August 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 8/18/08

For what’s in the program at 10p ET take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

At 11p ET we’ll have an in-depth look at Pastor Rick Warren's Saddleback Civil Forum on the Presidency.  You’ll hear what the candidates were asked and how they answered.  We want to know what you think so we’re keeping the live blog open until 12a ET.

Anderson is off tonight.  Campbell will be filling in.  You can get a behind the scenes look at her on our live web camera from the 360° studio.   LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And don’t forget to watch Erica Hill’s webcast.  LINK TO THE WEBCAST

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 12a ET.

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar

Good night Campbell, Erica, and best bloggers!!!!
    Have a great night!!!!! Sleep tight!!!! 🙂
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    I had a fun 2 hours long live blog tonight! and thanks for let me stay up!

August 18, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  2. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Unfortunately, we can't keep taxes low now that we've had eight years of Bushanomics. John McCain needs to get off this soap box, because lower taxes are no longer a reality. John McCain can include himself on the pay raise and vacation comment. He is not immune–he is part of the problem.

August 18, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

I thought McCain's answer to the evil question was kind of simple, too, but he shows his determination. One good thing about a back and forth debate, they get into the what's good about their own position, but I liked this forum I have to say.

I liked Obama's answer to the question of what qualifies as rich, it's sensible, top 3-4% of income.

August 18, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  4. Kenny

Campbell, this going to midnight is cool but I got to work in a few hours so you guys have fun and good night to all bloggers and see you tomorrow night.

August 18, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't think that McCain should have just associated evil in terms of war. Evil takes many forms and is seen in many places. There is evil all over the world. There is evil in places like China, Africa, and even in the US, not just in the Middle East.

August 18, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Stacy

I think it's really sad that McCain is still using rhetoric like he'll "follow Bin Laden to the gates of hell." It sounds way too much like, "bring them on." And he wonders why he's called McSame.

August 18, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  7. Mary

Thanks for a great show!

August 18, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  8. Gina - Missouri

Obama's response to the "Evil" question was so much more thought out than McCain's same old "I'm going to get him" answer...

August 18, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Ouch for Gary!!!!! I hope he will be alright when he is alive during hurricane Fay........ I hope he will be safe!

August 18, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I feel so badly for that poor baby whale. He must be so frightened. I wish there was something they could do to save him.

August 18, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

Well said Gary Tuchman, rough 1st decade fo the 21st century. They might be weathering the storm in Florida, but you still have to take shelter.

August 18, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I trust Gary's opinion, he has been in enough hurricanes to know!

August 18, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  13. Cindy

Poor Gary!! He got stuck with Coop's old job!!

Cindy...Ga.

August 18, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Poor baby whale, thought that boat its mom....... I hope he is doing ok..
    Can baby whale go to back to ocean or somewhere else?

August 18, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  15. Kathy, Chicago

Poor Gary-it's not even a fierce storm, just lots of rain. We were spoiled last year, not any big storms.

August 18, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  16. Mary

Does any one know what the Hurricane season is predicted to be like? Gary, find cover.

August 18, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  17. chris, Baltimore, Md

oooh...I hope Gary is alright. that rain was pelting him hard.

August 18, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  18. Danita

I think that perhaps Pator Warren should have had the actual coin toss at the begining of the broadcast (like they do at every NFL football game) and then had MccCain enter an actual silence booth, much like past Miss America contestants.

August 18, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

@Hannah, I thought both Obama and McCain were surprisingly candid on the question of moral failing in their lives

August 18, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  20. Tyler M (Bentonville, AR)

I think both gentlemen (Obama & McCain) did great. It showed their personalities and political/moral standing. Thanks for airing it!

August 18, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  21. Dee F

Sonia I agree with you. A lot of anecdotes were given by Senator McCain not in depth answers. But, he also came across more comfortable and prepped.

August 18, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

It is a late night, I wondered if you guys were really going till 12. Kite boarding not for the faint of heart, and that wasn't even the heart of the storm was it?

August 18, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  23. Danita

I agree Jane. McCain answered quickly and seemed eager to fight evil. However as an evangelical christian, I must say that his quick answer to Pastor Warrens' question "what his faith meant to him?"..was interesting. The story he gave was very interesting and kept your attention, but by the end of it I felt that he did not answer the question. He danced around it, which doesn't sit right with me. Am I alone in this one?

August 18, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  24. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The bottom line, the Obama supporters and McCain supporters feel their candidate did the best in the forum. It will be that way for every debate and every turn until November.

August 18, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This paygrade answer is an evasion. Obama was asked his opinion. He may not know for a certainty when life begins, but he certainly has an opinion. It sounds like his opinion is no opinion.

August 18, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  26. sonia

I agree Obama seemed more sincere, he gave thoughtful answers to complicated issues that required more than a simple answer. Watching the interviews I felt like McCain gave the crowd what they wanted to hear, without heart.

August 18, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  27. Mary

I think that Senator Obama is a very good speaker but he seems uncomfortable in answering these questions.

August 18, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

Whitney in Florida,
    I agree with you, that is so danger....... don't play with boardkite too scary for me to watch.

August 18, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  29. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

@Cindy, Barack Obama certainly didn't "please everyone" at the forum, nor did I get the sense that he was trying to–there was no way he could.

August 18, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  30. Cindy

While both men did OK in the forum with Rick Warren, McCain was much more at ease and answered as to what his values are. Obama had to stammer about and think of what to say to try to please everyone.

Cindy...Ga.

August 18, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  31. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Obama spoke about his moral failure in depth and with humility and then about a wide range of Americas. McCain gave a one sentence anser and then turned the Americas part into more stump speech. Why is it McCain on his biggest moral failure stated flatly how he handled the end of his first marriage when that handling of the end of his marriage was a simple standard divorce, but the long-term cheating on his first wife with Cindy while his first wife was going through rehabilitation for a horribly disfiguring accident and then dumping that first wife who was trying to recuperate from a horribly disfiguring accident for a twenty some years younger than him wealthy beer Barons daughter would seem to be the truth since that is all factually what happened.

August 18, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  32. Hannah Storm

i think McCain could have expanded alittle more on his answer for his biggest moral failure. Obama just explained his answer the question better in my opinion

August 18, 2008 at 11:11 pm |