August 6th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Does it *really* take all kinds?

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

In college, a couple of girlfriends looked into selling their eggs to make some extra money. I remember walking down Newbury St in Boston, imagining what we’d do with $4,000. We could buy shoes, maybe a car, a fancy handbag, nice dinners… oh, the possibilities! But none of my girlfriends ever followed through. The main reason? It was a lot of work for a 20-something college student, not to mention the hurdles you have to jump just to be approved. The requirements can also severely hinder a college kid’s social life…if she were ever chosen.

As I got older, whenever I’d see a story on egg donation, my mind went back to that walk in Boston. The more I’ve learned about egg donation, I am in awe of the women who do follow through. While a few thousand dollars sounds like a lot, you will put your body through so much to get there. It is an amazing gift for a couple, but the toll on the donor is stiff.

Still, in this sagging economy, the dollar signs are again peaking interest.

This is just strange and creepy – a pastor accused of staging two car accidents to cover up the fact that he was stealing money from an elderly man found guilty in that millionaire’s death. Clearly, he didn’t take his vows too seriously.

One less drive-thru staffed by nearly-naked women – darn.

A Washington town has booted the so-called “bikini baristas”, likening the coffee servers to “adult entertainment” that should be age-regulated and hidden behind blacked-out windows.

I’m steering clear of that debate, but there is something else that baffles me about these ladies – they’re barely clothed and they’re dealing with hot coffee. Outrage aside, what about the potential for some serious burns? It’s just not safe to serve a latte in pasties.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Jolene

Erica: Here's my take on the bikini baristas. Equal opportunity. Why aren't there any men in speedos serving latte? Hmmm. Better yet what do they do in the winter? All I can say is that I'm glad I don't drink coffee. Ha!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 6, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  2. EJ (USA)

I could never sell my precious eggs. My babies.

August 6, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Anthony

Hello Erica,

Great story.

Anthony

August 6, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  4. Christine

My only problem with egg donors and spern donors, is there could be some kids hooking up who might be related. Gives you something to think about.

Genevieve in TX, most men can't pull off a thong, with out a little help.

CNN mostly now only does politics which is why people who need news will go the other networks. I channel surf. I'll check out the headlines on Anderson's show than surf around for news.

August 6, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

Erica

Loved your remark about potential burns to those waitresses. I wonder how many of them actually got burned from the coffee and the lack of adequate clothing? I'm for more clothes on a person rather than less – keep your mystery; after all, you may look stunning in someone's imagination than you do in reality.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 6, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  6. Jim- Kearny, NJ

Hi Erica!

On the PATH trains between NJ and NYC, there have been ads up for some time offering $8,000 for women to sell their eggs. I can't say I've known any takers. I've heard the procedure can be quite painful.

I can't say I'm truly surprised by the pastor. There are a lot of dirtbags pretending to be men of god to accomplish evil.

OK, the bikini baristas- First of all, if they're wearing bikinis, then you see nothing you wouldn't see at the beach. People don't sit on the beach covering their kids' eyes so they don't see the little cutie in her bikini.
    Second, I just can't for the life of me understand the shame people carry about the human body. I know that it's taught in a religious context from the time people are children and most of them never shake it, but we are what we are and we look like what we look like. There's no reason to be ashamed or shocked or embarassed.
    And there's no reason to equate nudity with sex. I think it should be required for everyone who is embarassed by the human body to go to a nude beach like the one we have here in NJ (actually, it's clothing optional), and see that people can be comfortable in front of strangers in a non-sexual setting without clothes. There are fat people and old people and people of all shapes and sizes and colors and even families, and they're among the least critical, most accepting people I've ever met.

See ya later!

Jim : )

August 6, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Erica, Interesting story about the egg donors. I am also in awe of these women who do follow through with it. All the tests, poking and proding they have to go through. Also, the drugs they have to take to stimulate the ovaries has to be so uncomfortable. But, you're right, there are some couples that are so overjoyed to be able to use the eggs. It helps to make their dreams come true. Very interesting story. Have a great day, see you later.

