August 21st, 2008

Professor Obama and the August Curse

John King | Bio
CNN Chief National Correspondent

Do the Democrats have an August curse?

That's probably not the best way to put it, but in elections they have lost, Democrats often look back and view August as a wasted or just plain horrible month.

In 2004, for example, John Kerry led most national polls heading into August; his biggest lead was in the five-point range. But by early September, some surveys had President Bush up by as many as 10 points.

The Democratic collapse of 20 years ago is the stuff of legend. Michael Dukakis was up 17 points in some national polling after his July convention, but that lead started to fade in August and in the end Dukakis won just 10 states.

So will it happen again?

The numbers aren't as dramatic as 1988, but they do have many Democrats nervous.

In mid-July, the CNN poll of polls – an averaging of major national polling data – showed Obama with a six-point lead over Republican John McCain. Now, as we prepare for next week's Democratic convention, Obama has a tiny 1-point edge over McCain: 45% to 44%.

Too professorial, some Democrats say of their candidate. Too different, others worry.

Democratic pollster Peter Hart still believes Obama can and should win the race handily. But he says to do that, Obama needs a strong convention, stronger debate showings, and an adjustment in his communications approach.

"Democrats have all the advantages on the macro elements: the direction of the country, the mood toward the president, the sense of change," Hart says. "Voters are worried, though, about who is more experienced, who has got the right set of qualities, who is going to be safe, who is going to be able to deal as commander in chief."

Hart's advice?

"One thing Barack Obama has got to do is move from long paragraphs into simple sentences. 'Yes We Can' is a phrase. Now there needs to be meat on the bones and simple sentences that voters in voters in rural areas and suburban areas can understand and say – 'That is my man."'

Editor's Note:
Don't miss the full report tonight with John King as he anchors AC 360° tonight 10pm EST.

Filed under: Barack Obama • John King • Raw Politics • T1
  1. Jeremy

Franky, nice way to mix in the Dennis Green-Bears reference and make it political. very nice.

an earlier article today talked about the McCain newest "The One" ad. Everyone needs to realize that Obama is the one. The only one to not only once, but twice, vote while in the state legislature to not support the saving of a baby that survived an abortion. Essentially, Barak want to finish the job an abortion doctor couldn't. Murder we can believe in.

and you can't slam McCain for starting to run attack ads because everyone already knows where he stands on the issues. We're just starting to find out where the Obamassiah stands. If you don't then in September you can pay for his third book since running for president where he promises to outline what he believes in. I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants. Not.

August 22, 2008 at 8:38 am |
  2. Mike

I'm sorry, Elizabeth, why is a NAME so disturbing to you? Hmmm. I once new someone named Elizabeth that I didn't like, so I find anyone I meet now with that name "disturbing". It's more disturbing to me that it took you this long to figure it out. It was fodder for your folk several months ago.

August 22, 2008 at 8:35 am |
  3. Sara

It's taken me awhile to figure out why rural America often goes somewhat against its best interest and continually votes republican, despite the fact that they never see the tax cuts for the wealthy, and (along with minorities) their children are the first to be sent to war.

But it's becoming clear. Liberals think that rural America is filled with idiots.

Rural America is filled with doctors, lawyers, scientists, business owners, economists, artists, and engineers. Unfortunately, those that don't live here view the landscape (corn, corn, soybeans, old shed, silo, church, corn, church) and make unfair judgements about the people that live here. Just like Chicago is not merely its failed housing projects, and the South is not just the KKK, the Midwest is not just the farms that scatter the highways, or the trailer parks near truck stops.

Please, media (especially the Liberal media), we are tired of being treated like idiots. I am a democrat working on a Ph. D. in neuroscience, and happen to live in a small (ish) town in Indiana. Please stop addressing us with simple issues like abortion and prayer in schools. Stop asking "will it play in Peoria" and talk about real issues like education, healthcare, and the economy. If we don't understand, we will look it up.

August 22, 2008 at 8:26 am |
  4. John

Could we elect the smart guy for once? What kind of sick and insane nation do we have to be, that we keep insisting on electing idiots?

August 22, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  5. Jay

John Mc Cain is an opportunist plain and simple. He left his first wife for a millionaire, he called the religious right intolerant only to embrace them when they were needed politically. He called Bush tax cuts irresponsible only to push them later. He was against off shore drilling until he saw a political opening. Obama does give profound thought to his answers but atleast you know he's being honest. Mc Cain just says what you want to hear. That might explain why the religious right doesn't trust him.

