August 6th, 2008

The Shot: Guinea Pig Festival

The annual Guinea Pig Festival in Peru doesn't turn out so well for the guinea pigs.

Filed under: The Shot
  1. Cheyla

Mahatma Gandhi said it best, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." I think the guinea pig murders and Americans both have a very long way to go!!

August 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  2. Kim

I have two guinea pigs. I don't give a rat's patootie about the stereotypical "different strokes" cultural blather. Let those savages take a shot at Moose and Duck, and we'll see who ends up in the frying pan. Part of the problem is this: if it's an animal you're planning to eat, treat it with respect, but don't play with it and cuddle it. That encourages the animal to trust you– i.e., to become a pet. Eating pets is murder, and the creatures eating those guinea pigs are filthy human trash.

August 7, 2008 at 9:33 pm |
  3. miguel

Guinea Pigs are from PERU. They were bred for the sole purpose of being a food source. I bet most of you don't even know where chickens originated from and it isn't PERU! If Peru had chickens back in the day, then I am sure the Guinea pigs would have escaped the stigma of being a food source. Stop judging others. It's not like they are cats, dogs, or horses. Those are man's real best friends. Without the companionship of those critters we would still be living in caves eating worms and bugs. My family is from Peru and I have eaten cuy (as we call it) on many occasions. And it is absolutely delicious! way better than rabbit. OOPs I'm sorry did I offend someone because I find rabbits very tasty too? Westerners have been eating rabbits forever. How is that any different? Hypocrites! AC you disappoint me!

August 7, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  4. Jolene

Let's face it, different cultures eat different types of food. I can appreciate that whether I agree with the the type of animal targeted as the feast or not. However, this particular shot was presented as though it was going to be fun, cute, and lighthearted. It ended up being more of a shock and awe. If anything, the viewers should at least been warned, especially knowing that Guinea Pigs are pets in many American households.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 7, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  5. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

They care for them, keep them clean, love them and even dress them then EAT them? Their children better watch their back. BAD KARMA!

August 7, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  6. Sequoia

its funny how once someone else eats meat, 'its just wrong' but u can continue to eat meat in ur daily lives. Every culture is different and unique. but u cant simply just criticize others and be a complete hypocrite urself. i understand that the reporters are saying how its wrong to dress it up and enjoy the festival and then eat that animal but still. how is it any different from eating the animal in the first place?
    the fact that these reporters are disgusted by the fact that these ppl can dress the creatures up and then eat them is completely absurd compared to the concept of being disgusted at eating meat in the first place.

August 7, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  7. calandra8

It may be a part of their culture- but it is still sick...the way they parade them around only to eat them? The standard belief is that humanity is progressing in a positive way- but I know that to be untrue. Its disgusting – what if it were cats or dogs (to those of you who criticize the critics) would that be okay because it was a "ritual"? These are thinking, loving living animals and humanity makes a mockery of it..killing animals for food or shelter if it is absolutely necessary and done with the respect of nature is the nature of the beast so to speak, but killing them for the joy of doing so in the name of some festival or ritual leads us back to the dark ages...makes me ill to consider the reality of human nature, we are the flawed species!

August 7, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  8. charlotte capan

ok, that is just sick and wrong. What in the "hay" are these people thinking? Apparently, that they would make a good entree. Saw the segment last night on 360 and could not beleive the outcome. Glad to be living in the US..

August 7, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  9. elaine c., philadelphia, pa

My dear little niece is 9 years old and was adopted from Equador as an infant. Since she is not getting a dog anytime soon, so she has set her sites on a less demanding pet lately– mice. I had read that guinea pigs are a large part of the culture in that part of South America, including Equador, so I have been trying to sway her attention in that direction.

The shot started out unbelievably perfect for such an unusual situation. "Wow, Andrea will love this!! I'll email it to her first thing tomorrow." Of course, I had to laugh, no sooner did the thought enter my head when the scene suddenly degraded into skewered, roasting rodents on the barbaque pit. -- Scratch that idea.

