August 22nd, 2008

Evening Buzz: Embracing the wait

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. waves as he arrives at a restaurant for dinner tonight.

Cate Vojdik
AC360° Writer

Have we mentioned how much we love mapping out and writing two versions of 360 instead of one? Really, it’s fine. We love cliffhangers.

Yep, we’re on veep watch again tonight. We’re told Barack Obama will send his historic text message announcing his running-mate any time now. But will it be minutes from now? Hours? The news business is fluid and unpredictable by definition. That’s why news producers love contingency plans. (We’re not kidding about the two versions of tonight’s 360.)

No text message yet, but there are all kinds of rumors flying around. The best political team on television is standing by to weigh in when we finally get word. If we get the news by airtime (or during the program) we’ll have in-depth coverage of Obama’s pick. We’ll tell you everything you should know about his running-mate - from the pluses he or she brings to the ticket to any downsides. We’ll also tell you who’s feeling sour grapes over not being chosen.

We’ll also look at what Obama’s choice means for John McCain’s strategy. You can bet your copy of “Waiting for Godot” that McCain and his people will go into overdrive as soon as they know who’s sharing Obama’s ticket.

Then there’s Plan B. If we don’t get the text, we’ll focus on what’s taking so long and what the tea leaves were saying today. We’ll also look ahead to next week’s Democratic National Convention in Denver. It’s expected to be the most dramatic piece of political theatre we’ve seen in a long time. We’ll explain why.

Lots of suspense tonight. It’s called hurry up… and wait.

See you at 10 PM eastern.

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. sherry

not all troops wants mccain well i might add veterans are pulling for obama,but again thats depends on his runnig mate if its bidden a lot wont vote for him but mccain wont get it either their is the green party and the lib party or some of the vets just wont vote if obama dont pick hillary

August 22, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  2. donna in AZ

Hey maybe it IS Al Gore....

August 22, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  3. Lou

Ref 8/22 Program 1st Hour: The political analyst in discussing Barack Obama's National Security credentials are repeating the stereotype message. In do so, they are disregarding his judgment in calling for, (1) a troop withdraw timetable from Iraq which the Bush Administration and John McCain have resisted and today the Administration agreed with the Iraqi government on a timetable, (2) Obama calling or added troops to Afghanistan to complete the task previously ignored by the Bush Administration only to have the Pentagon afterward announce more troops will be sent to Afghanistan, (3) taking and staying with a position against the Iraqi invasion, and (4) the positions Obama has taken relative to the Russian invasion of Georgia, similiar to the Administration's, unlike McCain's. It must be note neither the Bush Administration or the McCain campaign have have made a public statement regarding the Iraqi troop withdraw timetable. Barack Obama is gaining in credibility on National Security matters and this should be acknowledged.

Please insist you analyst stay current and stop repeating old information.

Thank you.

August 22, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  4. Susie Sweet

I am a Catholic and will not vote for a Pro Choice candidate! Will never vote for an "empty suit." I guess McCain gets my vote if he chooses a Pro Life candidate.
    Susie

August 22, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  5. donna in AZ

Man I'm feeling on edge right now; all signs are now pointing to Joe Biden yet Biden plainly told reporters on camera "Im not the guy"....what's up with that??? Do we have a liar taking VP status in this USA???

August 22, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  6. Chris Haywood

Come on Lets be real how much power does the President of the United States have anyway. VETO power which Congress can override. Kerry has military experience which is what is most important. Mccain wasnt no more than a sergent and claims 20 plus years of military background but you cant count almost a 3rd of it because he was a prisoner. How much experience can you gain locked up. He also talks about refusing to be released. Thats a bunch of bull. I bet if the truth be told he had some little sweet thing over there he didnt want to leave and didnt want his family to find out about so he stayed.

August 22, 2008 at 11:28 pm |
  7. Lady May

We have been extremely disappointed in the lack of professionalism exhibited by Barack Obama in promising one thing and chaging his mind. Faithful followers of CNN watched all day for this big nothing to be announced. There is only one choice for Vice President and her name is Hillary Clinton. Otherwise many people will be jumping off of Obama's wagon.

August 22, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  8. sherry

people in missouri is hoping hillary if not we arent voting...bidden is not well like in mo. and he is to old for the young people and the woman here dont like him to much

August 22, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  9. TSCOT

HILLARY WILL BE THE WINNER

August 22, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  10. Dan

I wonder if Obama will send out his text message at 3 a.m.