August 22, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  6. Chesapeake, Va

I say forget the polls and forget the odds....No matter what anybody says or thinks Obama will be the next president of the US. What most people fail to realize is that there has already been a change in the game so forget about what has happened in the past those days are long gone. The race has already been decided long before it started and Obama will be president....I don't care what the odds or polls say. I predict McCain is going to fumble so bad that he is not going to be able to recover and it will expose him and everyone else for the fake that he is.

August 22, 2008 at 8:12 am |
  7. cathy smithson

Once again in this article we have an example of geoism, stating that we in rural and suburban areas really just cannot understand whole paragraphs (like those city-folks can!) and we need to have our information broken down into simple sentences and phrases for our simple little minds. The one this this election cycle has shown me about some people in our country is that the "city" types view anyone between the two coasts as second class citizens who are some type of simpleton that are inherently scared of the new, and I suppose clinging to our guns and religion. As I travel around the country and the world, the moment I mention I am from Ohio I am classified as a "stupid midwesterner", and have often had people who do not even know me indicate they are "sorry" for me since I live in Ohio.

August 22, 2008 at 8:09 am |
  8. Rhea

It's not that Obama is too smart, too educated, too wordy, too nuanced, too black , or too thin. It's that he's too liberal. Most Americans are moderates who lean to the right or the left and want a candidate also fairly central. The problem with the Democratic party is that they insist on nominating far-left candidates who resound with their own base but not with the rest of the country. The August curse...well, most of us don't really get serious about candidates until then. The best predictor of a candidate's future actions is looking at their past actions. It doesn't take a lot of time to review Obama's experience and voting record to realize he believes the USA should be a socialistic society where hard work is penalized and the entitlement mentality encouraged.

August 22, 2008 at 7:32 am |
  9. Zion

I think Obama is doing great. Look, he's a black man running in the United States. People can get online and scream, oh look, the race card is being played, but the fact is, he's a black man. If McCain can't close the deal any better running against a black man, I'm going to turn the tables and ask about his abilities. Second, McCain has experience, but it is not the experience that can lead this country to success. I can have a 20 page paper, but that doesn't mean that it's a quality paper. Ironically, only Democrats can loose this race by not being unified. I knew that in the end, conservatives would back McCain.

August 22, 2008 at 7:31 am |
  10. Vee Robillard

I hope anyone who reads these comments realizes that part of the republican strategy is to "divide and conquer". I'm sure the majority of people posting anti-Obama are Republicans.

Be aware...don't buy it. We will do better.

YES WE CAN!

August 22, 2008 at 7:26 am |
  11. Math Fuzzy

I don't get it why so many americans think choosing BHO is choosing socialism.

BTW, socialistic principles are -to more or lesser degree- part of european economic and welfare policies in the last 50 to 100 years. And look where we are? The EU is, right now, in much better economic shape than the US, although developments world wide do take their toll. So how about that for socialism?

I'm always amazed to see Americans willing to spend thousands of dollars on securing their homes, but not willing to spend hundreds of dollars in local tax increase, to improve security (especially in socio-economic sense) of their neighborhood.

August 22, 2008 at 6:49 am |
  12. Nick

The media lead by George Stephanapolus ae trying to give McCain an easy ride to the presidency. McCain is a no brainer with no real ideas and diplomacy. McCain will only worsen the image of America and plunge the country into economic disaster with 5million rich cap. he is out of touch with houses, ranches and aricrafts he can't keep track of.

August 22, 2008 at 5:45 am |
  13. Frank

I suspect that at least 50% of the problems Obama is having in the polls is with some white people who, unfortunately, cannot accept a black man for Preisdent. Let's face it; if it was a white guy with Obama's brains and charisma; the race would have long been over. However, in my opinion, the fact that a black man can go as far as Obama has done in a predominantly white country; shows why America is the greatest country on earth!

