August 22nd, 2008

When a text message just won't work

Ted Fine
AC360° Senior Producer

I just did something I pledged I would not do. I just paid $5.99 to watch television on an airplane. They threw in the headphones for free.

I paid my money because I can't get a text message in mid-air. And I – like you I suspect – want to be one of the first million or so people to know who Barack Obama picks as his running mate.

I'm flying to Denver for the convention. The Livemap on Channel 13 shows I am currently over Indiana. I wonder if Evan Bayh already got his call from Obama.

I've been reading CNN's briefing book. Someone's been busy. (Fact: the Pepsi Center seats 18,007 for hockey but 17,417 for arena football).

CNN's been busy for weeks in Denver and Minneapolis. It takes months of planning and weeks of physical labor to get our setups set up.

I'll get my first look in a few hours. Check back then for more.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Behind The Scenes • Raw Politics
  1. Marge Bubner

Just a little humor on Obama and Joe Biden sung to the tune of Hardrock, Coco, and Jo:
    Ode e o lady o lady i a Running for president Obama will stay. Ode e o lady o lady i o Obama for president with Joe.
    The convention is buzzing with all democrats . Hillary and Bill are supporting Barrack, ode e o lady o lady i o Obama for president with Joe.

August 24, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  2. Jon Canada

Txting is the way of the future; notice the time: 3:00 am is when it was actually sent out. Cell phones are so common now nearly everyone i know has one its a new medium a smart move

August 23, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Mrs. Y

Mr. Obama failed to deliver this “text message” promise, i.e. “you will be one of the first million or so people to know who Mr. Obama picks as his running mate.” Well, the whole world got the news from CNN first, not from Mr. Obama’s text message.

This “text message” hype shows that in delaying the VP pick announcement, Mr. Obama’s camp is shamefully greedy in trying to collect as many phone numbers and email addresses as they can until the last second, and ultimately failed to deliver what they were trying to sell.

August 23, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  4. adam

It's great that he picked Biden. To Lynn, I think you should grow up and just so you know, Obama never trashed clinton you are just bitter because she lost and should REALLY get over it, its time to move the country forward.

August 23, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  5. daniel vilca

Finally mr obama pick his vp, you see vp is the most important menber of a cabinet and they have to be ready to lead the country in case the president cant...funny thing about that...Some thought Biden a possible running mate for presidential candidate John Kerry back on 2004, but Biden urged Kerry to select Republican Senator John McCain instead!!. so mr obama dosent just have a vp who thinks he is not ready but that thinks mccain would be a good president!! jajajjajja
    mr obama...no words...
    DELEGATES! SUPERDELEGATES! THIS IS YOUR TIME UNDO YOUR MISTAKE ON THE CONVENTION VOTE FOR HILLARY, THE POLLS ARE TALKING!

August 23, 2008 at 5:01 am |
  6. 2PACOLYPSE NOW

McCain is probably sending news via Pony Express. I can't even believe people can't see through McLame's Elitist persona. That Maverick image is a gimmick. He created that Maverick image to salvage a career that was practically ruined by his horrible lack of judgement in the Keating Five scandal. Lack of Good Judgement apparently sticks more to McCain like a fly on flypaper considering McCain's been around a lot longer to do dumb stuff longer than Obama

August 23, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  7. Tony from DC

Dont worry Ted... McCain is notifying his supporters of his choice the old fashion way... by mass media mailings! *lol*

August 22, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  8. Lynn

Another Obama drama game!! Sorry Obama were don't care and hope Hillary wins Monday!!! Mrs. Clinton was the best person for the job, but since Obama lied and Trashed her name were voting for McCain!! McCain is more trusted the a slug like Obama!!

August 22, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Eileen

just watched Lars the Republican idiot on CNN Larry King say that only a twelve year old sends texts. My step-kids are 30something millionaires who don't talk on phones but text me everything. Obama is tapping into the future with this. It's brilliant. The Republicans are dinosaurs.

August 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

Its like waiting for Christmas to see what's in the stocking. Since I just heard the announcement that Obama will wait until Saturday morning to send his text message out I hope you enjoyed whatever you watched on the tv. I wonder with all the 3am call talk this campaign if Saturday morning turns out to be Saturday morning at 3 am? I'd keep that pager close by tonight and I hope you are a light sleeper!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 22, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  11. lampe

Cotton; McCain's campaign is waiting just everyone else to see who Obama picks. The reason they are waiting is because they already have T.V. ADS, ready to go against anyone he picks, so see while you all have been waiting around doing nothing, once again The McCain Campaign, is ready to attack Obama\ Whoever. Obama, has given McCain like 24 hours to be prepared for anything smooth move Obama.

August 22, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  12. Vicki

I'm excited about learning who Obama

v.

What a neat idea to e-mail supporter's who the VP will be. Shows you can change the way politics are done in our country. The voters will know first. Hope it works.

August 22, 2008 at 8:39 pm |
  13. deebert

We love you, AC360!

My 67 year old husband & I dearly hope
    Barack adds to the veepstakes hype
    by making his blackberry announcement at 3:00 a.m._
    just for FUN!
    Whatta hoot!
    😉

Thanks!

August 22, 2008 at 8:38 pm |
  14. lampe

Obama, has has you nuts waiting all day, for what a text that was supposed to be sent sometime this afternoon. Well looks like he's played you again." They'll just wait around all day for a message from because they think I'm GOD"

August 22, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  15. Cotton Rohrscheib

No matter what your politics are, you still have to give the Obama campaign a lot of credit for building the hype over the VP announcement... They have demonstrated how to run a campaign in the age of social networking and text messaging. Meanwhile McCain's camp needs to do whatever it can, in my opinion, to make him look a lot more tech saavy, especially when it comes to the "internet's and the google's" and all that...

