August 26th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Clinton Time

Sen. Hillary Clinton will be speaking tonight at the Democratic National Convention, another step at trying to unify the Democratic party.

Ted Fine
AC360° Sr. Producer

Good morning from Denver. Did you see Ted Kennedy's moment last night? I was in the hall when he walked on stage. The crowd roared as loud – or louder – than Avalanche fans for a goal on the Pepsi Center ice.

Here's a look at today's coming attractions with some from the CNN political staff's notes.

Tonight is the Clinton's night in Denver. Sen. Hillary Clinton is the star, another step in trying to unify the Democratic party. Another sign of the efforts to patch up any behind the scenes tension, a deal was struck on Wednesday's roll call. The agreement confirmed by CANDY CROWLEY will allow some votes to be cast for Clinton before a call for Obama to be nominated by acclimation. (Clinton herself may be the one to call for the voting to be cut short).

Republicans continue to play up the split with some Clinton supporters. It's day three of releasing an ad aimed at stirring up old Clinton/Obama rivalries. This time McCain uses Clinton's own 3 am ad, and some of her words, as part of his ad against Obamas readiness to be commander-in-chief. Last night, in a speech that focused on personal stories and values, Michelle Obama told the convention "the world as it is just won't do", promising her husband would bring "the change we need." Mrs. Obama, who faced questions during the primaries over comments she was really proud of the country for the first time, sought to put that to rest before her biggest audience. She said, "We have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be. That is the thread that connects our hearts. That is the thread that runs through my journey and Barack's journey and so many other improbable journeys that have brought us here tonight, where the current of history meets this new tide of hope. That is why I love this country. And in my own life, in my own small way, I've tried to give back to this country that has given me so much."

Barack Obama watched Michelle's speech on TV from Kansas City before making a satellite appearance before the convention. Hands cupped under his chin as he sat in a family's living room, Obama smiled as he watched Michelle Obama introduced on their television screen. Then playing into the family theme of the night, Obama interacted with his daughters, who said "Hi, Daddy" to the screen on stage next to their mother.

Today Obama visits an American Airlines overhaul base in Kansas City for an economic discussion.  He then heads to Billings, Montana, ahead of Wednesday events.

John McCain is back in his hometown Phoenix where he'll address veterans at the American Legion national convention. We'll see if McCain discusses his wife Cindy's trip to the Republic of Georgia any further in the speech. She's going there traveling with the UN World Food Program. She plans to meet with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili, and with soldiers injured in the fighting.

McCain had his own national television audience Monday night, appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. There were the usual jokes about his age (with his birthday coming up Friday, Leno said the fire marshal blocked his cake). On his running mate, McCain said "wouldn't it be good to have a person you don't know what party they're with, they have no political principles whatsoever, they may need a job about that time".

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Norma

What I'd like to hear more of is about taxes, student loans and social security. I am a 52 yld college student that will have a 40,000 dollar bill when I graduate. What makes me angry is as I sit in class I hear students from other countries laugh about free room, food and education and "I'm going home, I'm not staying here." That makes me very angry. Another thing that is puzzeling to me is why can't everyone pay taxes in this country? I go to another country I have to pay taxes and speak their language.

August 26, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  2. April

I agree that the first night was a loss. But the reason was all your egotistical talking heads that actually thought I wanted to hear you talk instead of listening to the speakers. You tuned out at least three. I was intently listening to Leach and had actually commented that this is a man of substance instead of just rhetoric. At that instant, you tuned him out and your commentators continued to insult the man. I would like to have had the opportunity to make my own decision. Yes, I could now go to your web site, but I already invested three hours listening to the T V to hear those very speeches. Unfortunately, I only heard the commentators.
    April

August 26, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  3. dennis butler

i believe clinton will try to steal the presidency from obama.her group will try to have a vote for the presidential campaign.american politician will lie to become elected there are no morals in american politics.

dennis butler.

August 26, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  4. Mary

Wow! this is certainly a diverse group of people who comment on this blog. I would just like to say that I am disappointed that anyone needs to be disrespectful of anyone else. We live in a country that needs us to be free to have different opinions. We have all come from different places. We all have grown up differently. I don't see why it is important that someone grew up wealthy or not. It is what they chose to do afterward. I think that anyone who puts themselves through the process of being a nominee for President of the United States deserves some respect as does his family.
    As for last night's show, being a producer perhaps you can shed some light on why the one gentleman was so disrespectful of Leach. He said it made no difference to him and that his speech was a waste of time. I consider myself to be an independent, it was important. If we are watching CNN and the DNC, we don't need someone to tell us whether a speaker is worth listening to or not.
    As for bias, or negativity. I think that your show and its anchors offers one of the least biased viewpoints available. The anchors seem to question more and hypothesize the least. Keep up the good work and I hope that the Democrats realize that some of the independents out there are not waiting for character assassinations, but for substance and plans of implementation of the wonderful ideas that were spoken of in the speeches last night. Go forward, please.