August 22, 2008 at 5:29 am |
  14. swajan

hai john king,
    if you believe in pridictions are not ihave a prediction for november 04th if democrats choose hillary as the nominee then this time surely democrats will take over the whitehouse.or if still they back hussain obama then this time it will be maccain 08,believe me maccain will beat hussain obama by a lead of around 22 electoral votes.obama will only get 249 electoral votes,where as rest of votes will go to maccain,so on behalf of me you suggest democrats to change the nominee in the convention.are they will repent in the election08.
    thanks cheers
    swajan

August 22, 2008 at 5:12 am |
  15. J.V.hodgson

Dear CNN,
    You Libel of Mr. Obama and slander of me and thousands of others is disgraceful and not necessary.
    Mr Obama is not a professor and he has never claimed to be such. I suggest you choose your words more carefully if you wish to be respected as Journalists.
    I suspect this will be moderated out but never mind, if you do I'll simply lose a little more respect for your profession of Journalism especially if you have Phd in said profession.
    Hodgson.

August 22, 2008 at 5:00 am |
  16. Arya Sengupta

I do not live in America, but I know that my future, and the world's future, is unquestionably linked with who the President of USA is. Pesident Bush led America to a war of vengance against a country that was not in any way responsible for the 9/11, and that one decision has made the world a cauldran of hatred and conflict, whether in the middle east, in the balkans or in South Asia. He led America away from the Kyoto Protocol on saving the world against environmental catastrophy, and has been adament against compromising in the Doha round of WTO trade agreements. He is no intellectual, and look where he has led us all– to the brink of disasters. America needs a change, and the world needs a change. We would rather have a Professional and an Intellectual to lead United States for the next four, may be, eight years.Wake up America, give the world a chance.

August 22, 2008 at 4:55 am |
  17. KM

The election, like many things, is rigged. Hillary should have won the primaries, not Obama. I'm a die-hard Republican and I would have voted for Clinton... but Obama? He may be a good orator, but a president? Pssh. Here's looking to the DNC waking up and nominating Clinton instead of Obama. Wouldn't that just be a scream?

McCain '08

August 22, 2008 at 4:34 am |
  18. Chris

Obama-Wan Kenobi, Hillary is your only Hope.

August 22, 2008 at 4:12 am |
  19. Eric

I can't seriously believe that people are willing to put another Republican in the White House, even a moderate like McCain. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Obama's lack of qualification and McCain using his POW days as qualification to lead our country. Obama started with very little and in a short time has made himself a presence in this country, inspiring the youth of our nation. I'm nineteen years old and I can say that I don't want a 72-year-old guy who graduated in the bottom 5 of his class running our country.

Right now I'm not proud to be an American, if being an American consists of falling for dumb smears like Obama is a muslim or a terrorist or he doesn't love his country. Come on people. Learn the issues, and then judge the politicians on that, not weather or not they survived a POW camp or how many houses they own. McCain actually said that if we have to stay in Iraq for 100 years then so be it. Now he's helping to antagonize Russia when we are already overstreched. Stop wasting our money on wars and lets rebuild America.

Give my generation a chance to feel pride our country and hope that democracy actually does work. Make an informed decision.

Vote Obama on Novemember 4

August 22, 2008 at 4:08 am |
  20. Judy, Somerville, MA

I agree with Vegas, BJ, and Robert's comments on Obama's arrogance which best describe him, his eloquence in delivering prepared speeches with his chin up and chin down with not so fast responses when asked impromptu questions, and what else ... oh, the young voters enthusiasm during the primaries who crowned him early on, etc. Where are these people now, how come they are always blaming Hilary's supporters for not crossing over to Obama's camp?

America and DNC, you wasted another good democratic chance to win the White House. The upcoming DNC convention with rock stars and all and says convention is not all politics is very true. It's Hollywood, and that's where Obama belongs. Black Entertainment!!!!

Been a registered democrat since I became a citizen but since Hilary is not the nominee, I'm crossing over to McCain even though he slips and slides due to age. I think he can lead better.

August 22, 2008 at 3:56 am |
  21. Maggie

Obama is her man? she wears a pin that says she's an Obama mama? oh brother! I love God and my mama but I DON"T LOVE OBAMA! Love, is a very special thing...good grief....I am worried about the love and worship stuff happening with Obama. It begins to cause problems and threats. Same crap, different decade. establishment vs. anti-establishment politics...will the real Americans please stand up then sit down and vote? My man is asleep, because he has to go to work tomorrow, not to Hawaii. It musy be nice to work from Hawaii, talking to people about change. My change is going to groceries in the morning. or maybe the homeless dude that hangs out on the corner, I think he;s ben there since the 70's...