August 22, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  11. Larry

Biden has a lot of medical problems; its why he was rejected by the military for Vietnam. 36 years in the senate; maybe he's getting scared of term limits.

August 22, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  12. Larry

If John Kerry had done a John Edwards and resigned his senate seat with the expectation of beating Bush then would Kerry still be in the senate?

August 22, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  13. michael c

Take John Kerry, subtract miltary service and experience and you have Barrack Obama......an inch wide and an inch deep

August 22, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  14. Ivan

i can imagine everyone in Washington checking their cellphones when the text goes out in one giant choreographed move

August 22, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  15. Jan, GA.

I will not set an alarm!!!!!! I will just wake up to CNN and find out who will be VP nominee. Get those energy drinks ready. A long night is ahead of you!

August 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  16. undecided

I sure hope the media is wrong.. again.. on this one and BO is smart and chooses HRC as his running mate. If not this undecided registered former Democrat, current registered independent voter to macains side. I just don't think BO is fully ready given the state of the overall condition of our governments serious flaws in it's economy and foreign image.

August 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Chris Haywood

you better get some news crews at the house of John Kerry. You guys have been wanting a leak and I keep trying to give it to you but you huys wont take the hint

August 22, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Ralf Gonzalez Newark,NJ

I like it, the wait and excitement. I just hope that Obama makes the right choice in picking his right hand man or woman (VP)
    And can really use a bump up in points. as it stands he and McCain are neck on neck in the poles so we who root for Obama need him to bounce back strong. We do not need another bush in the white house especially from a man that can't even remember how many houses he owns. god forbid he wins and gets the white house, that will really throw him off.

August 22, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Carolyn

I think the text messaging will come in the form of the "3am phone call" and I hoping Hilary Clinton will be Obama's pick. What could be more surprising?

Carolyn
    Michigan

August 22, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Ricardo Williams

Believe it or not, I'm the guy that predicted the fall of The Soviet Union a year before it happened, and I'm also predicting that Obama's running mate will be a female. Based on his language in this morning's interview. However, I cannot pick the specific female as I do not know enough about the females serving in the Senate and Congress at this time. If I'm right I'd appreciate a mention on your next show!

August 22, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Matthew from Tennessee

This will be a HUGE suprise pick...it's got to be Al Gore. All the signs point to it. Biden said himself "I'm not the pick" in the car.

August 22, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Chris Haywood

please please please just spend 20 seconds discussing why or why not John Kerry

August 22, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. noreen salter

Does everyone have their cells and blackberrys read for 3 am in the morning to see who Obama pics?

August 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Lew Yeager

There's an old barbershop song that begins: "Look out world. Hold on tight...the future is gonna be bright!" Many Americans already sense that Barack Obama is gonna take us on a glorious trip to a brighter future so mark August 23 on your calendar because this is where it all begins!

August 22, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Chris Haywood

I do not understand why the best choice to counter Mccain with his military background and experience has not been mentioned. That person is John Kerry.

August 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Lynn

Sorry Obama but no thanks!! We really don't care about all the drama game!! That's a Democrat for all about Brain washing and game's!! The Democrat's had their big chance two years ago and we voted you in to stop the way!!! We watch and you sat on your ass's and voted Bush a open Check Book!! Know you want us to vote in your pretty boy Obama what a joke!! Thank-God for McCain !!! Were all voting for McCain all the way!!! Everyday at work we root for McCain and the troops want McCain. No thank Obama and say hi to your jail bird friend Rezko!! lol , Obama hahaah hahah

August 22, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Rilz

I belive that Barack Obama will trow everybody a curve ball in this vp sweapstake.

August 22, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. ac

John King, (congrats on your wedding to you know who), is doing an energized and feisty job at the helm of 360 the past few days.

Talk about a breath of fresh air. No bias. Technical and political acumen.

Anyone who is sour about this wait and see that Barack Obama has masterfully staged...is probably not a Democrat.

Please know that Hillary Clinton would not, necessarily, need to be vetted. She had all that taken care of for her run and over the years.
    So let's not get the Hilraisers raising Hell on this one. Hillary could be picked with the vetting that exists.

Well, Barack Obama has stopped the world, again. Is he a celebrity?
    You bet. But he is more than that. But that people are galvanized by him instead of despising a US leader. We could do much worse.

