AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
July 11th, 2008

Clintons Never Quit: Hillary Clinton

Program Note: When it all began, he was the superstar with the big crowds and big bucks. He had the title she wanted: President Clinton. They both may be down now, but they’re certainly not out. Watch a special hour, “Clintons Never Quit.” Tonight, 10 ET

Tom Foreman
AC360° Correspondent

Sen. Hillary Clinton once told 60 Minutes "I'm not sitting here...some little woman standing by my man like Tammy Wynette." And she didn’t. She fought long and hard for the Democratic nomination and it would be easy to write her off now that she lost. But there are at least 18 million reasons that can’t happen. That's about how many voters chose Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama and according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll four out of ten democrats still wish she were the nominee.

It’s something the Obama camp is probably considering in the search for his running mate. As CNN Political Analyst Carl Bernstein put it: "I think that if Obama is to choose Hillary Clinton, it will be because he sees he can not win this election clearly, unless he picks her."

Former presidential Adviser, David Gergen, agrees: “Barack Obama is going to keep the door open until the very last moment, the moment of decision about whether he thinks Hillary Clinton ought to be on the ticket. And I think there is a serious possibility she will be on the ticket."

There are other possibilities, of course, other positions that have been raised like Mayor of New York City or even the Governor of New York State. There are also cabinet positions and leadership roles in the Senate. Not lost on Washington insiders, is this: Hillary Clinton could, in fact, by fortifying her status in the Senate actually have more influence over time than she might have had as president. According to CNN political contributor, William Bennett, she could “be elected again and again and again, and get seniority on these positions like armed services and have a profound effect on American political life." It comes down to a delicate dance for Sen. Obama. One way or the other, Hillary Clinton remains a player in his presidential aspirations.

Filed under: Clintons Never Quit • Raw Politics • Tom Foreman
  1. Louise

Missed the Clintons Never Quit Broadcast will it be repeating?

July 14, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  2. Julie

Many in this blog have expressed opinions I support:
    Because the Clintons never quit (fighting for power), the Obama presidency will be mightily diminished if Billary becomes Vice President. There are many high positions to which Obama may appoint Hillary while the Clintons make future plans. The Obama campaign has inspired the Majority (key word) of Democrats and, as befits the democratic process, the winner should now be the focus of the media and the party. It is a disservice to Barak Obama to keep the spotlight on the Clintons, powerful as they may be behind the scenes. They are Old Politics personified. Let's hope that one family will not undermine the candidate who can truly change American politics.

July 13, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  3. Tina

She could have a chance if she would stand up for what is right. Still.

July 13, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  4. Jack

I supported Hillary but of course I am now supporting Obama. I can't believe how many democrats I've heard are switching because Hillary did not win. I think Hillary's craziness is summed up in that 'Sunset Boulevard' parody on youtube (which also features an amusing likeness of our very own Anderson!) Check it out if you have seen it CNN! It would make a great 'Shot of the Day!'

July 12, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Sonali

I will not vote for Obama and will vote for McCain if DNC nominates OBama at the convention. I am from Texas where we had the two step process and also served on the County Rules Committee where the chair obama supporter changed all the rules to seat Obama delegates. He and his corrupt campaign stole delegates in Caucus when Hillary won the primary vote. I have seen the Obama corruption upclose and personal and I can never vote for him in good conscience. DNC super delegates stole the election from Clinton with the help of Media and their pundits. If DNC thinks they can ignore us and expect to vote for their Chosen One they have another thing coming this November. I don't like McCain so much but I am voting against Obama. He should not beleive for one second that he can pander to us with issues like Rove Wade or equal pay. We want him to lose so Hillary can run in 2012. She is our only Hope for Change not the guys who just talks about it but then votes for the FISA bill. He is indeed the most corrupt politician who will do anything or say anything to get our votes. CNN, PLEASE POST this for God's sake.

July 12, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  6. Howard

It seems so obvious. Putting Sen. Clinton on the ticket would clearly unite a very divided democratic party. Not only would Obama win, but he would win big. I have read every name on every short list. There is not one name on any list that does not raise a question mark for me. Obama takes a risk with every other name. This country cannot afford to risk losing this election to another republican.
    For the sake of this country, Obama needs to put all his ego aside and do the right thing.

July 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  7. jt

Obama is inexperience, that is the problem.

A good talker, Yes.

But show me what he has accomplished?

Community organizer. I think this is a litlle different than President.

McCain a safer choice.

July 12, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  8. jheckerman

Lets put it this way. My vote in November will go to Hillary Clinton.
    It will either be for President (Write in) or Vice President (on the ticket)
    I can not vote any other way. I will not settle for less.

July 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm |
  9. Mary Greene

A lot of these comments are stupid. Either we love America and vote for our party or you just put our country in more pain, more trouble and most of all less of everything. Why can't we just get along. Don't make excuses about not voting for Sen. Obama because he won and go to John McCain. If you don't vote, just stay home as you said and/vote for a man that is not qualified to run this country for two many reasons.
    I admit that I am disapppointed in the Clintons. My mother taught me good sportsmanship isworth a milions. I voted for them. But never again when you try to destroy your on party to hurt your own country.
    Sorry, the Clintons have shown a side that I did not know exit. But believe me I know now. America why do you fear a African American being President. The white man has held this position forever, sometime, it good to try something new when the old has not worked in some cases, like the last 8 years.
    Sen. Obama doesn't bite, he is just an intelligence man. CNN I used to enjoy watching you but that is fading quickly. What happened? Like we all said, Time Russert was a great lose to America and the News shows. I wish more news reporters would try to follow his example. But.....

July 12, 2008 at 12:20 pm |
  10. JudyT.

Its hard to believe Sen. Clinton did'nt win. It was just so presumed that she would win. It must be hard to let go of something she wanted for so long.

July 12, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  11. jeckema

I have written to virtually every news show during the course of this campaign to call attention to the consistent negativism directed toward Hillary Clinton throughout the primary season. I am amazed that professional journalists have been so blind to the biased nature of the press coverage. It has been unethical and shameful. Having said all that, now that the campaign is suspended and we're moving toward the convention, I see no alternative to Obama. There are possibly two or three Supreme Court appointments to be made in the coming terms. McCain has promised to support conservative justices. What sort of legislation will survive a court like that? I would love to see Hillary as VP, but top priority is to get the Republicans out of the White House. They have made a shambles of this country. A third term of Republican control would be beyond disastrous.

July 12, 2008 at 7:34 am |
  12. keain

If Obama Lose she got her day comming to what goes around comes around because they need to stop all this B/S come-on a show about Obama cant win without her a think thats sad for someone to air this.And this B/S about 18million voters I dont beleive this one bit and the Media knows this, we can count,dont forget Republicans came out in droves to vote for her because they know John MCcain what of beat her.So slash that 6million votes.AND this aint nothing but REPUBLICANS posing as Hillary Supporters who voted for her in the primary thats the Republicans game secret to divide the party and us Democrats cant see this they already call us a NATION OF WHINIERS .DONT BE STUPID BY THIS REPUBLICAN GAME SECRET VOTE YOUR OWN MIND.

July 12, 2008 at 2:58 am |
  13. Jill J.

Anderon I enjoyed your show tonight on Hillary except Tara Walls down remarks and constant frowns toward the Clintons. If she doesn't like the Clinton's she should have been silent or better yet not even be on this show tonight.

July 12, 2008 at 1:44 am |