August 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/18/08

For what’s in the program at 10p ET take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

At 11p ET we’ll have an in-depth look at Pastor Rick Warren's Saddleback Civil Forum on the Presidency.  You’ll hear what the candidates were asked and how they answered.  We want to know what you think so we’re keeping the live blog open until 12a ET.

Anderson is off tonight.  Campbell will be filling in.  You can get a behind the scenes look at her on our live web camera from the 360° studio.   LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast.  LINK TO THE WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gina - Missouri

I don't think McCain had the questions ahead of time. I think Obama did as good as expected... John McCain just did so much better than expected since his "expected" was so low to start with...

August 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Mary

Hey David, I welcome more of your thoughts on that. I thought that it may have shaken things up a bit to here all of the complaining about Senator McCain cheating.

August 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Joe

Hi,
    I am a life long Democratic and usually the vice presidential pick doesn't matter for me, but this year the vice presidential pick will be the deciding factor for me. I like Mr. Obama, but he lacks the national and international political experience.

Joe

August 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Karin - Canada

While I often agree with Mr. Gergen, the difference between the two candidates are glaring given the depths of their answers. Given the "right" answer to a mainly evangelical audience is exactly what Sen. McCain had on hand ... no surprise there aside that those stump responses have been heard before in front a "friendly" audience.

August 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Rose from Southern Calif

David Gergen I haven't yet known a honest candidate, oh, Jimmy Carter.

August 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. ericacnn

Whitney, glad to hear all is well outside your window right now – and I hope it stays that way!

August 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

David, I totally agree with you, it would not have made a difference if McCain did get the questions ahead of time. It is now time for those joint town hall meetings where everything can be totally on the up and up and the voters will have an opportunity to make a real comparison between the two candidates. The American people are entitled to it.

August 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Amy Fanning

Dear Campbell - We just heard the strengthening speculation that Senator Joe Biden may be the VP choice by Barak Obama. Two words come to mind - Anita Hill. As life-long democrats we would be very, very disappointed if Senator Biden is chosen. Not only for his role in the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings, but because his is too old....too old school and really brings nothing of the sort of energy that we have come to love about Barak Obama. We think he should be leaning more towards and Evan Bayh.

August 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. kim-chicago

Sorry David but I really think John McCain's new campaign "surge" is just a little too scary for many people. To me he seems aggressive, impulsive and undisciplined.

August 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  10. ericacnn

helloooo, bloggers! hope you all had a restful weekend

August 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Shannon

Mike if this is true about Obama, why hasn't McCain announced his pick? His people have said for some time he has decided. Is McCain playing theatre too?

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Frank, El Dorado Hills CA

David Gergens post highlights a characteristics that differentiates those that respond based on a core belief and those that respond based on political calculation.

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Mary

Erica, this is the first time I have gotten this to work. This Rocks.

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Mike in Cali

Hi Erica. Dig your webcast.
    It is great to see Campbell host the show.

Obama/Biden will be very cool

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Cindy

David...I totally agree with you...the dems and Obama supporters need to stop worrying about if McCain had the questions beforehand and worry about what is going wrong with Obama's campaign. They need to stop blaming everyone but him.

Cindy...Ga.

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar

Whitney in Florida,
    Great! (thump up)

August 18, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Jolene

Hi David Gergen: Well said. I watched LKL and I don't believe that McCain had an upper hand and knew the questions in advance. It really is about how they answered the questions anyway. Thanks for blogging!

August 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David G. I agree. The Obama supporters can't accept that McCain just scored more points than Obama, so they claim he cheated. They'll probably claim that in Nov. too when Mccain wins.

August 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Shannon

Personally, Mr. Gergen. I couldn't disagree with you more and I usually agree with you. I found Obamas answers to be thoughtful and very well framed. They were not his usual stump responses, whereas everything that McCain said was expected and straight from his campaign rhetoric. Including his desire to hunt Osama Bin Laden down. I can see why some people thought he did well style wise but substance wise it was the same things he has always said and nothing new.

August 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  20. William Noel

Campbell,

After those pictures of the kiteboarder on Miami Beach and his dramatic falls. I was thinking "Ouch! He had to break something." They you said there was "breaking news" coming up. Bad pun, Campbell. So bad ithurt.

August 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Cool!!!!! Erica asked Anderson for interview!!!!!! 😉
    And I think I can is my choice will be Joe Biden or Bayh.

