August 19th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Fay fizzles, but the VP speculation heats up

Morning people...

Tropical Storm Fay, not HURRICANE Fay, made landfall in southwestern Florida early Tuesday, coming ashore at Cape Romano just south of Marco Island...Forecasters immediately dropped hurricane warnings for the storm as it never reached the 74 mph threshold necessary for hurricane status.It was the third landfall for the storm, which came ashore in western Cuba Sunday night and then again over Key West Monday afternoon. This storm doesn't seem to know what it wants to do... Voluntary evacuations were urged Monday evening on Marco Island, a community of about 12,000 people near Naples on southwestern Florida's coast. Fay is expected to continue in a north-northeasterly direction throughout the day, passing near Orlando, and entering the Atlantic as a tropical depression off the coast of northeastern Florida early Wednesday. The biggest concern from Fay is RAIN...Rainfall amounts up to 10 inches are expected across portions of southern and east-central Florida, with 4 to 8 inches elsewhere along the storm's path. Gary Tuchman is near Marco Island, so he will he bring us all the Fay brought Southern Florida tonight....

Onto other news... With the Democratic convention just a week away, the countdown is on for Sen. Barack Obama to make his VP announcement. Some thought is was coming as early as TODAY...If it does, we will bring it to you... While there is a SLIGHT chance Obama could wait until the convention to announce his pick, he's expected to end the guessing game this week... Obama's campaign says that when the senator from Illinois makes up his mind, an alert will be sent to supporters via e-mail and text messages.

On the other side of the aisle, The Politico is reporting that Sen. John McCain plans to celebrate his 72nd birthday on Aug. 29 by naming his running mate at a huge rally in the battleground state of Ohio, Republican sources said. Ohio? Interesting....NOTE: That’s a week from this Friday, and the day after his rival, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, accepts the Democratic nomination at a 70,000-person spectacular in a Denver stadium.

But don't count Hillary out just yet, I know I have used that phrase before...No power brokers in the Democratic Party are openly campaigning for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton as their vice-presidential nominee this year, and even Mrs. Clinton’s closest aides have stopped talking her up. Yet privately, some Democrats continue to see her as exactly the partner that Senator Barack Obama needs. Clinton supporters have tried to make this point in recent weeks, winning language in the party’s convention platform that acknowledged Mrs. Clinton’s history-making candidacy, and praising her as a smart, seasoned policy wonk who could add ballast to Mr. Obama’s message of hope and change. Indeed, a recent New York Times/CBS News poll of convention delegates found that 28 percent preferred Mrs. Clinton for vice president — by far the largest bloc supporting a candidate. AND SHE WASN'T on the list provided by the pollsters, she was a write-in candidate.... Although NOT on anyone's short list, could Obama pick Hillary? Look for that "text" message....

Speaking of Hillary, according to the NY Observer, John McCain is taking a play or two from Hillary... It writes: Hillary Clinton must be feeling John McCain's pain. For months and months she battled against Obamamania - the lofty rhetoric, the swooning girls, the giant crowds and the massive turnout of young people. She tried to mock and belittle his language. (Who can forget the cringe-inducing "Change you can Xerox"?) She tried to raise doubts with the " 3 a.m." ad about Barack Obama's readiness to serve as commander in chief. But in the end she lost. Now McCain is trying his hand, using some of the very same arguments.

We will assemble the best political team in television and chew all of this over tonight...so tune in...

Filed under: T1 • The Buzz
  1. Megan Dresslar

Hi Staff 360,
    I am so glad that isn't hurricane, now is Tropical Storm Fay is safe than Hurricane, I hope that we need to pray for all the state of Florida to take care themselves to find way to look for the shelter during Tropical Storm......... My hearts go to all the state of Florida,

I also agree with both bloggers Mike in NY and Cindy in Ga,
    I am enjoy Cindy's comment that, it was so awesome to stay up for 2 hours..... it is so easy to join to talk their comment and their stories... it was so amazing full 2 hours than before regular hour. I love AC360 Live Blog to write a comment and it was so fun long time!
    I wish I want stay up to join Live Blog for 2 hrs...... I like to say thanks for let me stay late up. I am so enjoy to read their comment!!! Thanks!!!!
    😉
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 20, 2008 at 4:09 am |
  2. Billie Uinderwood

I personally like senator Clinton I think she would make a good vice-president

August 19, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

I hope some of the places in Florida experiencing drought got some rain finally. That would be at least a good thing to come out of Fay.