August 7, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  10. joanne-calgary ab

I have a friend from Equador that told me years ago that guinea pigs were eaten, and although he had never eaten one , his parents have eaten them
    It did bother me to watch this, thinking they looked so cute in there little costumes, knowing they were about to become dinner.
    I have two guinea pigs and can't imagine eating a family pet, but there are those in our culture that eat rabbit.. and Thumper is pretty cute too.

August 7, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  11. Marian

I do not think the guinea pig and turtle shots were at all humerous and am sad that Anderson seems to think these shots are funny. In fact the guinea pig segment was pretty disgusting no matter what the culture is. As for the turtle shot, it was no more than an ignorant hillbilly mistreating a helpless turtle. As said, I fail to see the humor in either shot. You possibly can do better than this!

August 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  12. Billius

Oh boy, this is the greatest thing ever. Seriously now, you can't make this stuff up. I almost wish I could afford to make the trip to Peru to see this.

Seriously though, come on, its a different culture, not terribly shocking really. I know we Americans love our pets, but really, eating a guinea pig isn't that bizarre... And as someone else said, at least they're treated well before they're cooked. I'd rather eat a dressed up guinea pig than "tortured baby cow" (veal) any day.

August 7, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  13. Bonnie

A visiting teacher at my daughter's school was just as shocked when my daughter took her guinea pig to school and discovered that said guinea pig was a coveted pet. Different cultures collide and learn!

August 7, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  14. Ruby

First, Guinea pig in Peru is like chicken in the US.
    People think bad that their food is dressed up before eaten, but hey, at least its not raised in a battery cage, treated like garbage, then slaughtered and sent to the store, later to be glorified on our dinner plates.
    I would rather eat meat where they took care of the animal than eat the diseased stuff from our great corporate farms here in the US.

I would say Peru is obviously still in tune with their food, unlike the people here that have no clue whats happens to their own.

Dressed up G. pig is better than battery cage chicken anyday!

Bad reporting, IMO, on a culture that is just different than our own.

August 7, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  15. Jo Ann

I can’t say that I appreciated this “Shot.” First you showed the turtle guy abusing turtles and now this guinea pig story. Why do you find it funny when people murder animals? I may be a little more sensitive than most to animal suffering because I am a vegetarian and have a great interest in animal rights, but when you laugh at the fact that an animal is killed for food do you ever stop to think how that animal is put down so that it is safe to eat? Maybe you should do an investigative report on it; you might be surprised at how brutal it really is.

I know that 360 has done many wonderful stories on animals and I always believed that Anderson was a true animal lover so I was saddened to see him laugh at these sick stories. Maybe I am missing something, but I’d be interested in knowing why he found these two stories funny. The death and suffering of any animal for any reason should never be trivialized. I am sure that most of your viewers will take issue with what I have said because they almost always agree with what Anderson says and does, but I don’t share his seemingly heartless sense of “humor.”

I hope that you will reconsider before you treat the death of animals with such disdain again.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

August 7, 2008 at 1:47 pm |
  16. Paul

Can you imagine eating your pet cat or dog? I know it is just a rodent but still. There is something about dressing it up that makes it wrong. I love steak, but I would not want to see it in a dress before I eat!!

August 7, 2008 at 1:30 pm |
  17. V

It isn't even so much the source of the food that is odd, I think it's more the dressing up of the food before it's eaten! I realize that we eat things that others don't, but I can't recall ever dressing up a cow in clothing and hats before I ate it! I think it's neat to see how other cultures work, though, I'm sure there is a deep history behind the ritual of the ceremony.

August 7, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  18. frank

AC "that's just wrong!"
    too bad you couldn't say that all those years that Bush was bombing civilians and conducting illegal wars hmmm AC?
    but eating guineau pigs is just wrong...

August 7, 2008 at 1:15 pm |
  19. rasputin

How very American. "It's terrible" says AC. Why does this country have the need and the urge to be critical and condescending to other cultures. It is for this exact behavior that more than half the world's population hates us and is determined and working hard on harming us and our interests.
    Typical American, we don't do it so it must be wrong!

August 7, 2008 at 12:49 pm |
  20. Jonny Starr

How can you critcize a different culture? We do some pretty odd things as well...In India they dont eat cows...its sacred!

Don't knock it until you try it!

August 7, 2008 at 12:25 pm |