July 23rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/23/08

We are on at a special time tonight 11p ET, after the "Black in America" documentary. Anderson will talk with CNN's Soledad O'Brien and several of the people profiled tonight.

We'll also have tonight's headlines. Check out what else is the program in Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 1045p ET and turn it off at midnight ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 11p ET and stop at midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Angel Almodovar

Hi Anderson,
    I though that the Middle East visit was a senate group visit paid by the taxpayers. All we see and hear is Barack Obama. Where are the other Senators that went with him. Are they going to get any air time, hear their comments, or are they on vacation.

July 23, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  2. Catie

I've got to agree with David Gergen, again. McCain crossed a political line in his statement. That's a pretty bold statement to make against his opponent. McCain absolutely has a right to believe that, but, it is inappropriate of his campaign to make those sentiments know to the public.

July 23, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  3. Susan - North Haven,CT

I think the established lines of politics are a huge problem in this country. Kudos to John McCain for stepping away from 'political correctness' and saying exactly what he means.

We need more of that.

July 23, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  4. Wendy Ontario, Canada

First I would like to send my thoughts & prayers to those affected by the hurricane. Also say great job Soledad!
    I'm wondering if McCain's latest "gaff" regarding the surge timeline has others questioning his ability to be the next President? Foreign affairs is supposed to be his strong point but he really seems confused? YIKES!

July 23, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  5. john

Anderson,

When are you going to get tough and actually pin the McCain camp down on what "victory," means. It's time for someone to actually define "victory!"

Is victory just that when McCain declares it so?

July 23, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  6. LeCrisha

Praise the Lord for this opportunity to tell "our" story! Tonight's program was great! I look forward to tomorrow's segment on the Black male. I hope CNN is going to offer copies of this program to schools and so forth because I would love to use this information during some of my group disscussions with my student , parent and educator and groups.

Great job!

July 23, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  7. ericacnn

Hi, bloggers. Soledad's documentary was v powerful – I am looking fwd to tomorrow's installment. Incredible stories and such an opportunity for us ALL to get talking...sthg we've discussed the need for on this blog more than once!

July 23, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  8. Shannon

I want a White House run as well as Obama runs his campaign. This trip has been flawless! His management of his whole campaign has been inspiring. I think it says a lot about leadership.

July 23, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  9. Abayomi

I just can't get over, why the reason we went to "Iraq", has changed so much?

July 23, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The Awakening comment is somewhat accurate. US casualty rates didn't start to drop until the surge, 5 months after the Awakening.

July 23, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  11. Cindy

McCain is right....Obama lets everyone else do the hard work and he rides in on their coat tails when it is done. That way he doesn't risk losing his job.

Cindy...Ga.

July 23, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  12. Louis

Good Evening everyone. I think Soledad did a great job on the first half of "Black In America". And as an educated, single black man in America, I look forward to tomorrow nights segment, focusing on "The Black Man"!

July 23, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  13. Marilyn, Houston, TX

How can McCain claim Obama would rather lose the war and win an election? What is his deal? He's a good candidate and to resort to this type of attacking is just plain a waste of time. He should just focus on his positions and contrast against Obama's positions. What's up with that crazy panelist suggesting that what McCain said was the right thing to do?

July 23, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  14. Cynthia

Senator McCain seems to take things too far in his comment about Senator Obama to cover his misspeaks on yesterday.

July 23, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  15. Shannon

McCain's offshore drilling claim is a joke! McCain is seeming very reactionary and off his game. I thought he had a staff shake up that was supposed to hone his messages.

July 23, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  16. kim-chicago

What is wrong with McCain? Debating the issues is one thing but attacking someone's character is totally unacceptable.

July 23, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Gabrielle, Denver

I think that is was a great idea for CNN to do this documentary, it is a story that needs to be told.

July 23, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  18. Susan - North Haven,CT

I don't know what to make of Obama's trip. He's definitely saying all the right things to the foreign leaders without explaining the "how" factor for any of it. It seems like nothing more than a campaign strategy to me.

July 23, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  19. Claire

So McCain wanted Obama to go overseas and now that he has, McCain is whining about it. Geez, talk about what you want to do if you are elected and stop complaining about Obama.

July 23, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  20. Kim - McKinney, Texas

McCain has noticed that the price of milk has gone up and he cares about families putting food on the table yet he's the man who voted against the minimum wage increase, wasn't he? Ted Kennedy's been talking about the price of staple items on the floor of Congress for years. Call me cynical, but I'm not buying McCain's caring now.

July 23, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  21. Gerald & Sha

My wife and I really enjoyed watching "Black in America." It is journalism at its best, addressing the issues facing African Americans and bringing much needed media attention to our issues. Looking forward to tomorrow's segment.

July 23, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  22. Rick

I wonder if the audience in Germany will be Americans or if there will be a interpreter?