August 6, 2008 at 8:35 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    I wonder just where the unemployed, booted to the curb, "bikini baristas" go when their services are no longer needed? I guess they land on the evening news! You gotta love the power of a bikini, coffee and dexterity.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

August 6, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  9. EJ (USA)

You seem a little bitter, Mike in NYC...

August 6, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  10. GF, Los Angeles

@ Mike in NYC and CA Cutie I'd like to see coverage on Ramos and Compean and how they've been incarcerated for 14 months and sentenced to over 10 years in prison for defending our borders. The illegal drug smuggler they shot was in and out of the system so quick – where's the justice in that? I agree with you both there's a lot of issues that need to be covered but aren't.

BTW part of the whole economy downfall is because of the housing fiasco – buyers who couldn't afford it and greedy lenders looking to make a quick buck. Where was coverage on that with the blogs? I find it interesting the media would rather focus on sob stories like selling eggs for money instead of what caused it all in the first place.

August 6, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  11. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Hello Erica., I always wonder if the kids would want to meet the egg or sperm doner., & most of them do.. I wouldn't mind giving or selling mine, but I don't want kids now or later.. to much $ and legal stuff comes into play., beside we need to cut down on everything!
    Erica how can we stir clear of a coffee debate.. that's "HOT"
    see u tonight.

August 6, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  12. Mike in NYC

CA Cutie wrote:

"Why isn’t there any mention on the CNN website about ... that punk gang member that murdered those teenage girls in Texas?"

They’re too busy focusing on Evil White Men, like "Rockefeller" and the killer pastor, to be spending any time on murderous non-white gang-bangers, not to mention the black guy in MA who kidnapped his family and committed a murder in the process. Not newsworthy, I guess.

August 6, 2008 at 7:57 pm |
  13. Genevieve M, TX

I wonder if that coffee shop (Expresso Gone Wild) would ever consider hiring male employees who wear skimpy underwear (aka thongs/banana hammocks). If they did, perhaps they would not get as many complaints from the female customers! 😉

August 6, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  14. Heather.Ca,Us

I actually looked into donating my eggs. However, I found out I am too old(35) and you have to a perfect healthy weight and other requirements. I totally understand why these requirements exist. It actually reminds me of all those children being born from donated college student sperm. Just think about how many children there are out there who are half siblings. I think there is even a web site dedicated to reuniting these children who share this unknown father. I think that though brings another issue, what if these children want to meet their unknown parent. What if a donor mom or dad has a lot of kids. They want to meet them. I guess with all this new technology comes legitimate legal issues and for the parents privacy concerns.

August 6, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  15. Lilibeth

Yeah, those baristas, can you imagine this, in my neck of the woods? Finally, my state is in the news, but about this? I’ve not seen the baristas personally, but I can understand the outrage. I agree with you…safety first. If the coffee spills on you, that’s gotta hurt!

Selling my eggs to make money…I hope I don’t ever get that desperate.

See you tonight,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 6, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  16. Larry

Reminds me of the good ol days when people tried to sell kidneys on Ebay for a $1 million 🙂

August 6, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  17. Alexander

Erica, another delightful post. Always an interesting read. For the most part, I agree with your take on the issues you listed in this news note of yours. Looking forward to catching you again tonight.: )

August 6, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  18. CA Cutie

Erica – why isn't there any mention on the CNN website about the just comeuppance doled out to that punk gang member that murdered those teenage girls in Texas?

Doesn't CNN consider this news? Is CNN keeping it honest?

Gloria

August 6, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  19. JC- Los Angeles

Erica, what on earth were you and your girlfriends doing with chickens in the heart of Boston? And to consider selling their eggs for $4,000? You and your college friends must have found some pretty impressive chickens.

August 6, 2008 at 7:05 pm |