August 6th, 2008

PLANET IN PERIL: Battle Lines – 'Endangered great white sharks'

Check out the amazing photographs from the Planet in Peril team's trip to South Africa. They investigate the mysteries behind the great white shark–a mysterious animal struggling to survive its poor reputation. In their journey the meet people who have encountered these sharks first-hand and finds out what they are doing to protect them.

Filed under: Planet in Peril
  1. EJ (USA)

Great pictures. I think that if I were to try to get in those cages I would be so afraid that I would not end up enjoying the experience... unless I was a little tipsy or something like that.

August 6, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  2. Martina Ilstad

Hey Anderson
    Nice beautiful pictures,it must be a wunderful experirenc to swim
    with sharks.just in face to face with this beautiful animals.what are you feeling.hope see more of pictures like that.

August 6, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo Anderson!!!!!
    Awesome pictures of sharks and you!!!! I love this pictures, that is so neat!!!! I am enjoy see many pictures " Planet in Peril 1 and 2" It is so amazing to see shark, it is very danger job for you....... wow!!!! that will be fun!!!! I decide I want to learn lot about sharks and I know I need be careful going to in the ocean... I need keep away from sharks!!!!!
    I will see you soon on Live Blog and program anytime...... Thanks for sharing pictures with me!!!!! See you there!!!! OXOX
    Love you,
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 6, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

Beautiful amazing pictures – and I love the fact they were done in black and white. Thank you for sharing them with us; I am looking forward to this years Planet in Peril. BTW, is this going to be an annual special??

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 6, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  5. anne,newfoundland,canada

All those amazing PIP photos deserve to be in a book!

Thanks so much for posting these,they are stunning,particularly by using black and white.

I cannot wait to see where you are travelling to next,and look forward to seeing PIP:Battle LInes.

August 6, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  6. Sandra Robertson, Wadley Ga.

Dear Anderson:

Your words always bring such vivid pictures to my mind and now Mr. Jeff Hutchens has allowed me to almost reach out and touch what has been reported for Planet in Peril, such as the sleekness of the great white sharks off the coast of South Africa; the soulful look in the eyes of the people of Cameroon and the beauty which still exists in Rwanda. Thank you "Team Planet in Peril." These are truly amazing photographs.

August 6, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  7. Rekha Joy A

Nice pictures.

August 6, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  8. K@KatchProFILMS

Oh, and I just started reading Mr. Cooper's book... oddly enough, around Mother's Day and

August 6, 2008 at 7:04 pm |
  9. K@KatchProFILMS

This Hutchens... does he, like, do FILM stuff? (Remarkable... just remarkable work. "Unmatched"... really.)

(The "shark" is an extraordinarily sensitive animal, by the way. Ultra (ultra) sensitive and very (very) aware of it's surroundings - "seeing",
    tasting... "touching" - from all sides... at ALL times.

Even the slightest "flicker" will make it react (can you imagine going about your day to day world with that kind of sensitivity - day in... day out?

You'd think that it would "burn out" - but it doesn't.

Definitely, not a "thick skinned" creature - does'nt have to be. But I suppose if you looked like that you would'nt have to either.

(Thanks for the photos. Awesome work.)

August 6, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    The black and white photographs are exceptionally beautiful. Thanks for posting them–it's great that you add this extra documentation to the Planet in Peril reports.
    I look forward to your program!

August 6, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  11. Genevieve M, TX

Great slideshow, keep up the good work!!

August 6, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  12. Larry

So will the fewer number of Great White Sharks have any affect on the Killer Whale population?

August 6, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Thank you for these photos. For me, it was amazing how they stirred up feelings of fear, excitement, sadness, and joy, all at once. I can only imagine the emotions the real thing evokes. What I would give to experience it firsthand.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 6, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  14. Ratna Sadal

Even "Jaws" is a stereotype: bad bad baaad Hollywood...!!!!

August 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  15. Kristien,Antwerp, Belgium

Great shots!! I've said it before, but I need to say it again: please put all the fantastic pictures in a PIP2 photobook!!

Kristien

August 6, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  16. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hey Anderson, et al,

Wow! Thanks so much for the stunning photos. Love the fact that you used black and white medium Simply beautiful.

Have to tell you how much I love and appreciate the fact that you do all of these lovely things for we viewers. Gosh, I feel like I was there and that is an incredible priviledge. Clearly we love feeling incuded in all of the amazing adventures you have.

Also, I would like to thank you for reading my comment on the air Monday night. Maybe it seens dumb to some people, but to me it makes me feel valued and appreciated; it means a lot.

Keep updating us on PIP 2. Can't wait ti see it! Crucial issues, truly important.

August 6, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  17. Jolene

Jeff: You never seem to disappoint. These pics are exciting! Love the action shots of the great whites, especially those that show off their great white teeth! Very nicely done.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 6, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  18. Cindy

These are some great pics! Jeff is an awesome photographer. My fav is the shark coming up out of the water and you can only see his teeth and steely eye! Makes 'em seem mean! LOL

Cindy...Ga.

August 6, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  19. Maritza

I'm glad the great white didn't pick his teeth with your skinny body, in one photo you leaning against the edge of your boat, ahhh, the pictures are incredible, funny how a creature so feared is somehow so beautiful , I have nightmares of great whites, but in some dreams I reach out and touch them... hmm , anyway let's save the psychoanalysis for another day. Anderson I'm very impressed with your fearless style," no bad Karma ", just in case next time you take a dip with sharky wear a steel mesh wet suit. .. Jaws is one of my all time favorite movies... Maritza

August 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  20. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi there, Very beautiful slide show. I especially like the one of the shark, face forward out of the water, showing all those amazing teeth. Very nice, great timing! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day, see you later.

August 6, 2008 at 5:30 pm |