July 15th, 2008

AC360° Emmy Nominations

Wanted to share some news with you. The News and Documentary Emmy Nominations were announced today and Anderson Cooper 360° has been nominated for two reports. We share the original pieces below, with a note from ac360° nominees Gary Tuchman and Randi Kaye:

______________________________________________________
EMMY NOMINATION:
OUTSTANDING FEATURE STORY IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST
CNN's Anderson Cooper 360°

Report: Unapproved Drugs
AC360° Correspondent: Gary Tuchman

The FDA approves all the prescription drugs sold in your pharmacy. Right? Wrong. Many drugs that haven't been approved by the government have been available for sale for years. And some of them have killed the people who have taken them. Why is this allowed? Our report investigates:

______________________________________________________
EMMY NOMINATION
OUTSTANDING INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IN A REGULARLY SCHEDULED NEWSCAST
CNN's Anderson Cooper 360°

Report: Chicago Police Brutality
AC360° Correspondent: Randi Kaye

Bar fights, allegations of abuse, arrests for stolen merchandise. These are not your everyday criminals, these allegations are against Chicago cops and very little discipline is ever handed down. We investigated why little is done to cops despite getting up to 50 allegations of misconduct. Watch our report here:

Filed under: 360° Radar • Gary Tuchman • Randi Kaye
  1. Ilhana, Bosnia

Congrats! I am sure you will win!!!ˆˆ

July 16, 2008 at 7:28 am |
  2. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

Congrats on the nomination Randi!! Now slap on a badge and stand a post!! Allegations against police are often heard and seldom verified!!

July 16, 2008 at 4:17 am |
  3. EJ (USA)

Did the 360 staff ever take Randi out to dinner for that Walmart piece w/the Shank family?

July 15, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  4. Jo Anne Cummings

Job well done you guys!!!!!!! looking forward to more great pieces.

July 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Annie Kate

Congrats to 360 and to Gary and Randi specifically. I hope you win – both reports were great.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 15, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  6. anne,newfoundland,canada

Congratulations to Randi,Gary,and the entire AC360 team on the Emmy nominations.

Good luck!

July 15, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  7. Lou (Canada)

Congratulations on your Emmy Nominations. I wish you both all the luck in hte world, they were both great pieces.

July 15, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  8. Genevieve M, TX

Hooray to Randi Kaye and Gary Tuchman on their nominations!! I will cross my fingers and toes and hope that both of you win!!

Randi, better make room on your shelf for another Emmy! 🙂

July 15, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  9. Lee in CA

Fantastic news for the 360 staff – and major kudos to Gary & Randi – hope that both nominations end up with two well-deserved wins!

July 15, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  10. Sarah

Congrats to both of you and the entire 360 team. See, this is why y'all beat Greta every night!:)

July 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary and Randi,

Congratulations to both of you on your Emmy nominations! Two excellent reports done by two excellent journalists. Good luck to you both!

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

July 15, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar

Hellooooo Anderson , Randi and Gary!
    Congrats to all of you!!!!! I am so proud all of you! you are so awesome reporters Randi and Gary! You are deserve the emmy nominations award together! I love you Anderson, Randi and Gary!
    That is my favorite show AC360 is the number one! I am so fans all of you including Team AC360! Thanks for allowing to watch you and all reporters on AC360 show! I'm so excitng for you!!!!!! Yipppppeee!!!
    Congrats on AC360 Team! 🙂 Take your emmy award with you! That is so special for both of you! Get ready to write your speech!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, WA

July 15, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  13. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Fabulous news! Congratulations Tom and Randi!

You know we regulars consider y'all family, so it is thrilling to hear that two of "our own" are being recognized for their amazing contriubtions to the best news program in town.

We will be rooting for you guys! Keep up the good work! Both of these pieces are phenomenal. No competition as far as I am concerned. You both shine brightly above your peers!

Go 360 !!!!!

July 15, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  14. Kathy, Chicago

Congrats to Gary, Randi, and the 360 team! What a great honor. I hope you win. I remember Randi winning a few years back. It is nice to see hard work recognized.

July 15, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  15. Susan

Congratulations to Randi & Gary for their fine reporting and being nominated for an Emmy. Get working on your acceptance speeches .

Congratulations also to the AC 360 staff who without them no reporting can be done.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

July 15, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  16. Emma

Congratulations Randi and Gary! You guys do outstanding work.

July 15, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  17. Dayana

Congrats on the nominations! Well deserved!

July 15, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  18. Rose from Southern Calif

It's great, of course from the ac360 family. Congrats to Randi, go girl and Gary!

July 15, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  19. carmen

Congrats. We love you guys.

July 15, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  20. EJ (USA)

I watched Randi's report and that was pretty scary. I should not be surprised (as I live in Cincinnati) but the volume of brutality complaints against hundreds of officers (almost 700) kind of took me by surprise. I knew Chicago was harsh but I thought they would have halfway decent checks in place because of the different political factions in Chicago. Looks like hundreds of cops can get away with this in one city – not even being flagged for anything at all. Whew!

Congratulations Randi. I'm sure the victims of this brutality were happy to have someone bring this to national attention. That seems to be the one of the few times when local politicians and legislators try to do something about it..

July 15, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  21. Lisa

Congrats to Randi, Gary and AC360! They were great stories and you all deserve it.

July 15, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  22. Renee

Congratulations and good luck to both of you! Both of you are my 360 favorites! Randi, good to see you on more.

July 15, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  23. marcy

Congrats to them both but Sanjay and Drew got some nods too!!!!

Marcy,
    Mobile, AL

July 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  24. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Congrats on the Emmy nominations. Gary and Randi both are well deserving of them.

July 15, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  25. EJ (USA)

I cannot get Randi's segment to play. (as of 3:38pm)

July 15, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  26. EJ (USA)

Congratulations to both of you.

I didn't see that unapproved drug report until just now. In fact, I almost mistook it for that internet pharmacy drug report special a few weeks back. I see the one that Gary did is completely different and a lot more alarming. I wonder if I can google some of the list of unapproved drugs. I didn't know that they were even allowed. I thought that was the purpose of the FDA – so unapproved drugs do not get into the market and harm people.

Good reporting Gary – and congratulations.

July 15, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  27. Missy

Congratulations Gary and Randi. You are both outstanding journalists.

July 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  28. Alex

Congratulations to both Gary and Randi!! You guys truely deserve the nomination. I'm rooting for you guys! Continue to work hard on the stories that you believe that the viewers should be informed of. 🙂

July 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  29. Cindy

CONGRATS on the nominations!! I've always known that Gary and Randi were your best reporters. Finally they are getting the appropriate recognition!

Too bad that they are up against each other. May the best man...or woman, win.

Cindy...Ga.