August 26, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  5. Tammy, Berwick, LA

To hemnebob, I'm not your "honey". Secondly, I was speaking about both parties spending too much (but of course a single-minded Republican hater would get defensive and think I was attacking the Dems). I don't recall a timetable for Cindy McCain's visit. But look at her history of charitable work overseas and look at Michelle Obama's (lots versus zilch). And a silver spoon isn't always an evil thing. It's what you do with your wealth that matters. Furthemore, Mrs. O may have been brought up in poor conditions, but that Ivy League education and her house bought through a scam deal sure do make her different than those living on public subsidies to survive. She's not an "average" American either. Ditto for her spouse.

August 26, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  6. Eugenia - San Francisco

msmith:
    If you believe in Karma the last place the Clintons will be in is the White House!

August 26, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  7. JT

Hillary is the real STAR!

Barak was Barry and now back to Barak who cares if he does not mention Hussein.

Barak has no experience must vote McCain.

August 26, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  8. mSmith

To Mindy and Ryan-

Right on!!!!

Didn't you know that Brazile, Martin and Gergen are really Republicans. They are paid to destroy the Democratic Party.

These three are equivalent to the snake that made Eve eat the apple. They are as evil as evil can get.

Don't worry, I believe in KARMA and their day will come...

Hillary 2012

August 26, 2008 at 12:36 pm |
  9. Susan Kaspersen

Did no one but me catch Caroline Kennedy's comment about wanting to be with the "best political team on television?" I thought she was great, and I would love to see her doing commentary, along side Donna Brazile, Wolf, Anderson, Suzanne, etc.

Please take her up on it!!!

August 26, 2008 at 12:15 pm |
  10. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

To Ryan –

Bravo! Well said! You echoed my sentiments and said it in a straightforward and honest manner. It's about time someone told you people at CNN to just back off the Hillary bashing. It really is unseemly. After all, she lost. So what's your problem? You are just putting salt in the wounds of those who voted for Hillary. It's not her responsibility to get her people to vote for Obama, although I know that she will do her darndest to try. It's Obama's responsibility to reach out to them and show them that he understands their concerns and needs. Michelle's speech was a good start. But much more will have to be done to get these people on board. Make no mistake about it, Obama will need them if he wants to beat McCain.

Ted Kennedy made me remember his brothers last night. I campaigned for Bobby in 1968 and I never got over his death. What a courageous and poignant moment. He made me remember why I am a Democrat. I could not hold back the tears as I watched one of the most courageous political speeches in my lifetime. I hope that he helped all Democrats remember what is at stake in this election. I was a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton, but I will be voting for Barack Obama. I have to support the party that has been so good to the working middle class people of this country.

It is my sincere hope that those who supported Hillary will find a way to overcome the bad feelings and get on board. There is too much at stake this time. CNN, you need to tone it down and stop bashing Hillary, because it will backfire big time.

August 26, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  11. Ryan Field

Kennedy was good, Michelle was predictable, and I'm still voting for Obama. But you guys at CNN are really pissing people off and you're going to cost Obama this election with people like Donna Brazile, Roland Martin and David Gergen. Hillary supporters, even when they consider voting for Obama, listen to these three and all the old wounds from the primary come back.

So, let's move on, help Obama get elected, and get rid of Brazile, Martin and Gergen.

August 26, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  12. csc jonesville

tammy B LA you have no idea whats best for this country if you would try to open your shallow mind if possibe or go to an intelligent person and sit down let them explain just one thing about the true issues that are best for this country even though it might take all day you might get a little knowledge of whats happening.By the way what has cindy done did you no of her before the election year

August 26, 2008 at 10:54 am |
  13. l hank, houston, tx

Michelle Obama was not just talking of changing the world, she's actually making it as we speak. I cannot deny that Mrs. McCain is doing wonderful things in Africa and working hard with children's organizations, however, I believe in the phrase, "Charity begins at home." The McCains' need to look around them, step out of the IVORY TOWER and see what's wrong in this country. Go to the South side of Chicago, East LA, Harlem and other places where people have lost hope and feel without dignity. Try to find out why that person is sleeping under a bridge, why that person is without a job, why that person can't go get medical care or why that child in America is not attending school. Wake up McCains! Look at this country (1st) through the eyes of it's poor.