Setting a clock on an early Sat. morning in the Summer. Only for this kind of transcendent historic moment...

August 22, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. ross

I would love to see it be Hillary, but that's not going to happen. I will be thrilled if the pick is Joe Biden. What a great ticket that will be! I am glad Kaine is not the choice, only for the fact that it would have highlighted the inexperience factor and it would not have helped Obama.

I hope its not Chet Edwards, I really don't want to see Speaker Pelosi get her way, she is not my favorite person.

Will, Al Gore would be very cool! Although I think that is very unlikely.

August 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Lenny

IF IT IS NOT HRC, I'M STAYING HOME 11/4/08

August 22, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Amber, FL

My God, if its Biden I'm gonna shoot myself. Thats the perfect losing ticket. How boring. Yawn!

August 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Kathryn

I really think he may end up picking up John Edwards

August 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Debi

Did it ever occur to anyone that the Clinton(s) did NOT want to be financially or otherwise vetted – could that have been the outcome of that private post'primary Obama/Clinton meeting?

August 22, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Sue Rotolo

If Barack Obama thinks the way to reach the youth is to use text messaging, why is he texting the youth tomorrow at 6-7 am when the youth are sleeping in?

August 22, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Christy

I agree HRC is the obvious choice and will ensure that the Democrats take back the White House

August 22, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Will Gillen

I have a feeling that the text message is going to be two words:
    "Al Gore".

Watch and see. 😉

August 22, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Roger

I can't believe the media is staking out the front doors and vehicles of potential veep picks. Follow the florist's truck. I bet it has already delivered Biden to a waiting plane.

August 22, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Christy

If Obama wants to win this election I am hoping he has really thought about who the vp should be. I think if he doesnt win the election in November he will look back and wonder if he made the right choice. Unfortunately for him I think his emotions or his ego will probably mean it might not be the obvious choice. I mean who would think that McCain would be so close in the polls considering the state of the economy and the current Bush white house.

August 22, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  39. Larry

HRC is the only one who could step in should something happen to Obama; plus she has all the qualities he's looking for, not afraid to challenge him.

August 22, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  40. Larry

So, any of those names would be a capable potus should something happen to obama?

August 22, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  41. Connie form Indiana

Was Biden being smuggled out in that flower van.He may be in Springfield now. Connie

August 22, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  42. Betty-IN.

Once again Obama has the Media & all his supporters at his beck & call–No wonder he's laughing every time we see him–To bad his EGO is bigger than his Policys. He's Lost if it's not Hilliary!!

August 22, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  43. EL

One reason I love the Obama campaign is that they really don't care what Lou Dobbs or any other CNN gasbag thinks.

August 22, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  44. DG

Staking out at the houses of potential VPs sure does feel feels like oscar night. Once the winner....er running mate is announced, you guys will ask all other losers how do they feel not being selected?

Welcome to the Election Circus!!

August 22, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  45. Chris

As in my previous post, I think it will be Colin Powell, if it isn't Joe Biden. It would be a major coup and none of the networks is watching Colin Powell's house, either. How cool is that?

August 22, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  46. Larry

Why is everybody looking at this an event comparable to waiting for the white smoke that indicates a new pope has been elected by the cardinals?

August 22, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  47. Judie

Has anyone noticed who is NOT scheduled by name to speak at the convention ................. Tim Kaine and Chet Edwards names do not appear wonder if that could mean one of them is the nominee. All of the other favorites have speaking slots.
    Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl

August 22, 2008 at 9:37 pm |
  48. Lea

This is the 3:00 a.m. call.

August 22, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  49. Heather

I don't think he'll be texting tonight.Most likely the early morning hrs west coast and 5 or 6 am east coast Sat am.I think this entire thing is cruel.Cruel to me and to CNN and everyone else.Its stupid .Why not just say when.We all want to know who the veep is.Why make us go through this.I figured you might have changed the show.Either way I love watching the show.

August 22, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  50. Annie Kate

I bet Obama is having fun with this waiting game – all these news people waiting around for that text message, not knowing how they will lead off their programs tonight. I thought from the coverage last night that everyone thought he would announce his choice on Saturday. What happened to that plan I wonder?

I'm hoping for a surprise pick....so guess I'll wait with you.

Annie Kate