August 22, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  16. Maggie

I don't care...and Obama is a TV Tease...

August 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  17. Sharon from Indy

In the news industry is about who gets the information first.

Bring on the conventions!

August 22, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  18. Larry

Wonder if Obama gets a cut of the sales:)

August 22, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  19. Alan Herman

Ted,
    Keep informed at all costs! This is the most exciting campaign and feeling of hope I have had in my entire life. While the Veep selection is being touted more than it is actually worth, I want to know as well and am glued to my phone and the television.
    I hope to be pleasently surprised.

August 22, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  20. GAIL Centre,Al;

Text the V.P. WHO'S IDEA WAS THAT. What are they thinking, goes to show you the kind of judgement Obama has. It doesn't matter who is on the ticket, MCcain will beat him. IF Hillary, too little too late. To bad the dems, have the wrong nominee. Hillary would have a chance.Obama's an empty suit. GO MCCAIN.

August 22, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  21. Saad, Ramsey, NJ

Ted, you are funny.... in a very good way.

August 22, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  22. Jolene

Hello Ted: Thanks for blogging. Looking forward to your take on what's happening as you head to the convention. Even though the $5.99 is a total rip off (those headphones are not worth it either), I would do the same exact thing. Good Luck!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 22, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  23. Jenny Rome Georgia

I have now had the braking news alert removed from my copmuter. I about had a heart attack when I got the first one about the horse rescue, there has been a plane crash into a house and now a fire. My nerves are shot and my co workers are about to do the same to me. So Obama baby text me wehn you can, I give up!

August 22, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  24. Jan from Wood Dale IL

I actually find it quite funny how Obama has all the media (and his faithful supporters) dangling like puppets on a string. Anticipation, I think not. If Obama can't win the election on his own merits, his VP pick won't be our second choice, at least not this year.

August 22, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  25. DA in Arizona

Hi Ted. We're all in the same boat! I bet you would have paid more than the $5.99, right? The waiting is killing me! I have not put my cell phone down for one second for the last 2 weeks. I am hoping today it will happen. Have a great time in Denver. I would have loved to be at the convention!

August 22, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  26. Heather

What would be better for Barack Obama than to make political history by creating breaking news during the evening news. You watch CNN and then it happens.Everybody knows that sound.You get a text message only it's happening live on the news . We are all sharing in this moment together. Not bad. Making history making the news.Smart strategy!

August 22, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  27. Kathryn Madison

I got a text from the campaign last night around 8PM that said John Edwards is the VP pick.

August 22, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  28. Sue

Funny how the first two comments, one told you to unplug once in awhile but she must be constantly "plugged in" and on this website to be the first replier and the second one told you you crack her up to be monitoring this campaign announcement so closely, yet its your job to do that, yet is it her job to be so ON this site to be the second to respond to insult you.

Anyway, I too am anxious to find out, and this is the first internet site I turned to being on the computer working and not near a TV nor radio, so I understand your curiousity and mine isn't my job as it is yours, just my job as a concerned citizen hoping Obama picks someone that will help him WIN!

And Stacy, yeah number 2 doesn't do or say much of importance (like second posters) BUT Obama's choice for VP is really in a way his FIRST executive decision and will greatly affect his chances of winning or losing, so given what a president can do to affect my life and humanity and the world as a whole (e.g. Iraq war, economy, gas prices, health care etc etc), yes I TOO anxiously am monitoring to find out who he picks and care who he picks... so don't be so cynical and cut this producer a break... he's just doing his job and in a positive way and the snide remarks from you too were not interesting to read, but his thoughts were interesting... why I come here to learn, not to be snide and insulting to people here doing their job to inform us as this show and site and its staff do very well IMO.

August 22, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  29. JP

Jesus. Relax. There's a time to be a ferocious newshound and a time to simply sit back and reflect. Senator Obama's VP pick isn't going to change your worldview before you land. And it certainly isn't going to bump your ratings.

August 22, 2008 at 1:38 pm |
  30. Jeff in Los Angeles

"The number two generally doesn’t do much, or if they do, their actions are very cloak and dagger and take place from press-free undisclosed locations."

This cloak and dagger stuff was only the case for Dick Cheney. Al Gore was a very hands on Vice President. The VP does alot more than you think you silly goose.

August 22, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  31. Suzi, CA

Hey, I did the same thing! And just to make me a little worse, I had my co-workers do the same so just in case the text didn't come thru on once cell phone, someone else would get it! I guess we get a little too used to having 24/7 news available to us!!

August 22, 2008 at 1:23 pm |
  32. deborah, OH

I care, but am not obsessed. I really have no idea at this point in the VP stakes. As Stacy pointed out, what's Cheney been up to lately??

August 22, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  33. Stacy

You news types are cracking me up. I'm not an expert, but I'm fairly certain the world will not end if you do not learn Obama's VP pick the second after he makes the news public. What's particularly hilarious, is that once the choice is made and the initial frenzied coverage is over, there's not going to be much to say about the guy (or gal!) once whatever party eventually takes the White House. The number two generally doesn't do much, or if they do, their actions are very cloak and dagger and take place from press-free undisclosed locations. Speaking of which, what's Cheney been up to lately?

August 22, 2008 at 12:51 pm |
  34. Julie San Diego, CA

You'll be a happier guy Ted, if you "unplug" once in awhile....

The world turns whether you see the text message or not. 🙂

Enjoy Denver. It's got to be really nice out there this time of year. Hope you get some time to get out into the mountains when the convention's over; Colorado Springs is really lovely and it's a short drive away.

August 22, 2008 at 12:42 pm |