August 26, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It's sad Kennedy has cancer, but i fail to see why the Democratic Party lionizes a man who got away with negligent homicide.

August 26, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  15. Jolene

No mention of Latin Recording artist, Daddy Yankee endorsing John McCain and his immigration reform yesterday? Perhaps it was too small of an event and not morning Buzz-worthy enough. Oh well....

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 26, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  16. Carolyn Ardley

I watched & listened to mrs Obama's Speech and I came away wonering how a Harvard educated woman could give a speech so full of Grammatical errors? I bet Hillary's will not be that way!

August 26, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  17. Michelle

There is a great documentary airing on Current TV about the
    2008 election called Obama's Army. It focuses on a shift that
    has been unnoticed and not understood by MSM. It is community,
    it is social networking, it is organizing events in living rooms and
    dorm rooms and countless other venues. For the first time last
    night millions of Americans tuned in for a political convention
    that was history in the making. Please listen to the words of
    Carl Bernstein and give us more journalism like the segment
    you aired featuring Donna Brazille taking viewers behind the
    scene. Part of being a journalist is realizing the events and
    stories you cover during your career is what matter it is not
    about you and knowing when to shut up.

August 26, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  18. Barb

I'm not too sure that I can relate on a personal level to Michelle Obama as my children actually attend public and not private school. But I guess that spin is akin to Joe Biden representing change.

August 26, 2008 at 10:06 am |
  19. carolo

Oh yes. I think having a First Lady that had been a drug abuser would be just ducky.

August 26, 2008 at 9:54 am |
  20. Annie Kate

I watched the tribute to Ted Kennedy last night and his speech and for me it was the highlight of the evening. Senator Kennedy sounded in fine form and anxious to get things done that we have as a country needed for a long time. I sincerely hope he gets to see universal health care from his legislation; that would cap an already illustrious legislative career.

And I loved Caroline Kennedy's answer to Anderson's question about what she wanted to do next – be a part of the best political team on television!! Anderson was right – it was the perfect answer!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 26, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  21. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Good Morning Ac 360
    The convention was truly touching when Ted Kennedy spoke last night everyone was moved to tears by this moving speech. Hilary will speak tonight and no doubt raise questions as to uniting the democractic party if this can be done .

Thanks for the bzz and here we go day 2
    more speeches so little time
    have a great day
    michelle

August 26, 2008 at 9:46 am |
  22. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, I was so impressed with Michelle Obama speech, she is going to be a great first lady. The tribute to Senator Ted Kennedy was so moving, he is a true icon. God bless him and his family. I do agree with Mr Carville the Democrats need to get tough if their going to win this election. Have a great day Anderson.

August 26, 2008 at 9:42 am |
  23. Alex

I don't know about others, but when I listen to the theme of "change" that Barack Obama and his group of followers keep talking about, it sounds like someone is going to just throw a light switch and POOF, we have the instant desired change. I know everyone has dreams and they should. But what politicians often don't say is how long is it going to be before REALISTIC changes can be instilled and at what cost. With a flailing economy, increasing taxes is the last thing our nation needs. And without money and a strong economy, how is "change" going to come about.? Hope for a better tomorrow lives in all of us regardless of party affiliation. And yes the current Administration has done some incredible damage. But without substance, change is nothing more than a pipe dream.

August 26, 2008 at 9:38 am |
  24. T. Chandler

I am an african american woman. I am outraged over Obama's pick for V.P. I think it was disrespectful to Hillary Clinton that she wasn't even considered. I further think Obama didn't pick her because he has a problem with sharing the spotlight. The Clinton's have been good to America, and for America. It amazes me especially with my own people how easily we forget. In my 20 years of being of age to vote this will be the first election I will sit out. I am so discouraged I don't want to assist him in his arragance with my vote. I will not go to the extreme of voting for Mccain because that is just insane. But I will not give any candidate the pleasure of my vote and will encourage my friends and coworkers that feel the same way to do the same. I'm sure I will encourage many as I work in a company with more than 50,000 employee's worldwide. I will try to send a message to Obama this was not about you it was about the American people and what we wanted.

