August 22nd, 2008

Like on TV… only bigger

Jonathan Mann
CNN Anchor

It’s an overworked cliche to compare U.S. political conventions to really long television shows. They are staged primarily for a TV audience at home and they’re as carefully staged and scripted as any prime-time drama.

Arriving here before the start of the Democratic Convention, I can tell you that doesn’t capture the scale of the operation. It’s bigger than a TV show — it’s like a sprawling TV studio that spreads through several buildings over entire city blocks.

Not a single delegate has arrived, the politicians aren’t here yet, but there are carpenters, construction crews, painters, upholsterers, caterers and a lot of TV-news people setting up enough equipment to start a whole new network.

The convention starts Monday and runs through to Thursday. Tune in to our live coverage and see how big it looks on TV. Believe me — here, in person, it’s bigger.

Filed under: Raw Politics
  1. tom

Will any mainstream media acknowledge any 3rd party candidate? Are we forced to pick between the lesser of 2 evils again? We need serious change... overthrow both major parties they are both corrupt! The change that Obama and McCain are talking about are really more of the same. Also what is with this "commander and chief" talk? Isn't the president working for the people? not the other way around? Wake Up America. This War on Terror is a War on Peace. Can we really afford to keep making money out of thin air? Does the Constitution still exist? Are we truely free? Vote with your mind and heart. Please examine all candidates and their histories. Also remember these 2 major candidates are the "likely nominees" It's not over until its over. Hilary Clinton supporters and Ron Paul supporters can still make a stand at the respective conventions.

August 25, 2008 at 12:48 am |
  2. Gina - Missouri

I can't wait for both conventions. I intend to be glued to CNN for each day of both!

August 24, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  3. sherry

im not happy who he chose for vp obama saids he for the people will he should have choosen the right vp for the people not a man who is ollldd like dirt people in missouri not happy he will find out in nov. at voten time.................he really needs our state but dont think he will get it now........they wont get much done cause obama is long winded and biden is long winded boy two long winded in the white house dont know if we can handle them speeches .............boreing most of the time anyhow,now they just got worst

August 23, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  4. greg

yes i'm happy that Obama picked Joe Biden and I'll be voting for them in NOV.

August 22, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  5. Anna, Hong Kong

It's an impressive looking building, & with all the buzz surrounding the convention... it's compulsory viewing.

August 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

The building is really pretty – I bet its bedlam inside right now with everyone getting ready and the noise level will just go way up when the delegates and politicians start getting there. I'm looking forward to the coverage and seeing what drama plays out there this year. Ought to be a memorable week.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 22, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  7. Susan

Jonathan:

I have been to the Pepsi Center once. I was visiting come friends and we went to an Avalanche game. Very attractive building !!!! Love all the glass!!!!

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

P.S. Hope you will not be sitting in the penalty box.

August 22, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  8. Heather

It's like being in Las Vegas! It's really impressive.Lucky you!

August 22, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Jonathan,
    Me too. I agree with you...... I can't wait see how conventions going too. I would like see Hillary Clinton to speak and others. It will be fun to watch convention next week............ And I will watch CNN too. It will be more exciting to watch Democrats convention.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 22, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  10. Larry

Wow! Will pepsi be the official pop of the democratic party?

August 22, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  11. Lilibeth

The picture of the building looks impressive. I wish I can be there to see all the festivities. I envy you all. Have fun!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 22, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  12. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Total naval class graduates 988. McCain graduates at the bottom at 984. Bush graduated with a C average and becoming president two terms didn't make him any smarter. McCain is dumber than dirt and he proves it in his campaigning and Republicans don't seem to care.

August 22, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  13. Cindy

Jonathan,
    Can't wait to see how the convention goes. I'll definitely be watching CNN's coverage.

Cindy...Ga.

August 22, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  14. K@KatchProFILMS

That is such a nice building.

August 22, 2008 at 6:18 pm |