August 22, 2008 at 3:32 am |
  22. BoB

Part of me acually hopes Obama looses just so that there is a whole generation of young people in other countries who have grown up with the US being considered a parriah state. The diminishing of its power and particularly its reputation will be complete with McCain.

August 22, 2008 at 3:26 am |
  23. David Jumbo

All you Hillary die heart fans. I don't know what you Americans Think. You saw your candidate clearly throwing her support for Obama. She lost and for the good of the DNC and your beloved country, why not follow her advise.

Obama is the man of the moment. just look at passion he brings to the world scene. America will be a better country, if you just allow Barack to concentrate and do his Job. I'm an African , but fill totally disapionted in your lack of wisdom.

CNN is also not helping matters, you only err negative news about Barack, why you polish that of MCcain. Pls uphold your Integrity and stay neutral of both Candidates.

You misinform the People, Shame unto your network -CNN.

Obama will WIN, come Nov and democrate will repair the damage done by MR BUSH and MCCAIN

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT. 08

David A. Jumbo
    Bonny Island
    R/S, Nigeria.

August 22, 2008 at 2:54 am |
  24. JN

Obama has yet to realize he doesn't have a "working-class" problem or even a problem answering "straight forward."

Obama has a "Stupid uneducated American" problem. he answers questions in a thoughtful and intelligent manner and that's his problem.

he needs to ralize this is a stupid country full of stupid people and he need not speak to middle aged children like adults because theya re far from.

John and Jane Q. budweiser like to hear, "follow them tot he gates of hell!" not well thought out diplomatic answers that are in sync with the opinions of a rational and strong leader. Simple minded people appreciate simple minded answers and the GOP understand that.

Obama better darn well learn how to speak "stupid" or he will go the way of John Kerry. We live in an anti-intellectual society where people dont bother thinking when they have a preacher and a news anchor to do it for them.

Obama needs to hit himself upside the head, drop his IQ a few points. Those voters in OHIO didnt end up working at a steel mill because they were top of their class and had strong critical thinking skills.

QUICK OBAMA...LEARN TO SPEAK "DUUUH" BEFORE YOU LOSE THIS THING!

August 22, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  25. raymond, san diego, ca

Obama doesn't want an egotist as a running mate? I wonder why? Could it be 2 egotists in one room is 2 too many for him?
    The man's problem is not that he is smart-he is. But Hillary is just as smart if not smarter. The problem is Barack is a community organizer. That means his background is in getting people motivated to accomplish something. He is not trained in explaining to people why it is important for them to accomplish what he has motivated them to do. he is not trained to plan out and instruct people how to carry out a project. That's where Hillary comes in. Hillary's asset is that she is a community planner. during the debates she belted out the details on every issue possible. unlike Obama, Hillary knew the name of the new leader of Russia. Obama sat and deferred to Hillary. That is what he has to do now. barack Obama can only win this election if he allows Hillary her due-that she is the one with the know how to get it done and he is the one with the know how to get people excited and to the table. He either allows her to be president or allows her to be co-president. If he is foolish he will pick someone else who is much like Hillary but who does not have the name recognition or ability to generate excitement amongst women. Obama has to put his ego aside and do what is right for the country, not for his ego. If not Hillary 2008, Hillary 2012.

August 22, 2008 at 2:45 am |
  26. Van from Alameda, Ca

Hillary supporters,

If you vote for Obama you will see Hillary around for decision roundtable. If you vote for McCanned who will continue the ugly policies from the last 8 years. Do you follow?

Vote for someone who can bring prosperities to our country.

Obama2008

August 22, 2008 at 2:37 am |
  27. Catherine from Canada

If McCain wins this election America is going to get what it deserves, point blank. There is so much going on in terms of the economy, Health Care, the environment and people are arguing over whose party is better! McCain is a lose cannon and if he becomes president, the great depression of the 1930s will appear to be 'tinbits'. The whole world is looking America. I know as human beings we get emotional sometimes. When someone or some organization that we belong to gets critized (republican party or Democratic party) but please look at the big picture for the sake of future generations. Get outside the box and please look at the entire picture. This is bigger than Obama, McCain, or Hilary. Don't look at the messenger, LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE

August 22, 2008 at 2:35 am |
  28. Francis

I think for America not to start going down. We need Obama to bring our country back to track again. We should all forget dirty politics and listen to him with open mind, you see he will do a great job.McCain can do the job too,but America need Obama right now for our generation to witness a strong America if not China will take over.

