July 23rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/23/08

We are on at a special time tonight 11p ET, after the "Black in America" documentary. Anderson will talk with CNN's Soledad O'Brien and several of the people profiled tonight.

We'll also have tonight's headlines. Check out what else is the program in Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 1045p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ressie

Being within an interracial marriage, I have learned that prejudice is prejudice. Blacks and whites both act differently to you. How can we try to teach the world to be color blind when both races use the difference. How can I be treated equal when I don't treat everyone equal.

July 23, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Anne In New York

Soledad, you did an awesome job, I felt so very sad at times (the Kennedy family), jealous (the Rands) and impressed with the strength I saw in black women. Regarding paying kids to study, if it works, that's great!

July 23, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Maureen T

The younger generation has less problems than the older folks when it comes to the races mixing. Take a look around folks.

July 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  4. Karl in Toronto

Well I think its time to stop calling people what we think they are or want them to be. They should be able to choose and not get ridiculed by either race.

July 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  5. Marilyn, Houston, TX

I'm one of those successful single black women, have traveled the world, make a great salary, own my own home and have heard that "intimidation" comment from men before. Both black and white.

July 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  6. Ken

Powerful show tonight. Looking forward to tomorrow night. Good night Anderson, Erica, Tara, and Soledad.

July 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  7. Ron (Lawrenceville, GA)

Anderson, pass on to Soledad a "fist pump", the program is wonderful. Having a factual discussion of our community is great. I find that tying the stark numbers into a family story is compelling. Archiving these statistics into one documentary beats reading them and piecing it together. Bravo to CNN.

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  8. CaseyJPS

This is great!! I am eagerly waiting for tomorrow night. Congratulations Soledad! Thanks 360. Good Night Bloggers!

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  9. Jolene

Great discussion. I hope 360 considers doing more panel discussions on more key issues within and outside the black community. Nite all!

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Good night Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a good night!!!! Sleep tight!!!! 🙂
    See you late tomorrow night!!!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  11. Jo

I commend Soledad on such a huge undertaking. The topic has so many
    facets it would be impossible to cover the complete issue in a short special. What concerns me currently is what I detect happening in the corporate world with less employment opportunities for Black Americans as our national job market shrinks.

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  12. Dorell

Thank you for Black in America and your discussions afterwards!!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  13. Omar

Firstly, i want to say that i thoroughly enjoyed this documentary "Black in America". I'm loving these discusses because i think its bringing many issues to the forefront that are affecting us as black americans everyday. I hope this will triggers more discussions by our so call black leaders, and promote action and awareness throughout our culture........ I would also like to know what prompted this documentary.....

July 23, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  14. Fay, CA

I'd like to commend CNN, Soledad O'Brien and AC360 for bringing us the excellent Black in America series. As expected, it has been illuminating and informative–programs such as this one is why I continue to watch CNN–you rarely see other networks making the effort to do such comprehensive reporting on the issue of race.

July 23, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Jolene, I agree, I don't think this is exclusive to black women.

July 23, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  16. Claire

I'm happy to be single and I'm glad to have the freedom. It's nice in this day and age that woman of any color can choose to live their life the way they want and not have to be supported by men, unless they choose to.

July 23, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  17. Maureen T

Too many black men are intimated by intelligent, educated black women!

July 23, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  18. Roweena D'Souza, Seattle

ah, this is not a problem only if you are black.... it is hard to find a mate if you are single independent successful and a rich woman... intimidation is definitely a factor

July 23, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  19. Louis

I am not biracial but I totally agree with Tami. Your color is chosen once you step outside of your door!

July 23, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  20. Maureen T

Thank goodness some of the black women realize that they can date white men as well! No need to limit yourself! Thank goodness for choices!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  21. Cindy

Nothing wrong with being self sufficient and not having or wanting to rely on a man! More power to 'em!!

Cindy...Ga.

July 23, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  22. Jack in Georgia

Who said that paying the students is about race? If this program works in inner city America, I am sure it can be replicated in all schools where children are POOR and are unable to connect school and future success.

July 23, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  23. Daniel Grace

On honest discussion about the social construction of race is difficult – moving beyond personal stories , and getting into an analysis of systemic, institutional processes/barriers is essential. This being said, I appreciate what is being done with this documentary series and the challenges of producing it for a mass market on CNN.

July 23, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  24. Rita in NC

"Paying kids to do good in school is ridiculous." from Cindy in GA

No, paying kids to do good in school is reality. It would be a mistake to think that the reason that there is an achievement gap is because parents are not spending enough time with their children. Did you not see the show? When a kid is concerned about if he will sleep at home or in a shelter, the last thing on anyone's mind is togetherness...it's on survival. That single dad was remarkable but look at the odds he's facing!

July 23, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  25. Linda

I can hardly wait to see tomorrows program. This is that best program I have ever seen on Blacks In America!
    Who is the Poet?