On the VP- there is only one person that Obama might pick that would make me question who I'm going to vote for but hopefully that person is as unlikely as Hillary – Al Gore. I found it interesting that David Gergen mentioned him last night on the show but Gergen even though he liked the idea seemed to think it was pretty far-fetched. Its going to be surprised to see the VP choices on both sides. This is the first time I can remember where the actual VP candidates can actually make a huge difference as to who votes for whom.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 19, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  4. lampe

Is Michelle going to be POTUS? If she is then she should have been the one to run, not Obama. You want this man to be leader of the USA, but, he can't keep his wife from putting in her 2 cents. If you people wanted a woman running the USA, you should have voted for Sen. Clinton. I hope Obama, doesn't pick Clinton. That way when he loses, he can thank himself and his wife and their followers, Besides the Clinton's are better off, not being involved in this mess anyhow. I hope McCain picks Clinton, as his V.P. What a lovely payback that would be for The DNC.

August 19, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  5. Presley

Isn't the Obama/Clinton notion over idealized at this point?
    It looks good on paper, but IMO and what I "see" they do not fit.

It also carries an affect of novelty over substance.

McCain KNOWS what he has to do to appease the public at large. However what he is going to do, I fear, is appease the cooks in his kitchen.

Floridians at large, PHEEEEW! Now go away Fay.

August 19, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  6. JC- Los Angeles

Regarding Obama's VP selection, I truly believe that Michell Obama has finally made up her mind who will be her husband's running mate.

Michelle, whether you like her or not, is the born leader in the family while her husband is the born faceman and politician.

With Obama lacking experience and tangible accomplishments, the only decision he can positively reference when stumping is his opposition to the Iraq war.

That being said, I tend to think that Michelle Obama will select Wesley Clark as her husband's VP; Michelle realizes this is a once in a lifetime event and needs to go outside the box and end the war.

August 19, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  7. Larry

Who vetted Obama?

August 19, 2008 at 1:19 pm |
  8. DianneB TN

If McCain want ed to get Bin Liden so bad why haven't done anything or talked about before now. He only talked about Iraq. He should have start follow him to the gates of hell before now. I really think he is only saying things to get votes. He should have start his hunt for Bin Liden before now.

August 19, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  9. Susan

Senator Obama seems to wants to pick a VP that he will feel comfortable working with. Something tells me that he will go with someone who has not recently been mentioned in the top tier.
    During the cival forum over the weekend, Senator Obama stated that he would be seeking out the advise of former Senator Sam Nunn. He is no longer in the Senate ( an outsider now ), but was head of the Senate Armed Services Committee. This give Senator Obama the expertise on the ticket that he needs in foreign policy. Senator Nunn
    also seems to be an easy going guy that would complement
    Senator Obama's personality. Senator Joseph Biden ( even though very experienced ) in foreign policy has been around Washington for a long time and goes against Senator Obama's desire to get away from Washington insiders. He ( Senator Biden ) seems like a hot head whose run off at the mouth on several occasions. He also has some issues with plagerizing a speech that he made which helped fail his own Presidential ambitions. The rest of the top tier contenders really do not have the experience that Senator Obama needs to round out his ticket.

Susan
    Pheonixville,PA

August 19, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  10. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

I still think that Hillary Clinton would be the best choice for vice president. However, I am not sure that the bad blood between these two is over. Also, having Bill Clinton in the mix might not sit well with Obama. She looks like a long shot right now, but I still think it would be a really smart move for Obama and would go a long way toward uniting the Democratic party.

All of the others on the so-called "short list" each have weaknesses. Richardson is a minority and I don't think two minorities will work on one ticket. I also dislike the way he turned on the Clintons and announced his support for Obama. Joe Biden is a brilliant man with a lot of experience, but he is a Washington insider and Obama is running as the candidate of change. Also, Biden does have a tendency to get carried away and end up making verbal gaffes. The governor of Virginia doesn't have a lot of experience.