August 22, 2008 at 2:34 am |
  29. Herman from Holland

Peoples get the presdident they diserve!!!
    Bush 2000-2004
    Do you feel you diserve the same for the next 4 years? McCain 2008?
    I hope that the American people will see that intelligence is more inportant than experience. Look at J.F. Kennedy and the Cuba crises.

August 22, 2008 at 2:34 am |
  30. kevin

Hillary was robed here!!! If he does'nt pick Hillary for VP I'm not voting!!!
    Its just stupid that he doen'st announce his pick for VP!!!

August 22, 2008 at 2:30 am |
  31. daniel vilca

shame on senator obama trying to mislead the american people from the true issues!! who cares how many mccain or obama have? or if they remenber it, there is a lot of rich americans that have many homes as investments! the true issue here is senator obama is so desperate to increes his rating that he once again make use of dirty and ols politics...talking about a new kind od politician!
    why he dosent talk about his 1.5 million home who he was able to buy only with help of his fiend corrup fundraiser resko, who buy the lot next to obama for this was the only way he could buy it, according to the previous owner the lots were in sell together.
    his lack of carather and constant flip flopps make clear what kind of politician he is.
    senator obama vote for the energy policy act back on 2005, what is this bill? well this bill give billions of dollars in tax cuts to the oil and nuclear power industries....wait a minute!! isnt barack obama now against this tax cuts? isnt he saying this are the bills that damage america? the bill of energy policy act wich he vote in favor of...
    what a flip flopper!
    democratic delegates you still have time to change your vote undo your mistake! the polls are talking america have realize the kind of man senator obama really is. select senator clinton as the candidate!

August 22, 2008 at 2:26 am |
  32. Bam in Australia

It beggars belief that of the 170 odd comments that have been placed prior to mine, a good half of them are apparently from people who seem too stupid to have survived long enough to reach a voting age. I've been watching the news carefully, and was unaware that the current Bush administration had recently opened the doors of its Nasa primate computer studies courses to include the ignorant, xenophobic trash that has been sprouted around some otherwise very articulate, and civil posts.

It's quite simple...your current government will go down in history as the worst administration ever elected to lead the US. Voting Republican again will only make that period in history look worse for those that lived and voted in it; 12 years is not as much a blip as 8.

Do the rest of the world a favour, neuter Lynn and co, and change your administration...

August 22, 2008 at 2:26 am |
  33. Annette, Washington, DC

A thought, you have woman screaming, feminism as if it was the poster comment of 2008 for the Clinton campaign, but you dare not say racism, because no one really wants to think or say this ugly truth about America???

So for all of you, who wonder why Obama is not leading at 10 points etc., think on that truth first?

August 22, 2008 at 1:54 am |
  34. Annette, Washington, DC

The one thing that is apparent is that we have never had a African American compete at this level. Race is a factor that no one wants to really admit too. Comparing Obama with the Clintons, Kerry and Gore is no real comparsion in rural white America. There really is no precedent, so to compare Obama with historical data during this period is fruitless. The media continues to ignore the race issue that is quite apparent in the polling and other statistics.

August 22, 2008 at 1:49 am |
  35. Chris

The last thing Obama needs is to move to simple sentences. It is time for this country to stop acting like immature children and realize that being the smartest kid in the class isn't a bad thing. The president should be intelligent. No more dumbing down the message.

August 22, 2008 at 1:37 am |
  36. Justus

Obama is the man for the job;Opinion can be higher today, lower tomorrow, but cant change the believe we have on this Man, his message of hope just electrifies many, his economic policies are superp, what does McCain have that is different from Bush administration. We are tired of the poor Bush administration and only an intelligent, articulative, careful, strong, young and visionary man can deliver us from this stupefaction!!! Obama is the man!!; it is not about experience, it is about delivery!!!

August 22, 2008 at 1:16 am |
  37. Torrance

Do you actually think that CNN would have told the 'Revealed' Story with any other 'accent' for Obama and against McCain?

