August 25th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/25/08

Anderson is in Denver along with the best political team in television covering the Democratic Presidential Debate... Join the conversation! I can't promise Anderson will join in, but let's hear what you think so far.

Take a look at whats happening on the convention floor. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Audrey

I'm sure Cindy McCain can equally inspire the country. Although she didn't come from humble beginnings, she is a successful business woman in her own right. She could have easily chosen to do nothing and simply enjoy her family's wealth like many other socialites. However, she is actively involved in her family's business. If anything, she inspires women.

August 25, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  2. Gary

This is all political theater. Even Kennedy's so called speech was prepared in advance and anyone who thinks it was off the cuff is fooling themselves. Caroline Kennedy was not comfortable answering Wolf's question about it.

August 25, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

It has to be so much fun talking to Caroline Kennedy.

August 25, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  4. sue

You Have to LOVE Caroline Kennedy!!!!!
    Thank you...finally someone shut the blowhards up about Clinton...and without saying anything.
    Thanks you Caroline!!!

August 25, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  5. Campbell

Michele's speech was well worth the wait, and their kids are adorable! It's hard to hate on little kids. Now that the "Let's Meet the Obamas" show is over, I'm ready to get down to the nitty gritty of the covention. Yes, that means bash on Bush, McSame(oops, McCain), and tell America what the Democrats are going to do to get this country back on the right track.

August 25, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  6. FAITH

Michelle was great! How can you not get pumped up? Barack seams to have a solid family life. He can run the house hold...so he can run the country! He has got my vote!!!!

August 25, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  7. Mark Ferbet, Grain Valley Mo.

The Obama family impresses me… Obama is highly intelligent, and his wife is equally intelligent. It is nice to actually hear people speak with regards to what needs done in this country. And to understand what they say…

————-

Well, my opinion is it is nicer to see what a family can DO for this country…not what they say they would like to do.
    No one said that they are not intelligent.
    I have yet to see substance. I look and listen .. listen being the major tool. And, I don’t mean listening to commentary. I also look at what people DO or have done.

_____

True... Very True. But I have found that many people are refusing to SEE what they are capable of doing. WE need a strong leader, a Young Leader, and a leader that is Progressive, Strong, and understands how to compromise, and get something done.

Campaigns are great examples of how a Candidate will manage the country, and if you base it all on that... Obama will do wonderful. I would suggest to all those that are looking for more substance... start doing more research... and get the facts.

August 25, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Audrey, Obama's campaign has been all about slogans and catch phrases because he does not have many accomplishments or any experience to talk about.

August 25, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  9. Mary

Caroline Kennedy , a possible cabinet position if the Democrats take the white house?

August 25, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  10. Ken Stein

The best kind of change brings everyone along and leaves no one behind. I am so glad we heard from the Kennedy family and that we will hear from the Clintons. They too are part of this movement within the party as we pass the torch to a new generation.

August 25, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  11. Michelle

It will be nice to have young children in the white house too. They are just adorable! I do admire a good mom! Most important job in the world. Including President of the United States. You learn both jobs from good values.

August 25, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  12. Michele, Charlotte NC

Mike from Syracuse...Right on Point!

August 25, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  13. Gary

Interesting comments here. Obama claims to be a new politician yet you all expect the "attack dogs" out tomorrow? How do you expect your messiah to bring us all together with attack dogs?

August 25, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  14. Angie

Obama is about change. Tonight is about change. The change was to clean up our house first before we go out after somone else. This was about change to something positive. Some cultures do as the campaign did tonight. They get to know theperson first before they do business. The only wasted time was the time spent being negative by the commentators.

August 25, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  15. Cyndi

Anderson, I am very proud of Michelle Obama. She did a marvelous job on her speech. Michelle did an outstanding job talking about her family and how she came to this point in her life. What a beautiful story of family, love and sacrifice. There is no doubt that she and Barack are very patriotic. God bless them both.

August 25, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  16. Maggie

Hi, I wasn't going to watch the convention but I though maybe something important would happen. Michelle Obama gave a great speech but I still know nothing about Obama actions. She was a great motivational speaker but, Obama had to show up missing by remote and still didn'y say anything substantial.. It was like she was accepting the academy award for him whie he's making a movie somewhere else.

