August 4th, 2008

Endangered great white sharks

Great white sharks are dying off at an alarming rate. CNN's Anderson Cooper reports.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Planet in Peril
  1. Rachel McDonald

Dear Anderson,
    You bring a rare sensitivity to your journalism and reporting that is touching millions.
    I just read your article about your brother's senseless suicide. I found myself sobbing.
    Know that you are bringing valuable knowledge of the world, it's people, their suffering, the endangered animals into the homes of so many who would otherwise not know of these things.
    I guarantee that you have sparked the interest of many a youngster to better this world in doing what you do.
    Thanks. Rachel

August 5, 2008 at 3:35 am |
  2. bill anderson

Super job. We need more people like you in this country. I follow you everyday.
    Thanks again,
    Bill Anderson

August 5, 2008 at 2:01 am |
  3. EJ (USA)

Wow... what a unique experience. I hope you enjoyed every minute of it Anderson.

August 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  4. Brandi

this rocks! can i come next time??? pretty please!!!!?????

August 4, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  5. Grace Ramos - Calgary, AB, Canada

Good to have you back Anderson. That was an exciting and awesome video.

August 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Heidi,lou.ky

"9 ft shark cruising around the both " and only you concern 🙂 ,that lady made me nervous when , she tried many times to get shark on water surface. be careful .God bless you

August 4, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  7. Maureen T

Hey Anderson, I love to see you reporting in the field! Planet in Peril II will be awesome! Can't wait. But remember Anderson I miss you behind your desk at AC360! Come home soon or I'll forget what you look like and I don't want to forget! 🙂 XO

August 4, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  8. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hi Anderson,
    I love the video! You know AC/360 is not the same without you but I know you have to work on the very important Planet In Peril II.
    But hey, you're not kidding me, you are having more fun than sitting behind the desk. 😉
    I'm looking forward to the new series as well as you hosting 360 again!
    XXOO

August 4, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  9. Tammy, Berwick, LA

So you do still have a sense of danger 🙂

I have always found Great Whites to be beautiful. The fact that they have survived for so long under so many changes on this planet is amazing. We have a lot to learn from them, and we are missing a fantastic opportunity if we don't watch, listen, and protect them from ourselves. Glad you're sharing their story with the world.

August 4, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

Anderson

Great video and great information about the sharks. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you did on the sharks in PIP this fall. It ought to be a good show – as usual.

I have to say that I agree with Daniel saying that Humans are the worst thing that has ever happened to this planet. If we could just get over the idea that the planet is ours to use and abuse as we want to and that other creatures have as much right to exist on it as we do, maybe things would get better in the environment.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

August 4, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  11. Susan Lemarie

Am I the only one watching these videos and thinking that Anderson's next Indian name needs to be "Dances with Sharks?"

Susan Lemarie, Fairfax, VA

August 4, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  12. Y

WOW! Nice piece, thanks for sharing 🙂 Can't wait to see it!

August 4, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  13. Don, WA

Really nice film – has a more real and tangible feel than what I see on most documentaries.
    And I would worry too with that hungry, leap capable, white shark circling that little boat looking for that seal – what if the seal jumps in the boat and the shark jumps after him? You're gonna need a bigger boat.

August 4, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  14. Sharon from Indy

Anderson:
    Okay, I have to admit that I am terrified of sharks. I am one of the late boomers that saw the first "Jaws" on a mammoth screen and screamed or hid behind my hands during the whole movie.

But since then I have learned a lot more about sharks and have learned to respect them as part of the oceans' ecosystem. Thanks for Planet in Peril's coverage of the Great White Sharks.

I still don't go into the water. But usually it's because of too many jellyfish.

Great video!

August 4, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  15. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Thanks for posting this video. Your report on endangered sharks is great–the location is quite beautiful, too. I look forward to seeing you later.

August 4, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  16. Daniel

Humans are the worst thing that has ever happened ti this planet.

August 4, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  17. Michelle Fischer- Lafayette IN

Anderson,

I wish I could have gone with you to Cape Town!! You are so wonderful at allowing the viewers to transport themselves to another culture, Beautiful scenery and to experience incredible journeys with you and the crew! Thank you! Can hardly wait for this years' PIP!!

Great Job! PS. Don't worry, you weren't the only one concerned
    360 Fan about that 9 foot shark circling your boat, I was
    scared for you too!! Hahaha!
    Michelle

August 4, 2008 at 7:10 pm |
  18. Karen

Hey Anderson,

Last Friday nights show was awesome – scary, exciting, interesting – good job. I watched both hours.

