June 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/30/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. EJ (USA)

What Horn did is so wrong on so many levels, I can't even think of the words to describe it. It's even a bit more disturbing that there are people cheering him on for shooting 2 people in the back.

June 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

Hey, Texas you can walk around in the street with a gun

June 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Linda

Mr. Horn is a murderer plain and simple. He went outside of his house after being told not to by a representative of the police and then said he was threatened, by two men he shot IN THE BACK. They were not beating down his door, they were not in his house, they were outside where he went to find them. I don't condone their behavior but that is why we have police and a court system. Mr. Horn took the law into his own hands and for some reason beyond me, the grand jury pardoned him.

June 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Will, Rochester, NY

Let's be clear on this, Joel Horn did clearly know that they were not residents of the property, and I believe he whitnessed them enter via a window (that they broke through), and then come back out carrying a TV or something like that. Personally, I think killing people over property is over the top, but he clearly knew they were robbing the place.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

That he got away with these murders is just uncivilized. this country needs a lot of change!

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Heath

Here in Alabama, you can not shoot to kill unless you fear for your life if someone is on your property.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Riccardo Page

Joe Horn sounded as if he was waiting for a reason to shoot a burglar. When did the value of a human life become equal to that of a dvd/vcr combo and flat screen?

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Dee F.

I find it interesting that one person can get away with shooting 2 persons in the back and yet another gets jail time for dog fighting.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Paul Challoner - somerset , uk

We had an incident similar to whats happened to Mr Horn in the UK. That guy was actually jailed but later released due to public pressure as he was only protecting his farm.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. mark

He was wrong to shoot them in the back during property theft. These may have been bad people with long rap sheets but you can't kill someone for petty theft. I'm a conservative who believes in the death pentaly but not vigilante justice at someone elses house. He made a poor choice.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Genevieve M, TX

I agree with Serena 100%. Letting this guy go sends a strong message to criminals that it is NOT ok to commit criminal acts.

June 30, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  12. mollie

i would much rather things stolen from my home than anyone attempting to shoot anyone in the process. if i was home at the time, i'd have to think about it, but i'd probably think the same.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Keith

The law is that you protect your property and belongings, with Mr. Horn verbally stated that he was going outside knowing what was going on he put hiself at risk and that did not give him justification to kill. That is a quickly premeditated murder.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  14. Craig

Horn was right. Get the bad people out of here. I can't afford to house these criminals and pay for their lawyers.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  15. MaryBeth

Oh no...the Zodiac again? Haven't there already been two Zodiac killers? Aren't astrological signs too passe to be using as a reason to kill someone? It's been done twice already...come up with something original.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  16. Jason

Joe Horn made the right decision. How can anyone possibly protest Mr Horn's acts?

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Melinda

I don't know the whole story, but... what about the victim's rights? If someone comes into your home, you should have the right to defend yourself. What if you have children sleeping there?

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. zolton

Great verdict, tired of criminals getting the benefit of the law.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. howard schramm

This is open and shut ..... Joe was within his rights....I am just sorry he didn;t use a cannon to blow these guys away.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Hannah

The right to bear arms is meant for us to have the ability to overthrow our government if it became a dictatorship.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Hannah Storm

the story from Texas is just so wrong. There is never any justification to just shot someone.....especially when he knew the cops were on the way

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Paulette, NYC

While I don't think Mr. Horn should be charged with murder, I do think he should be charged with a lesser crime like manslaughter. His life was never in danger and he took it upon himself to take the law into his own hands by shooting these two men whom never posed any danger to him.

June 30, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Heather

Joe Horn was justified in shooting those guys. They were armed and who says they werent going to go to his home next?

24. nick flaker

why did the guy,horn,even bother calling 911...just shoot the thugs and call the meat wagon.

25. jackie Chino Hills, CA

varmits? hehe is that how you spell it? i just remember that being said in all the cartoons.

26. EJ (USA)

He was just doing what he thought was right.

I don't buy that. How can someone justify in their mind shooting 2 people in the back. I think that's pretty sick regardless of what the law says. Anyone who can do that has some severe issues.

27. Anthony, South Florida

I think Horn could have shot at other legs or another part of theor bodies, instead of killing them. I feel citizens do not have a right to take another life, regardless of the crime; that's what the police is there for.

28. Hank

Its unfortunate to take someone's life over property. It's obvious that Joe Horn was out to shoot someone no matter what the circumstances or any viable threat.

29. David, Indiana

Seems like Mr. Horn went in pursuit, that's something the police should do. Even the police sometimes avoid confrontation and follow until they can apprehend somebody.

30. Michelle in CA

People shot in the back are running away...hmmm.

31. Jake

It is unfortunate that Mr Horn had to resort to this action. I am concerned that some people will use this as an example to become a vigilante for justice.

32. Minou, New York City

he wasn't protecting himself! he was simply shooting to kill for fun...and now he got away with it and serves as an inspiration to others...great!

33. Carol

His actions go so far beyond what the law was meant to allow. He walked out of that house with the specific intent to kill.

34. JoeyZ

I think Mr. Horn was correct in shooting the burglars. If we saw that happen a few dozen more times on the front pages...maybe thieves will think twice about breaking and entering a man's home.

35. Caroline

Oh great! So the grand jury did not indict him because they wanted to "send a message" to all illegals. Great!

I'm disgusted. Note to self: never visit Texas.

36. Travis, NYC

Hey, you break into someone's house (anyone's house), you could get shot. Period. Don't break into houses, and you don't have anything to worry about.

37. Serena

I live in Canada and I believe that if more people were shot while trying to rob homes, thieves might think twice before breaking and entering! God Bless America.

38. Kevin, Las Vegas, NV

Mr. Horn did not break the law. Not the way the law is written. The focus should be on changing that law, because in just about any other state, what he did was premeditated murder. The 911 tape is proof positive of premeditation. We should not forget about the two men that were killed, but we will forget about Mr. Horn. But that law must be changed.

39. Kathy, Chicago

I don't think it is a good idea to be shooting people. I have a problem with personal guns. I'd like to think that we could find other ways to solve problems without shooting each other.

40. Rich Newman

Joe Horn is my hero. If they were not in our country this would not have happended. Go Joe Horn

41. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I question if the fact that the burglars were illegal immigrants played a role in the jury's decision.

42. Rich

He did the right thing.

we need to beable to protect our self.

Its the LAW

43. Genevieve M, TX

If I thought my life was in danger, I would shoot too.

44. Ellen

First time on here. I love you, Anderson. You are great at what you do. My question is, why did he have to kill them? Why in the back? Why not wound them? Seems he was determined to kill them, no regard for human life. Illegal or legal aliens, they are nonetheless human beings. Thanks for taking my blog. :o)

45. MaryBeth

I agree, Cameron...they were running away...not towards.

46. russ spataro

Give the Texas guy a medal for shooting these two criminals. Bravo

47. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Only in Texas 😦

48. Julius Sexton

He was justified in shooting the men if they were trying to rob him or break into his home. If he was just being paranoid then no, it was wrong. But in all honesty, i would do the SAME thing if someone was breaking into my home.

49. Taz Carper

The law clearly stated that if someone was breaking into a neighbors house, you can shoot them to protect the house. Obviously the suspects ran when he told them to stop. They decided to run when told to stop at gun point. Any reasonable person would have stopped, but then again, these were unreasonable by breaking into a house. The illegal immigration issue is irrelevant.

50. Kyle

He was right in shooting the criminals

1 2 3 4 5