What in 1991 became the best alternative and source for world wide information has morphed into a web based version of 'FLASH' rag periodical.

Yellow journalism has returned in force!.

They (media) even cut a deal with GW Bush on agreeing not to show how our men and women, mothers, fathers, daugthers, brothers have been returning home for the final rest.

That's the real shame..the 'poll of polls' is equal to 10 CNN pundits asking 100 different people in order to generate their own headlines.

'The most self recognized experts go hi tech with a 3 D screen and convince the American public that Obama was going to win Ne Hampshire but 'oops'...the voter knew all along who would win.

The caucus's in Texas were packed with Obama voters so Clinton voters couldn't even fit in the building. Answer – voters pick hillary but the 'stacked' caucus's pick Obama.

After the 2000 'recount' debacle that Rove and James Baker 'stacked and rigged' I would never have thought anyone could declare a certified election not to count...WRONG...Howard 'Yeehaw' Dean can...but where were the same 418 lawyers and 1 Supreme Court Judge to protect those poor Floridians this time around..oh..I know..CNN wasn't making it a story so no one else would notice how this election was 'stolen' from America

August 22, 2008 at 1:11 am |
  38. Torrance

America is smart and realizes that it takes experience to lead.

We voted for both Obama and Clinton yet the pundits, CNN, Anderson Cooper, Howard 'Yeehaw' Dean, Nancy 'All guts and nuts' Pelosi and Harry 'In Searchlight of' Reid have told us who they want and even after a certified election in one state and Obama not thinking that Michigan would ever get to vote for him, gave them 1/2 votes to win and now after all have fallen in line with him, wants to give them full votes.

Well, not everyone has fallen in line Hussain. The construtional right to vote is ours, not theirs. Although candidates or super delegates like Richardson can't here or doesn't care about his own constituents who voted for Hillary, we still care.

Although Obama has children and McCain was one once – neither has commited to helping our suffering children's future.

Hillary – we'll wait til 2012 if Obama doesn't realize how to unite the party. He will lose in November and you'll win in 4 yrs and 60 days or so. You'll be that more experienced, will have come thru on your commitments once again, and those who fell in love with a word 'change' will recognize their error and from 2012 to 2020 history with not only a women president but a women vice president is made.

My commitment to you is not to lose focus on who I believe in....who 18 million others believe in and who, like pushing a football over the goal line, want to see you do just that. Please don't give up on our children and we won't give up on you. ...See you in 4 yrs!

August 22, 2008 at 12:59 am |
  39. David

It might be interesting to think that Americans think Obama has been losing because he sounds too smart. It was his oratory that got him here...

“One thing Barack Obama has got to do is move from long paragraphs into simple sentences. ‘Yes We Can’ is a phrase. Now there needs to be meat on the bones and simple sentences that voters in voters in rural areas and suburban areas can understand and say – ‘That is my man.”’

'Yes We Can' got him where he is now with Democrat voters... and now we are still moving into the general election outside of the mainstream of the Dem party and they are starting to think people in rural and suburban areas aren't smart enough to understand more complex issues? Sentences? But he needs their vote!
    Maybe Obama will make the same mistake Kerry made by acting like certain people are idiots. LIke people in the South because they have an accent? When you have to talk down to people that you need to support you, it just might give the sense of elitism... Americans don't like elitism.
    Now there is a difference between someone or something that is elite verses elitism as an attitude. The attitude will lose an election. Americans want an elite president without the attitude. If the American people smell it and it leads them to a particular candidate: August Curse or November Curse. Professor Obama?
    Okay we'll see.

August 22, 2008 at 12:58 am |
  40. Jan

Can't wait for this election to be done with.....In the end we will see how well BHO fares.... I belive the die-hard dems are pissed and are going to see to it that he loses. We watched as the DNC played there games and we lost respect for Dean, Polosi and many of those who thought they could silence our votes – Because of them their candidate can't seem to seal the deal and he can't make 50% of the grade and for all the Clinton haters,,,,there are us Clinton supporters....Even our pastors (Catholic) speak out against putting Obama in the White House and I know our community is in agreement for many reasons. He has not convincedt us catholics, us working middle class americans of who he is, we who believe in the red white and the blue...we don't trust him and no one is going to change our minds...lets see what way the lever swings in Novemeber.
    For all those of you who want to continue the race card think again – I am malotto over 45 and I claim both sides of my heritage, not one or the other , but both I am proud of my entire family- that alone changed my opinion of BHO I thought how petty, then I thought how sad.....