August 25, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  17. Carol Trezise

I disagree with your pundits....who needs to keep hearing about the
    Republicans...we will hear it over the next 3 nights and the next 70 days...I'm already sick of the bashing and negativism.

I, a white women, over 50, enjoyed the postive feeling of tonight, learning more about the Obamans, especially Michele's speech.Nancy Poloski speech was enough bashing for one night. Kennedy was wonderful!

The talking heads are all out of touch...enough of the negative!!

August 25, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  18. Dan

Great speech by Michelle Obama. good to see Teddy give it his best for the team. Tonight was not the night to start spouting political rhetoric. She is introducing herself and her family to America and I for one look forward to her moving into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

August 25, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  19. David From Washington, D.C.

Tomorrow will be a very good day to bring out the attack dogs and let them go after the Bush/McCain policies. I wonder if Cindy McCain can capture the American imagination when she addresses the Republican National Convention, in the magnitude with which Michelle Obama did during this Democratic National Convention.

August 25, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Ted Kennedy is so forceful and,as John King said, ourageous and so bold in his opinions that he brings forth an equal boldness and enthusiasm in you as you're listening, brings you right into the fray. Love him.

I've seen interviews with Michelle Obama and some clips of her speeches from the primary campaign, but this the first speech of hers that I've hear in its entirety and I liked it quite a bit, I related to everything she said. Don't know how to put it, like her outlook.

Think she moved things forward on a positive basis.

August 25, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  21. James D. Rhodes

I understand the point that some of you are making about not "attacking" the Republicans. Nonetheless, I disagree. I believe it was appropriate to get the more liberal wing out of the way in the first night. There were also some very moving statements and speeches made by Caroline, Ted, etc. It then reached a climax with Ms. Obama. She reminded me of the moving speech Bill Clinton made in 92 regarding his alcoholic father. I think it went well!!!!!

August 25, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  22. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Can somebody answer why David Gergen and others are perpetuating that the DNC has not included any substance with tonight's opening messages. I'm a democrat & I'm totally satisfied with the content. The magic was there for me.

August 25, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  23. Sandra Abraham

If we want to win this election, Although I hold them both in high esteem, Jim and David have to understand that, at least for women, learning who Michele and Barack are is so important. Gloves off at the beginning is an asset, not a liability. I am afraid that their negative comments are very damaging.

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  24. Gary

I thought Michelle Obama's little talk said really nothing. The entire evening has been a complete waste. What did anyone learn about the Obama platform?

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  25. Mary

Hilary Rosen makes a very good point. I did not think of it that way.

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  26. Hannah Storm

I think Michelle's roll was to introduce Barack and her family to the Americans people who unlike us have not watched for the past 19 months. I have no worries that the next 3 days will bash on McCain/Bush. Bill, Hillary, Biden and Obama will handle that. I think tonight's mission was accomplished

August 25, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  27. Lynette

Michell was dynamic!!!! I saw Michelle as a wonderful mother and beautiful wife and very dynamic, intelligent person she is.

August 25, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Great question Anderson, I wonder how many people tuned out? People have such a short attention span.

August 25, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  29. Mark Ferbet, Grain Valley Mo.

There were speakers all evening, however the coverage on these speakers was poor. What did we miss? Substance maybe?

I have great faith in Anderson Cooper and David Gergen... but the point of tonight was to hear these speakers... and we didn't hear all of them. We are hearing the analysts...

August 25, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  30. Audrey

Mike from Syracuse, I agree with you. While I think it's great that the Obamas struggled and are now successful, I still don't see why I should vote for Barrack Obama. Hope and change are great slogans but his two years in the Senate hardly qualifies as experience to run our country.

August 25, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  31. MaryBeth

I hope that the next 3 nights will be what Donna Brazile is talking about: what kind of change is he talking about? How will he do it? What does he really think? Where does he really stand?

August 25, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  32. carrieinSterling, Va

She didn't sound like the Michele I've heard on the stump-if she was trying to convince me that this is the real Michele-she failed. I'm surprised so many people thought it was a good speech.The girls are adorable and I do beleive she is a great mom-but first lady?