July 23, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  26. CaseyJPS

Soledad touched on a very important point. The environment we provide our kids is critical to their development. And, it's not just about where home is, it extends in every aspect of our kids lives and what they are exposed to on a regular basis.

July 23, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  27. Catie

One thing to remember too guys is that kids at that age are smart and aware. If they are taught fiscal responsibility, which I would surprised if that wasn't a facet of the program (again we need to learn more), then not only are they beginning their basic foundational education, but their also gaining real-world experience that will happen as they arrive to the juncture in their lives when they will have to make tough choices.

July 23, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  28. Jolene

I bet if you looked at all women, regardless of color, you would find a trend that successful women are choosing to stay single.

July 23, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  29. Tami

Regarding biracials, how can I choose if once I step out of my door, color has been chosen for me. It would be nothing short of a joke for me to walk around calling myself white and the world is calling me black and treating me accordingly

July 23, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  30. Anthony, Columbia, MD

Great segment tonight on "Black In America" Can't wait to see the second part tomorrow night.

July 23, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  31. Shea, North Carolina

I have cousins that are half black. I understand the story about the 2 brothers. My cousins have always made different choices in life. One chose to go to college and the other not. I think it had a lot to do with the groups of friends they hung around with also. They both could have done great things but one chose not to.

July 23, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  32. Claire

Cindy- There were kids of all races and colors at that school.

Why not do what we can to encourage ANY kid to do better. What chance does a homeless kid have? I say well done to these people if it's working.

July 23, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  33. brandon

At this point as an African American young male teacher, anything is worth trying. What will continue to be a problem though will be the lack of good teachers, old schools, and school materials, and the biggest issue is the lack of parental guidance and parental influence when discussing education.

July 23, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS

It's hard for me to imagine that these kids understand the bigger picture, relative to the compensation. It's really amazing.

July 23, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This may seem like it is working, but I can't say that I am in favor of paying children to learn. If you start doing this then a child will not want to to something just for the pure satisfaction of accomplishment.

July 23, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  36. Terence Maxwell

Amazing work Soledad; its pleasantly shocking to see issues in the Black community discussed honestly on a news network. Thank you for allowing us to look into these everyday people struggles and dreams.

July 23, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  37. Hannah Storm

that little boy got it right....we all try extra hard when it comes around to "raise time" at work. If we as adults do why should children not do it as well.....I know if I got paid I would have done even better in school then I did

July 23, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  38. Barney-Grand Blanc,MI

Awesome video of Gary Tuchman braving the elements on South Padre Island. Great coverage of Hurricane Dolly, as usual!

July 23, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  39. Catie

The program for the fourth graders is very interesting. It's definitely great to provide incentive to young students in order to get them to have goals to achieve in school and life. I love the interview with the kids. It seems like it's a great program! I'd love to learn more about this!

July 23, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  40. Karl

I am not black however I accept all people no matter what the skin color. I believe that light skin people who have black and white parents should be able to choose what they want to be. The black community should not choose for them.

July 23, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  41. Nanette

Thank you for the "Black in America" special. It's about time someone gives the real picture of what it's like to be black in America. My hope is that more responsible jounalist will take note of this story and we get more of them in the future. Thank you to all the black Americans who told their story. Only when we are transparent with our struggle and our success can we truly find healing. Education is our oxygen to survive this struggle. We must make the commitment to educate our people. We owe it to our ancestors who died for our right to have an education. We owe it to our communities who need our example. We owe it to ourselves because it we are worth it!

July 23, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  42. Genevieve M, TX

I was "paid to learn" by my parents. Their theory is that "school is my job and if I do well, I should be rewarded." They issued a dollar amount for each grade ($10=A, $5=B) and "all As" was $100.

July 23, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  43. Cynthia

You are correct Steve. Some of us are really blessed and yet some of us have to overcome extreme poverty.

July 23, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  44. Jolene

Unless you have experienced discrimination, in whatever form, I'm sure it's hard for some to understand what the black community is going through. Kudos to Dr. Fryer. Those children are impressive.

July 23, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  45. Maureen T

You know what, if these children are learning and loving learning as it appears they are more power to pay to learn!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  46. Abayomi

I am in support of what works, and if confidence and knowledge is achieved with this manner, real kudo's to the program.

July 23, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  47. Cindy

Paying kids to do good in school is ridiculous. Their parents need to spend more time with them and help them learn instead of depending on the school to do it all! If you are going to pay one race and not the others isn't that showing bias!?

Cindy...Ga.

July 23, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  48. Destini

Soledad has been doing a really good job with these last few Black in America segments. I'm interested in seeing where the skin color issue goes, lots of people don't realise this is a big problem in the black community.

July 23, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  49. Nia

Great job Soledad! You have a wonderful demeanor when you interview. I can't wait for tomorrow!!

July 23, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  50. Steve

The special was great it touched on tons of topics but the one topic that was most debated within our group was extreme poverty. No one had any idea on how does one overcomes extreme poverty?

July 23, 2008 at 11:40 pm |