August 25th, 2008

Erica's News Note: The Other Stuff

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

We’re all focused on the conventions for the next couple of weeks, but that doesn’t mean we’re blind to the other news happening in the world. Today’s offering is lighter fare to ease you into the last official week of summer. Enjoy!

A newborn boy – just hours old – is abandoned in near-freezing temperatures. The infant would have died if it weren’t for a quick-thinking mother who happened to be nearby. She somehow scooped the baby up and added him to her brood of six… six puppies, that is.

__________

A beauty pageant for nuns. No, that’s not a typo. It’s time for the Sisters to strut their stuff, and prove there’s more to these gals than a habit. Turns out, the world has some misconceptions about nuns, and one Italian priest is taking it upon himself to change them. Before you get ahead of yourself, the answer to the swimsuit question is “no.”

"We are not going to parade nuns in bathing suits," said the priest behind the pageant. "But being ugly is not a requirement for becoming a nun. External beauty is gift from God, and we mustn't hide it."

__________

It’s no Miss Sister 2008, but American Idol has plenty of pageantry… and now a new cast member. Admit it; it’s your guilty pleasure, too!

A fourth judge is being added to the mix this year. After seven seasons, the producers were ready to mix it up.  Seems like this could be judge overload…though maybe a less predictable assessment of each performance is just what we need. I wonder if she’ll be as honest as Simon?

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    So Sassy Simon, Randy and Paula will get a new addition to help dish out all those words of wisdom. I'm guilty of watching, so I guess I'll be tuning in to see the new critic. A songwriter might be a good judge. Or not? We'll see.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

August 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Annie Kate

I read the story about the baby being rescued by the dog and was just amazed. That is one lucky baby and one smart dog. I hope everything works out good for the baby and he is placed with a loving family.

And yes, when the beauty pageant of the good Sisters happen you have to tell us all about it! With pictures! All the nuns I've known aren't what you would call beauty pageant material.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Jeanette

HI Erica,
    I would still like to know if I am reading this wrong? Is this really a child or is it a puppy???????? I enjoy the story either way, but everyone else seems to think its a human child and I don't.

August 25, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  4. Alexander

Erica, I find that story about the dog taking in that infant very heart warming and very fascinating. What a lucky child! So cute. Really, what a cute, loveable little story.: )

August 25, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  5. SARA.ro

Hi Erica
    Always are very welcome your electric notes;most of them are challeging enough to bring out from the deep inside,common sense , feelings or values.

August 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  6. Jim ,

Hi Erica-
    " but it doesn't mean we'er blind to the other news happening in the world"
    Ya Coulda fooled me Pretty Lady- all I get are Comercials & Convention, I have to go on line to find out what is happening elsewhere in the world. I know its not you- Please pass this up the ladder to CNN Big Wigs
    so that they can tell their advertisers I'M NOT BUYING ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS. – Products take MONEY- Money takes a JOB – Which I
    DON'T Have because of ILLEGAL Ailiean CRIMINALS having mine that CONGRESS does NOTHING ABOUT. Let the Delegates put THAT in their pipes & smoke it before they vote.

August 25, 2008 at 6:46 pm |
  7. Jeanette

Hello.....Am I reading this wrong???? It sounds to me like the abandonded newborn boy is a puppy. It doesn't say it is a human newborn. Please clear this up for me.

August 25, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  8. Gina

I want to say that with the new tropical storm that is rapidly developing, PLEASE TALK about it. With Fay the computer models were so incredibly wrong, this new one has to have a high warning on it. It has intensified so fast in the last couple of hours and the conditions that it is in really worry me. I really feel it's going to be at least a Cat 2-3 going into the Gulf. You know I don't live in the Hurricane areas but can't help worrying for the people and my family in those areas. My brother works on a rig in the Gulf, so I can't help being on high alert with these storms.

San Francisco, Ca

August 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  9. Jim- Kearny, NJ

Hi Erica!

Great story about the dog and baby. I would like to know what happened to the mother of the abandoned child. Since they know her age, they must know her identity. Was she arrested? What's going to happen to the baby? Please follow up on this one.

When the website is up for the nun pageant, you have to post it.
    You brought it up : )

And a fourth judge on American Idol still isn't enough for me to break my streak of having watched zero episodes.
    Simon Cowell gets richer while America gets another focus group chosen, moderately talented pop tart? I'll pass.

See ya later,

Jim : )

August 25, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  10. Jon - Melbourne, FL

What an interesting story about the nuns. I read the full article and am a little surprised that they are receiving such opposition. At a time when the Catholic church should really be looking at a way to appeal to a newer generation, this seems like a gift that was handed to them. It seems like a great way to show how these women are not "holier than thou" themselves; instead they are normal, humble women that simply saw no other way to live their lives.
    What an interesting story...

August 25, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  11. James H

Salût Mme Hill, 🙂 You DO speak fluent French, I've heard?

So... I'd be interested in the Soirée Gowns for these nuns. Not to rain for 40 days and 40 nights on their non-existent swimsuit parade or anything, but can we have a show of hands for who gave them this idea? Pardon my naïveté, but farbeit from me how there exists a niche market for such a thing... but I guess if Turtle Man can find an audience, we should give voice to the Sexy Sisters.

As far as the fourth judge is concerned, keep in mind that the sisters don't look to kindly on the whole "Idol-atry" thing – what remains to be seen is whether our new friend Miss DioGuardi has what it takes to divert our collective attention away from the pageant.

All in a day's reporting, it's à la prochaine for tonight.

August 25, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  12. GF, Los Angeles

Sorry Erica, American Idol lost it's appeal to me after Clay Aiken. I haven't followed it since and adding another judge or famous musicians to the mix doesn't interest me.

It's quite ironic a human being would abandon their baby in a field of all places, yet an "animal" who many assume are dumb, would rescue it even though the abandoned is not an animal. Goes to show how dumb we humans are since we're suppose to have more sense.

August 25, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  13. Dennis

A 4th judge will take time away from the contestants to showcase their talent.

August 25, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Heather

Hello Erica!

Bet your glad the vp texting is over.

Animals are just amazing creatures.The love they show for an abandonded baby is a lesson for any human.It brings a little tear to my eye.

Well there is something to said about natural beauty. Of course Im sure any of these ladies will have much to share from the wisdom they have and I dont think they will have trouble talking like another young beauty who had a wealth of knowledge of maps and us americans.

August 25, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  15. Lilibeth

Awww…that mother dog’s story of “adopting” the baby is just so touching. I’ve heard of dogs and cats adopting other baby animals, but not baby humans. The maternal instinct just kicks in…regardless of what kind of baby.

Good…another AI judge. Maybe she and Paula can gang up on Simon…

A beauty pageant for nuns…just when I thought I’ve heard it all.

See you later,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  16. Presley

Holy Flashbacks of Catechism Batman!
    Nuns? Working a catwalk?
    Well, the Catholic Church loves it's pageantry.

August 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  17. JC- Los Angeles

Will the nuns be in Denver to support another sister, sister Michelle Obama?

August 25, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  18. Marcy

I'm proud to say i've never seen even a second of American Idol!

I loved the sotry abotu the mom who saved the infant, when will people learn that babies are just hat babies they didn't ask to be here, and don't deserve to be treated like trash once they get here. There were so many options available the mother could have taken, sad that they never take them.

Marcy