August 21st, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Updates

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

YES! They got him.

Police arrested a man they say confessed to mugging an 85 year old woman in an elevator last week, though not before putting her in a choke-hold so he could grab her money. Cornelius Abson was out on parole. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said Abson has 11 prior arrests and has been convicted of similar crimes in the past. Nothing like preying on the elderly.

“A joke that got out of hand.” That’s how the two guys who paraded their photos of Bigfoot describe the recent hoax. They also tell CNN affiliate WSB that the hairy beast was more than a Sasquatch costume; it was a Sasquatch costume (bought online) stuffed with possum roadkill and slaughterhouse leftovers. Hmmm, I wonder why so few people are laughing.

Rick Dyer says everyone should have known it was a hoax from the beginning. "Well, we told 10 different stories," he said. "Everyone knew we were lying." That obvious lie has now cost the other man his police job, and the deceptive duo has hired a lawyer.

“Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.” And the USPS isn’t bluffing. Turns out, reporters aren’t the only ones braving Fay to do their jobs, postal carriers are slogging through their routes, too.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Annie Kate

I'm really glad they caught the guy that robbed that elderly lady – they need to send him off to prison and forget where the key is once he gets in his cell.

I can't believe the guy lost his job over the Bigfoot escapade. I also wonder how the men who did the hoax could stand and smile for the camera with all the roadkill in the box – that had to be really gross.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 21, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Rudy Rawlins, Charlotte Amalie, VI

I have picked my running mate. Michael Oboma!

August 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    We often bash the USPS, but when you think about it, they really do an amazing job most of the time.
    So the bigfoot brouhaha is over and out. Not a moment too soon.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

August 21, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  4. Pam Prudil

Those Big foot Guys, they sure wasted alot of people's time. I wonder if there will be any charges.
    Have a good evening.

August 21, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  5. Megan, Pleasant Valley, NY

The mail system is pretty amazing! I have a friend in the Peace Corps out in Georgia, and even though he and the other volunteers were taken out of the country and to safety a packagae I had sent him a few weeks ago made it to him!

Thanks for making 360 so great!

Megan
    Pleasant Valley, NY

August 21, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  6. Janna

possum roadkill & slaughterhouse leftovers ? Ewwwwwwwww
    ...haven't they ever heard of , um, I don't know, chicken livers or something?

August 21, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  7. GF, Los Angeles

@ Mike in NYC I agree this wasn't the first and won't be the last but at least one more person is taken off the streets for now.

August 21, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  8. Betty Ann , Nacogdoches,TX

Erica!
    Can you believe anyone would mug an elderly woman? That is just enough to make me want to kick his ass. Not that I could, but I would try.
    Seriously, don't you believe that crime is out of control because of the state of the world and the economy?
    Everyone is feeling desperate except for those in the oil and gas business. Ahh, yes our Pres and VP's OTHER career. Go figure~
    Those boys making the Big Foot hoax sure were bored to go to a slaughterhouse for "remains".
    Kind of makes you wonder about a lot of "things" doesn't it? Mama needs to get them a job next summer.
    As for the hurricane, Fay, Fay go away~
    Thanks for the blog sister!
    XXOO

August 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  9. Michelle Fonthill Ont,Canada

Hello Erica
    I'm so glad they arrested that mugger so he'll never hurt ar harm any toher old lady ever again. I love that phony bigfoot it's sure stupid how people will try any means to get attention .

Thanks for your posting Erica
    see you later on 360!
    Michelle

August 21, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  10. Mike in NYC

Re: Mugging

Be a little more sanguine in your celebrations, people.

It sure as hell wasn't the first time an elderly person was mugged here in the supposedly Greatest City in the World, and it definitely won't be the last.

August 21, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  11. Alexander

Erica, well, I am glad they caught that mugger. Good to know that USPS is hard at work through the rain as well, lol. I feel sorry for 'em, though. Good marketing tool, though.: ) Hope your evening is going well, Erica.: )

August 21, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  12. William Courtland

Yep a rib cage for a shin/calf... or was this some other picture?

People and gadgetry together make for a much better living environment... I'd go on but I think I already did and just forgot my name to remember; so its that I think I have already typed it.

August 21, 2008 at 7:11 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Thanks for the update, Erica! I’m glad they got him! Best news I heard all day. I hope his punishment is severe and authorities will think twice before they grant him parole again (if ever).

My hats off to anyone who completes their work, no matter what the weather. For me, if the weather is bad enough, I don’t have to come to the office. I can work at home, which is usually done on the computer, so no excuse for not getting work done (which is fine by me).

See you tonight,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 21, 2008 at 6:44 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Hellooooo Erica!!!!!
    Yes!!!! Thank you!!!! I am so exciting for police caught mugger!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeee! That's good news for old lady and me......... I can't believe this he have 11 times arrested, I thought he supposed to stay jail for long time............. He never charged or fine for 11 prior arrest , how come he didn't back to jail? I hope he will find guilty and back to jail......
    I will be here live blog tonight and program....... See you there!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 21, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  15. Heather

Hello Erica,

I like everyone love your news notes.

I am so glad they caught that creep! I hope he goes away to prison for a long long time.

All I will say about the guys behind Mr Bigfoot is what a bunch of lame losers! I'm glad that guy is going to be out of job.It was total fraud! Who presents the so called Bigfoot crumpled up just laying a what looked like a beer cooler.All those reporters what a waste of their time.If it was a "joke" they could have put all this on the internet. I think they got far more than they bargained for.I guess they wish they were at a undisclosed location.

August 21, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  16. Fay, CA

I'm glad to hear that the person who attacked the elderly lady in New York did not get away with that horrible crime and will now be off the streets, and I hope she'll recover soon from the injuries she received.

August 21, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  17. GF, Los Angeles

Whoo boy I bet Cornelius confessed thinking he'd be safer from vigilante justice if someone recognized him in the streets but he's going to get it in jail once the other inmates find out he beat an elderly woman.

The two guys who came up with the Bigfoot scheme are the jokes and I'm glad one of them lost their job. One word – LOSERS.

I'm actually very sad to learn the high school sophmore killed in Tennesse was targeted by other students because he had a disease that made him bald. How cruel are we and why did school officials do nothing to address it?

August 21, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  18. JC- Los Angeles

Erica, fantatsic news about the police capturing the 85 year old woman's attacker; quick question: was she a classmate of John McCain's?

August 21, 2008 at 6:04 pm |