August 27th, 2008

The CNN Grill's best ambassador

TNT Analyst Charles Barkley and Anderson Cooper shake hands at the CNN Grill in Denver, Co.

Kay Jones
AC360° Editorial Producer

It only takes one person to get the CNN Grill hopping here at the Dem convention, and yesterday that person was TNT Analyst Charles Barkley. He was a guest on several CNN shows, even playing with John King's magic map at one point.

But Barkley spent the most of his time in the CNN Grill, holding court with the likes of former New Orleans Mayor and President of the National Urban League Marc Morial, as well as actress Charlize Theron and actor Stuart Townsend.

As the night progressed, so did the crowds in the Grill thanks to the Pepsi Center being so packed that it stopped allowing people in. During Sen. Hillary Clinton's speech, the entire Grill fell silent as they watched her talk. But as soon as she ended, it hopped back to life. And so did Barkley.

He made his rounds, sitting at a booth with famed gossip columnist Cindy Adams and frequent 360 guest Robert Zimmerman, a Democratic National Committee member and Hillary Clinton fundraiser. Then I saw Barkley sitting next to actress Ashley Judd.

Also spotted in the Grill: Army Wives' Sally Pressman and Brigid Brannagh. Sally was most impressed with the "decorate your own" cupcakes that were being served, and thankful we have the CNN Grill, since she was one of the unfortunate ones shut out of seeing Sen. Clinton in person.

After CNN's coverage wound down, Anderson came back over and ran into Theron and Townsend on the outdoor patio. While he was chatting away, Wolf Blitzer was inside having a converstation with.... You guessed it: Charles Barkley.

See ya from the Grill later today!

1. Don, WA

I was in earlier at "The CNN Grill" for a blogger burger and a Pepsi, and a "GOBAMA!I" I don't want to over stay my welcome...but...I just saw the Joe speech...and I'll have some apple pie and a hucklelberry milkshake too...GOBAMA!...GOBIDEN!

August 27, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Don, WA

Oh..sorry...in my last blog I meant to say I wanted a "Pepsi-Cola".

August 27, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  3. Don, WA

Just watched the Bill speech and thought I'd grab a blogger burger at the grill (wish I was there personally – WOW – Charlize Theron and Ashley Judd in the coffee shop!). I just wanted to order a Coca-Cola and say Thank You Mr. and Mrs. Clinton – And now...GOBAMA!!

August 27, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  4. Audrey

dj, I think it's true that non-Americans are excited about Obama. This is the same excitement that Paris Hilton and Madonna generates in Europe and Asia. However, if there was such a thing as world leader, I think the "rest of the world" would end up selecting a person with experience and not just popularity.

August 27, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  5. dj

Isn't it ironic that Macain touts his foreign policy credentials when if you check around the world, most non Americans are rooting for Obama. I am sure if the rest of the world was included, Obama would win by a landslide. What is the rest of the world seeing that Amercans don't?

August 27, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  6. Stacy

@Mike–There will be celebrities at the RNC too.

August 27, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

John's magic board makes your fingers itch to go play with it if you are technologically inclined. John better watch that board carefully – someone else might try to adopt it and give it a good home!

The Grill sounds like its the place to be. Interesting people, good food and intelligent conversation. Nice combination.

Just a question – have you noticed all the different hats the delegates are wearing? Jessica Yellin interviewed a woman from GA. who did a hat for each convention she had been to. Her hat was really good – I've seen some other hats and some decorated shirts, etc. drifting by the camera from time to time and thought it would be interesting if someone did a photo gallery on the ones that really stand out. I know I would enjoy seeing it all because I know I'm just seeing a small fraction on the tv.

Have a good day!!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 27, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  8. Cindy

So if the big celebs are all there I guess that means you all are awaiting Obama's arrival then huh?

And what are Theron and Townsend doing there? They aren't even US citizens!? LOL I guess they just came to party!

Cindy...Ga.

August 27, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  9. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

How great all these celebrites come out for such an occasion to cast thier support and voting right .Or was it simply to try out for a chance to control John King's magic board!

Michelle

August 27, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  10. Nancy, Newark DE

I just called the election board in Delaware and I can write in the name of the candidate I think is best. Hillary!!!

August 27, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

Sure glad Obama's not a celebrity. Where was Madonna?

August 27, 2008 at 1:46 pm |