August 31st, 2008

The NOPD, staying on duty during Gustav

Maj. Bob Bardy, NOPD

Maj. Bob Bardy, NOPD

Jim Spellman
CNN Producer

The 6th Police District of New Orleans is home to about 30 thousand people. On an hour long ride along with the NOPD tonight I counted seven. The streets are deserted.

“It’s a little eerie” says Maj. Bob Bardy, the top cop in the 6th district.” I think people have learned their lessons”

The 6th district begins at the Mississippi river and covers the opulent garden district all through housing projects near Martin Luther King Ave. where the police station sits amongst dilapidated wooden houses, some still damaged from Katrina.

Rich or poor, everyone seems to have gotten the message to get out of town. Bardy says they are ready to keep whomever stays behind safe. As of 7pm all NOPD are on duty until after the storm. When winds pick up to 55mph, probably around midnight most of the cops for the 6th district will head over to the convention center for the night.

A skeleton crew will stay at the station house. As soon as the winds die down they plan to be back on the street. First mission will be search and rescue, if that’s not needed they’ll be locking up any looters.
“Nobody was really ready for what we got in Katrina“ He says as we ride down empty streets “But now we have a plan. Now we have a course of action.”

Filed under: Hurricane Gustav
  1. Annie Kate

I admire the NOPD for staying to help those who didn't leave and to keep the city safe from looters after the storm has passed. I just hope there aren't any looters to round up – that they will have left with everyone else. For the top cop to say they have a plan this time is encouraging. Hopefully the government (on all levels) will be responsive this time.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

September 1, 2008 at 8:25 am |
  2. Larry Robinson

Moderator: can you change "returned" in my first twit to "return" (to their...)

September 1, 2008 at 6:28 am |
  3. Larry Robinson

Law officials deserve better. And I pray–deeply– that all of them returned unharmed to their families and friends. What courage, sacrifice, dedication, and discipline they must have; so get 'em some cots and food!

September 1, 2008 at 6:25 am |
  4. Walt

My prayers and best wishes are with the family's of everybody in the affected areas. I worked all over Louisiana last year for about 50 to 60 days to help rebuild and get everything back to or close to how things were before Katrina. Let's hope that Gustav moves over the Gulf Coast with minor damage.

September 1, 2008 at 3:08 am |
  5. Lois Chubb

I am praying for all the people on the Guld Coast and all the police and others that are staying to keep order in this dangerous times. Be safe a d God Bless and stay safe, Lois Chubb Prattville,Al.

September 1, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  6. Jane

I watched your coverage of hurricane Katrina almost non-stop three years ago, Anderson. I thought you did a great job! Please do not allow your coverage this year to become a whitewash job for our present administration. Please keep your eye on the donations as so much money disappeared from the Katrina disaster relief funding last time. And please do not make heroes out of politicians who may try to capitalize on this disaster. I personally think McCain is more than happy to postpone or eliminate his convention for more than altruistic reasons.
    I also question religious groups who are more than willing to provide aid to black victims of a hurricane and yet would never allow a black man to become president.

September 1, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  7. Brandon kcmo

My prayers go out to every one I'm sorry this is happening again I hope its not as bad as katrina

August 31, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  8. KUNTA-KINTE'

my bro' and i will be there to help...

August 31, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  9. lois

my husband and i are ministers and we are continuasly praying for youall.

August 31, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  10. anita

Shawn,
    the road to Baton Rouge was pretty much empty – no room at those inns – and was supposed to be pummelled. The road going north were packed. I headed to BR, naturally...at a hotel here, and it just started raining. Should not be as bad as originally thought, whew! thank goodness!

August 31, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  11. Ben

God Bless You All

August 31, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  12. jayne

I'm sure the NOPD and NOFD dispatchers are still on duty, too. Does anyone know where they're dispatching out of? Still somewhere in NOLA, or another location?

August 31, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  13. Mike

Ive been to NO many times, I love the city. But it always was a little disturbing to me as I sat at a cafe in the french quarter and watched freighters pass above me on the Miss or that cemetaries were built up 8 feet so you could be buried 6 feet under?

