August 22nd, 2008

Convention Thriller

Electricians connect power cable as preparations on the floor of the site of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Friday. The convention starts Monday, Aug. 25.

Kay Jones
AC360° Editorial Producer

We are gearing up for AC360 tonight, sitting in the Pepsi Center listening to the house band practice for the convention. There’s lots of activity in here, as crews are finalizing the arena for next week. Although we are still three days away from the first speeches, there will be constant checking to make sure everything goes correctly. At the moment, the band is playing some Michael Jackson which is making things a little more fun in here for us. They are testing the floor cameras for the big screens above the stage, and checking out the lighting. You’ll probably see and hear all of this behind John and the panel on 360 tonight.

That’s it for now. Will check in later.

1. josh

I am a Hillary Clinton supporter but I will not vote for obama and biden because I don’t want the same old politics to change there is no unity for us I don’t like the war in Iraq but we are there and we need protect the innocent from Iran we need a plan mccain has a real one I just wish the candidates would talk more on the economy and immigration I believe the only fair tax is the one where everyone pays the same% and illegal immigrants are give a chance for a clean slat and a green card if they start paying taxes and local and state governments to not get federal funding while they break the law and harbor illegal activities
    I know its just one voice but I want it to be loud

August 25, 2008 at 7:25 am |
  2. Steve

Barak Obama says he's a unifier and goes across the aisle to bring people together. He says he will bring change from politics as usual. Fiddlesticks!

He had a chance to bring the democratic party together and he blew it–in a huge way. Nearly half of the democratic voters wanted Hillary and she deserved the VP spot. That would have been the dream ticket. Instead, he chose Biden, a senator since he was 27. Talk about the ultimate DC insider. Change? Not a chance. Barack showed he is politics as usual. To top it all off the dems are waiting for Hillary to unify the party. That's not her job, that's Barack's job. He's the nominee! And now the dems are going to lose another close one. It would have been great to have an African-American pres and and a female VP, but you can blame Barack for blowing this one.

August 24, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  3. lampe

Adam; How are you acting like an adult ,calling HRC Supporters, sour patch kids,sounds a little childish to me.

August 24, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  4. Mo

PLEASE move the program tonight to the booth. The floor location is going to be exciting when the convention starts, but the music practice going on right now is making it almost impossible to hear the commentators...and even when you can hear it is VERY annoying.

August 24, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  5. Carla

I don't understand why the pressure continues on Hillary to give up her delegates, to bow down....she still has supporters and Obama did not have the number of delegates to win....Super Delegates can change their mind and vote for who they want. There is a process that allows Hillary to be on the ballot and allows her delegates to vote for her. It seems that everyone including the press wants to crown Obama and sidestep the defined process. If there's something wrong with the process, then it should be changed. But, if that's the process that the Democrats have, then let it happen and see who wins. Are they afraid that Hillary could still win? In past years when there were two candidates on the ballot there wasn't all of this hooplah about dividing the party, so what's the difference now?

August 24, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  6. vexan

i m ready to see this

August 24, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  7. adam

This will be a great event and I cant wait. I really hope there is NO drama from the hillary supporters, democrats should make the most of this event and I hope the cops arrest all the sour patch kids if they try to interrupt the convention. This is time to be ADULTS and see that the country is allowed to MOVE FORWARD after all its turmoil.

August 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  8. Lynn

I sure hope HIllary wins!!! Because Obama is a Tug and a slick talker!! Obama you can't trust and Democrats lost the game 2 years ago. I really think were going to vote for McCain!! McCain is a person you can trust unlike Obama.

August 22, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Jolene

Kay:

Let me guess, was the MJ song playing "Thriller" to correlate with how we are feeling about this upcoming VP announcement? Or should it have been "Say, Say Say" since Obama hasn't yet. Love all the behind the scenes reporting around the convention. Looking forward to watching.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 22, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

Hi Kay

Sounds like a busy environment – probably hectically busy. I hope the band plays some Michael Jackson during the convention. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the behind the scenes stuff on the convention that we don't see on the tv. Thanks for sharing!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 22, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar

Hi Kay,
    Sounds good to me........... I can't wait see this and I will see AC 360 later..... But I will not be there tonight. I am planning out of town, I will be not there Live Blog tonight, I will be back next week to see Democrats Convention on CNN TV, It will be fun!
    See you later, have a great night, have great weekend.......
    Megan D.