August 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  22. chris, Baltimore, Md

good evening everyone. i can't seem to get the live web cams. are they not streaming tonight or is it just me?

August 18, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary is doing the dirty work again! He is so dedicated!

August 18, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Lesli

I'm waiting with baited breath for these VP picks.

It seems to have been going on forever.

August 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Yes, we are Megan. We're expecting more rain but that's about it.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

Hi Campbell, Erica, fellow bloggers. Horrifying video of the kiteboarder. Hope he recovers well from his injuries. I don't know what Fay is going to do. I hope it doesn't wrack up florida, but instead heads up as a rainmaker into northern Georgia and the drought suffering Southeast.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Frank, El Dorado Hills CA

Picking a VP earlier would help step on his poor performance over the weekend.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama needs to have his theatre. If he's decided on a VP, get on with it already.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Mary

Front runners? I hope that it will be soon. I wonder if the forum had any impact? The decision might have been made awhile ago too.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Barack's VP choice could be critical.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. David Gergen

Hello everyone - A little earlier today, I posted a blog here on the AC 360 site about the latest in politics, arguing that suddenly and unexpectedly, the John McCain campaign is catching hold - and that for the first time, it appears that he could indeed win. Saturday night at Saddleback Church should have served as a wake-up call to the Obama campaign.

All day, folks have been speculating on whether McCain did so well as Saddleback because he had the questions in advance (unlike Obama). I didn't have a chance to watch Larry King interview Rick Warren tonight but from comments earlier in the day, I personally trust that John McCain and his troops are telling the truth when they said that they didn't. There is an even larger point that is important here: having worked with candidates in the past, I can tell you that even if he did have an early peek, that didn't make that much difference. McCain was on fire that night and Obama wasn't. What this means to me is that Democrats should stop worrying about whether McCain had the questions - and I don't think he did - they need to start thinking a lot more about how to forge back in front again. John McCain is moving now.

August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Whitney in Florida,
    That is good news......... I hope you are safe right now in your hometown......

August 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes! I hope Fla is ok. We go to Sarasota every year and my folks are buried in Tampa. I hope everyone follows the warnings.

August 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Shannon

I am hoping Obama chooses Tim Kaine!!! This would be a GREAT pick!

August 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Rose from Southern Calif

I know what you mean Casey, living here in California you get use to it, I did. But Hurricane I don't understand why people live there.

August 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Lesli

Now that's a really dumb thing to do. What was he thinking.

Doesn't he know not to fly a kite in a storm!

August 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Oh.....my......God. What a nut job. Did he think he could fly (successfully)?

August 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Shannon

I am glad that I don't have Gary's job. I stay away from hurricanes.

August 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Saera El Paso, TX

why would anyone fly a kite in a hurricane?

August 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Karin - Canada

Cindy .... it's all a matter of perspective who "won" and who "lost".... after all people are to judge for themselves instead of listening of the analysts of the media outlets.

August 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Mike in NY
    I agree with you, I am really nervous about Gary Tuchman, he is standing hold on during hurricane.

August 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Whitney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Hi everybody. All is OK on the Florida east coast in Fort Lauderdale. It's calm outside my doors for now.

August 18, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Good evening!

August 18, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

I could never understand why people would PLAN a vacation in Florida, during hurricane season. I guess it's an economic variable. I have to admit, I HAD to be in FLL during a hurricane once and I was scared to death. At least with an earthquake it hits and it's over.

August 18, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Cindy

So is Gary our hurricane man now!? I hope he and the people of Florida stay safe.

Cindy...Ga.

August 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Poor Gary Tuchman. He's water logged. But he always does a great job.

August 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Wow, Gary gets all the fun assignments. Floods, hurricanes, etc. I'd ask for a raise.

August 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Ken in NC

Good evening Campbell, Erica and all best bloggers. Hope we have a great night tonight. Lots of things happening in the world this weekend. Good to have you back Campbell.

August 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo Campbell, Erica and best bloggers!!!!
    what treat for full 2 hours......... I am exciting stay up right now........ 😉

August 18, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Cindy

Evening Campbell. Great to have you back!

It seems that the forum with Rick, McCain and Obama did nothing but cause more trouble. It seems Obama's people can't take the truth that he had an off night and are trying to blame everyone else but him.

Cindy...Ga.