September 2nd, 2008

Mr. Herbert Gettridge

Kay Jones
AC360° Editorial Producer

A lot of you have been asking how Mr. Herbert Gettridge is.

I stopped by his house on Monday afternoon, and nobody was home, understandably. But the house was there with no water around it.

Also, cell phone service was down most of the day, and my calls to him still aren't getting through.
Our entire staff is wondering how he is, so I have made it my mission to find out. Will let you know when I do.

Filed under: Hurricane Gustav • Hurricane Katrina • Kay Jones
  1. Annie Kate

Its great that his house is still standing and there is no water. Hopefully he and his wife will get to come home soon and its a relief to know they have the home to come back to. Thanks so much for checking up on this and please do let us know when you find him and how he is.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Dad

That's my girl.

September 2, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  3. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Helo Kay,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting about the Gettridge's. Guess you realize that a lot of us fell in love with them long ago and we worry for their safety. After all that dear man went through to rebulid his home, I am thrilled to hear that is it ok and that they got out and are safe.

And to Gary whom I asked about this. THANKS to you too!

Hope you guys are able to dry out and catch up on your rest after the excellent coverage you provided. Needless to say you all deserve many kudos for the work that you do. You guys are the best example of a news organization EVER.

September 2, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  4. Vicki, Long Island, NY

Kay:

Thank you very much for checking up on Mr. Gettridge. So many people’s lives and their special stories that we learned about after Katrina are still part of my live. They have become part of my American family. I was worried about him and his wife all day yesterday as I watch the hurricane slam into the Gulf region; and hoped eventually he would be mentioned. So, thank you. And we hope and pray everyone is safe.

Thanks to all the hard work CNN did keeping us informed about Hurricane Gustav and never giving up on the "officials" to do their job. Maybe they go it right this time. A great job to all!

Vicki

September 2, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  5. Renee

Thanks for the update about Mr. and Mrs. Getridge. Husband and I just liked him so much on the show and were so curious about his well being. He had so many qualities that made him special and unique. Thanks Kay for caring about people!

September 2, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  6. deborah, OH

Thank you for posting Kay Jones. Was wondering about Mr. Gettridge this AM. Please let us know what you find out. Hope all is well with him!

September 2, 2008 at 11:16 am |
  7. Julie San Diego, CA

Best wishes to Herbert and his Old Lady. What a wonderful guy. So sweet to think he was working so hard to make a habitible home so his wife could join him.

September 2, 2008 at 11:06 am |
  8. Cindy

Glad to see that you all did go and check up on Mr. Getridge. I am glad that he decided to evacuate and that his house was unharmed. Hope that you find him soon and give us an update.

Cindy...Ga.

September 2, 2008 at 11:04 am |
  9. Maureen O. Cali

Thank you Kay Jones, for letting us know how Mr. Herbert Gettridge is doing. I hope you can find out where he is and how him and his wife are doing. I pray that everything is fine with both of them. Thanks again to everyone at CNN for the great coverage of Gustav. You guys are the Best!

September 2, 2008 at 10:57 am |