August 4th, 2008

Rockefeller arrested; daughter rescued

Clark Rockefeller, accused of abducting his 7-year-old daughter Reigh Boss, was arrested over the weekend.

Gabe Falcon
AC360° Writer

In case you missed it, that man of mystery – Clark Rockefeller – was captured in Baltimore over the weekend.

His daughter, Reigh, was rescued in a new $450,000 home that Rockefeller reportedly paid for with cash.

So ends the search for the 48-year-old fugitive with the famous last name and the 7-year-old girl he allegedly abducted while on a supervised visit with her in Boston.

He waived extradition back to Massachusetts where he will be arraigned on a slew of charges, including felony custodial kidnapping, assault and battery, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Why would a father allegedly abduct his own child? According to authorities in Boston, it “appears to be the result of Clark Rockefeller’s dissatisfaction with a divorce and custody settlement between him and Sandra Boss.”

That theory is just part of the puzzle. Rockefeller is apparently not a Rockefeller. As we’ve been reporting, he has implied he is a member of the famous family, but the Rockefeller Archive Center says his name is not in any of its records. He is an enigma, with multiple aliases; he bought the new Baltimore using the name Chip Smith.

Rockefeller doesn’t have a social security card or birth certificate. He was married to Reigh’s mother, but has no marriage license. And when police caught up with him in Baltimore, they say he was planning to start a new life.

Instead, he’s heading back to Boston, a shadowy fugitive from justice now behind bars.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Megan Dresslar

Thank you Police and FBI!!! I am so glad he already caught by FBI and police...... I am so happy for girl to save and bring home with her mom........ I hope he will be charged for own ex-daughter kidnapped keep away her mom. he is so crazy man, awful guy I saw him.
    By the way, I like to say to FBI and police thanks so much, that is so quick! Whew! Yipeeeee! I thought so, hmmmm, maybe he not who is..... no marriage or something.... that is so bad! Also I agree with best bloggers. I think he will stay jail for long time.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 5, 2008 at 3:52 am |
  2. greg

I agree Mike, why is story so news worthy?There is so much more ging on is this world.I could care less about an alleged last name .

August 5, 2008 at 2:53 am |
  3. Melissa, Los Angeles

Now that is odd...no marriage certificate? How in the world did he get "divorced" and how could there have been any type of custody case if he had no concreted ID?

August 5, 2008 at 1:12 am |
  4. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

" Rockefeller doesn't have a social security guard" – Say what!!!
    You people have guards as well – wow impressive!! :]

August 5, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  5. JC- Los Angeles

Although I'm glad this hack was captured and the daughter found unharmed, the authorities should put the child's mother through some psychological testing prior to returning the child to her care.

I'm having a tough time grasping how the mother could be so naive, blind, foolish and needy to fall for a con like this hack.

The real tragedy may be that the child has two flawed parents; one who's a con and one who's attracted to lying, cheating, conniving losers.

August 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  6. Tony

Man his wife must be really clueless or hiding something. Anyways my question is why this case gets so much media attetion. I mean there's probably an uncountable number of lawless crimanals that abduct their kids.

August 4, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  7. Heather,CA,US

Ok No marriage license? No nothing? I think the mother has some explaining to do as well. I cant imagine a court not having records for a father in a child custody case. Of course someone out there knows who this guy really is. You can have as many names/identities as you want, but once you have a mug shot.Every body sees one face. The same face,one face. Im sure this guy is different people to different for every reason possible. The ex wife has to be the most self focused clueless person on earth.

August 4, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  8. carmen

Thank God they safely rescued this little girl. I haven"t read why he had only supervised visitation. What rational is given re this in the final divorce judgement.
    Also, some years ago you did not get a social security number until you "got a job". Maybe he is one of the Rockafellows who didn't have to get a job!

August 4, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  9. Mike in NYC

How does this story merit all the attention it's been getting? Custody-related abductions aren't exactly rare.

By contrast, another man from Massachusetts was arrested July 31st for kidnapping his wife and four kids, and committing a murder in the process.

You didn't know that? No surprise there. The other guy was black, and "Clark Rockefeller" is white. There's always a demand for "evil white men" stories.

August 4, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  10. Cindy

I saw that Rockefeller was arrested. I was so glad that they found him and everything went down with no problems. Thankfully Reigh can now go back to her moms and away from that crazy man! I hope they figure out who he really is.

Cindy...Ga.

August 4, 2008 at 8:36 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

He paid cash for a house that cost almost half a million dollars? If he's not a Rockefeller then what does he do for a living?

I'm glad the little girl is ok and I'm sure her mother is thrilled to have her back. Its nice when a child is rescued and is unhurt – wish we would find them all like that.

Annie Kate