July 23, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  23. Cynthia

I think that Senator Obama has made a great impression for America all this week.

July 23, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  24. Floyd Michael Nicholson

I really enjoyed the special tonight.
    As a teenage black male it motivated me even more to do my best and succeed in life and give back to my community.

July 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

McCain's offshore drilling claim is a bit of stretch.

July 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  26. CaseyJPS

I was shocked to learn that African Americans account for such a high rate of HIV infection. I had absolutely no idea. I just don't get why people don't understand about how lethal this disease is. I know there is education out there (a lot more than when I was young) and it's not like it's a mystery to people, even young people. This is truly disappointing. I thought we would be well beyond these kind of numbers by now.

July 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  27. Roderick Mc Kree

I was very impressed and taken aback by the piece "Black in America". I am from the Caribbean but it is always of interest to me to see the SWOT effects of blacks in other countries. Thank you.

July 23, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  28. Wendy Williams Peterkin

This was a accurate depection of the life of "Black America". As a black 37 year old woman. I can relate to each segment in the CNN Special. Its about time !

Wendy

July 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  29. Rudy

How exciting to hear about Obama's pending speech in Germany and the general positive reaction. Imagine, Germans learning how to make miniature American flags to greet him. This is the positive engagement that has been missing with George Bush and that John McCain could never do. He is too tied to George W. Bush.

July 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  30. CAROLYN JONES

HI ANDERSON, I dont really know how to digest this black in america. both my parents were pastors my mom left my father with 14 children she reared us by herself, yes we was poor but she taught us to want more, we all work ed went to school no one ended up in jail or on drugs. i dont know if it's because we were born in louisiana,but reared in california, but we taught morals,responsibilty,and respect of others and oneself. know we have 5 generations. rangeing from professional basketball player, football to rape stars,public officials, mixe d marriages . im black my man white. but we live as americans not just black.

July 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If we fall asleep at work tomorrow we'll blame you Anderson.

July 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    You're welcome too!!!!! only I join in so late!!!!! 🙂

July 23, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  33. Tracey - Boston

Black in America is an American story

July 23, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  34. Tracey

I was very happy to see that CNN would decide to do this special. I feel one of the symptoms of racism is a lack of information. CNN has done a wonderful job with this program by dispelling some of the myths and helping to destroy some of the propaganda which has been circulated. If we continue to do specials of this nature about all the cutlures which make up this great country I think it will become easier to focus on the similarities and let go of some of the hatred.

July 23, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  35. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.. thanks for joining in for a little late night blogging.

July 23, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

How can Obama say the meeting tomorrow isn't a campaign event. The entire trip is a campaign event.

July 23, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  37. James

Thank you Soledad, I appreciate your efforts. I know you could only show so much of what life as Black in America is really like. So I just say thank you, but we have much work to be done because that was not even the tip of the iceburg of what it is really like to be black in America. I would love to tell my story some day, cause it might wake some people up.

Thanks Soledad

James in Jacksonville, Fl

July 23, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

The 'Black in America' special was good and ended on sad note of the mom who lost her 27 year old son. Scary and sad realities.

July 23, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  39. Jolene

Hello Bloggers! Great special tonight. The Rand family is simply amazing. Gary Tuchman is a brave man and did a great job covering Dolly today.

July 23, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  40. Abayomi

Hope things end up better by the morning, with the drought over there and in Texas, pray this is more of a blessing to the people than Hurt. Good Job, Gary, and saving lives at the same time.

July 23, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  41. Cynthia

Soledad, I enjoyed the first part of your series Black in America and am looking foward to tomorrow's show. I saw someone that I know personally in almost every segment. Kudos

July 23, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar

Wow! 20 inches of rain in South Texas............. Gary is very brave to standing reporter to viewer......

July 23, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  43. CaseyJPS

I learned quite a bit watching the special tonight. It is very well put together.

July 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  44. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Up to 20 inches of rain? Dolly had quite the wallop.

July 23, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Whitney

Hey all, very good show hosted by Soledad tonight.

July 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  46. Catie

Wow, great special so far by Soledad. Very insightful. Hello to you as well, Anderson and Erica.

July 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  47. Sharon H.

Very well presented- I just hope our community wasn't the only one watching.

July 23, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  48. Hannah Storm

Anderson please pass on to Soledad my congrats on an amazing first half to "Black in America"

Please also ask her who the man who did the intros to each section is......he was terrific

July 23, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Helloooo Anderson, Erica and best bloggers!!!!!
    I am enjoy Soledad O'Brien's documentary " Black in America"
    It is so amazing program tonight.

July 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Cindy

Evening Anderson and Erica.

Soledad did a great special tonight. Looking forward to hearing from the panel.

I hope Gary got out of the wind and rain and that he and everyone in Texas is OK.

Cindy....Ga.