August 26, 2008 at 9:32 am |
  25. Peter

Tammy, Berwick: Obviously, you didn't listen to Michelles' entire speech or any of the other people who spoke of her and how she left a job at a law firm making $275,000 per year to do community work which bettered the lives of many peolpe. I'm sure if you ask them, they would tell you just how much she has changed their world, just as her former co-workers, friends and family attested to in the video last night.

Peoples' minds don't have to be changed this week, just maybe some of their votes. Then there'll be 4 years to change their minds!

August 26, 2008 at 9:13 am |
  26. Fed Up

I believe Casey is a delusional sociopath – who has told so many lies she is starting to believe them herself. I think she is caught up in the hype of the media attention with her evident narcisistic tendencies. I would not allow this girl in my house daughter or not – while she plays the victim card – she knows what happened to this little girl and her family cannot be that naive. Casey enjoys getting all of the attention-good or bad, that is why she keeps lying.

August 26, 2008 at 9:05 am |
  27. Kent, Illinois

Tammy..........I agree that ignorance cannot be changed in a week.

The American public has been duped by the Republican party for decades. I say this as an Independent. If Michelle Obama had the 100 million dollars that the McCains have she could jaunt all over the world playing the worlds princess benefactor as Cindy does. PR ? Photo Op? Out of touch?

The Obamas are real people that have actually worked in the private sector...........served the cities they have lived in. Actually "wanted" for things and worked for them. Michelle is a wonderful speaker and eloquently delivered her speech last night. Now the attack on the GOP will begin................Clinton night 08

August 26, 2008 at 8:56 am |
  28. Rhonda, Nashville, TN

I enjoyed watching the DNC last night and was surprised to see Ted Kennedy. His attendance was inspirational and shows the confidence he has in Barack Obama. Michelle Obama's speech was outstanding and moved me to tears. Last night's convention let the American people know Barack Obama and I am pleased that negativity was not part of the program.

On the other hand, I was highly disappointed with the CNN news coverage. I generally watch CNN every day and elect to watch many of the news programs, especially Anderson Cooper 360. The DNC coverage by CNN was all- negative-all-the-time. There were too many commentators and CNN did not even air the Nancy Pelosi speech because the commentators were too busy commenting! I want to hear the speeches and want to form my own opinion. I am sick of hearing the negative spins on everything! At times, I thought I was watching a carbon copy of Fox news and it was a horrible experience. I could care less what the McCain "camp" thinks of the DNC, they will have their week to shine and this week should be all about the Democrats.

I decided to watch coverage of the DNC on C-Span. I thouroughly enjoyed watching the events unfold without someone constantly adding their comments and negativity. I want to hear what the Democrats have to say and if CNN continues the type of coverage portrayed on Monday night, I will watch C-Span for the duration of the convention.

August 26, 2008 at 8:52 am |
  29. Michelle

I went back and forth flipping to different networks to see what everyone was saying – their views/opinions. Hands down – this network delivered. CNN – good job last night.

August 26, 2008 at 8:52 am |
  30. Winnie

"dog and pony show", I think AC is anal retentive....! Some of us make history, while others (you AC) just report it...very badly, I might add.

While watching Michelle Obama's speech last night, I have NEVER (I repeat – NEVER) been more proud to be a black woman in this country...!

August 26, 2008 at 8:47 am |
  31. Rahni, Connecticut

Michelle Obama did an excellent job addressing the DNC and personalizing her life and Barack’s. Unfortunately, you get an idiot CNN contributor commentator said she didn’t dress like a first lady. Thank about that? Michelle had on a beautiful green dress and this CNN contributor commentator said something unintelligent like that. If Michelle started to dress like a “first lady,” the same CNN contributor commentator will say, “she not a first lady yet”.

There are more important things to talk about instead of Michelle Obama’s green dress. I am beginning to turn off CNN and its unintelligence commentators.

Rahni, Connecticut

August 26, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  32. hemnebob

another tip of info for those who don't bother to read...

Cindy McCain is an Arizona businesswoman and the wife of U.S. senator John McCain. Since 2000 she has been the chairman of Hensley & Company, the Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship founded by her father in 1955. An only child, Cindy McCain was raised in Arizona and earned both bachelor's and master's degrees in special education at the University of Southern California. According to her company's official site, as of 2008 "Hensley is the third largest Anheuser-Busch wholesaler in the nation (out of nearly 800) with sales that in 2007 exceeded 23 million cases of A-B beers sold"... Cindy McCain does not publicly state her date of birth. The Cox News Service reported it as 31 December 1954 in an article on 7 March 2008...

so my dear tammy...
    you best bet that anheuser-busch is going to throw one hell of a party in michigan!!! it is the corporate loophole that allows corporations to schmooze the candidates with monies that they cannot contribute during the campaigns!