August 22, 2008 at 12:56 am |
  41. Kenny

I didn't think Obama had any chances of winning from the beginning. It was lost even before he announced to everyone that he is going to run for President. And I don't need to explain the reason why. Everyone knows it, just that we don't talk about it.

So, it will be McCain winning it with ease.

August 22, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  42. Zach, Honolulu, HI

look into mcsame's eyes and you will see senility creeping in.
    The same old hackneyed story of the vietnamese guard drawing a cross in the sand, has run out of steam. Its what you see with senile folks in nursing homes, repeating things over and over again, because their brains have lost their synapses. This man will never be able to reason thro issues of vital importance ;Unless he has surrounded himself with a bunch of sychophants like you know who.

August 22, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  43. gl

A lot of people blacks and whites always have negative things to say about an educated black man. It is like for a black man to be education is a curse. It like majority of people think it is a bad thing for a black man to be well educated. It like it is acceptable for a black man to be ingorant and uneducated.

August 22, 2008 at 12:51 am |
  44. lila

Obama should pick hillary.

August 22, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  45. Tricia

Mark in Canada. Canadian borders will be busy in November if Obama doesn't win. I've even heard folks say they will go to Mexico rather than stay in the US. Then there are those who have dual citizenship with other countries, everyone's talking about their exit strategies.

August 22, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  46. Jane

Okay, Canada, you can stay out of this. With the mess going on in your country, so-called bigotry in the US is the least of your worries. I think you need to learn a little more about your own problems before you start trying to make any judgements or statements about ours.

August 22, 2008 at 12:49 am |
  47. Jay

I just want to know what is in the Kool-Aid Obama is giving you? All he does is say "blah, blah, blah, change" and everybody goes crazy at his speeches. He has no substance and no experience.

McCain would not have been my choice for the Republican nomination, but he is a much better choice than Obama.

Go McCain 2008!!!!

August 22, 2008 at 12:47 am |
  48. Jane

It is so funny reading how you liberals write yourselves into believing anything. You are trying your best to write McCain off and it is only a figment of your wild imaginations. The truth of the matter is that the man is neck and neck with Obama and gaining.There is a gang of billionaires in this country supporting Obama and he is doing their bidding already. You people are so clueless. About McCain and his $5 million joke and the houses, I learned a long time ago that liberals have no more of a sense of humor than a bat. The main problem is that you take yourselves entirely too seriously. Whatever you decide to THINK or WRITE is the gospel truth to you. Remember that charity begins at home and Obama has shown absolutely none to his poor, homeless brother. And you liberals are the ones always howling about the poor homeless and saying that people should show more concern for them. There is a really bad disconnect inside you people.

August 22, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  49. Adam in Guam

Hmm, read all of the comments and am very entertained. Let me give you my slightly uninformed opinion, as I have not addictively researched each candidate.

I find both sides that take solely critical positions to be overly harsh. To call Obama an idiot is just ignorant. He was editor of ummm Harvard Law. Having been in the Ivy leagues (I don't mean for this strike as cocky, I'm being honest) lemme put it this way: that's straigt up impressive yo.

McSame, McShame, McBush. Cmon guys, you're letting the Repubs get you to be this emotional? I'll admit it, there's something about McCain's personality (he's a little crazy, huh?) that I almost like.

In general, I find it extremely hard to believe that Obama is the fraud I hear him being mentioned to me. If I am being fooled, I'm sorry. I think he honestly wants to do good by the US, and when he's asked a question he gives it up-front and individual consideration. To be honest, I think he's smarter than McCain, and that alone almost wins him over for me given that I believe he's a patriot.

I'm tired of the world thinking our leader is an idiot. I want change. I hate to echo Obama, but I do! I would vote for Obama if Guamanians could vote.

August 22, 2008 at 12:44 am |
  50. Tricia

Susan of Phoenixville, Pa. Have you bothered to go to Obama's website and read his policies? They are there and the details clearly explained. If you are going to quote Hans Christian Anderson who was Danish, at least be a little more logical, as a Dane would be.

August 22, 2008 at 12:43 am |