August 25, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  33. Cyndi

What a wonderful job done by Michelle Obama. She looked amazing! Anderson, when are people going to stop "hatin' " on Michelle and Sen. Obama. I'm getting sick and tired of the jealousy and the predjudice undertones. I'm sick of people saying, "we don't know anything about Sen. Obama". Well dog gone it read his books!!! Whenever you want to know about something or someone, you read up on it and study it. Don't keep whining about what Barack is not doing. Worry about what the heck is happening RIGHT NOW with those republican boobs in the white house. Focus on that!!! Do you really want 4 more years of that nonsense.

August 25, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The real question is not how Obama's supporters felt about the night. Of course, as this blog shows, everyone thinks she's brillant. This will not move the meter for those who are questioning Obama's qualifications.

August 25, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  35. Linda - Houston

-----

Well, my opinion is it is nicer to see what a family can DO for this country...not what they say they would like to do.
    No one said that they are not intelligent.
    I have yet to see substance. I look and listen .. listen being the major tool. And, I don't mean listening to commentary. I also look at what people DO or have done.

August 25, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  36. JImmy in California

Well I see now we are going to have 2 really smart people in the White House after the election. It's so sad that for 6 long years Laura Bush was the only brain in the White House. I think they made a good move tonight to introduce the Obama family to the entire nation. Now we need to get to the meat and potatoes tomorrow.

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  37. Michele, Charlotte NC

Amen to Linda from Houston!!

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  38. Mary

David Gergen right on point again.

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  39. Bill

I still say it was poor judgement on senator Obama's part, not going with the "dream ticket" but I have to say Michelle Obama did a great job and will make a great first lady, if they win.

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I hope they don't waste the next 3 days bashing Bush. As a voter I'd like to hear details. I do agree with David Gergen.

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  41. Sandi Humphrey

Re: Why No McCain Bashing?

For weeks CNN contributors have been suggesting the reason that Obama isn't miles ahead in the polls is that Americans don't know him and his family. So this evening, that question was answered. And what do you do? Criticize the DNC for NOT bashing McCain. It's day one. Michelle captured America tonight – American will tune in tomorrow. Perhaps they'll tune out when all of the McCain bashing starts. We're tired of it all.

Sandi Humphrey

August 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I agree with Jeff, it was an Obama lovefest. Tonight was nothing more than preaching to the choir. I doubt it changed anyone's mind about Obama.

August 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  43. David From Washington, D.C.

Well AC, for those folks that had no idea who the Obamas are, this speech tonight was indeed the "get too know us" variety. Michelle was marvelous, eloquent and captivating. This is the family that the American people want occupying the White House. There could be no greater representation of change.

August 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

Thank You Donna! That is exactly what tonight was about...we still have 3 nights left, enough time for Bush/McCain bashing.

August 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  45. Alan

Better at Speeches.........Barack Obama vs. Michelle Obama. Seems even to me after tonight.

And who cares if the other speakers were "boring" didn't you tune in to see Ted and Michelle tonight and won't you tune in the next nights basically to see the Clintons.

August 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  46. jeff, arkansas

I think the speech told the u.s. a lot about Michelle and how she understands what America wants. That is our future to be long standing, and it begins with our childen. Now i also believe we must change and change now before its to late.

August 25, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  47. Cody - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Obama is running on a platform of hope and change. We have heard speeches and experienced moments that embody that message. If they had come out slamming the Bush administration and Sen. McCain, they would be seen as negative politics as usual.

August 25, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  48. Gina

Watching Michelle absolutely touch my heart and watching the audience they also felt the same. I really think they way the video, her brother and her speech were line up was great. How can you not love these people?

Also, is this thing on for like a week, how can you not have so called wasted time? The time is not considered wasted as long as the purpose is obtained!

August 25, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  49. Mary

I am very interested in what Caroline Kennedy has to say. Great of you to get her to come over and speak to you.

August 25, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  50. Linda - Houston

August 25th, 2008 11:05 pm ET

Jeffrey Toobin just nailed it. This has been a love fest, but hasn’t provided one solid reason to vote for Obama. Sorry, but ‘hope and change’ doesn’t hack it.

----

Exactly! Eight years ago people fell for the smile/smirk from a down home cowboy and look where we are now.
    We need to hear some substance.

August 25, 2008 at 11:10 pm |