August 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/18/08

For what’s in the program at 10p ET take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

At 11p ET we’ll have an in-depth look at Pastor Rick Warren's Saddleback Civil Forum on the Presidency.  You’ll hear what the candidates were asked and how they answered.  We want to know what you think so we’re keeping the live blog open until 12a ET.

Anderson is off tonight.  Campbell will be filling in.  You can get a behind the scenes look at her on our live web camera from the 360° studio.   LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast.  LINK TO THE WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

Steady 60mph winds for hours, that's still a strong storm. I agree with Chad Myers, go up there Fay and replenish the reservoirs, odd to say, I guess. Wishing everyone in the path of the storm well. Take care Gary Tuchman

August 18, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  2. Rose from Southern Calif

Poor guy I hope he is o.k? Boarding when its too windy. I will be praying for this young man.

August 18, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

I wonder if he can play the kite? that is so dangerous for big hurricane Fay cause more wind, can more hurt, don't take at home..... that is so danger......

August 18, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  4. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

The kite-boarding guy couldn't have weighed more than 225. Police should do a better job with keeping folks off our beaches during storms.

August 18, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  5. Kenny

Campbell I just saw the guy Kite Boarding on your show. What would make a guy do something like that in that kind of weather?

August 18, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  6. Tyler M (Bentonville, AR)

Wow... Kite-boarding in that?!! I thought I was an adrenaline junkie! That's just sick!

August 18, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  7. Dave, Orlando Florida

I may not think the hurricane will do too much damage here but I am certainly NOT gonna sleep thru it.

August 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm not sure it's good that the kite borader survived. He'll pass his stupidity on to the next generation.

August 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  9. ericacnn

i can't believe this kite-boarding footage. it is so dangerous in normal conditions, let alone a near-hurricane...amazing that he is ok

August 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  10. Patricia

Obviously, from my last post. I agree with Obama. McCain wants to legislate his morality. That scares the B'gezuz out of me!

August 18, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  11. Kenny

Sounds like TS Fay is going to be a WHIMP. My concern is what it is going to do if it crosses out into the Atlantic and reforms and moves up the coast.

August 18, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  12. Gina - Missouri

Extra prayers for those in the Keys. Gary does a great job covering in such extreme conditions.

August 18, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

That is so scary for me to watch Gary is standing up reporting from Tampa... That is so horrible mess and destory things, cars, building and etc.........

August 18, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  14. Mary

It would be difficult to live your home, I don't know if I would want to wait out the storm either. Hope all is OK with everyone there. Haiti didn't fair too well it sounds.

August 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  15. Cindy

So we are getting a live two hour show? That is cool but I wish we'd get it every night. When if ever will that happen?

Cindy...Ga.

August 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  16. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Oh, we're hanging out all night, Erica. Don't worry.

August 18, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  17. Hannah Storm

whoa.....so much for an early night Erica 🙂

August 18, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary's violating the curfew! He may get more breaking news than he counted on!

August 18, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  19. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Megan's no independent thinker. She changed her voting status as a gift for her dad. Where's the independent, creative thinking in that?

August 18, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  20. Linda DiBartolo

Great show tonight.

It will definitely be a tight race.

August 18, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  21. ericacnn

hey, everyone , dont go away – the live blog is up until 12a tonight, hope you'll be with us!

August 18, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Great profile by Gary! How can I not like Megan McCain, she is an Independent thinker and we both studied Art History!

August 18, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  23. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Wow! What an electrifying flight!

August 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  24. Rose from Southern Calif

Night Campbell the Magham McCain story bored me to sleep night all.

August 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  25. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What a shot of the day! Dangling by the seat of your pants. They are a whisker away from a big plunge. Good Monday evening

August 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  26. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I'm sorry to say this about Ms. McCain, but get the glasses, the earrings, the makeup, the dyed hair. Can you say priveleged? Why isn't she working?

August 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

I am afraid of that small plane caught up phone line, I hope 2 people are safe right now. Day of the shot with small plane....

August 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Right on Jane!

August 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  29. David, Indiana

Nice webcast Erica, I'm glad I finally caught one. Those beat 360 shirts are hot items. Truly funny beat 360 caption tonight

August 18, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  30. Mick Yuille

@CaseyJ, I know that the abortion policy has been taken care of in the courts, but there also other decisions that Obama will need to make if he is the president and at that point he just can't say it is above my pay grade.

August 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Maureen in australia

As an outsider my opinon was that Obama was more sincere in his answers.McCain seemed a bit more rigid.
    what surprised me most was when he said Yes and Yes before the
    question about the teachers was asked . Any one else notice that?

August 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  32. jane

Obama understands the complexity of questions he is asked. His answers ring true and thoughtful. That is the kind of leader I want. McCain appeals to those who want simple answers and worn out platitudes. Those who deny global warming and love to fight wars. America deserves more than the same oh same oh.

August 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Gina - Missouri

That they rescued the folks in that plane seems a miracle, I can't wait to see how they did it.

August 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Dave, Orlando Florida

I do not think the hurricane Fay will be that severe. Things just a bit windy in Orlando So far. But I am not going outside to do the reporting though.

August 18, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  35. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Mick..."Tony Perkins is exactly right when he said that if Obama can’t make a decision about when a baby has rights, he shouldn’t be president."

These are not decisions or questions for a president. These are questions for the courts, who have already decided.

August 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

That is amazing, no deaths or injuries reported in the grand canyon flooding.

August 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Donny

Jo Ann, Iam wondering why McCain had a war story stump pretty much after every question. He couldn't just answer the questions straight out. A couple of them he did, but not most of them.

August 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  38. Rose from Southern Calif

What is middle class or being rich or just being dirt poor? I don't think McCain's daughter knows. Why can John McCain know the differents?

August 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Wow! they are lucky to be alive to escape keep away its flood.

August 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Whitney...You are correct...No, McCain di not answer the what amount means rich, and he can't if he wants to get any of the middle as he is a clone of Bush on the ecdonomy and taxes and he knows it, so he made a joke instead of answering, though in that answer/joke there was truth according to his policies!

August 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Gina - Missouri

I am praying for those folks in the Grand Canyon...That environment is intimidating enough without a flood...

August 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Mick

Tony Perkins is exactly right when he said that if Obama can't make a decision about when a baby has rights, he shouldn't be president. When your president, you need to make very tough decisions very fast, and you can't say it's above my pay grade.

August 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  43. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Erica-Who actually votes on who wins Beat 360?

August 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Eric, Obama's responses were the same old rhetoric as well.

August 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Marcus

It is above Obama's pay grade!!

The issue of abortion is more the decision of the the potential Mother's and her God, than "We The People." I think that's current the law.

I thought McCain want's less government????

M.McCoy

August 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

A baby whale lost in the ocean. That's a big place for even a baby whale.

August 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Eric Walker

The only reason Obamas answers are being picked apart is because he actually answered the questions being asked. John McCain answered all of the questions with stump speech mambo jumbo. We that watch the news everyday have heard those stories in every speech he gives. Are there rules to being good journalist ? Analyze McCain's responses, you can't. I do not expect you guy's to take sides, but how about evaluating both candidates equally.

August 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Shannon

@Lou, I couldn't agree with you more. Obama simply meant that people have fought for decades over this question and there is no easy answer, it is perspective. The pay grade comment was referred to him not being God and having type of arrogance to think he has the finite answer on this issue. Tony Perkins was out of line.

August 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Gina - Missouri

I pray that Pakistan's people can elect a sensible person to lead their country, the last thing we need is another extremist in the area...

August 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  50. ericacnn

Mary, I love that book – as does my son.

August 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |