AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
July 2nd, 2008

Anderson's View: Competing to win

Anderson Cooper

Thank You.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you who watch our broadcast for helping us win against our competition again this quarter. It’s the second quarter in a row we’ve won in the most important demographic, and it is all because of you. We’ve focused a lot on politics these past six months, and our viewers have responded. It’s great to win, but it’s even better to win reporting on things that are important. So, thank you, and I promise we will continue to work hard to bring you in depth coverage of the day's most important stories.

I know it’s popular to attack one’s competition in cable news. Some people seem to spend as much time trashing their rivals as they do reporting the news. I understand why they do it, I get it, but I don’t want to take part in it, and I respect the fact that my competition on FOX, Greta Van Susteren has chosen not to do that as well. She has her program, I have mine. They are very different, but I respect her hard work and intelligence. I think the competition between us makes both our broadcasts better.

Filed under: Anderson Cooper
  1. Annie Kate

Congrats on the ratings win. That must be very rewarding after you and your team's hard work. I watch your show because of the in-depth look at issues – looking at all sides instead of just a 2 line report of the end facts. The way your show has done the campaign for President has helped me understand a lot more about how things work in the parties and on the political trail. I thank you for that.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

July 2, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  2. Eve, Long Island

Anderson,

We viewers should thank you...thank you for taking the high road.

July 2, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  3. Gail Duncan

Not much on awards but happy to know many feel that 360 is on top of things and not afraid to dig in which is why I stay in tune. Wish I could stay up later and converse but we are on different clocks (BooHooo....pity party, I Know) but it's 4am in germany when you all are on. Stay on it, and keep us informed.

July 2, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  4. Tracey - Boston

You are welcome Anderson.

I never went out of my way to watch CNN (when I had cable in the past) unless something bad was happening.

Life has been on the upswing for me the last six months. After two years living in Boston and working as a temp I finally got a permanent job. The PC I'm using was given to me in January and I learned about podcasts. I saw yours and knew it would be quality work.

After a couple of months of watching the podcasts, a day late and having my rent current for the first time in over a year, I broke down and ordered regular cable. I read your book, too. I always wanted to write about my life and reading your book helped me understand that it can be combined with another story, and work. I'm half way through a writing memoir's class and learning so much.

Anderson, thank you!

July 2, 2008 at 8:31 pm |
  5. Sarah

Anderson.....

Congrats.

I am glad Greta has leaned to take the high road and nnot get the claws out.

July 2, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  6. Sherri

Anderson-

Thanks to you and the stellar AC360 cast and crew- you don't treat your viewers as ignorant or incapable of making our own decisions. I've been a faithful viewer of CNN since Princess Diana's death. I find CNN gives me information that is just not available on the other stations. Last year here in the area where I live there was a collapse of a freeway overpass under construction- and I got more concise information from CNN than the two local TV and Radio stations put out! There is a quote from Aristotle that I like a lot "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit" I think AC360 has the habit of excellence and is aware that keeping the bar high is the way to maintain the habit. Thanks for making us aware of stories that we would not be exposed to otherwise. Thanks for not taking your viewers for granted.

July 2, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  7. pati mc., camp hill, pa

No Anderson, thank YOU......

.........for staying on target, for having old fashioned class and values, for never forgetting the improtant stories that no one else reports on. What you have written about your competition is one of the many things that makes me have the utmost respect for you. Your intelligence, compassion and wit make you a rarity and we are all so thankful to have you and 360.

Now that I have made you blush horribly I will digress. Humble man, another thing that makes you so great. Ooops! Sorry!

Keep it up. Seriously. There is no one better. Be well, good man.

July 2, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  8. MaryEllen Texas

Anderson, AC360 deserves the "win". The camraderie amongst yourself, your staff, & often with your guests is always apparent whether subjects being covered are tough or light of heart. AC360 has an excellent balance and the AC360 team consciously keeps it on target and at a level of human dignity and respect. Even when Campbell covers in your absence– the same depth of quality exists in the show because the individuals know they are all part of the bigger whole and contribute for a common goal of serving the viewers and not for individual self. Now ya'll go have some 4th July fun and celebrate safely!!!

July 2, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    You're welcome!!! I love your show AC360 everynight!!! Congrats Anderson! I am glad you are so special anchor of 360! Glad I can help! You made me so funny or laugh I saw! I am enjoying your program! you are number one! you are my favorite fan! Have a fun!
    See you there soon! I will join your Live Blog tonight! XXOO
    Megan D
    Shoreline, WA
    P.S. Yippppeeeee! I am so happy! Congrats!!!

July 2, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  10. deborah, OH

Congrats Anderson!
    Glad we could help. Of course, you & the 360 team are the BEST!

And, It's nice that you recognize Greta' s abilities & hard work also–yeah, you're that kind of guy.

Again, we are proud of all of you–we'll do our part, so you do yours.!!

July 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  11. joanne- Calgary , Canada

Anderson ,
    Congrats, and THANK YOU and the 360 team for making the news worth watching.. keep up the good work!!!

July 2, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  12. jen rose

Congratulations on the win, you guys deserved it! I enjoy watching you guys everynight.

July 2, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  13. Dina

Congratulations to the 360 Team! I have to admit that once I started watching 360, I never went back to watching Access Hollywood or Entertainment Tonight (aired in the same time frame on the west coast). You've opened my mind to much more and I thank you! Keep up the good work!

July 2, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  14. Denise

Congrats on the ratings win. You are so welcome.

July 2, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  15. Adrian Cherry

This is my first time commenting on your website. I'm really here to comment on your book but cannot make a comment in the area set aside for your book, so I'll comment here. First of all I do enjoy your program. I enjoy the topics that you cover on your program, keep up the good work.

I have read your book, it takes alot of guts to reach back into the past, as well as the areas where there still are some emotions. I am sure that you have gained alot in expressing your true feelings with the experiences you had growing up, and losing your brother, as well as going into war zones and other experiences relating to your work. With all that you have been through, I can sense that you are a sensitive and caring individual. I enjoyed reading your book,"Dispatches From The Edge" and hope that someday soon you may decide to write another book on new experiences.

July 2, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  16. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Anderson,
    You and the entire 360 team create a quality broadcast each night. That takes not only a high degree of professionalism, but a group of people who like and respect one another.

It's also enjoyable to be included in part of the show through the web cam, live blog, article blogs, and Beat 360. It makes your show unique and one we look forward to each night.

Congratulations to all, and may your ratings continue to rise. Be proud of what you have accomplished, and enjoy the rest of the journey.

July 2, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  17. Cherisa

Congratulations on reaching your desired goal.

I'm one of the few who doesn't care much for the political coverage. Between the blog and evening broadcasts, though, you provide enough variety to keep me informed and engaged.

Keep up the good work.

July 2, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  18. David Ellis

Rethinking Flood Control Mississippi
    My business is environmental restoration. Around 2 am the other night a thought came to me. We need more oil, our oil wells are low and many not worth pumping and many of these used up wells are adjacent to the Mississippi river. Why not direct flood waters into oil used up oil wells?
    Think about it. Say a well over the last 100 years had supplied 1 million barrels of oil. Science tells us that 100,000 barrels are still in pockets within this set of caverns but we can not reach it. Droughts are a coming issue with climate change followed by floods of this magnitude so if we channel flood waters into 90% dry wells and control the inflow of water as the well fills up the oil will float to the top and we can pump it off. The two will separate so well that once the oil is pumped off the now water well can be capped until the next drought and farmers can tap the water. Learning to work with climate changes.
    David Ellis President, Renewable Resources

July 2, 2008 at 7:02 pm |
  19. Jean, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Congratulations Anderson and your team.
    I think the humour plays a big part in making the show popular. Politics can be dry, world events distressing, so a good chuckle helps us all out.

Can you give some insight as to how they determine ratings Anderson.
    Also I would be interested to know the age group 360 is targeting. I am in my late 50'S. ( at the older end of the neighbours on my street.). The majority of my neighbours are late 30's -to early 40's both working with children and a commute to work. There are very few lights on after 10pm on my street.

If I bring up a topic from your show at the office, it is the usually the girls in my age range that have watched the show.

July 2, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  20. Cynthia

Congratulations on winning. Love blogging at night with you all but hate it when I get put in moderation. lol

July 2, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  21. Mary H - St. Louis, MO

Way to go AC and AC360 staff. That is so awesome to hear and has to make you guys proud of what you are doing. Hope to be able to catch the show tonight and to blog live. 4th of July gatherings and events will take me away for a few days but will catch you in reruns...

Ok, the year is half over and just think that in 6 months, we will be through the debates, election, another ball dropping at Times Square and who know what else... Looking forward to the coverage over the next several months which is sure to be exciting...

July 2, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  22. Kathy S

No, really, "thank you Anderson! " You and your crew do a wonderful job. Love AC360.

July 2, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  23. Genevieve M, TX

Anderson, you just said a bad word..."FOX"! –just joking! ;)

360 is my favorite news program as there is a "little bit of something" for everyone. Politics often bore me to no end, but somehow this program manages to "keep it fresh and keep it real" when it comes to politics.

I especially like how you, Anderson, remain unbiased and are open to all opinions- even if you don't agree with all of them. I also appreciate that the 360 team listens to the viewers and allows us to play an active role in the program via the blogs.

Keep up the good work, you all (360 staff) are the best!!

July 2, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  24. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes, AC, it's my pleasure to watch your show! You and the 360 staff help to keep me a step ahead of my college age twins. You are able to take us to places around the world and introduce us to news we might otherwise miss. I have never been so interested in politics before. I love how you always try to show both sides and let us make up our own minds. I hope you win your time slot for years to come. Have a great holiday!

July 2, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  25. Mitchell

Anderson,

Thank you for presenting the news as a human being. I appreciate your compassion and empathy. Its rare to find a journalist who can also be described as a concerned citizen. Congratulations!!

July 2, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  26. Maxine

Snaps for you Anderson! And the rest of the 360 dudes... The show is awesome. The way you guys handle the issues and the coverage you provide is exceptional. You never miss a beat. I am currently in school & majoring in broadcast journalism. I can only hope that one day I too will be able to tell stories the way that you and your team do. Always keeping 'em honest. Thanks for the inspiration!

July 2, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  27. Vicky, Ontario, Canada

Anderson,

It's very nice of you to thank us, but we watch because you put out a great news program. While I watch pretty much every night, you're also competing with some pretty great news options here in Canada (CBC, BBC). I can be loyal to Canadian news by watching earlier.

From the blog and Beat 360, I know you have many Canadian viewers. We don't count in the demographics, but still appreciate your unique coverage of the news. Thanks for your continuing dispatches from New Orleans. Please keep providing stories from around the world - your travels to Africa and places where the news is happening. Will continue to stick with you through what seems to be an almost never-ending election process. Really appreciate Erica's input and the views of your panel members too. David Gergen is a favourite.

July 2, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  28. Tammy, Berwick, LA

You're quite welcome. I don't believe I've ever seen a news reporter and anchor thanking viewers in quite this way. Then again, you are a step above most reporters and anchors. You all put on an intelligent program that is balanced between the hard core reality of news and the lighter side of humanity. We need that balance. I do appreciate that you let your guests have their say, don't throw your agenda into the conversation, and offer multiple perspectives so we can decide. I do not always agree with your experts (some days I am not sure how they even gained that title of expert), but I simply take what I need and leave the rest (which I think is the format's purpose). You make me think critically outside of my "box", and that is no small feat. Congrats on being number one!!! You all have earned it.

July 2, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  29. Manoel Queiroz

I'm very proud of to say that i watch this program, even if i started to watch it last week. I can say that i'm not going to stop watch so early. Because of Two Points: First Point: The News are given on a way everyone can understand and go deeper and deeper to see how that situation will affect our everyday lives and that thing i found only on Anderson Cooper 360º! Second Point: Anderson Cooper and Erica Hill Charisma make this program, at least for me more than an evening news, it's became the place where i learn a little more about the world i live. That's Why I'm Very Proud to know that my participation it's so important. And Long Life for Anderson Cooper 360º!! My Best Regards. Manoel Queiroz, From Brazil!!

July 2, 2008 at 5:56 pm |