican woman. I am pro-life; earned a BA, MEd, and PhD all before age 30; am a godmother of three girls aged 4, 12, and 15; am pro-gun (and joining the NRA because it's time to take a stand against the liberal anti-gun loons); believe in God and prayer; am fiscally conservative and pro-industry; believe a woman should be able to own corporate America or run a nation or stand by her man and babies or all of the above if she chooses; and think these women are just pissed off because the anti-thesis of left-winged feminism beat them to a VP ticket spot in this decade. Sarah Palin makes them question everything they did. She does have it all, she didn't have to abort a kid to get it, she stands her ground and beats them at their own game without playing theirs, and here she is votes away from being #2 in the nation. Liberal feminism isn't all it's cracked up to be apparently. I never believed it was. And what this race has proven is that many feminists are nothing but pure witches who need to remember that just because a woman doesn't fit their cookie cutter image doesn't mean she isn't powerful and worthy in her own right of every good thing women have worked to achieve. Besides that, Sarah Palin should only be questioned when Barack Obama's ability to be a good father to his young girls and be president comes under just as much scrutiny. The last time I checked most real daddies were equal parenting partners, and their jobs had to be balanced with their family duties just like that of their partners. What's good for the woman VP candidate is good for the male presidential candidtate. Or has the liberal left feminist movement forgotten what they fought for all along?

September 9, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  41. nate

There is a real double standard when it comes to women candidates for an executive branch which stems from the so called "feminist" movement. On the one hand, you have an image of a radical female candidate who has to adopt so called male appearances like pant suits, etc and who thinks only in terms of policies in a vacuum sense. For example, overturning roe v wade would be a disaster for women because women need the ability to choose an abortion if they need to regardless of the circumstances. This assumes that all women don't mind abortion. On the other hand, you have qualified female candidates like Sarah Palin who has demonstrated personal courage, made tough moral decisions both personally and professionally, and shows an authentic feminine appearance. Hopefully, these critics can open their eyes to realize and see Sarah Palin for the hero that she truly is!

September 9, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  42. Cindy

Isn't it funny how all of these liberal feminist jumped up and cried foul when it came to how Hillary was treated yet sit back and say nothing in defense of Palin. The truth is both Hillary and Palin were and are being treated wrong. These women have shown that they only care for their own and not all women as they claim!

But really I could care less what these leftist thinking supposed feminist think. They should crawl back under the rock that they came out from under.

Sexism is very much alive and well in the media these days! CNN included I must add!

Cindy...Ga.

September 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  43. Arachnae

Well that's just bone-deep ignorance.

But why do you find this surprising? It would have been significantly more surprising if Palin had NOT been met with the same misogynistic reaction that Clinton received.

Or is her treatment somehow worse because she's a Republican, or a mother, or Alaskan, or something?

September 9, 2008 at 7:16 pm |