August 25th, 2008

Young delegate likes VP with experience

Editor's note: Jason Rae is a Democratic superdelegate from Wisconsin and has pledged his support to Sen. Barack Obama. He agreed to blog for 360° about his experiences.

Jason Rae
Democratic Superdelegate

Everyone was eagerly awaiting the text message from the Obama campaign last week. I was with a bunch of students at the University of Denver when it arrived in my inbox. And let me tell you, I was enthusiastic beyond belief! I think Senator Joe Biden is and will be a fantastic choice.

I first got the opportunity to know Senator Biden while I was a page in Washington DC in fall 2003. He is a leader who has worked for decades in Washington, but has never lived there. I remember him telling the pages how it takes the train each day from Delaware. He's an expert on foreign policy. He is perfectly suited to serve as Barack Obama's partner in the urgent mission to bring about the change America needs put our country back on track.

Everyone I talked to about Senator Biden, young and old, male and female, whatever demographic you want, was absolutely thrilled to have his name on the ballot. The firmly believe that the two make a group team and am excited to see them move forward.

Filed under: Jason Rae • Raw Politics • T1
  1. Roxanne

Jason, you're young. Don't be swayed by these old farts. Stick to your guts.

Older folks out here, how many times have you worked on a job where your boss has all the experience but was an airhead.

August 26, 2008 at 1:19 am |
  2. daniel vilca

Finally mr obama pick his vp, you see vp is the most important menber of a cabinet and they have to be ready to lead the country in case the president cant…funny thing about that…Some thought Biden a possible running mate for presidential candidate John Kerry back on 2004, but Biden urged Kerry to select Republican Senator John McCain instead!!. so mr obama dosent just have a vp who thinks he is not ready but that thinks mccain would be a good president!! jajajjajja
    mr obama…no words…
    DELEGATES! SUPERDELEGATES! THIS IS YOUR TIME UNDO YOUR MISTAKE ON THE CONVENTION VOTE FOR HILLARY, THE POLLS ARE TALKING!

August 25, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  3. Heather

Sen Biden is a honest decent human being who has been around a long time and seen a lot.I have always liked him for his honesty.

August 25, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Teresa Chicago

Smart and right choice. Two million dollars smile-one Obamas one Bidens ! That what we need -not stupid Bush face or old and cranky MC Same!!!

August 25, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  5. Moureen

I'm underwhelmed by Obama's choice of Biden.

August 25, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  6. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Jason,
    You are such a party loyalist, I'm sure you'd write the same post no matter who Obama picked.

Did you catch Biden on Saturday saying about his wife, "she has her doctorate degree, and that's a problem"? Biden found it funny, but others felt uncomfortable by his type of humor.

Biden is known for his gaffes, and now they can do some major damage to Obama's campaign.

August 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  7. Mike in NYC

Biden/Obama would have been a better ticket.

August 25, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  8. Kent, Illinois

Opponents of Obama will say anything against him no matter who he would of chosen for VP. The GOP makes everything and anything up to smear the Dems every 4 years. It is time the Dems smear right back...........or first. If that is the kind of tactics it takes to win in this country than that is what the Dems must do. They want to talk about the issues but that isn't what elects Presidents, unfortunately. The American people are too used to living the gossip of their own lives that this is what they want to do in the election cycle as well. Why do you think anyone at all listens to Rush Limbaugh? For the gossip factor. It isn't for any facts at all. He's an idiot................

August 25, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  9. JC- Los Angeles

Although Jason seems like a wonderful, articulate and bright young man, it says an awful lot about our nation if being a page one summer qualifies you to be a Superdelegate.

I guess if Obama, who has limited experience, no foreign policy background, no military experience and no Senate accomplishments of note, can run for President then the equally inexperienced Jason can wax poetic about Biden and be a Superdelegate.

What a country of leaders.

August 25, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  10. Lynn

Senator Biden is an excellent choice for V. P. because he's tough. I believe Barack Obama and Joe Biden will make a brilliant team. He could not have picked a better choice. Congratulations to them both.

August 25, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  11. Dennis

Can you see POTUS Biden?

August 25, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  12. Greg MacKenzie

Well stated Jason. May I add that Senator Obama's decision to select Joe Biden corroborates his claim that he will be "right on day one". The United States, including it's international interests, is too big an animal to be lead by one person. Regardless of what the pundits will say, no amount of experience (be it public or executive) prepares someone for the presidency. In fact, I don't believe this is a discussion point. McCain's platform is soo off base with the realities of 21st century challenges, that he cannot debate them. So, he is playing the experience card. In doing this, he is attempting to harbour fear in the the heart's of American's that Obama will drop the ball when he get's the 3 AM call. Well, in my mind, no President makes the call independently. He whips up an effective team of specialists, listens objectively, and exercises judgment by challenging the experts and making sure the situation is examined from all angles. In picking Biden, Obama is demonstrating a commitment to this process. To me, it is a great sign of his commitment to lead the american people. We do not need an ego in the White House, we need a listener.

August 25, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  13. jacquie NY

Jason-
    I agree with you 100%. I was thrilled that Biden was asked to join the Obama team. This is my "dream ticket."

August 25, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  14. Cindy

Jason,

He’s an expert on foreign policy.

That is the ONLY reason that Biden was picked. Other than that he is the total opposite of the "change" that Obama has been preaching that he is going to do. Biden is as far from change as Bush is! Get real!! He is more of an insider than anyone!

If you are happy about that then you aren't too keen on Obama changing much because Biden hangs with and takes money from lobbyists. He isn't going to change anything as long as he is getting paid.

Cindy...Ga.