The great white sharks reminds me of the movie – Point Break – when the investigator was describing the surfers to the new guy – and he describes them as ghosts – they do there thing and then vanish – with no one seeing them – cool.

See you tonight.

Karen

August 4, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  19. Martina Ilstad

Hey Anderson
    i think you do a verry good job show us how beautiful and clever this animals are.i am hornest bevor i saw thisvideo,i was not a big fan of sharks,but media shaws us the sharks us a killing maschine,but now i start to see them i a different way.we have to pretect this animals,like many other animals,because first our animals will die,and the the human be, and the the planet.

August 4, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  20. Dee Stevens

As an endangered species the white sharks are an interesting topic for your PIP documentary. Good to see you on AC/360 at 10PM.

August 4, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  21. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hi Anderson,

Wow! I am so envious. Looks like a fantastic experience, not to mention the beauty of Capetown. Breathtaking!

Suely you had a wonderful time and learned much. Cannot wait to see the full piece.

Gotta tell you, had I been with you on that boat, you would for sure not have been the only one nervous that the shark was so close. Yikes! They are fascinating creatures and I adore them, but more so from a slightly farther distance. Admit that I would have loved to be the in cage observing them. Your job rocks at times like these, huh?

Thanks for the lesson on sharks there "Jacques" – good job!

August 4, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  22. Lori, Boston

Hi Anderson,

What a great video! It must be so amazing to study and learn from the Great White shark. This had to be a fabulous opportunity.

August 4, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar

P.S. Also Welcome back Anderson!!!!! Miss you!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

August 4, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  24. Hazel

I think it is great what you are doing for sharks and the planet. I have seen so many sharks on TV lately. I did not know why until I saw that it was shark week.

Do you think sharks have become more vicious in recent years? I wonder why attacks seem more common lately, and what can be done to stop them?

August 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

Hellooo Anderson!!!!!
    That is so amazing video!!!!!! I am enjoy watching you talking about sharks. I can't wait see you PIP 2 (Planet in Peril 2) in fall! I know you are so brave and look sharks in the ocean.......... I hope you take care yourself in Africa. I will watch that program from you tonight! It is so cool to see sharks!!! Miss you on 360 program and live blog....... love you. XOXO
    Please come home soon..... 🙂
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, WA

August 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  26. Jolene

I have to admit I was surfing channels over the weekend and came across Discovery Channel’s Shark Week series. If it wasn’t for AC360 bringing this topic to my attention, I probably would have passed it by but watched with awe and have a whole new appreciation not only for the sharks but for those who dedicate their lives to the study of them. I was simply amazed by the computer technologies used to understand their behaviors and migration patterns. You got me intrigued now!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

August 4, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  27. Lilibeth

After I saw the video, I did a little bit of research on my own. These sharks are murdered for their tails and fins and thrown back into the ocean where they die a slow death, critically endangering many species. Clearly, all of this cruelty must stop. Education is the first step. Then after that, there must be a way where we, as stewards of this planet, can help in the preservation of these magnificent creatures. Please tell us how.

Welcome back.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  28. Profull Gupta

Great show Anderson . I watch it often . Thanks

August 4, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  29. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson, My son and I enjoyed watching the video. The sharks glide so smoothly through the water. It's fun to watch them – we enjoyed it. Thanks for all your hard work to bring these beautiful animals to the forefront. Have a good day, see you later.

August 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  30. Ashley h

I can't believe the great white sharks are dying off.Why would any body want to kill them?Its not their fault that they attack people,its mistaken identity.There such amazing creatures.

August 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  31. Cindy

Great video!! The funniest thing is I've seen about the exact same thing happen on a documentary on the Discovery channel!! The shark ate one seal then another hid behind a boat and escaped from the shark! I thought I was having deja vu a minute there!! LOL I mean it is almost exactly the same!!

I think that it is great that you all are focusing in on sharks and showing that they aren't the fierce man eaters as everyone wants to believe. Without them the ecosystem would fail!! Hopefully we can get a better understanding of them and not think that they need to be killed off or that we should be afraid of them.

Just give them their space and they won't bother you. I've seen a lot of them when deep sea fishing and snorkeling.

Cindy...Ga.

August 4, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  32. Kathy

WOW, Anderson don't lean over the side of the boat.

What a great job you have! All that fun and you get paid too!

August 4, 2008 at 4:35 pm |