August 26, 2008 at 8:27 am |
  33. hemnebob

i too believe that those funds for that week of partying could be used towards something more charitable than the lobbyists and the corporate social gatherings...but tammy...wake up honeeeee.
    i will wager one year's salary that cindy will be in michigan during her husband's convention, don't be a silly goose to think that she is going to be anywhere but there by her husband's side. don't think for one moment that your subtle suggestion that one wife will make a better first lady than the next because they are BOTH dignified women...only difference is cindy was born with a golden spoon and has never had to ask for anything...hardly noble ya think?

the people in this country that are worth their oats are the little people not the wealthy. wake up sister! you watch the spending in michigan when the republicans come to town...

a bit too soon for judgement my dear friend.

August 26, 2008 at 8:24 am |
  34. Wanda

Why is there no mention of one key work from Michele Obama's speech, "this". Twice she said "this country". Wouldn't a patriotic thing be to say "my country"? She still strikes me as being somewhat of an outsider. I don't mean anything specific by that, but simply a feeling when I hear her speak. HOWEVER, her speech was a great one.

August 26, 2008 at 8:22 am |
  35. Pat

If Americans didn't see the hope, the dream, the future that is here for for them for the taking through Barack Obama last night they will never see their dreams or hopes realized! I don't know how Barack Obama or his family could have given Americans a better insight into what they're made of, where they're coming from and what their purpose for America entails. Michelle Obama in my view blew the cap off of any doubts or fears Americans may have held. The choice for a new Future led by a Man who is determined to give Americans the chance to live their dream is here now for the taking.

And why Carville and Anderson relentlessly perpetuated on the need for an attack theme on a night designed to bring Unity is more than I can even begin to contemplate! The Democrats are on a much more unified plane than that and they made that clear to the World last night.

August 26, 2008 at 8:16 am |
  36. Cindy

I watched the Dem convention and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But I have to agree with Gergen and Carville, it seems to me that they wasted the first night.

I found nothing that was said to be of any substance. The only thing that was great was the Ted Kennedy tribute and then when he spoke himself. That was very moving and got the crowd fired up.

Michelle's speech was good I'll give her that but it was the same thing that she has always said. There was nothing new in it. And she seemed subdued to me. I don't know if it was her playing up to a less forcefull image or what but I thought she'd be way more fired up.

All in all th first night was a big disappointment and was very boring.

And to CNN....maybe you all ought to show more of the speakers not just those you deem to be worth watching. That may have helped. I didn't tune in to see and hear you all talk. I wanted to see the convention.

Cindy...Ga.

August 26, 2008 at 8:14 am |
  37. thomas

after day 1 of the convention, it gives me even more reason to "write-in" Clinton for POTUS!!!

August 26, 2008 at 7:55 am |
  38. Michelle

Roland Martin described your coverage the best : haters.
    Anyone thinking this is about the Clintons are out of their
    minds Viewers are tuning in to witness history not hear
    about the Clintons and talking heads be so full of themselves.
    Whose dumb idea was it to have Republicans come on and
    attack Michelle Obama for a full hour on Larry King. Message
    to CNN : viewers are tuning in for the Democratic convention,
    dude we do not care about the Clintons or Republicans showing
    up to launch verbal attacks or the Madonna sideshow.

August 26, 2008 at 7:49 am |
  39. Greg

Ok. Clinton has setup the negative Ads for the republicans. Now is her chance to FIX it. She said Obama wasn't ready. All the negative critics from last night should include this as part of a MUST for her to prove she is truly supporting Obama.

The other thing that must happen and will show just how much or little control Hillary had over her people is to put and end to the LEAKS of negativity from her people. She can deliver the strongest speech of this time, but in her words if it doesn't involve a SOLUTION it will be just that a speech. So now she needs to live up to her own slogan.

She has to deliver a solution of unity.
    Otherwise her night will be... just a speech.

August 26, 2008 at 7:42 am |
  40. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I find it interesting that while Michelle Obama talks of changing the world in the future tense, Cindy McCain has been and is doing it. Just seems Mrs. McCain is the more proactive potential first lady.

What I'd be interested to know is if the convention actually is worth the money spent? Apparently racism and ageism are going to be factors in this race no matter what is said. I don't see the conventions changing people's minds (because hard core ignorance isn't changed in a week of stump speeches and rock stars). Just seems like the resources could be better spent by both parties.

Have a great day!