I just hope Obama makes a good choice that will give him momentum going into the convention. This is the first big decision he will make as a presidential candidate and everyone will be watching.

August 19, 2008 at 11:20 am |
  11. Heather,Ca,US

I don't know how they do it in Florida.Then again I'm sure they say the same about those of us who live in California with earthquakes and fires.I do like how organized they are.

I always have liked Joe Biden's honesty.He has been in D.C.a long time.He is also realistic and practical.It would make perfect sense for Obama to pick him for VP.I think by sending him to Georgia on his behalf says everything for now.

August 19, 2008 at 11:17 am |
  12. Rita Bunton

In all these years, I've never heard anyone press McCain on his faith. No tough questions. No follow ups. All we hear is the story of his POW experience of 40 years ago. Can we move on to the 21st century issues now?

The media has given John McCain a pass on every issue that has come up, even though it is clear to most people that he is a mean old man who is out of touch with reality and who is still fighting the Viet Nam War. Most things he says includes the words: war, victory, defeat, terrorism, Islamic extremists, etc.

And if he uses the phrase, "I will follow Osama Bin Laden to the gates of Hell..." one more time I think I'll get sick.

Come on Anderson Cooper. Don't let this confused old man get away with not having to answer the tough questions. The well being of our country depends on it.

August 19, 2008 at 10:58 am |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I agree with Cindy's comment that 2 hours live is a lot better, and provides for more in depth coverage of stories.

Hopefully some of Fay's rain will hit northern FL and GA, which have been suffering from a drought.

If Obama doesn't shore up his foreign policy credentials, he's toast. Georgia has reminded us that we live in a dangerous world, and rock star appearances like Berlin just won't cut it. We need someone with serious qualifications, not fluffy rhetoric. Hillary doesn't check that box.

August 19, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  14. deborah, OH

Morning, Anderson.
    Thankfully, Fay has not done much, except RAIN.
    McCain will announce his VP choice in Ohio?–wow, that's interesting–will have to find out where.
    Obama needs to be very careful about his VP choice–I still think Hillary is best, but know that's a looong shot–but as you know, ANYTHING can, & usually does, happen in the political arena.

Have a good day, Anderson, & all!

August 19, 2008 at 9:53 am |
  15. Steve, Boston

If he chooses Joe "Windbag" Biden, I'm voting Republican for the first time in my life. What a mistake. It would confirm for me that he has no sound judgment.

Chuck Hagel would be the ideal choice.

August 19, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  16. Dolores, Austin Texas

Morning Anderson, It's finally raining here in Austin Texas, YIPPEE-KAY-AY-YEA!. I hope Senator Obama picks Senator Joe Biden as his running mate, he was my second choice after Senator Clinton. Have a great day Anderson.

August 19, 2008 at 9:02 am |
  17. KJ Western, MA

VP choice

Obama needs to choose carefully, as we all know. Hillary is a great choice, but can the bad blood between Obama and Hillary be fixed? I think yes, but I do think Michelle will have a problem with it. However, why should she? As Obama would be the President and not Hillary.

Who I think is a big mistake is the Gov. from New Mexico. He turned on Hillary after being a friend (more like part of the family). This would leave Hillary supporters a little ticked off. This might be a problem.

August 19, 2008 at 8:29 am |
  18. Cindy

Thankfully Fay stayed a tropical storm and didn't turn into a hurricane. I just hope now that there is no flooding or tornadoes and the people of Florida get off easy this time.

I expected Obama to tell his VP choice sometimes this week before next weeks convention starts. I think it'll be someone that no one expects. But I don't think it will be Hillary at all.

I also thought that McCain would wait until after the Dem convention to tell his VP choice so the 29th sounds about right also. He needs to take the spotlight away from them by waiting until then.

I have to say that I loved 360 going live for the full two hours. I hope that will become a regular thing again as it was before. Campbell did an awesome job!

Cindy...Ga.