Billions have been spent trying to harness and control the Mississippi. One of the largest rivers in the world. As a geologist who sees the world in millions of years and not days I can say without fear of contadiction the river will win!! Gustav is just a punctuation point.

We need to spend our time, effort, resources and money adapting to nature rather than trying to control it. Global warming ....hmmmmm.

If we continue to let our eco-ego define our approach the results will be dissapointing. I wish the very best to the people of NO and surrounding areas and.........MOVE/

August 31, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  14. PATTI SCOTT

i hope they keep there word and send any and all looters to angola as we have a time share there and love the city but it costs us as they set fires and looted and we had to pay extra and they steal things that was not staples such as food to survive and damage the beauty that the storm did not do was so sad stealing just to be stealing and taking food to feed your family is different setting firers to cover a crime is crazy bless one and all and stay safe and God Bless America AND MAY YOU ALL RETURN HOME TO LITTLE OR NO DAMAGE how braveandloving for all the medical! !fire! news! police! and service men and women !!!!!!! to stay behind its show the world what AMERICA is made of !!!!when the going gets tough the tough get going!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  15. nelda s. may

My prayers to all areas and persons affected by this hurricane and especially to those who are there to offer assistance and protection.

August 31, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  16. k.hill

may god bless yall! and the people that stayed behind! my heart goes out to new orleans this is the second go around that is so sad i will pray for you all! and the ones that stayed behind please leave like they said, and go to higher grounds. god bless everyone that lives in the area or near new orleans!

August 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Zan, Toronto Canada

TLH of course I am tracking it there too, but they are way behind. Their latest projections are as of 7pm.

August 31, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Jess

I'm from Cedar Rapids Iowa which was recently hit with the worst flood in recorded history. As I watch the Gustav coverage I feel for the people of the gulf coast in a way I couldn't when Katrina went through. Now I know how surreal it is to be a part of evacuations, trying to secure your businesses and homes, losing power for days, watching the rain fall and the water rise, not knowing if your house will still be there when it finally recedes. The exhaustion and helplessness you feel in the face of it all. And all of that is just the beginning: the real challenge is the YEARS it takes trying to put your city back together and the struggle to keep life going even while so much is broken.

My prayers and thoughts are with those in the Gulf Coast.

August 31, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  19. TLH in Orlando

Zan: go to noaa.gov and have a look there. That's the site of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

August 31, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  20. M Luttrell

Gracious, Mr. Cooper. Don't you ever sleep! Safety to you and yours and blessed be.

August 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  21. D. Lowery

If you are really "fair and balanced," why don't you show Senator McCain's non-partisan speech that he made Sunday, Aug. 31st at 4 pm? This is worthy of being shown again to all Americans. In my opinion, he is backing up his words by taking action, i.e., only handling the business part of the GOP convention, raising money for the people of New Orleans, and putting politics aside for the greater good.

Thanks,
    D. Lowery

August 31, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Susan, Seattle

Stay safe, Anderson.
    Be careful out there.

August 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. NOLA-res

We should all be so grateful to the NOPD and the National Guard!!!!

August 31, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. shawn branscum

I am from new orleans and I evacuated Friday with my wife; we know that contraflow began at 4am this morning but it seems like all the traffic is on one side of the interstate and the the other side is empty. Why is that?

August 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Heather,ca

They are the heroes to me. They sacrifice their safety to ensure the safety and security of a town. They are trully selfless and should be proud of themselves. I hope this time with their plan in action that they have all they need to do their job.

August 31, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Mary Dowling

If everyone is getting out, when do you and the news crew evacuate and/or where will you stay during the hurricane.

August 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Zan, Toronto Canada

Anderson,

According to my calculations, the storm is turning right and will hit Alabama and Misissippi and the pan handle of Florida, with the brunt of it falling in Mississippi.

Could you have your people check the latest direction? It is changing.

August 31, 2008 at 10:08 pm |